break

Is PvP & Atmosphere Dying in DayZ SA?

I can't speak for Break, but the devs quite clearly don't share my vision of a post-apocalyptic zombie-infested world. If they did, they wouldn't be adding silly broomstick combat, fluffy teddy bears and pink dresses, and toy guns.

I'm not sure how the presence of certain everyday items can give you a picture of what the DEV's vision is.

Diseases are coming. Food spawns will be dramatically decreased once cooking and animals are in order. Zombies will soon be much greater in number with much better AI. New long term crafting and survival mechanics are being added. Vehicles will soon require repairs. These are the things that show you what the DEV's vision is, not random low-loot objects in the game.

And where can I find these toy guys? 

Edited by solodude23
  • Like 5

You don't see how the environment we play in is an essential part of the post-apocalyptic atmosphere? I don't even know what to say to that... :/

I'm not sure how the presence of certain everyday items can give you a picture of what the DEV's vision is. And where can I find these toy guys?

Edit: Anyway, this is Break's thread. I suspect my sardonic style probably won't be very helpful, so I'm going to stop there.

Edited by Fat Larry
  • Like 1

I'm aware some of the issues I've raised are infact growing pains of a developing game that we wouldn't normally get to see. 

What I'm referring to is how the devs have tailored the game to be easier to people who can't be bother to explore & how difficult they're trying to make KOS.

The running speed thing is silly. I read somewhere that the running speed in the current DayZ SA is 42kph. In the mod it was unrealistic at 21kph, but I mean it is after all a game, and it has to be fun. But doubling the speed has had a detrimental affect on KOS, especially when you factor in desync & unbelievably quick strafing animations. Why raise it just so people can get to places faster? 

The sway is also at a point now where it genuinely puts me off playing the game. Run more than 20m, and thats it....I can't shoot anything for 45 seconds...even If I lie down nothing changes. I know they changed this from early on, but at what point did someone think that this is ok? This is fine to leave in for another year...Why not continue tweaking it, until its at a middle ground? Until its manageable at least....OR maybe fix hold breath, because that still doesn't work. 

Again!!! I want to stress I'm not hating here. I know this is what an alpha brings, but if you're going to patch running up hills out quickly, and patch out F11 bug using, and program vehicles, why not tweak aiming or patch hold breath? Shooting is quite important wouldn't you agree? 

The people not being where I want them to be is me being selfish I guess. The loot will be fixed, and I know they're actually working on dynamic centralised loot, which sounds amazing! But it seemed strange to overload the prison on the 1st iteration. Why not make it spawn 1 AK, 1 Mag or 1 MP5? Why crazy amounts? Its obvious that the loot routes and map travel would be compromised when 4 AK's, 10 Mags, 3 MP5's 2 Shotguns and so on spawn there. I just don't get it. Its more than the rest of the map combined....

I agree, I think randomised spawns are the way forward. I think loot should be spread equally all over the map. I don't think there should be a specific area you go to to get geared, or choppers can ONLY crash in the west...I mean if anything its short sighted. I think military loot should be scattered all over the map, in small amounts & spawns should be completely random. Military bases should be equally distributed, from west to east giving players a reason to travel around the whole of the map. Not just spawn in and run to Elektro like the SA now, and in the same sentiment, not just spawn in and run north like in the Mod. I think you should spawn in and not know where you want to go, until you know where you are...then make plans. 

<3

• Like 2

There are 6 full 1pp servers right now as I'm posting this,

I agree with the vast majority of what you are saying except the quote above, unless you are talking about Private hives - which I am heartily against. In North America, I get NO full Public 1PP servers. There are a couple nearly full ones in EU but of course my ping is horrible on them and so is the desync.

I can get close to full Public 1PP servers in NA on the weekends, otherwise I'll be lucky to get 12 player pops. Most are 3 or 5. Without the threat of players, DayZ has 0 tension so playing on servers of 3 is pointless.

• Like 1

I'm aware some of the issues I've raised are infact growing pains of a developing game that we wouldn't normally get to see. 

What I'm referring to is how the devs have tailored the game to be easier to people who can't be bother to explore & how difficult they're trying to make KOS.

The running speed thing is silly. I read somewhere that the running speed in the current DayZ SA is 42kph. In the mod it was unrealistic at 21kph, but I mean it is after all a game, and it has to be fun. But doubling the speed has had a detrimental affect on KOS, especially when you factor in desync & unbelievably quick strafing animations. Why raise it just so people can get to places faster? 

The sway is also at a point now where it genuinely puts me off playing the game. Run more than 20m, and thats it....I can't shoot anything for 45 seconds...even If I lie down nothing changes. I know they changed this from early on, but at what point did someone think that this is ok? This is fine to leave in for another year...Why not continue tweaking it, until its at a middle ground? Until its manageable at least....OR maybe fix hold breath, because that still doesn't work. 

Again!!! I want to stress I'm not hating here. I know this is what an alpha brings, but if you're going to patch running up hills out quickly, and patch out F11 bug using, and program vehicles, why not tweak aiming or patch hold breath? Shooting is quite important wouldn't you agree? 

The people not being where I want them to be is me being selfish I guess. The loot will be fixed, and I know they're actually working on dynamic centralised loot, which sounds amazing! But it seemed strange to overload the prison on the 1st iteration. Why not make it spawn 1 AK, 1 Mag or 1 MP5? Why crazy amounts? Its obvious that the loot routes and map travel would be compromised when 4 AK's, 10 Mags, 3 MP5's 2 Shotguns and so on spawn there. I just don't get it. Its more than the rest of the map combined....

I agree, I think randomised spawns are the way forward. I think loot should be spread equally all over the map. I don't think there should be a specific area you go to to get geared, or choppers can ONLY crash in the west...I mean if anything its short sighted. I think military loot should be scattered all over the map, in small amounts & spawns should be completely random. Military bases should be equally distributed, from west to east giving players a reason to travel around the whole of the map. Not just spawn in and run to Elektro like the SA now, and in the same sentiment, not just spawn in and run north like in the Mod. I think you should spawn in and not know where you want to go, until you know where you are...then make plans. 

<3

I think SA will be nothing like what the Mod was. I've been watching some old squad videos of the Mod in which 2 or 3 skilled squads vie for control of a region and compare them with the "entertainer" streamers and their "squads" (TehJamJar, Blackout, etc.) in SA and the two styles are worlds apart. The days of true tactical squad play are gone.

I believe SA is going the route of an apocalypse survival game where the focus will be on surviving the environment and the Infected in which PvP will be incidental (unless you want to stay on the coast and don't mind dying and respawning every 5 minutes and DMing with axes). I'm doubtful they will be able to pull off the tension inherent in the Mod (the early days before the mods of the mod came out) by using the environment and infected instead of the player-base to create that tension. But I await 1.0 with hope that they strike the right balance and re-gain the anti-game feel.

( had longer version chose this one )

PVP is like hunting / fishing .. right now the pond needs to be restocked and the game needs to be managed better. 

dev's are working hard but we are all afraid of what they might get wrong and waiting sucks. 

keep up the good work and you will be rewarded. 

I play mainly on Ashes of NYC. It is a mid/low pop server that ranges from 5-10 but peaks up to full capacity from time to time.

I have a lot of encounters out west. More than you because people who want to play on full pop servers mainly fall into two categories:

1. Coast rats with welfare gear who dont really care about gearing up

2. Clans who want to flex their muscle with their TS and gear farmed from their own servers

This results in most people heading to the coast cities and KOSing.

What I like about my servers is I have met the admins and know them. The server ranges in size but there is always action out west. The server regulars are all looting Northwest making it more dangerous than the coast.

You can say I am a pussy for playing on a low pop server BUT here is the deal...I can go on 50 man servers and loot all of NW and not meet a soul...whereas on Ashes of NYC with 5-10 people on I will run into 3 or 4 of them or see signs of them at the least.

So server pop is a matter of context. If a server is popular and always full on the public hive it is likely tailored to those who want the DM exp.

mid/active low pop servers like Ashes have a base of regulars who are not looting electro 24/7 cause better loot is Northwest area. The server does peak up during prime time which gives you a more varied population which is also nice BUT you always have the regulars who could be in that area.

A lot of people recommend the private hive exp but I like having the flexibility of the public hive to meet up with others or what not.

In regards to 1pp though I feel you are judging those who play 3pp too harshly.

1. The mod was not 1pp only

2. Not all of us have time to dedicate to characters on both (my reason I loved 1pp but I am too ocd as it is with my 3pp)

3. The game was obviously built with 3pp in mind with 1pp as a side note. (some many details you miss in 1pp only)

4. The wall peaking is an issue and breaks immersion but it goes both ways and the devs have mentioned they are working to fix/improve it

I think more people need to advertise 1st person.  Sacriel/Ngotie/Break all got me into wanting to play first person, and now I cannot stand third person.  I enjoy Break and Ngotie's streams, but I have watched much less of Break's streams lately since he started to play third person.  I understand his decision and why he did it, but all it ends up being is a wallpeeking battle with a lot less tactical gameplay.  They were the last hope.  Are they going to be the ones who make 1pp viable?  Probably not alone.  But they were the ones who taught everyone that there were better options, and at least made people think when it came to "tactical gameplay".  I know streams evolve over time, and I am not personally attacking Break or anything (I think you are a great streamer).  But third person to me is just so, blah to me.  First person is just what you guys represented to me, and it just sucks that it isn't seen as much anymore.  Even though you can get streamsniped and its frustrating, I think it makes for a more awesome stream.  The hardcore tactical squadplay is what I crave.

On another note:

I think on third person, a lot less people go north.  Or a lot of people can avoid getting spotted because of being in third person (checking areas with being seen).  I was teaching my friend the game the other day and all the mechanics, so we played some third person just to allow him to get introduced to the game (he played tons of MOD with me, but they are different animals).  We played the first day for two hours, teaching him the basics, showing him where to get gear.  We looped from Berezino, to novy, stary, Veresnik, NWAF (looted every building), lopatino.  In that entire time we did not see a single person.  The next day he played, we did a similar loot run, but just for military gear.  He kept asking "Im ready to die now, lets go find some people".  All I could say was "umm, we are at the main hubs already".  So we kept looting looking around, saw no one again.  Third day, we did a similar loot run and got so frustrated at NWAF, we literally ran across the open field to the ATC hoping to be shot.  Nothing.  So we went back to Veresnik, and then into vybor looking for people.  That entire three day span, probably 8-10 hours played, did not see a single player in the northwest.

As for the gunsway, it is complete bullshit.  It gives an incentive to camp, which gives more advantage to third person players (sit behind wall, wait for player who is running).  Now if they balanced it to where you could hold your breath and cut down on it drastically that would be reasonable.  Personally, if you are drastically out of breath your gun is not swaying the way it does it game anyway.  It just spins in wide unpredictable circles, and takes forever to get rid of.  They need to decrease sway drastically, and add a hold breath function to bring skillshots into gunplay more.

THIS!!!! 3PP NEEDS TO BE REMOVED!

It absolutely invites a different type of player - the ones more interested in wearing dresses than getting into tense situations that might cost them their dresses.

BUT, 3PP will never be removed; Hicks and crew have said it time and time again. So we need to move on and hope that the community learns to appreciate 1PP. Ideally streamers and content creators start to profile it. But as one of the posters above said, Break and Ngotie don't do 1PP any favours by being as overwhelmingly negative about the game when streaming. It hardly makes anyone want to play much less play 1PP.

I really enjoy Ngotie's ArmA3 streams because he seems to actually enjoy playing it. "Serious fun."

Edited by SeeJayPee

Once again had a geared character reset for no reason. This IS a reason people get fed up with bullshit and start broom battling in Elektro (which will probably get fixed in time).

Edited by IgnobleBasterd

I don't know if its just the phase its going through right now with the patches, but DayZ feels more of an RP/Elektro fight sim than a "hardcore" zombie apocalypse sim.

I agree with everything you said except a tiny part in this sentence.

Roleplay should be encouraged more than anything in this game. When the mod first came out, before it was called DayZ, it was called "Zombie Apocalypse RP".

Just a little sad that the devs are taking the "this is your story" slogan and turning it into "this is your game experience".

DayZ is turning into more of a game than a simulator, whereas the mod was a good 70/30 split.

• Like 1

I see guys wearing no pants, a pink raincoat and a stetson hitting a totally naked guy with a broomstick....

shut up and take my money!!!11

The standalone does feel "off" somehow. I don't feel threatened up north. In fact I rarely see anyone when I'm up north whereas in the mod I had firefights at Pobeda dam or Grozovoy pass. IMO this is because there are no camps and no incentives to make them. Why go up north? There's no point. There's not much PVP and there's not much loot, you can get everything between you need between Prison Island and Veresnik. Maybe I'm just too used to this game and it's lost its edge.

On streamsniping, that's what I was getting at earlier, maybe you need to take the hits in the short term for the long term gains. If no one is going to advertise (stream) 1pp play then the noobs aren't going to see the benefits and therefore won't help populate the servers in the future, things will never improve. No one else is streaming 1pp, at least no one as popular as you and now that you are playing 3pp your stream is starting to become just like all the others, you've lost your identity dude.

Literally 95% of servers and players are 3PP. That makes one 20 times more likely to be stream sniped on 1PP. You can't blame streamers for not wanting to be stream-sniped.

3PP peeking is obviously a shitty mechanic and shouldn't be in an "anti-game". But people are too used to it. They try it, feel restricted (that's the point) and head back to peekaboo mode. Best hope for bringing people to 1PP is the popular communities such as ZaP, UN, DayZUnderground, etc. Good luck convincing the coast rat hordes that they should switch to 1PP because it's more realistic, fair, and immersive - those people don't care about that.

The standalone does feel "off" somehow. I don't feel threatened up north. In fact I rarely see anyone when I'm up north whereas in the mod I had firefights at Pobeda dam or Grozovoy pass. IMO this is because there are no camps and no incentives to make them. Why go up north? There's no point. There's not much PVP and there's not much loot, you can get everything between you need between Prison Island and Veresnik. Maybe I'm just too used to this game and it's lost its edge.

Literally 95% of servers and players are 3PP. That makes one 20 times more likely to be stream sniped on 1PP. You can't blame streamers for not wanting to be stream-sniped.

3PP peeking is obviously a shitty mechanic and shouldn't be in an "anti-game". But people are too used to it. They try it, feel restricted (that's the point) and head back to peekaboo mode. Best hope for bringing people to 1PP is the popular communities such as ZaP, UN, DayZUnderground, etc. Good luck convincing the coast rat hordes that they should switch to 1PP because it's more realistic, fair, and immersive - those people don't care about that.

Good luck convincing anyone of anything when there's a very vocal community of 1pp people using such toxic language.  It's hard to convince people to try something when you are constantly telling them they are doing it wrong and worse.

I started this game in third person and it's the mode I prefer.  I've played first person and it's alright but it's not my preference.  In ArmA I often play first person as it suits some of the game styles better for me.  That said, the first person community on DayZ gets no sympathy from me when all they do is spout untrue rhetoric in the most obnoxious and insulting way possible.

To address the feel of the SA as a whole there's a variety of issues, not least of which a lot of us are playing a game that's essentially 3 years old now (the SA has a lot of differences from the mod, but at the heart it's the same game).  The SA has started over and made a ton of improvements but unfortunately they're coming in increments that we're all here to experience as they happen.  The end result is that there's no drastic change to gameplay over the course of this period and there's really nothing more to do now than there was 3 years ago, arguably less in terms of end goals as the SA lacks persistence in any meaningful fashion.

That stuff will change, but again we'll be there as it does and there's the risk of being burnt out.  I'm in such a period myself right now where the private server I play has begun a decline, and between that and other factors I've reached yet another lull in my enthusiasm to play.  Taking breaks is healthy however, and coming back with another patch or two can respark that interest.

• Like 1

Good luck convincing anyone of anything when there's a very vocal community of 1pp people using such toxic language.  It's hard to convince people to try something when you are constantly telling them they are doing it wrong and worse.

I started this game in third person and it's the mode I prefer.  I've played first person and it's alright but it's not my preference.  In ArmA I often play first person as it suits some of the game styles better for me.  That said, the first person community on DayZ gets no sympathy from me when all they do is spout untrue rhetoric in the most obnoxious and insulting way possible.

To address the feel of the SA as a whole there's a variety of issues, not least of which a lot of us are playing a game that's essentially 3 years old now (the SA has a lot of differences from the mod, but at the heart it's the same game).  The SA has started over and made a ton of improvements but unfortunately they're coming in increments that we're all here to experience as they happen.  The end result is that there's no drastic change to gameplay over the course of this period and there's really nothing more to do now than there was 3 years ago, arguably less in terms of end goals as the SA lacks persistence in any meaningful fashion.

That stuff will change, but again we'll be there as it does and there's the risk of being burnt out.  I'm in such a period myself right now where the private server I play has begun a decline, and between that and other factors I've reached yet another lull in my enthusiasm to play.  Taking breaks is healthy however, and coming back with another patch or two can respark that interest.

i think what started the vitrol was naming it "hardcore" 

A huge part of this thread seems to be about a guy who prefers playing 1pp, but plays in 3pp for the sake of his stream due to player numbers on 1pp vs 3pp. To that I say, can't you just play in 1pp on a 3pp server? I do it and since you sound as experienced in the game as I, you can too. I will not accept the argument of doing so gives the rest of the server an advantage over you because it does not. If someone is intent on parascoping from behind cover like a coward, you can't see them in 3pp or 1pp so there is no difference. The only difference is that you choose not to. You choose to take on that extra level of challenge, thus making the game a little more intense, no?

As for the direction of the game, I have one main concern; the producers. I've said it before and I'll say it again, the producers on this project are in over their heads. Everyone else is good to go, but the ones deciding the schedule and keeping the team and project on track are dropping the fucking ball. It's just one bonehead decision after another with very little iteration from one update to another. To me, it doesn't matter what you say is coming, it matters what you show me. The only thing that matters to me as a player is what goes into every new build that gets released, because that's what I get my hands on, that's what I learn from, that's what teaches me the game. What's currently in the game is what dictates how I go about tackling any given situation. I image it's the same for most of you too. So what they are doing is playing a dangerous game. If you have the run speed at a ridiculous 42kph for over a year, what do you expect from a player base that has been conditioned to that when it gets taken away? Will you be expecting positive feedback at that point, does anyone? What do you think will happen when a million players who are being preconditioned to finding canned food in every other house all of a sudden can't find shit? What happens to the voice of 1 million pseudo fanboys when their average life span drops from 1.5 hours to 20 minutes? This is a major factor of early access development and something I don't think the producers are lending much thought to; player patterns, tendencies and habits. You are forming them, right here, right now at this stage of development and 1.25 years in as awfully long time to get set into your ways. I don't know about you, but I don't want to be anywhere near these forums if and when these major changes start to occur.

PS. I will never get over just how many things they felt were more important to get into the game ahead of lots and lots of zombies.

• Like 1

Well said JubeiDOK on both topics.  I think most people want/enjoy a harder experience, but giving people something then taking it away is a bad process to do it.  It just results in it feeling like an arbitrary condition.  Now the game is suddenly hard because things were taken away, not necessarily because it was designed that way.

The amount of alluding to 1PP being the "hardcore" version of this game is getting silly. I have played ARMA2 for years prior to Dayz, and there is a major reason why this game series has 3PP to begin with. It is a military sim that has many features that no other game does, however, 1PP on this engine and map design is simply awful. It is slow, restrictive, annoying and not realistic. Even the console clones of the more recent Cod and Battlefield games have better 1PP than this game does. Third person gives a much more realistic perspective of being able to spot things infront of you quickly, as well as properly position your body behind cover. Sure it comes with the downside of being able to look around and above objects, but that is something that works both ways and you can simply learn to adapt to it or play on the 1PP servers that exist if you cannot. Third person has its downsides when you try to bullshit gameplay, especially in CQB where trying to look around doorways can easily get you shot in the side by the same person you are trying to find. Majority of people are playing 3PP simply because it is a better experience with less annoyance of this game engine's limitations. 

• Like 1

The amount of alluding to 1PP being the "hardcore" version of this game is getting silly. I have played ARMA2 for years prior to Dayz, and there is a major reason why this game series has 3PP to begin with. It is a military sim that has many features that no other game does, however, 1PP on this engine and map design is simply awful. It is slow, restrictive, annoying and not realistic. Even the console clones of the more recent Cod and Battlefield games have better 1PP than this game does. Third person gives a much more realistic perspective of being able to spot things infront of you quickly, as well as properly position your body behind cover. Sure it comes with the downside of being able to look around and above objects, but that is something that works both ways and you can simply learn to adapt to it or play on the 1PP servers that exist if you cannot. Third person has its downsides when you try to bullshit gameplay, especially in CQB where trying to look around doorways can easily get you shot in the side by the same person you are trying to find. Majority of people are playing 3PP simply because it is a better experience with less annoyance of this game engine's limitations. 

Hmm as a player of arma for years than you know why the named 1pp as the harder version of the game.. Because they have always named 1pp the harder version of the game, load up arma right now and play veteran level or higher difficulty and guess what your locked to 1pp..

But this seems regardless of the idea of this thread .PS i love how people feel they can say why ALL PEOPLE who play a certain perspective do , for the love of god answers for yourself because you have fuck all idea why joe smith prefers 3pp or 1pp.

• Like 1

If you have the run speed at a ridiculous 42kph for over a year, what do you expect from a player base that has been conditioned to that when it gets taken away? Will you be expecting positive feedback at that point, does anyone? What do you think will happen when a million players who are being preconditioned to finding canned food in every other house all of a sudden can't find shit? What happens to the voice of 1 million pseudo fanboys when their average life span drops from 1.5 hours to 20 minutes?

Like any good player if they truly like the game they will find ways to adapt to the new changes. Everyone that bought this game knew it wasn't a finished project. I really think allot of ppl just don't like to read ether that or just don't care ether way.

PS. I will never get over just how many things they felt were more important to get into the game ahead of lots and lots of zombies.

I really agree with this. This was the first thing that should have been tackled. I knew it was going to bite them back in the ass latter on down the road.

A huge part of this thread seems to be about a guy who prefers playing 1pp, but plays in 3pp for the sake of his stream due to player numbers on 1pp vs 3pp. To that I say, can't you just play in 1pp on a 3pp server? I do it and since you sound as experienced in the game as I, you can too. I will not accept the argument of doing so gives the rest of the server an advantage over you because it does not. If someone is intent on parascoping from behind cover like a coward, you can't see them in 3pp or 1pp so there is no difference. The only difference is that you choose not to. You choose to take on that extra level of challenge, thus making the game a little more intense, no?

Well, this is simply not true and your argument is invalid.

Good luck convincing anyone of anything when there's a very vocal community of 1pp people using such toxic language.
Should not need any convincing as the implications of peeking are obvious for everyone and it's pretty clear that it hurts both atmosphere and gameplay. Also there are 3pp elitists as well that seem to take pride in using this to their advantage. In fact I think most of the 1st person players would prefer to play on 1st/3rd person servers but using the 1st for atmosphere. You cannot do this right now as peeking puts you in a disadvantage (so perspective is not a matter of choice as it should be) while also warping gameplay around this mechanic (something it should not do).

The OP mentions many of the issues with the current build most of which I am positive will be fixed at some point. In my opinion the core problems are the extremely low consequences for dying and the things I listed here. Basically the DayZ world being pretty empty as of now - aside from weapon who are plentiful and even received free slots so everyone can carry one or two without problems no matter their gear.

Hey, yeah my post was never intended to be a 1pp VS 3pp thread. Although I prefer 1pp, & think it better fits the atmosphere of an antigame zombie apocalypse, 3pp does have a place in SA and I wouldn't like to see it removed. People should play how they like, and do what makes them feel comfortable or have a more enjoyable experience. 

Playing in 1pp is clunky, it has been in all arma games...even A3 still feels a little clunky. Hopefully this is something the devs are working on. If they work on player movement & make 1pp feel a little smoother this tied in with improvements regarding the FPS will make all the difference I'm sure. Hopefully then we will see it balance out, but until then the player base is completely split...and tbh it kinda sucks being in the 10% I guess....

• Like 1

Please don't turn it into another 1pp vs 3pp battle.

Mod had a whole bunch of elektro fighters aswell. Personally I'd like to see more rare AND usefull loot or some sort of base/shelter building to make surviving more appealing.