Sign in to follow this  
HarryPotter (DayZ)

What's the fascination with having pristine clothes?

As per title.... I'll happily mooch around in scabby trousers and a ripped jacket.

Why is everyone so fucking obsessed with finding sewing kits?

Edited by HarryPotter

I thought the quality of the item played a role in damage mitigation?

• Like 2

Because no one said you cannot survive the apocalypse in style. 

• Like 3

I thought the quality of the item played a role in damage mitigation?

I've never noticed anything like this.... I might be wrong though. It just bugs me when people complain that they got punched by a zed and it damaged their coat! As if it matters...

If your clothes are ruined, they won't protect any of the stuff you carry in them. Next zombie will ruin your cans of peaches and rags, then.

• Like 7

I thought it was well known that the quality/type of gear youre wearing greatly effects damage mitigation. There are plenty of videos out there that demonstrate the actual differences in mitigation of the pieces of clothing and backpacks.

• Like 1

I find it funny you guys are talking about damage mitigation. My main concern with damaged clothing is reduced thermal value.

• Like 3

I just figure the better the quality the more girls will like me. :( 

Nah, the protections from damage to me and my gear is my concern. So if i pristine everything up, while looting I don't have to check quality of this or that item since I already have a pristine jacket or pants. Saves me time while looting in a way. 

I find it funny you guys are talking about damage mitigation. My main concern with damaged clothing is reduced thermal value.

This ^^ enjoy freezing to death when it gets cold in your scabby torn shirt and pants .....

I just find it funny that they're using the word mitigation.

A pristine shirt (clothing item) can soak an entire shot, it matters a lot.

I just find it funny that they're using the word mitigation.

mit·i·ga·tion
ˌmidəˈɡāSH(ə)n/
noun

1. the action of reducing the severity, seriousness, or painfulness of something.

I dunno, that's exactly what it does.

Clothing in the SA in the current state is essentially armor.  A regular vest may as well be a ballistic vest.  Even the t-shirt you spawn with can make the difference between dying in one hit or two, which is pretty huge.

Edited by Bororm

It was quite awhile ago that the testing was done. I'm not sure the devs have changed it. I'm not sure if anyone has tested it lately. The pristine anything did well, damaged etc did not do well in the protecting the player. There were tests with hand gun shots to the head with ballistic helmets etc. Check out the old videos and the guy explains all the types of tests and the results. Damaged bad ..pristine anything good. Now it is more important than ever, since it seems there is going to be a lot more getting hit and those kits are going to be extremely helpful to keep you in tip top shape. Example: Got clobbered, healed up, repaired gear. Move on, got clobbered, healed up, repaired gear. Everything was beautiful. No more repair kits or food or drink, got clobbered several times and some of my gear was damaged and got jumped again on my way to camp and my pants went from damaged to ruined after a couple lucky hits and ruined them and everything inside them. Why is pristine important, because it means protection.

Edited by Excanto

A pristine shirt (clothing item) can soak an entire shot, it matters a lot.

I dunno, that's exactly what it does.

Clothing in the SA in the current state is essentially armor.  A regular vest may as well be a ballistic vest.  Even the t-shirt you spawn with can make the difference between dying in one hit or two, which is pretty huge.

It was quite awhile ago that the testing was done. I'm not sure the devs have changed it. I'm not sure if anyone has tested it lately. The pristine anything did well, damaged etc did not do well in the protecting the player. There were tests with hand gun shots to the head with ballistic helmets etc. Check out the old videos and the guy explains all the types of tests and the results. Damaged bad ..pristine anything good. Now it is more important than ever, since it seems there is going to be a lot more getting hit and those kits are going to be extremely helpful to keep you in tip top shape. Example: Got clobbered, healed up, repaired gear. Move on, got clobbered, healed up, repaired gear. Everything was beautiful. No more repair kits or food or drink, got clobbered several times and some of my gear was damaged and got jumped again on my way to camp and my pants went from damaged to ruined after a couple lucky hits and ruined them and everything inside them. Why is pristine important, because it means protection.

Which is Grade-A STUPID.

A sweatshirt will not protect you from a bullet or a knife, nor will a rain-jacket, nor a cloth/nylon pouch (on the various vests). The only thing that should stop bullets (but not knives) is the Ballistic Vest, and the only thing that should stop knives (but not bullets) is the Anti-Stab Vest. NOTHING should offer "armor" from smashing weapons.

• Like 4

Which is Grade-A STUPID.

A sweatshirt will not protect you from a bullet or a knife, nor will a rain-jacket, nor a cloth/nylon pouch (on the various vests). The only thing that should stop bullets (but not knives) is the Ballistic Vest, and the only thing that should stop knives (but not bullets) is the Anti-Stab Vest. NOTHING should offer "armor" from smashing weapons.

Actually a Ballistic Vest can stop knives especially slashing. While it will not "stop" a stabbing knife with a good amount of force and a narrow blade or if you were braced like up against a wall or prone, but it will certainly slow it down enough that it won't go as deep and might turn a deadly wound into something survivable. A plate carrier will definitely stop a knife anywhere it hits a plate, it's the softer parts between that might be vulnerable. 

Now, gear in a backpack or even a shirt can definitely stop bullets/knives. There have been many reported cases where a cell phone managed to stop bullets just from being in a jacket pocket. Same thing with laptops, water bottles, lunch boxes, and other things in backpacks. Now many of us are carrying rifle mags(also known to have deflected bullets for lucky soldiers), protector cases, first aid kits packed full, TIN CANS, and such in our vests/jackets and such things can stop bullets/knives.

So while I agree that a plain t-shirt with nothing "in" it shouldn't offer too much protection, it should still offer some against scrapes and cuts... but not bullets. :) Items filled with gear should offer some protection.

As for blunt "smashing" weapons. You are so wrong. Even a heavy sweatshirt is better than bare skin against such things, not much, but somewhat. A ballistic vest is designed to help spread a lot of force that would hit a small area into a wider area and padded as well. A large force hitting a larger area will get more force through, but it is still going to spread some and be absorbed. Most "body armor" is padded. Heck, skating pads will allow you to deflect a baseball bat. 

Edited by Mercules
  • Like 2

damn metagaming makes me sick. always gotta be looking at stats and shit this ball cap mitigates more damage than this beanie its OP blah blah blah thats all i read.

• Like 3

I like the pristine stuff because it looks better.
That being said, whenever i find shoes (especially boots) that are pristine, i always change shoes. because, new shoes. even if mine are pristine too.
but i tend to always wear civilian clothes, hardly ever military stuff. because, it suits the look I'm going for.

So for me, it's the RP aspect, if I was out in the post apoc of chernarus, I'd grab any nice clothes i could find. because there aren't that many left.

these outfits look boss.... now if they were ruined I would look just like all the others in the game.

=)

red track suit is epic
1z48gt0.jpg

can't go wrong with a blue track suit to let the bandits on prison island
and know I mean business
33wpi1h.jpg

no one respects a police man in a dirty damaged uniform
28r2yrn.jpg

gardening in style at a trading event when there is a massive gun fight going on around me. the back suit says it all! can't garden with damaged cloths
dzw6wx.jpg

Is green the new blue, pretty sure it is! =)
ws2xzr.jpg

no one can see me in this green field in my pristine green suit! great camo when needed.
4h2zgp.jpg

We did not kill this man, he ended it on his own, said we were dressed to epicly for him to live
5n6g6c.jpg
1zegrbt.jpg
6446r9.jpg

what better way to show up to a BBQ then dressed like a boss?
2u95ms9.jpg

need I say more about pristine cloths?  sewing kits are a must in the war on zombies

Edited by raBit.
  • Like 1

I thought it was well known that the quality/type of gear youre wearing greatly effects damage mitigation.

It is well known  ;)

Edited by Tatanko

As per title.... I'll happily mooch around in scabby trousers and a ripped jacket.

Why is everyone so fucking obsessed with finding sewing kits?

Because of comfort and

style.

Actually a Ballistic Vest can stop knives especially slashing. While it will not "stop" a stabbing knife with a good amount of force and a narrow blade or if you were braced like up against a wall or prone, but it will certainly slow it down enough that it won't go as deep and might turn a deadly wound into something survivable. A plate carrier will definitely stop a knife anywhere it hits a plate, it's the softer parts between that might be vulnerable. 

Now, gear in a backpack or even a shirt can definitely stop bullets/knives. There have been many reported cases where a cell phone managed to stop bullets just from being in a jacket pocket. Same thing with laptops, water bottles, lunch boxes, and other things in backpacks. Now many of us are carrying rifle mags(also known to have deflected bullets for lucky soldiers), protector cases, first aid kits packed full, TIN CANS, and such in our vests/jackets and such things can stop bullets/knives.

So while I agree that a plain t-shirt with nothing "in" it shouldn't offer too much protection, it should still offer some against scrapes and cuts... but not bullets. :) Items filled with gear should offer some protection.

As for blunt "smashing" weapons. You are so wrong. Even a heavy sweatshirt is better than bare skin against such things, not much, but somewhat. A ballistic vest is designed to help spread a lot of force that would hit a small area into a wider area and padded as well. A large force hitting a larger area will get more force through, but it is still going to spread some and be absorbed. Most "body armor" is padded. Heck, skating pads will allow you to deflect a baseball bat. 

A Ballistic Vest can stop a knife, if you hit it in the plate. There is a nice "open" spot on the sides of the body, right above your kidneys, where I could slide a knife in nice and easy. Modern ballistic body armor is noted by authorities to provide substandard piercing protection, as a result of construction materials and methods. The addition of hard plates is what provides the protection (against rifle rounds, anyways), and even then, the plate is really only good for a couple of bullets anyways. Soldiers still have to take cover; the ballistic vest is for those "OOPS" moments.

Gear in a backpack could feasibly stop bullets and knives, but..... not really, and not reliably. That tin can/cell phone/etc etc etc might stop one round, but what about the other 29 in the magazine? And not full-sized rifle rounds either. A 7.62x54mmR round to the chest should kill you, regardless of what you are wearing. Stuff in a backpack might stop a pistol round, or a glancing assault-rifle (AKA "intermediate cartridge", smaller than a full-sized rifle round), but not a straight-on shot. It also shouldn't be something we rely on. It should be "Hey, this book stopped a bullet! AWESOME!", not "Alright, let me stuff all my inventory slots with books and shit, so I can survive a couple of shots"

Clothing, with very few exceptions (the Riders Jacket, AKA LEATHER, and designed as protection), should not provide any protection whatsoever against cuts, scrapes, and so on and so forth. I can cut through a pair of jeans into the flesh beneath with a single swing of a knife, and a sweatshirt will do nothing to protect you from rocks and concrete (I should know. I fell down climbing a mountain a few years back, scraped my back up and tore up my sweatshirt).

Finally, as for your "clothing protects against smashing damage" comment, do me a favor. Wear a sweatshirt, hell, wear 3, and let me bash you in the torso a couple of times with a hammer. When you are lying on the ground with broken bones and ruptured internal organs/severe internal bleeding, remember that 1) hammers are the "go-to" weapon for the post-Apocalypse and 2) Tempered steel plate armor can't stop the force of a hammer blow from killing you. If you decide to throw on a Ballistic Vest, remember the above points as I crack the ceramic chestplate with a baseball bat (which would both knock the ind out of you, knock you down, and probably break some ribs. Remember, just because the plate "stopped" the force, doesn't mean you don't feel the impact!), then give you a couple to the head as you lie on the ground.

And, yes, specially designed pieces of equipment, like skating pads or hockey gear will "stop" smashing damage. However, you will still 1) feel the force and impact of the blow and 2) overheat due to the insulation properties and weight of the equipment. So, while you are leaning against that wall, exhausted and dehydrated due to your assorted pads and such, you will fall over due to a blow from a bat, and than you will be easy to kill, pads or no pads.

Tl:DR Clothing, with very few exceptions, should provide no protection from damage, at all. Anything else is metagaming, and as such, is HERESY.

• Like 2

I tried my SKS on some 1/4" steel plate a few years ago and no vest, anything in your backpack or even hiding behind a shipping container is going to stop a 7.62X39mm steelcore. I was shooting through 24-36" of fir boards depending if the bullet rolled on it's way through. Most vest will only stop pistol bullets and you're still getting bruised or broken ribs.

• Like 1

Clothes currently provide some small protection and better heat values based on condition

Weapon attatchments have less sway on a gun based on condition

The system is place holder and should be updated on the future.

But to answer the ops post there is an obvious benefit provided by the devs hence why people want pristine items...

I think pristine boots should make ur feet sore...I mean who has ever made the mistake of running miles in brand new boots?

I did once and I had some enormous blisters

• Like 1

I like the pristine stuff because it looks better.

That being said, whenever i find shoes (especially boots) that are pristine, i always change shoes. because, new shoes. even if mine are pristine too.

but i tend to always wear civilian clothes, hardly ever military stuff. because, it suits the look I'm going for.

So for me, it's the RP aspect, if I was out in the post apoc of chernarus, I'd grab any nice clothes i could find. because there aren't that many left.

I always wear military boots for the slim chance I will find a combat knife which fits into a holder in the boots. Boyaah!

• Like 2

Item quality is a great feature but why is the Pristine - Ruined scale visible to the player?

An objects texture changes as it is damaged or repaired, isn't that enough.

The game obscures 'gamey' mechanics like blood and health levels for the sake of immersion, what's more immersion breaking than an obsession with 'pristine' items.

If my gun isn't firing I don't want to check the colour coded item quality. I want to look at the gun and think, Does it look completely fucked up? Or does the ammo? Or the magazine?

Edited by B4GEL
  • Like 1