IgnobleBasterd

Has the increased difficulty had eny effect on KoS frequency?

Earlier I was thinking that with increased difficulty there would be increased cooperation or at least decreased aggression between players. What is your experience regarding this, so far?

The only thing that this patch has increased for me is my accuracy.

Edited by ASTINvlogs
  • Like 5

I notice somewhat less KoS behaviour. There is still plenty, but this latest patch made a lot of headway.

Perhaps it's only temporary, as players learn how to survive again.

I've heard people say that they are being avoided more.

That's not exactly co-op but I think is part of the beginnings of less KoS.

I have been KoS'd by a couple clan jerks with SMG's once since this patch dropped.

Honestly, I think how and where I play has helped me avoid KoS players all along.

Other players on a low pop server with no clan tag and non-griefer/non-aggressive name are often fairly harmless if you are careful in how you interact.

I've been given supplies when I needed them from randoms, and I've given supplies to randoms as often as possible.

• Like 1

No. It's the opposite. The increased difficulty has made KOSing worse. Players are best source of food, now KOS actually has a very valid reason.

• Like 5

also less people are playing as they are holding out until, so the numbers are skewed 

• Like 1

also less people are playing as they are holding out until, so the numbers are skewed 

Holding out until what?

The apocalypse? :D

"Just how hard is DayZ supposed to be? What is the targeted experience here? How valuable should items, and thus what I carry be to me as a player?

I like to think we're pretty up front about exactly what DayZ is and is supposed to be, and as we move closer to 1.0 more and more of this will begin to take shape. 

Once, when asked how valuable tools and resources should be to a player - on a scale of 1 to 10, where 1 is finding everything you need without issue, and 10 is elation over finding a can of beans (I'm paraphrasing here) Dean was quoted saying an emphatic "10"."

http://forums.dayzgame.com/index.php?/topic/223747-status-report-08-apr-15/

I have been KoS'd by a couple clan jerks with SMG's once since this patch dropped.

Honestly, it's the clans you really need to avoid - let them have their private servers and KoS eachother.

Holding out until what?

The apocalypse? :D

"Just how hard is DayZ supposed to be? What is the targeted experience here? How valuable should items, and thus what I carry be to me as a player?

I like to think we're pretty up front about exactly what DayZ is and is supposed to be, and as we move closer to 1.0 more and more of this will begin to take shape. 

Once, when asked how valuable tools and resources should be to a player - on a scale of 1 to 10, where 1 is finding everything you need without issue, and 10 is elation over finding a can of beans (I'm paraphrasing here) Dean was quoted saying an emphatic "10"."

http://forums.dayzgame.com/index.php?/topic/223747-status-report-08-apr-15/

Dean isn't making it anymore.

• Like 3

I've KoS'd in this patch.  I was at the NEAF with a SKS and 3 rounds.  Didn't really have anything else but a canteen.  A guy ran up to the same area of the cars that I was looting and must not have seen me.  Stood there with his back to me while checking out a jeep.  He had a nice large mountain backpack that I was hoping had food in it since my character was hungry.  So I shot him in the back of the head and took his stuff.  He DID have quite a bit of food and more rounds for my SKS.

Now if I would have had a full 10 rounds I most likely would have held him up.  Was it KoS?  Sure.  Was it surviving in a survival game?  Definite yes.  Sometimes KoS is about survival and not for the lulz.

That just proves that making the game more difficult and making loot rarer is going to make KOS worse, not better.

That just proves that making the game more difficult and making loot rarer is going to make KOS worse, not better.

Not really.  It was one instance.  Hardly something to base your hypothesis on.  The reasoning for my decision was something that existed when the SA first came out.  Nothing new about .55.

• Like 2

I am a live and let live kinda guy but am thinking about KoS purely because 'it's' the only container around with loot - not that I need the loot but it's quite dull growing tomatoes and picking berries. The most exciting thing happening now is opening a dunny door for loot.

• Like 1

Dean isn't making it anymore.

Considering they are quoting him in the status report, I imagine they have a lot of, um, "notes" and you know like 2+ years of his input and planning.

It's pretty obvious the new lead isn't diverting anything in the games trajectory away from what was Deans inspiration and what kept a lot of us coming back.

Edited by BioHaze

I don't think the change will decrease kill on sight mentality at all.  Honestly, once people realize how easy it is to avoid zombies, adapt to the persistence bugs, and keep themselves fed, they'll return to old habits.

Learn to suicide in solnichniy to get a better respawn point.  If it doesn't work out, run back to your corpse and eat it.  Shoot your friend and eat him.  A survivor can't live on just apples, amirite?

The only dangerous zombies are the fast moving ones.  Two shot them with your bare fists.  Every other zombie you can easily lose via line of sight tactics.  Set traps for tonight's dinner by kiting slow moving zombie friends into a police station.  Close the doors.  

Run down the coast in a pink raincoat and fire extinguisher.  Hunt for your food.  See how long you can survive without leaving the coast.  The tools are all there.  It's not that bad, really.  

So, I predict extra bonus KOS frequency.

No. It's the opposite. The increased difficulty has made KOSing worse. Players are best source of food, now KOS actually has a very valid reason.

I attribute this to the easy (trivially so) act of equipping yourself with an automatic firearm via police station hopping.

So far, the only "loot" I have found to be in short supply this patch is packaged food. With 7 30rnd mags for an MP5-K, I don't need to worry about anything else.

Fix (and then cut back some more) ammo spawns, so we don't have 200+ rounds without some serious looting, and you will at the very least see the "face" of KOS change.

zombies keep killing me, haven't had much chance to interact with other players yet.

I personally will now kill anyone I see because I rarely see players inland and they scare the shit out of me and I end up cooking and eating them. 

I personally will now kill anyone I see because I rarely see players inland and they scare the shit out of me and I end up cooking and eating them. 

If I see someone and I have the advantage, I'll kill them simply because I'm not leaving a potential threat in my area and perhaps they have something I need or want.

I've yet to eat human flesh simply because I'm geared out and I don't want brain sickness, however my next life on 1pp I'm planning a pure cannibal run.

Well, considering equipment and food is scarce, I see no reason to not kill everyone I see.

They'll have some type of gear on them that I can prolly take for myself, I can take whatever food they have so I don't starve to death again, and if I have a knife I can make dinner out of them.

Before the patch I was more likely to avoid or attempt some sort of contact, since my character took a short time to gear to an acceptable level at which I could survive for a while.

But now that the average play session for me off a a fresh spawn is creeping around towns looking through empty houses for an can of tuna so I don't starve to death for 30 minutes before getting RKO'd by a zombie, when I actually have gear it means I need to take more care with it. So killing or running off anyone who comes within a ~300m line of sight of me is the most prudent course of action.

Edited by Pandema

First of all, I am not sure about the increased difficulty, got almost not probs with zeds, because stealth works. Ppl also get enough loot now, the first week had bugged servers concerning loot. Most things are still quite common, now we even have a cooking tripod and a pot. Only food still seems to be less frequent in the normal spawns, so we are actively looking for meat, pumpkin seeds, .... .

But a lot of kos is about players being scared. Scared players shoot, and they are usually scared of other players shooting them. So if the gear they "worked hard for" and the fact that they managed to get highly energized is more important, they are more likely to shoot. My teammate died today, he ran back to us, we gave him as much food as we had. Then one spotted players and he said, something like "Let's hunt them, maybe they have food." The harder the game gets, the more scared ppl will be concerning loosing their char and I think that will result in more kos, also the "maybe they have food" says it all.

Or course there is also the opposite way, if survival is just no problem at all, ppl have nothing to do but shoot each other or go to some RP server. There is a sweet spot somewhere there, where kos related to how hard pve is is at it's lowest, I just think that rare food is a motivation for more kos. But food rarity is only one pve factor, so...

EDIT: There are players who prefer starvation to picking apples, I really don't get that.

Edited by bautschi

Increased difficulty is only going to increase KoS behavior. Think about it.

I've had less KoS happen. Actually not once since the patch. Probably because i've stayed away from the beach but also since I haven't played much. Things seem to be working better now though, there is actually loot, its just very random. All the people I've met have been starving and I've given them food and drink. They haven't had any firearms. Someone did take potshots at my truck today as i rolled through Elektro though. Bastards.

Due to there being less loot I feel the need to kill people more for their gear and food now.

As usual, only one side of the coin being explored here. As difficulty goes up and people see their lives as more valuable they will use more caution as they go about their ways. This means people becoming harder to see. If you aren't seen you can't be killed on sight.

Let's also not forget that no one really knows if they have been killed on sight. Dude may have been tracking you for the past 20 minutes and finally saw his opportunity. Or what about all the times someone observed you and let you live. You have no clue what the kill on sight ratio really is. It's basically a term thrown out any time someone dies and doesn't want to take responsibility for it, it must have been a KoS bastard!

Pro tip: Don't let your ego get in the way of you having fun with your games.

Edited by JubeiDOK