HarryPotter (DayZ)

So the way I read it was that the devs are going back to 0.54 loot system?

What does this even have to do with console systems? A console game can be just as good as anything PC related in fact it can match PC games quite well in allot of cases. And i expect it to be just as brutal as the PC version will be. So dont bring that console/PC war bullshit into this.

My hatred for consoles are solid after I played the shitpile Mass Effect 2.

Did tents carry over from yesterday? I'll be super bummed if I lost everything. :(

you lost everything

= dayz status report 14 Apr 15 on Steam "pack up those tents post haste"

http://dayz.com/blog/status-report-14-apr-15

xx

Edited by pilgrim

Did tents carry over from yesterday? I'll be super bummed if I lost everything. :(

no, persistence wipe on the servers.

And for those saying that cooking pots were non existent in .55 they were, for a few days until it was hotfixed and then I was almost tripping over them on my travels.

I will say, with the change to looting with this hotfix (putting it back to .54) the game feels a little more hollow to me. I liked not knowing exactly where to go and being genuinely concerned about my gear, played today and that concern was gone again because I know that I only have to loot one or two houses and I will walk away with weapons and food...

• Like 6

Just played the new .54 loot rollback for a few hours. Looks like military loot spawns (barracks, camo buildings, airfields) are back to how they were before.

Ended up having 4 different encounters on a single private hive; seemed like everyone was fulled decked out in military gear and weapons/ammo.

I feel we need a balance between the old loot system (being able to actually find items) and the new loot system (you never really know for sure where things are going to spawn).

Personally, I think that the new loot system (.55 pre-rollback) was more in the right direction, but obviously some bug fixes were needed. I'm just glad that the devs are finally addressing the fact that the loot spawns were pretty broken still. Hopefully this means that all of the "elektro deathmatch" kids stop whining now.

Above all else, people need to understand that we aren't entitled to a working game (something that I'm glad they addressed in this most recent status report). It's much more important that the alpha development process goes as quickly as possible, which means lots of people playing the game and reporting bugs and suggestions, no matter how broken the game may seem. 

Edited by tux

Pardon my ignorance, but I'm still not sure what the big problem with the .55 loot system is. I understand there was an issue with some servers not spawning loot, right? I've been intentionally only playing 40/40 or 50/50 public servers (during .55) in my area and did not have any real issues getting geared or fed. What was all the fuss?

Edited by Arm Of Kannon

Pardon my ignorance, but I'm still not sure what the big problem with the .55 loot system is. I understand there was an issue with some servers not spawning loot, right? I've been intentionally only playing 40/40 or 50/50 public servers (during .55) in my area and did not have any real issues getting geared or fed. What was all the fuss?

Seems like the problem was that servers were acting differently, and they couldn't see that until now because in experimental, there weren't nearly enough servers or players online for them to recognize any of these problems.

My guess is that instead of leaving .55 as-is (where some servers were okay and some were not spawning loot correctly), they would just revert back to a working loot system so at least every server was the same. Unfortunately, I doubt using an old system, simply because people wouldn't shut up about how the game was broken (as it should be; see ALPHA), will give the devs the bug data that is needed to quickly provide working a working loot system in further iterations.

Granted, they might not alienate as many players with this mindset, but do we really want all of these people complaining about how the game is broken around much longer anyway?

Edited by tux

I am confused, somebody needs to clarify it. Can I place a tent at the moment? Will items like backpacks despawn with a server reset or a crash? And what happens with items in your hand which are not in your backpack when you log out, crash or the server restarts?

As the Status Report calls out, we discovered issues with loot respawning. There is -zero- changes to persistence. 

In order to resolve the issues caused by the bugs discovered in loot respawning, all servers had their persistence reset. Be aware, as the report calls out - Private Shards still have the ability to reset their persistence for the remainder of the month.

As with -ANYTHING- in the Early Access, there is no guarantee that your character, tents, etc are 100% safe. 

There was no roll back, despite some terminology used. All that we did was switch the stable branch servers to spawn loot using the old placeholder system while we work on resolving the bugs discovered - and when 0.56 update comes out we'll turn the proper loot spawning system back on.

Its still there, don't worry folks - we're just working on resolving the bugs causing issues with the loot respawn system making a mess of things after a week or so of active play.

• Like 4

If people would stop looting everything and just die of starvation like a man there'd be no problems...

... and plenty of extra food for me!

• Like 2

As the Status Report calls out, we discovered issues with loot respawning. There is -zero- changes to persistence. 

In order to resolve the issues caused by the bugs discovered in loot respawning, all servers had their persistence reset. Be aware, as the report calls out - Private Shards still have the ability to reset their persistence for the remainder of the month.

As with -ANYTHING- in the Early Access, there is no guarantee that your character, tents, etc are 100% safe. 

There was no roll back, despite some terminology used. All that we did was switch the stable branch servers to spawn loot using the old placeholder system while we work on resolving the bugs discovered - and when 0.56 update comes out we'll turn the proper loot spawning system back on.

Its still there, don't worry folks - we're just working on resolving the bugs causing issues with the loot respawn system making a mess of things after a week or so of active play.

I think people understand!

What they are trying to say is that after 0.55 happened,for once the game proved challenging which was awesome!

Going back to the placeholder system means "we go back to that 1 stop shopping in any barracks you enter where every person on the planet armed to the hilt ", mentality as a previous user correctly pointed out.

Loot locations where awkward but the quantity was satisfying.

After all,in a post apocalyptic survival title,finding a can of beans should be equivalent to a heaven's gift.

We just hope that the new loot system improves,instead of taking away from the delivered experience.

• Like 1

This is good to hear.  It'd be extremely disappointing if you guys started pandering to those who advocate for a more twitch shooter game.

Well, there goes my  mosin, fully kitted AKM, two smersh vests, fully kitted plate carrier, stack of burlap, and 3 tents / extras.

First time I had tried screwing with tents, too. Just my damn luck. 

So many complaints from both sides. Yet, the devs said that the old sys was a placeholder and new sys was severely bugged. That means it will fall in the middle somewhere. I like that idea. Take this time though, and stock up on the things that were hard to find. Just know that when .56 drops, persistence wipes will probably happen too. What matters more in the future, rice or guns/ammo?

So many complaints from both sides. Yet, the devs said that the old sys was a placeholder and new sys was severely bugged. That means it will fall in the middle somewhere. I like that idea. Take this time though, and stock up on the things that were hard to find. Just know that when .56 drops, persistence wipes will probably happen too. What matters more in the future, rice or guns/ammo?

Guns/ammo ;D

At first I was taken aback by 0.55's loot system. But I was willing to adapt. I just want them to fix the zombies so they can't hit me when I'm standing behind them.

I must admit though, I stumbled across a way to fight zombies that seems coincidental but may not be.

Whenever I found myself butted up against a zombie, where my character is physically touching the zombie face to face, the zombie stopped hitting me and just started walking forward. As the zombie walked into me, it would start pushing me back. And I would start punching the zombie until it dropped. So far it's worked every time I was in that situation. I might try it again tonight after work. See what happens. Maybe I was just lucky.

• Like 1

At first I was taken aback by 0.55's loot system. But I was willing to adapt. I just want them to fix the zombies so they can't hit me when I'm standing behind them.

I must admit though, I stumbled across a way to fight zombies that seems coincidental but may not be.

Whenever I found myself butted up against a zombie, where my character is physically touching the zombie face to face, the zombie stopped hitting me and just started walking forward. As the zombie walked into me, it would start pushing me back. And I would start punching the zombie until it dropped. So far it's worked every time I was in that situation. I might try it again tonight after work. See what happens. Maybe I was just lucky.

Zombies seem to pass straight through me, then hit me in the back. Maybe I am just unlucky? lol

reading some of the comments does make me laugh. They didnt roll back because they gave in to the whining, they also didnt roll back for everyone to get a breather and gear up again. They more than likely did it because the first installment of central loot economy was troublesome for certain servers and private servers got the brunt end of it. Not to mention the loot bombs in the outhouses, because they were neve originally assigned a loot position and the programming got confused and loot bombed it. They are more than likely going to be going over everything to fix some of the issues, try to make sure that military loot is configured right for military buildings and the same for civillian so you wont find an m4 in grannies house, and you wont find a teddy bear in the military jail. I'm looking forward to the 2nd iteration of central loot economy, I just hope that tents are avaliable in all houses again and not just at apartments like before & currently now

reading some of the comments does make me laugh. They didnt roll back because they gave in to the whining, they also didnt roll back for everyone to get a breather and gear up again. They more than likely did it because the first installment of central loot economy was troublesome for certain servers and private servers got the brunt end of it. Not to mention the loot bombs in the outhouses, because they were neve originally assigned a loot position and the programming got confused and loot bombed it. They are more than likely going to be going over everything to fix some of the issues, try to make sure that military loot is configured right for military buildings and the same for civillian so you wont find an m4 in grannies house, and you wont find a teddy bear in the military jail. I'm looking forward to the 2nd iteration of central loot economy, I just hope that tents are avaliable in all houses again and not just at apartments like before & currently now

Wait, it's in alpha. Aren't we supposed to just accept that there will be bugs and move on? It's not like it was a game breaking bug that was crashing servers every 5 mins. 

• Like 1

Above all else, people need to understand that we aren't entitled to a working game (something that I'm glad they addressed in this most recent status report). It's much more important that the alpha development process goes as quickly as possible, which means lots of people playing the game and reporting bugs and suggestions, no matter how broken the game may seem. 

Maybe not the "no matter how broken" part.  I had a bug report come back closed because they couldn't replicate it, and they suggested that it might be desynch.  It was the binocular raising animation looping, and it almost always happens to me when I try to use them.  If chronic desynch is causing me to be unable to isolate a bug, not much valuable info can be collected.

There is a ceratin amount of baseline playability that must be maintained for bug reporting to be a fruitful and efficient process.  I remember back in .53 when I was heavily into testing persistence and collecting trucks, the rolling waves of admin kicks seriously impeded my ability to check things like the persistence of gascans, lime, and other objects.  If you can't get to the server that you set all the stuff down on, how can you confirm it is still there?  But with the whole rolling engine swap they are doing, I just try to do whatever I can at the time.

Well I'm glad the loot is back to the way it used to be though it'll come back hopefully improved. I still can't find shotgun ammo but oh well I found bolt again. I kinda liked the old loot it made the game harder though I really just liked the super toilets. Btw fruit is hack invisible at first but after you pick it up its back to normal.

Wow, the devs caved in to the bitching and whining.  I really hope this doesn't become a trend to dumbing down the game now.

I don't see it that way. A million tons of loot in some toilet in the far north was hardly realistic. Yeah I don't want too much loot either and I want a challenge, but....

What I don't want is to spend my whole life picking f*cking berries so I can survive until I reach some uber-pristine northen town with a ton of loot and one Z.

Also for all you Bear Grylls wannabies - you ain't hardcore at all. You know the map inside out because you constantly go on about how many hours you've put in. So where is the challenge? You've played the game to death and now sneer on anyone who doesn't want to spend an hour "searching for berries".

In fact it doesn't really matter, let them work at the issues .55 has caused. I also loved the scarcity the patch provided, but they need work at the survival mechanics. Bow bugged, fishing bugged, cooking bugged etc. I think people will accept it more when those functions actually work.

For my part, i will take a break until .56, cause i can't stand canned food & soda on every corner. Also, let them gear up, stockpile food in 40 tents, who cares, it will all be wiped eventually.

the reason for the temporary change back to the old loot system, is that some servers were spawning 20,000 items LESS than they should

This explains why some players found the new loot system was OK and others found there was no loot

this is in the Status Report

after that - the new loot system will come back soon and go on being tested and tweaked in game, to distribute the loot spawn, avoid loot clumping, ensure a reasonable distribution of items.

everyone knows this will take a while - apart from the technical stuff, it's not easy to say what a million players will do across hundreds of servers, so it will take plenty of experiment and fine tuning to set loot types and levels and respawn rates

right ?

Edited by pilgrim
  • Like 2

The interesting thing about this update is that we have the same new zombies, and the old loot system.  So, it's still a fresh environment.

Many forum posters have complained about the difficulty in finding loot, and others, OP infected.  When really, the combination of both made the game harder.  So now, with the legacy system, it's just the zeds.  Should be interesting.