billyangstadt

.55 loot, I'll just leave it at this.

Took me about 2 flat out hours of searching for loot with zero yield before I started searching places I'd generally pass over. Cars, outhouses, sheds and garages, etc, are now the prime loot hotspots. Apartment buildings appear entirely empty though, have searched a handful completely across various locations and still 0 gear found within them.

Took me about 2 flat out hours of searching for loot with zero yield before I started searching places I'd generally pass over. Cars, outhouses, sheds and garages, etc, are now the prime loot hotspots. Apartment buildings appear entirely empty though, have searched a handful completely across various locations and still 0 gear found within them.

Well, they are changing the loot system today, so it's kind of moot. I will say this, I liked aspects of the scarcity of loot, but other parts really bothered me. If they make loot rare and random, it devalues places like military complexes so much that they will become barren. I checked a lot of them this patch, and never found anything interesting. While some do hate military bases, they exist for a reason, and that shouldn't be just to take up space. Yes, gear would get spread out given an EOTWAWKI scenario, but it really devalues the game for a good percentage of players. We have to envision that those dynamic chopper crashes mean the military is alive somewhere, and had to take off from a base. I think what happened is they didn't put enough thought into how fast the loot would dry up, and how spread out it would be spawning. If that bump up the overall numbers a bit, and tweak what is spawning to decrease the percentage of useless items, then it will be fun. I must say, after spending a lot of time this week picking apples and berries, I was getting somewhat aggravated. Growing a pumpkin was nice, but logistics of pumpkin harvesting and storage make it tedious.

The reason why they're complaining is because you can't do anything with a shirt. 

Running around for 100 hours looking for cans of tuna in a ripped up t-shirt is only so fun after so long. As it stands DayZ doesn't have enough mechanics to stand on it's own besides violent confrontations with other players, if it did bandits would not be the problem they already are.

Once they add things like farming and some sort of bartering system then people won't have a reason to kill each other as willy nilly as they are now.

As it stands there's literally no reason to not have high loot spawns so players can just go nuts and shoot each other. The game isn't finished yet, it's alpha so who cares.

The reason why they're complaining is because you can't do anything with a shirt. 

Running around for 100 hours looking for cans of tuna in a ripped up t-shirt is only so fun after so long. As it stands DayZ doesn't have enough mechanics to stand on it's own besides violent confrontations with other players, if it did bandits would not be the problem they already are.

Once they add things like farming and some sort of bartering system then people won't have a reason to kill each other as willy nilly as they are now.

As it stands there's literally no reason to not have high loot spawns so players can just go nuts and shoot each other. The game isn't finished yet, it's alpha so who cares.

The reason people were complaining is due to a bug causing some servers (mostly private) to spawn thousands of items fewer than they were supposed to. With the alteration of the loot system and the re-implementation of the legacy loot spawning system meant that the majority of servers were again spawning the correct amount of loot.

This issue was rectified over a month ago hence why this thread had died off.

As for your idea that by adding in farming (something which is already in the game FYI) and bartering (again something which you can already do simply by speaking to a player) you will see a reduction in bandits and KOS players is a fallacy. It won't happen like that because of farming, the only thing that will make KOS players think twice is rarity of ammunition and increased threat from zombies. These are things which will happen in time but not for a while until things are balanced (server performance and loot spawns/CLE).

I personally don't see a problem with bandits in game, it makes things more interesting and exciting knowing that at any time there may be someone watching you... heck, I've spent the last week on a private server being a KOS player because it's not something I ever do and with the wipe coming I wanted to get into some action. Managed to kill several players with my shotgun and mosin in this time. Would I have played differently if farming, hunting, base building etc. had been fully implemented and in depth? No, because it makes no difference to my situation and even if I did start to starve I would simply cut up the players I had killed (I had to twice to be able to leave rooms they were trapping me in with their corpses).

Truly? I've literally never seen anyone farm or mention farming although I have seen fertilizer laying around.

Essentially what I'm saying is that from what I have observed there has been an overeaction to bandits and server hoppers by decreasing loot to almost nonexistence. I spent around running around in circles on one server going to all the military bases and only found a single ruined markarov. That's absurd, this isn't the DayZ I remember from the mod.

The so called "pursists" only sprung up after the standalone. Look at all the videos of the mod days, it's always people fighting each other. Stabbing tuna cans and running away from zombies is only fun for so long.

Truly? I've literally never seen anyone farm or mention farming although I have seen fertilizer laying around.

Essentially what I'm saying is that from what I have observed there has been an overeaction to bandits and server hoppers by decreasing loot to almost nonexistence. I spent around running around in circles on one server going to all the military bases and only found a single ruined markarov. That's absurd, this isn't the DayZ I remember from the mod.

The so called "pursists" only sprung up after the standalone. Look at all the videos of the mod days, it's always people fighting each other. Stabbing tuna cans and running away from zombies is only fun for so long.

1) People farm all the time

2) The extreme low levels of loot is a bug. "Alpha" and all that

3) Good. You don't need military weapons to survive.

4) The Standalone IS NOT THE MOD. REPEAT: THE STANDALONE IS NOT THE MOD. Get that out of your head right now. Nor is it a continuation. An improvement/ A shoutout? Yes, but a completely different game nonetheless. The Standalone is a survival game, while the mod is a modification of a military simulator

There should be at least one non ruined weapon in all of the military bases on one server, this was yesterday the decreased loot spawns were an intentional design choice not a bug. You're punishing players like me because of server hoppers who will find military weapons and kill you people anyway.

Also, yes, it is a continuation of the mod. It uses the same engine for goodness sake, look at all the military weapons and gear they've added it's meant to be used. People like you who disdain looking for gear and playing the game have destroyed it. You people have destroyed DayZ. You just had to control the way other players wanted to play the game because "they're not really playing it the way it should be played maaan."

I'm so disappointed. What a waste of money.

Edited by ultrashake

Everyone needs to understand that there is more than one voice in this community, more than one perspective to look at.

Where six months ago when I quit I could still enjoy the rush of a decent firefight, the anxiety of knowing If I'm going to win or not. Now the best I have to hope for is getting shot by someone with an SKS from 300 yards away because I can't defend myself. Or at worst, glitchy laggy melee combat the engine was never designed around.

There should be at least one non ruined weapon in all of the military bases on one server, this was yesterday the decreased loot spawns were an intentional design choice not a bug. You're punishing players like me because of server hoppers who will find military weapons and kill you people anyway.

Also, yes, it is a continuation of the mod. It uses the same engine for goodness sake, look at all the military weapons and gear they've added it's meant to be used. People like you who disdain looking for gear and playing the game have destroyed it. You people have destroyed DayZ. You just had to control the way other players wanted to play the game because "they're not really playing it the way it should be played maaan."

I'm so disappointed. What a waste of money.

Seriously?

'People like you... have destroyed it' is massively inflammatory to other forums users and considering you don't know the person in question (I'm assuming it was either myself or Whyherro you were referring to as being responsible for the game as it stands) is just down right rude.

If you are talking about a lack of loot on .57 Experimental servers then that is an issue with the servers that the devs have been working to fix (there is also an exp thread in which to post comments).

If you are referring to .55 stable servers then I would suggest you are massively unlucky and possible over exaggerating the situation because Vybor Military Complex is usually the center of a lootsplosion meaning a ridiculously high amount of loot spawning in that one area. NWAF often has these issues too, although in my limited experience (I avoid military areas generally) it is normally confined to the northern most jail.

Prison Island will usually have a very high chance of spawning several MP5s, AK74s and Raks if you can survive the 5 minutes swimming.

So yeah, I do not see there ever being a stable server where you do laps around the map and find no weapon of any kind.

I spawned in with one character a week ago (hadn't played on the server since before the Blaze changed ammunition typed) and did a run across the northern towns of the map and by the time I had reached Novo (I headed from Mishinko) I had a fully decked Mosin, large amounts of ammo, Makarov with 3 mags and a sawn off shotgun. Hardly lacking in loot. That also didn't involve me server hopping military locations to find the gear, it simply involved me looking through buildings and towns, including overlooked areas like the tops of the newspaper stands.

+Edit+

Removed sarcastic comment to avoid potential flame war.

Apologies if it was taken in the wrong tone my friends.

Edited by stinkenheim

I'm not being rude. I see the direction it's headed as being highly problematic and now you are trying to stifle my voice because you dislike my opinions.

So thank you for kindly telling me that I am ruining the game by server hopping (which I can't do on Private shards) and also for explaining that because people do not have threads on the forums and Reddit informing everyone how they are creating epic farms that therefore horticulture is not yet implemented. Very insightful information there.

Please read that as sarcasm as that it how it has been written.

You pooh pooh me for being rude and patronize me in the same post?

Edited by ultrashake

Dude I am not 'stifling your voice' because I disagree with you, merely explaining that you are mistaken in your assumptions regarding there being no loot on servers and other features of the game not being implemented.

As for patronizing you, no, more gently mocking. I merely followed the tone that you laid down in your post regarding how players like me are destroying the game (which is inflammatory and rude.)

I have at least refrained from insisting that the way that you play is destroying the game, because it isn't, no more than anyone else's playstyle is damaging to a game still being created and which has not had several key features fully implemented. Rest assured there will be advances in horticulture, cooking, crafting, base building etc. Check out some of the threads in the dev section which speak about the hermit lifestyle and how they are introducing and developing more ways for people to live off the land and survive without the need for high level military loot.

The game will always feature bandits and KOSers in the same way that it will always feature players who like to troll people, fresh spawns running through Elektro with Belgian Electro-funk blaring through their speakers, hoarders and those who simply want to live in the woods and just survive as best they can. It's a sandbox game, every way of 'life' is acceptable and allowed it's just some will be more successful than others.

If you are struggling with the game (many people are) then take another break. Check up on the status reports, maybe browse the forums a bit and see what's happening, but please don't just complain that people are destroying the game and because on one server you didn't find that AKM you so desperately wanted that everything in the game is now rubbish and that it is broken etc. etc.

I don't mean to sound patronizing, I'm also not being sarcastic now because I don't want a flame war that will serve no purpose in this thread. I think there may be some interesting points that you raise but by me not agreeing with you in no way am I trying to silence you. It just means that we don't have the same opinion and being the internet it will always be difficult to judge how others read your posts.

That's fine. No one needs to be hostile or anything. I'm just worried because we only have so long until it goes into beta.

I don't want Dayz to go from a post apocalyptic game where you need to be wary Of every stranger you meet to Farmville+zombies because some people don't like getting into fights. My apologies if I wasn't clearer earlier.

It won't ever be 'farmville with zombies' all the while there are weapons in it so have no fear on that. It shouldn't be just a straight up deathmatch game though.

It's a survival game so things should be hard to find, make etc. Farming should be a good option to aid survival and will likely be the most reliable source of food for most people. Doesn't mean everyone is going to go all Rick Grimes and become pacifist farmers though.

Beta will likely be around .70 (can't remember the exact number but it was +/-5 i think) so there is still plenty of time. Also don't forget that the implementation of things like CLE will happen in Alpha but a lot of the fine tuning, tweaking and bug fixing will be done during the Beta stages so even though they are in it doesn't mean that that is how it will stay until release.

Well put. Everyone who is whining about loot would be f*cked in a real apocalypse :p

I'm curious. When was the last apocalypse you survived so you could be here today to tell us what loot to expect in a "real" apocalypse?

I think it's safe to assume that grocery stores / supermarkets would be empty from people looting them right before an apocalypse. In DayZ, I might have found one or two cans of food in a supermarket when I first started playing DayZ. Nowadays I don't find any food in the supermarkets in DayZ.

Where do I find canned goods and food in DayZ? In houses. You know, those buildings that people live in. Homes where you would expect to find food that's been taken from supermarkets.

If DayZ were released today, one would expect that the game "takes place" soon after the apocalypse. Therefore it's safe to assume there would be some food worth looting in a few of the homes in Chenaraus.

Some people say they don't want any canned goods or lootable food in DayZ. So, that would leave only hunting animals and growing stuff. If that were the end design of DayZ, you would have one big boring game. No one would move around the map, except to hunt the occasional rabbit, pig, cow or whatever. Chances are we would set up our own camps, and gardens, and only venture out to kill a rabbit or two. Of course you would have your bandits who would risk starvation by traveling the hills of Chenaraus to steal someone else's food and livestock. Or not.

Bottom line, I think the developers are doing a bang up job of creating DayZ. But if some of the forum posters have their way, I fear Dayz would sell few copies in the long run.

Please, share your stories of the last apocalypse you survived. I'm sure the devs would love to hear your expertise on the subject. Hey, we could even put together a reality show. Hmmmm. Let's call it, "DayZ: Stories from survivors of the Apocalypse". Maybe HBO or Showtime would pick it up. Eh?

Edited by BulletGarden

so there is useless loot like teddybears and shirts in your picture. whats your point

so there is useless loot like teddybears and shirts in your picture. whats your point

they are far from useless...i strore my fav. books in them :)  and notes :)

Teddy bears are not useless.

Teddy bears actually provide protection for the items you place inside them. They won't get ruined.