treetop82

New favorite activity: tent hunting

Buddy and I decided to explore the north for tents, after he found a small one I found this monster with another tent nearby, plus vehicles, 10+ more backpacks full of ammo. Exploration can be very lucrative in this "base development" era.

n0GnIJI.jpg

mYKWdyF.jpg

These guys have beartraps and mines. Makes me wonder why they didn't at least secure the camp with it. I mean, of course they would have to relocate, but at least they make it a bit harder to get to their camp. I think the problem with mines is that you can impossibly guess what radius will trigger them. So most people don't use them without having that experience. I also only take pristine mines, which are quite hard to come by. even now. 

What else did you do after this? Did you take any tents or just gear. The last camp I build in the north was completely raided. Only binoculars and the fireplace remained  :( But it was pretty obvious and not planned for eternity anyways. I just miss the military tent. I can never find them in the barracks and only thanks to the central loot economy thing I actually found 2. All long gone, of course. Moving on :)

That's some pretty awesome luck!

I would simply be happy to find a random empty tent to use, but with the loot system not yet at its full potential, persistence wipes will still be a common occurance and is almost usless to bother hoarding like that

These guys have beartraps and mines. Makes me wonder why they didn't at least secure the camp with it. I mean, of course they would have to relocate, but at least they make it a bit harder to get to their camp. I think the problem with mines is that you can impossibly guess what radius will trigger them. So most people don't use them without having that experience. I also only take pristine mines, which are quite hard to come by. even now. 

What else did you do after this? Did you take any tents or just gear. The last camp I build in the north was completely raided. Only binoculars and the fireplace remained   :( But it was pretty obvious and not planned for eternity anyways. I just miss the military tent. I can never find them in the barracks and only thanks to the central loot economy thing I actually found 2. All long gone, of course. Moving on :)

We didn't take their tents, just armed up and left in a vehicle of theirs. The next day the camp was gone, but I found it again lol. I also ran into 4 military tents near the Mishinko military camp on the west side. I do wonder if mines and beartraps are persistent though. If a server resets, do you lose the item? If so, then placing them right now might be pointless, unless you are in a very busy area or the server has a full 40 people.

Also, when we approach tents we expect them to be rigged to explode. I usually walk in very slow and look for mines. I have blown myself up once with one, and you literally have to walk right on top of it.

We didn't take their tents, just armed up and left in a vehicle of theirs. The next day the camp was gone, but I found it again lol. I also ran into 4 military tents near the Mishinko military camp on the west side. I do wonder if mines and beartraps are persistent though. If a server resets, do you lose the item? If so, then placing them right now might be pointless, unless you are in a very busy area or the server has a full 40 people.

Also, when we approach tents we expect them to be rigged to explode. I usually walk in very slow and look for mines. I have blown myself up once with one, and you literally have to walk right on top of it.

That's a good question. I actually don't know if mines are perstistent now, I suppose they aren't. Because then they would be useful ;) Just have to try it out again. Don't have much of a camp to do that now. Anyway, every couple of weeks this gets wiped anyway, so benji-milo is right about that. Our last two camps vanished completely in the last patch - even though they were supposed to stay. Coupld of days later everything on that server stayed persistant. Now that server is down forgood. Trying to trust two new servers now, hope tomorrow nothing gets lost in the update!

Also, nice you didn't take the tents, though you should have set up their own mines in their camp. I would do sooo much damage, just because I'd know these are the people who are to blame that I can't find any military tents or magazines ^^

Your biggest mistake, posting this with pics. 

You could have just taken what you wanted and used that as a supply depot to steal from.  With that much equipment they may never have noticed.

Now they have a whole thread pointing out their mistake in location. lol

Don't expect those tents to stay for long (assuming someone they play with or one of their friends reads these forums).

Advice.....when one discovers a hidden hoard, keep it secret! 

• Like 2

There WILL come a time where gearing up will be so much quicker by running the west and northern sides of the map. 

When I boot up any version of the mod looking to pvp, that's my route for quick gear.

So that's why I spent a week and a half looking for AK mags.

lol, that's why i can't nevet find usefull stuff, time to tent hunting. ;)

• Like 1

Whats really the point of hoarding so much ammo and guns? I mean, enough is enough right? Its not like you're going to get to use all of it, or even a fraction.

Too bad the act of tent hunting, my favorite activity in the mod, will probably be reduced to nothing with the increased marginalization of usable and isolated wilderness, unsuitable rarity of tents, a lack of worthwhile loot to store, and more attractive alternatives like barricading coming.

• Like 2

I also ran into 4 military tents near the Mishinko military camp on the west side.

Can i get my mosin back? or did you left the ghillie suit? :D

Its gone now, packed up and moved halfway across the map

DayZ is a sandbox-game based around survival and scavenging. Very uniek and very thrilled. As a hoarder myself. I have noticed that i like trying to accomplish goals. Hoard first what i like > than execute a certain play style within the borders of the sandbox. Thats my game. Whats yours?

So that's why I spent a week and a half looking for AK mags.

Pretty sure I read that when someone puts things in a tent or pack they no longer 'belong' to the server so more of that item will spawn??

Pretty sure I read that when someone puts things in a tent or pack they no longer 'belong' to the server so more of that item will spawn??

Yeah, but if people are hopping and stashing faster than I can do my more organic approach which involves traveling around on one server, then I have no chance. 

Yeah, but if people are hopping and stashing faster than I can do my more organic approach which involves traveling around on one server, then I have no chance. 

Thats why I play private

The ironic thing about tents is that when you set up a camp, you are bound to be robbed. It is simply not worth it to set up camp. The map is too small. I think we need at least a map of about at least 4x the current size.

• Like 2

The ironic thing about tents is that when you set up a camp, you are bound to be robbed. It is simply not worth it to set up camp. The map is too small. I think we need at least a map of about at least 4x the current size.

I disagree. My camps (plural) have been untouched for 3 weeks. You just have to think like the person who might be looking for your camp.

• Like 1

I disagree. My camps (plural) have been untouched for 3 weeks. You just have to think like the person who might be looking for your camp.

Same for me, my tents haven't been found (or at least haven't been looted) all patch

• Like 1

I found 7 military tents and a truck about 300 meters West of NW airfield last night. I was nice and only took 2 clips and filled a backpack full of food. Oh ya I also laid 2 mines and took the truck. going back again tonight to check it over and lay some more mines.

• Like 1

If you play on the server, which is in your sig with almost no traffic, sure. On a full pop server its just a matter of time until any camp is found.

Edited by NewArk

If you play on the server, which is in your sig with almost no traffic, sure. On a full pop server its just a matter of time until any camp is found.

I just rented this server Friday. It has been up for 5 days. Camps untouched for going on 4 weeks now on two private servers and two public. Think like the hunter.