boneboys

Exp Update: 0.56.127TheBeast.

Alright, wish me luck. I normally play 1PP, but I'm about to start a 3PP Exp character to attempt "The Challenge". Those have higher traffic so it should be even harder.

• Like 1

So weirdest thing:

I decided I'd try some walking/jogging/sprinting trials from newspawn to starving status (death? not sure yet) and decided to suicide my 3pp character with a landmine I was carrying.

So I setup the landmine, safely back away and hit activate.

Then there are messages: "landmine active in 3"..."2..."..."1..." "landmine is active".

Firstly, I'd never seen this before so that's cool but I still want to kill myself. So I run forward, run over the landmine and.... I get a red message: "you've been hurt by a landmine" but I noticed really no damage to speak of. There was no explosion. Must be something they're testing. Very cool though. I still put my blaze under my chin though and pulled the trigger.

Let the walking/jogging/sprinting begin!

Never done any testing but I'm fairly certain the jogging/sprinting works out about where the oldish WOBO video said it should. There was no mention or testing of walking but I rather unscientifically a few patches ago walked the entire west then north side of the map on something like 8 zucchinis an 2 pet bottles without dropping below dark green anything. It took the better part of 6-8 hours.

I did some walking the other day on EXP though and found even well dressed you get cold fairly quickly, didn't have that on stable last time I did any extended walks.  

Sounds very fine with me, i can be Online around 12:30 -13:00 PST (21:00 CET :3)

In dayz im around gvozdno , well , the village Southern of severograd.

Yeah, I know where Gvozdno is, Im northeast of Severo, shouldn't take longer than 30m for me to get there, less if my truck is still where I logged out. What server do you want me to go on?

Unfortunately to get a base starting point where I know that my beginning state is as close to the same as possible, I had to just start going at spawn. I just finished making two characters unconscious, one through sprinting and another through jogging...

Basic setup: Started with one rate of movement from spawn where I spawned and kept going at that rate of movement until I passed out.

Sprinting I passed out at 23:11. South Kamyshovo spawn took me into Berezino just following the road, though I did make one detour at the factory north of Solnichniy.

Jogging I passed out at 34:00. Funny enough I spawned in the south of Berezino, from there I went north to check out the Berezino summer camp which I had never seen before, then headed through the woods to the gas station and proceeded west/northwest. I finally passed out in downtown Severograd.

Unfortunately there's no real way to measure the exact distance with this methodology but simply looking at my route on the map, they are pretty similar as far as total distance traveled. On way of moving was just faster than the other but lead to a ~30% drop survival time. It seems likely that the speed increase given by sprinting isn't so significant to make up for the greater cost in calories/hydration and leads to similar results for total distance traveled. Finally, it's worth noting that in both cases hydration and energy were both killing me by the time i passed out. By the time I had dropped unconscious sprinting, I was still not dying of dehydration/hunger in my jogging run. Walking should be really interesting but I probably won't be able to do it till this afternoon.

EDIT: One other detail: sprinting I never had to worry about body temperature but while jogging I could see my heat dropping. So in my jogging run I made a detour in Berezino to jog through a few houses until I found a wool coat. I never in either trial had an actual body heat condition, hot or cold.

EDIT 2: With a quick estimation of my route using DayZDB map, both routes were roughly 7km.

Edited by Ebrim
  • Like 2

Took 20 minutes to go from fresh spawn to healthy on a server that was clearly well picked. The gatehouses with the mil loot had zero items, police station was bare, 95% of houses were completely empty.

JgAPBAK.jpg

n9FSY0Q.jpg

I ate a total of 5 berries, 1 apple. And I've only been playing this game for about 4 months. Lmfao.

Edited by ColdAtrophy
  • Like 5

I had a nice run last night. Found a damaged long range scope and then a mosin and it would not attach. I chucked them both because I have no rounds for mosin anyway. I found 6 assault vests in a sand bag post at the very north of NW Airfield 20 feet to the south from the gate on the road. It's the 3 walls of sand bags about 4 feet high. A bunch of assault vests were in the same spot on another server later that night. I found a SKS next to a tank there in the tents. I found a winchester 70 and then a sporter 22 in guard towers. I found someones purple backpack floating in the air a couple feet out of a guard tower which I could loot from in the tower and on the ground underneath it. Thanks for the info on cooking with an ash stick and starting a fire with bark etc..I'll have to try that soon. Currently I have so much food that I am eating it just to make more room in inventory. It this keeps up I will change my name to stuffed.

Yeah, I know where Gvozdno is, Im northeast of Severo, shouldn't take longer than 30m for me to get there, less if my truck is still where I logged out. What server do you want me to go on?

Well i dont care about the server, i swear for One of us the lags will be too damn High :D im playing on UK-1-0-3, but we can go on a Pacific server just as well, there is daylight anyway, so...seems good to me.

Well i dont care about the server, i swear for One of us the lags will be too damn High :D im playing on UK-1-0-3, but we can go on a Pacific server just as well, there is daylight anyway, so...seems good to me.

Im home, I just realized our ammo for the mosin is back on the tent of the other side of map. Gotta go get it, so slight delay.

Anybody managed to refuel a V3S with a jerry can..?

I've tried looking at it from every angle, with the can in my hands (81%) and just can't get the refuel option to pop up.

So finished my walking test and I went unconscious in 35:27:

Walking: 35:27

Jogging: 34:00

Sprinting: 23:11

----------------------------

All these are from spawn, wherever I spawned at one speed until I went unconscious. The obvious anomaly is walking but there's a very easy explanation for that: cold. Unfortunately, walking just doesn't make you very warm and I was unable to find warm clothing fast enough to prevent the cold status. What this means is that walking is very very efficient in a calories burnt per second measurement. How do I know it's crazy efficient? Well, by the time I went unconscious walking I was only yellow thirsty whereas went I dropped while jogging/sprinting I was dying of dehydration. Cold only effects energy, not hydration and it's the cold that actually made me collapse by sapping my energy and less the walking. Without the cold status, maybe I could have made it an hour or more gauging by my thirst level.

The only real takeaway from these tests is confirmation that sprinting is most expensive, jogging is less expensive and walking is quite cheap. This of course makes sense but it hasn't always been the case so it's useful to at least have it confirmed, for me anyway. All of this information could inform strategy but I don't think it dictates strategy to any extent.

Edited by Ebrim
  • Like 7

So finished my walking test and I went unconscious in 35:27:

Walking: 35:27

Jogging: 34:00

Sprinting: 23:11

----------------------------

All these are from spawn, wherever I spawned at one speed until I went unconscious. The obvious anomaly is walking but there's a very easy explanation for that: cold. Unfortunately, walking just doesn't make you very warm and I was unable to find warm clothing fast enough to prevent the cold status. What this means is that walking is very very efficient in a calories burnt per second measurement. How do I know it's crazy efficient? Well, by the time I went unconscious walking I was only yellow thirsty whereas went I dropped while jogging/sprinting I was dying of dehydration. Cold only effects energy, not hydration and it's the cold that actually made me collapse by sapping my energy and less the walking. Without the cold status, maybe I could have made it an hour or more gauging by my thirst level.

The only real takeaway from these tests is confirmation that sprinting is most expensive, jogging is less expensive and walking is quite cheap. This of course makes sense but it hasn't always been the case so it's useful to at least have it confirmed, for me anyway. All of this information could inform strategy but I don't think it dictates strategy to any extent.

With the jogging/running, were you dying from both? What exact status effects did you have?

Oh, and heat saps water, while yes, cold saps energy.

Edited by Beizs

Never done any testing but I'm fairly certain the jogging/sprinting works out about where the oldish WOBO video said it should. There was no mention or testing of walking but I rather unscientifically a few patches ago walked the entire west then north side of the map on something like 8 zucchinis an 2 pet bottles without dropping below dark green anything. It took the better part of 6-8 hours.

I did some walking the other day on EXP though and found even well dressed you get cold fairly quickly, didn't have that on stable last time I did any extended walks.  

One thing WOBO didn't test was hands up or down.  It is proven that, if your hands are empty, when you raise your hands you sprint faster.

• Like 1

One thing WOBO didn't test was hands up or down. It is proven that, if your hands are empty, when you raise your hands you sprint faster.

I'm off work sick today and got woke up from my nap so I'm going to repeat a few of these tests too.

Good point, WOBO missed a lot of stuff in this one and its also old and things have changed.

Dropped my gear and blew my brains out on 3pp. Started with the walking test and had 2 server crashes. Trying to kill myself with nothing right now and start again.

FYI walking in starter clothes cold sets in at about 10 minutes. Gonna do all my test without finding a coat first and go from there.

**I have two accounts, computers, and a helper tonite I think, might try some more in depth testing this evening if junior is into it. **

Edited by BCBasher

One thing WOBO didn't test was hands up or down. It is proven that, if your hands are empty, when you raise your hands you sprint faster.

I tested this on stable a while back, and it wasn't true. Its been over 6 months since my test. Maybe they added this glitch back in since then.

I tested this on stable a while back, and it wasn't true. Its been over 6 months since my test. Maybe they added this glitch back in since then.

Yeah, this was only true pretty damn early in the game. Remember them fixing this and everybody flipping shit because it took too long to run places.  :lol:

So the question is 'does it matter' what speed you move at? Sure, time wise, you live longer by walking, but if you cover the same distance walking and dying, compared to running and dying, then running is the clear winner. 

• Like 1

So the question is 'does it matter' what speed you move at? Sure, time wise, you live longer by walking, but if you cover the same distance walking and dying, compared to running and dying, then running is the clear winner.

I have a feeling that will change if you have s coat. I'm tempted to fire up the lap top so I can give my guy a coat right off the bat and retest walking. Think my server resets in ten anyway.

I have a feeling that will change if you have s coat. I'm tempted to fire up the lap top so I can give my guy a coat right off the bat and retest walking. Think my server resets in ten anyway.

Well I for one , never get lucky finding canned goods when I need it so walking and jogging mixed works well for me , whenever I sprint (run) everywhere I die within a half hour because I also get impatient easily when running everywhere it seems and I don't stop for the berries / apples / hidden loot spots ,.. So I guess it's up to player preference , but Ultimately since this game aims for realism I would say a mix of all 3 would server you pretty well ! As long as the systems aren't Glitching ...

Haha no Problem, i will be Online in One hour, so no need to push yourself

I think the server that the tent is on got aten. Its been down for 15 minutes... Im hoping it will come back after the restart in 2 minutes. If not, I feel terrible, and I'll try to give you something else.

I think the server that the tent is on got aten. Its been down for 15 minutes... Im hoping it will come back after the restart in 2 minutes. If not, I feel terrible, and I'll try to give you something else.

Ok do your best, same happended to me earlier the day.  Im ready to go already, so just say as you are. u can text message me via this forum, so we could exchange steam data

Which is why I have never given (or followed) any advice regarding running versus jogging. Everyone can make that choice for themselves based on what fits their needs. For me, I sprint everywhere full speed all the time and it's been a hell of a long time since I've died of starvation in any version of the game. In fact, I can count on one hand the number of times I've succumbed to hunger in my 1100+ hours of playing. I'm not bragging or anything, just saying that jogging is hardly necessary if you've got your other survival skills well-honed and have confidence in your ability to loot and forage.

Edited by Tatanko
  • Like 3

With the jogging/running, were you dying from both? What exact status effects did you have?

Oh, and heat saps water, while yes, cold saps energy.

Yup both while jogging and sprinting I was dying from both starvation and dehydration by the end.

Heat does sap water but it was never a problem I ran into the only status effect I had during all the tests was cold while walking.

• Like 1

It matters dependent upon your situation and goals. What it is ultimately true is that there is no dominant strategy for every situation based only upon movement speed and calorie/hydration loss.

Which is why I have never given (or followed) any advice regarding running versus jogging. Everyone can make that choice for themselves based on what fits their needs. For me, I sprint everywhere full speed all the time and it's been a hell of a long time since I've died of starvation in any version of the game. In fact, I can count on one hand the number of times I've succumbed to hunger in my 1100+ hours of playing. I'm not bragging or anything, just saying that jogging is hardly necessary if you've got your other survival skills well-honed and have confidence in your ability to loot and forage.

Yep and I think that's the right policy in general is that everyone can develop their own preference. There's no choice here that is ultimately worse than the other except perhaps walking for long-distance travel. It's just way too time expensive for most people I think. The only real reason I'd advise someone to start getting used to jogging speed is that I doubt that sprinting everywhere all the time will be viable with a stamina system. That's only speculation though.

Edited by Ebrim
  • Like 2