SonicSonedit

About upcoming stamina system, player speed reduction, vehicles and other premature game changes

Before introducing features that screw players over, please fix and debug the features that compensate it.

Lets talk about upcoming stamina and player movement speed reduction for a moment. Yes, I completely agree that players move way too fast and can run forever right now, which is both disbalanced and immersion-breaking, therefore player movement speed should be reduced later on.

But what about current state of game? The vehicles and bicycles are nothing but a mess right now. They fall underground randomly when you ride uphill/downhill, they can easily break your legs or even kill you when you get out/off of them if someone (for example, zombie) will just lightly touch them, forcing them to move. They can easily stuck in textures, due to terrible collision detection. If you lightly touch someone's else vehicle with yours, you both will get legs broken and pants (with loot inside) ruined. And the most ridiculous thing about them - you die if you lag or disconnect inside a moving vehicle. Yep, just like that - "You are dead.". The best part? Your body will disappear, so your friends can't even recover your loot.

The list with vehicle-related bugs which can randomly insta-kill you in a game with permadeath can go on.

And in light of all this mess - reduce player movement speed!? I implore you to reconsider!

Edit:

I don't see any reason to get vehicle bugs fixed before stamina kicks in. The stamina could easily come even before any vehicles were introduced. To be honest not many people even use them or get to use them often.

Here is a reason for you

Edited by SonicSonedit
  • Like 1

I don't see any reason to get vehicle bugs fixed before stamina kicks in. The stamina could easily come even before any vehicles were introduced. To be honest not many people even use them or get to use them often.

• Like 4

Who cares if we run a little slower? I generally jog everywhere as it is. If I spot someone, it takes less than half the time to catch my breath in case shit hits the fan.

What's the hurry? Sprinting for miles at a time is retarded, with or without vehicles.

• Like 4

While I agree with you gameplay-wise I think that this is what we have to expect from an alpha game. If they had to wait to get to step four before moving onto step five the process of making it to release would take too long. They have to cut in the curves so to say. That and to deploy large changes by bulk to get  the best development reserch and results (0.55 etc), if they were to take it from point to point slowly developing the game we would be left with a better alpha but in the stat it was in last summer and no realistic release in sight.

Parallell projects in development overlapping rather than being strictly linear is what Im getting at but... don't ask me after I've lost a two week character due to exiting a truck.

Vehicles are not meant as "compensation" for lower movement speed and fatigue. Or better: They are not meant as compensation for the majority of players. Vehicles are planned as "lategame" features for survivors who survived for a long time. Most players in earlier stages won't get any benefits out of them. Even if bikes were just spawning fully functional you are likely not to find one in the earlier stages of your game.

The real compensations for lower average movement speed should be an increased number of loot (compared to speedy gonzales builds - currently we have far more than enough) and a greater amount of dangers/actions on the journey (to give players something to do other than running in a straight line to the nearest military base). Also server hopping/fresh spawn suicide should be addressed. Otherwise people would use those teleport exploits to get around the slower movement speed.

And finally reduced average player movement has other positive effects:

• the usefulness of vehicles increases significantly
  • combat gets more authentic and enjoyable (especially guns vs. melee combat)
  • zombie speed can be toned down as well
  • the world gets bigger
  • you might meet more people traveling or looting small towns (needs server hopping fix as well)

Before introducing features that screw players over, please fix and debug the features that compensate it.

Lets talk about upcoming stamina and player movement speed reduction for a moment. Yes, I completely agree that players move way too fast and can run forever right now, which is both disbalanced and immersion-breaking, therefore player movement speed should be reduced later on.

But what about current state of game? The vehicles and bicycles are nothing but a mess right now. They fall underground randomly when you ride uphill/downhill, they can easily break your legs or even kill you when you get out/off of them if someone (for example, zombie) will just lightly touch them, forcing them to move. They can easily stuck in textures, due to terrible collision detection. If you lightly touch someone's else vehicle with yours, you both will get legs broken and pants (with loot inside) ruined. And the most ridiculous thing about them - you die if you lag or disconnect inside a moving vehicle. Yep, just like that - "You are dead.". The best part? Your body will disappear, so your friends can't even recover your loot.

The list with vehicle-related bugs which can randomly insta-kill you in a game with permadeath can go on.

And in light of all this mess - reduce player movement speed!? I implore you to reconsider!

Well as i see it,they have 2 options...

One would be to commit time and resources to fix these physics related bugs.

Or they could implement a new physics system from scratch,like it was initially planned. (Q2)

Here is a reason for you

And finally reduced average player movement has other positive effects:

• the usefulness of vehicles increases significantly
  • combat gets more authentic and enjoyable (especially guns vs. melee combat)
  • zombie speed can be toned down as well
  • the world gets bigger
  • you might meet more people traveling or looting small towns (needs server hopping fix as well)

None of these are positive effects:

• About cars - first post.
  • And how movement speed is even related to combat? Combat feels awkward because it is awkward, not because we move too fast or too slow.
  • I hope zombie speed will only be increased from now on.
  • This is once again unrelated to movement speed
  • *cough*too much KOS to be a good thing*cough*

Damnyourdeadman

Well, on a roadmap we can see "advanced vehicles", yet we do not have a basic ones yet. That's the problem - rushed changes will simply make this game unplayable.

Edited by SonicSonedit

Not worried about it, I literally walk everywhere in game, just to look like a bad ass.

Real badasses walk away from exploding petrol stations without looking back.

• Like 2

Adding stamina with the current zombies seems like a pain.  Currently fighting a zombie gets you hit several times -- I've found no way to fight them melee and avoid getting hit -- and due to the "

" you're dead after about 50 hits without any way of regeneration.  

Therefore - if your stamina means you cannot outrun a zombie or there are not buildings closely that you can trap one in then you are inevitably going to die after encountering a few zombies.  There is no game mechanic to avoid being killed from the "bone stat" and encountering a few zombies is inevitable -- regardless how sneaky you are.  

That, to me, seems like un-balanced gameplay.  

Edited by wacktopia
  • Like 1

Well, on a roadmap we can see "advanced vehicles", yet we do not have a basic ones yet. That's the problem - rushed changes will simply make this game unplayable.

Yep,development is moving in very slow paces.

Despite not having basic vehicles (some would argue V3S is that) we still miss the new Renderer and improved cooking.

Even the met features are WIP or in very basic form.

But in this case it would be a waste of time fixing the bugs of a system that is gonna be completely replaced.

In the end,all their proggress would have gone to waste!

Adding stamina with the current zombies seems like a pain.  Currently fighting a zombie gets you hit several times -- I've found no way to fight them melee and avoid getting hit -- and due to the "

Therefore - if your stamina means you cannot outrun a zombie or there are not buildings closely that you can trap one in then you are inevitably going to die after encountering a few zombies.  There is no game mechanic to avoid being killed from the "bone stat" and encountering a few zombies is inevitable -- regardless how sneaky you are.  

Yeah, the fact that "bone condition" can never recover is just outright silly and needs to be adjusted. In fact it encourages meta-gaming now we know about it, because the only way to reset it and keep your gear is to dump your gear somewhere, kill your character and run back to recover your equipment.

Edited by TheScruffyBandit

Yep it will......

Game in development.......

Devs make a load of stuff......

Chuck it all in...........

Some of it dont work.............

Its gets made to work............

It gets polished up..........

Its gets released as a game...........

We are still at the bit where they are making bits and chucking it in.... I doubt they care much if you think anything they do will make the game 'unplayable' at this stage.

Sorry bud

Geez its a game, who cares if you can run fast, just run.

There are many more things to worry about first, like the bone condition.

Don't need any vehicles either scrap them, let us run free.

We are still at the bit where they are making bits and chucking it in.... I doubt they care much if you think anything they do will make the game 'unplayable' at this stage.

Sorry bud

The .55 combined loot (initially) and zombie changes pretty-much did that.  Streamers on Twitch just kinda dropped overnight (and this was before GTA V was released).

Alpha is limited in terms of how long you can play the "make bits and chuck them in to see what sticks" game.   Pre-alpha and early alpha -- sure you get all sorts of things going on.  However, DayZ is on the burn-down to beta and has an established player-base so breaking changes hit harder can shed players that might be hard to win back.  

There is NO "bone condition" stat in DayZ

[ you think because you saw it on the internet it must be true, right ? ]

• Like 1

The .55 combined loot (initially) and zombie changes pretty-much did that.  Streamers on Twitch just kinda dropped overnight (and this was before GTA V was released).

Alpha is limited in terms of how long you can play the "make bits and chuck them in to see what sticks" game.   Pre-alpha and early alpha -- sure you get all sorts of things going on.  However, DayZ is on the burn-down to beta and has an established player-base so breaking changes hit harder can shed players that might be hard to win back.  

Yeah I see what you mean mate but its only really half way into early access. Im not trying to play the 'Alpher deal with it' card, but stuff is gonna brake and there will be changes that loads of people are going to hate. I suppose I'm lucky as I only came into it at 0.54 and have only 200 hours. I can understand why twitch went the way you say.... who wants to watch someone play DayZ post 0.55? Not me.. I love to play it... but watching live = epic boredom. Much has been said about the 0.55 loot/zombies and from what I see those hardships are only going to get harder once the system is in place properly. They are not game braking changes... they are the game in a very rough form.

None of these are positive effects:

So basically you want:

• lots of vehicles that have a comparatively low impact (aka "unrewarding")
  • fast Quake style point and twitch combat (aka "unauthentic" and "less tactical")
  • zombies that reach you from a mile away within a few seconds* ("unauthentic" again and linked to the former)
  • a small world where you can travel from one end to another without much effort
  • as little player interaction as possible unless you are in specific areas

If this is true you should ask yourself a question: Are your expectation compatible with the basic concept of the game? I think you don't really want those things but you are rather afraid of having to walk for hours without anything happening. More depth helps here - if you want to travel far across the map you may and it may end up in a very long walk. But in terms of gameplay you should not have to.

*I think zombies should be about as fast as players and should be affected by fatigue the same way while also being able to hit running players. You should be able to run away if you are unfatigued and see them before they reach you but not if you are either tired and let them get too close.

whos cares about twitch streamers no game should revolve itself around those twits anyway. and the dev need to stick with adding stamina and the features they had planned i love these new cats that come in here blabbing about changes SURVIVAL changes to be exact and want to make the game like goddamn H1 go play that if you wanna run super fast and find tons of ammo to pew pew i'm sorry i'm coming off as a dick but you new guys always say the same shit. i've been playing this game since forever and any feature they add that breaks the game they always get working top notch in the end. what you need is some patience and i guess i should take my own opinion and have patience with you new cats too so we'll see. and as for losing players i don't see it this game has been pout for awhile so i could see folks taking a break i do from time to time as who wants to get totally burned out when the games not even finished and i don't care for the easy mode loot i'm personally waiting for the game to get more difficult and that is gonna mainly come from central lott economy and stamina along with the new zed AI.

Edit:

Here is a reason for you

So dont drive vehicles maybe, sounds like you dont do well in them 8P

Ya zombie apocalypse it dangerous, you can die easy who would have guessed

Why are you even worried about game balance at this point.

Stamina is perfectly fine to be tested at any point in time irregardless of the other features being in or working right.

I stopped at "vehicles and bicycles" !

And what does that video have to do with anything, why is it posted twice and player stamina relates to vehicles in what sense....

Has OP not been made aware that WIP is a thing and whats more, how did bone condition sneak in here...

Someones confused.