Sign in to follow this  
Samuri_Bake_Pie

Why snipers aren't going away

With all the new implementations, future zombie hordes, vehicles, etc, I've seen a lot of people saying automatic weapons are the way to go. Granted they help a crap ton if you are in the open and have a shit ton of zombies and or players chasing you, you just can't beat the preparedness and patience of a GOOD sniper. Basically, it boils down to player preference. If you know the map well, you know the mechanics well, and you are patient, sniping is the way to go. You will be silent, and when you shoot once, you move at least 200 yards, and no one will hear you until they are dead. If you are new, you don't know what gear to have, what attachments to have, then obviously automatics with the spray and pray mentality are the way to go. Even if you are an experienced DayZ Veteran, some of you don't like to wait out for targets and take such long distance shots and that's okay, go for the automatic. I'm just really sick of people saying sniping is gonna be non-existent soon. It will be existent as long as I play DayZ because its based off play-style. If you have 1300+ hours on DayZ as I do, then sniping is a fun way to get endgame stuff and taking the time to set up the perfect situation for long range killing. Granted if you don't really know what you are doing then you give snipers a bad name by taking 500 million shots from the same spot and missing because you didn't properly prepare. Snipers are hit or miss. You can be really bad at it, and you will be bad at sniping. If you don't find the right terrain, the right opening, the right timing, the right attachments, the right server, and the right gear, you will mess up and miss a lot more then often. But, if you do everything right, sniping, even with the Mosin fucking naggant, can be a deadly asset to any team or lone wolf. Automatics are cool and all, and if I go into any city I would prefer one over a shotgun, or a sniper any day, but they will not take over the game. Many people will use them, many people will get kills with them, but I will stay up on the hill 1000 meters away and take out people one at a time rather then get fucked up close range. I don't dislike automatics, they are useful in many situations and fit the majority of players play-style, they just aren't for me, and many other people and I will continue to use them no matter how overpowered automatics get. 

• Like 2

With all the new implementations, future zombie hordes, vehicles, etc, I've seen a lot of people saying automatic weapons are the way to go. Granted they help a crap ton if you are in the open and have a shit ton of zombies and or players chasing you, you just can't beat the preparedness and patience of a GOOD sniper. Basically, it boils down to player preference. If you know the map well, you know the mechanics well, and you are patient, sniping is the way to go. You will be silent, and when you shoot once, you move at least 200 yards, and no one will hear you until they are dead. If you are new, you don't know what gear to have, what attachments to have, then obviously automatics with the spray and pray mentality are the way to go. Even if you are an experienced DayZ Veteran, some of you don't like to wait out for targets and take such long distance shots and that's okay, go for the automatic. I'm just really sick of people saying sniping is gonna be non-existent soon. It will be existent as long as I play DayZ because its based off play-style. If you have 1300+ hours on DayZ as I do, then sniping is a fun way to get endgame stuff and taking the time to set up the perfect situation for long range killing. Granted if you don't really know what you are doing then you give snipers a bad name by taking 500 million shots from the same spot and missing because you didn't properly prepare. Snipers are hit or miss. You can be really bad at it, and you will be bad at sniping. If you don't find the right terrain, the right opening, the right timing, the right attachments, the right server, and the right gear, you will mess up and miss a lot more then often. But, if you do everything right, sniping, even with the Mosin fucking naggant, can be a deadly asset to any team or lone wolf. Automatics are cool and all, and if I go into any city I would prefer one over a shotgun, or a sniper any day, but they will not take over the game. Many people will use them, many people will get kills with them, but I will stay up on the hill 1000 meters away and take out people one at a time rather then get fucked up close range. I don't dislike automatics, they are useful in many situations and fit the majority of players play-style, they just aren't for me, and many other people and I will continue to use them no matter how overpowered automatics get. 

Well until they come out with rifles with more bang for there buck allot of ppl are going to choose automatics over a rifle you have to manually reload every single time. Yes its true a good sniper can be devastating in most situations but allot of the tools and functions for this play style are still way to early in development to make it 100% viable yet.

Zombie hordes could change this. You think you're all good, set up for some sniping, pop a shot off and 20 zeds come from the backside of the mountain you were on. :facepalm:

Also seperate your points with paragraphs. :thumbsup:

Edited by CornProducts
  • Like 10

1. Sniping isn't a problem, a lack of consequence for killing folk (i.e. getting destroyed by a pack of zombies for firing willy nilly near any town) is.

2. You're essentially describing the behavior of a "good" sniper. I'm not sure what's problematic about this, or if you find it problematic. You can run away, or take any myriad of alternative approaches when coming up against a talented sniper. Just by virtue of moving, you exponentially increase your likelihood of not getting shot no matter how good the guy is (especially with the limited repertoire of sniper rifles).

3. Very few of the mitigating factors you're citing as being geared toward "countering" snipers have actually been implemented in their full/final iterations, if at all. Sniping now is virtually unchanged from what it was when Standalone first dropped, with some minor caveats to that.

I never really understood why people, for one, view sniping as a problem (I'm not saying you do). And secondly, I never understood why it's therefore viewed as the "endgame" objective. There's more to life, and DayZ, than sniping. I love it, but many of my most memorable encounters in DayZ have not involved sniping and/or sniper rifles.

Edited by Katana67
  • Like 6

There's some sort of myth that "the Sniper" is the be-all end-all of Dayz. Some sort of apex-predator that is leagues above the rest.

• Like 1

You know what? stop worrying about the next direction. Every time we see a new update something else comes up. Snipers, M4, AUG's etc all of them have range. If your clearing buildings or simply need to clear up to 100m then those ak guns work well. Every single time we see an update something else changes.

It really all depends on how your game play pays off.

Realistically, I find these zombie hordes way out there. They upped the speed of them to be directly behind you all the time hitting you. Don't put in collision effects like walls, and sandbags because they just walk right through them sometimes. The AI is blown up too much and you will see them stepped back some here and there. So hordes coming at you by the dozens might happen with open gun fire from a mosin. 

The utube videos show proof that the speed of a zombie (infected) is not realistic. We will discuss this again and again during .55 you watch. They will still chase you down and nothing will slow them down like before. This needs to change, hopefully before beta comes out.

But lets see, I maybe blowing my horn too soon. But I think many things in Dayz needs a complete Nerf! Zombies included.

Edited by TheSneakyDude

There's some sort of myth that "the Sniper" is the be-all end-all of Dayz. Some sort of apex-predator that is leagues above the rest.

no, only The Good Sniper.

The player who has mastered not only the shooting mechanics but has a solid concept of lines of sight and how obvious he or she is in thier surroundings. Being a sniper isn't just being a good shot (tho that's important.) It's being able to judge your surroundings, being observant and noticing what (and who) else might be in the area and where. and most importantly, having the patience to WAIT. i see this all to often- "sniper" players who see a target and start firing away the first time they get a shot without taking any time to observe and choose their moment.

• Like 2

no, only The Good Sniper.

The player who has mastered not only the shooting mechanics but has a solid concept of lines of sight and how obvious he or she is in thier surroundings. Being a sniper isn't just being a good shot (tho that's important.) It's being able to judge your surroundings, being observant and noticing what (and who) else might be in the area and where. and most importantly, having the patience to WAIT. i see this all to often- "sniper" players who see a target and start firing away the first time they get a shot without taking any time to observe and choose their moment.

You've just described a good survivor.

As I was reading this, I thought back to all the " Apex " Predators i'd killed with an axe..

• Like 3

As I was reading this, I thought back to all the " Apex " Predators i'd killed with an axe..

Atta boy.

• Like 1

First - sorry for my bad english.

i hear it's hard to be a good sniper bla bla bla :(

But where is the challenge killing someone from  1000 yards ? Wait for the perfect shot ?

Just laying down and wait to kill. I think it's not the goal in Dayz, as Dayz is a survivor game. So you have to kill threats to survive, and tell me how someone in the town in Electro is a threat for you when you are hidding in the forest far far away

Sniper is just a way to say to the world i'm the boss, but in reality you're just hidding because you're afraid by death. I know it's hard to find the good moment, etc.... but quite coward.....

[/troll]  :lol:

• Like 3

And what is the point of sniping again in a zombie survival game where skills used to keep people alive are far more important.

Sniper comes into a camp, "Hi I'm a GOOD sniper"

Survivors, "Great so what else can you do?"

"I can snipe,"

"Yeah we don't really need you but you can grab that bucket and go fetch some water if you want to help out?"

• Like 5

even with the Mosin fucking naggant,

Get out of here with that garbage.  If it's good enough for Vasili Zaitsev and Simo Hayha, it's good enough for you.

'Sniping' isn't just firing from 1000m and running away.  

I will never understand the appeal of 'sniping', regardless of the game. I would find it incredibly boring to lay in a bush all the time. I also think if you shoot someone from far away you are essentially robbing that guy and you the chance for a firefight that is fun. But I guess it all boils down to this, this is what people find 'cool' about it?

I'd much rather be in the thick of it or most preferrably engage in middle range distance, 100metres or so. That's always the most fun engagments for me.

Snipers are what give you fear of standing on buildings or out in the open.

Sounds like people are afraid of them then use the excuse that they provide nothing for gameplay.

While he did not describe it exactly as i would, i would agree that they should and are not going away

• Like 1

Snipers are what give you fear of standing on buildings or out in the open.

Sounds like people are afraid of them then use the excuse that they provide nothing for gameplay.

While he did not describe it exactly as i would, i would agree that they should and are not going away

Not really.

I've had a sniper miss me, standing up in an open field. I went prone, then directed a team-mate over to his position with a shotgun to "politely tell him we were not interested". This was within 600 meters or so, what should be an easy shot.

Are there "good" snipers in Day Z? Of course. But the overwhelming majority of them have little more than severely-over-inflated egos.

• Like 2

Sniping isn't going away. It's a great play style if you play solo, or a support role if you play in a group

AK 101 or 74 with the right attachments is just as effective, if not deadlier than a mosin from sniping ranges if you know how to use it right....and it can be silenced which the mosin currently can't I'm pretty sure. So although snipers will never be fully extinguished, you may see a change in loadout for the traditional sniper until the devs add more lethal snipers.

Edited by hoopman130

Snipers will always be dangerous, and will always be the reason why its not a good Idea to be wide out in the open on a full pop server.

People say hordes will change that, but they won't. Zombies wont be the super Zombies that they are now, running faster than you an automatically finding you wherever you go. All you would have to do is fire a shot and immediately relocate. Its not like you're firing while in the middle of a horde.