Sign in to follow this  
Wookieenoob

instaghillie, SKS and "in hands" items

so over the last few days i've been playing with various characters with SKS and ghillie bushrag.

i've noticed a few things which i think are minor issues at this point.

1) ghillie

1a) burlap sacks

burlap sacks were previously used to cover heads or make a backpack. now the only use for them is really to make ghillie, since they're so uncommon.

following on from that even though they are sometimes very scarce, it's possible to find like 5 in the space of an hour. it seems like you should be able to cut other things into strips too, but okay. 

1b) nets and berezhki.

all you need to do to get a ghillie is go to berezhki and then across the other northern small rural villages for sacks.  berezhki will always give you enough nets for full ghillie. i've been through there 5 times and always found 4 nets. one time i found 10. (enough for 2 ghillies)

1c) whenever i've decided to go get ghillie i've been able to do it reliably within a few hours. i haven't found any heli crashes (i think those are in now right?) and those are where i'd have previously expected to find ghillies in the mod. my point is that since i can craft the ghillie suit at any time it kind of kills the feeling of getting one. 

2) SKS

2a) SKS is really really common. more common than the M4 was originally. going across the north of the map from around the abandoned military base, ending near berezkhi, i found 4 SKS' not including the one i already had. i also found a mosin. (which i will come on to)

i kind of feel like the AK should be more common than the SKS. 

2b) SKS can't fit long range scope? sure this has been talked about because it's semi automatic and all, but it just seems strange. 

3) items you pick up in your hands 

it's i kind of feel like i should be able to carry two weapons. i mean, i know i can have as many pistols as i like, and if i had a hacksaw i could have sawn the mosin off, but i kind of feel like the axe i'm lugging around is a waste of a shoulder. 

as a side-note, i've lost two mosins just to eating while i was carrying them in my hands. would like a fix for this so it goes to the floor, so you can more effectively carry two weapons about. it's just really buggy right now. 

• Like 1

Loot spawn rates and locations are all screwy right now as Bohemia is trying to nail down persistence and loot economy so things will certainly change in the future.

As far as the SKS, one reason there are so many is because nobody is picking them up since ammo only spawns at military locations.  The SKS has never been able to fit the long range scope.  With regards to carrying two weapons and using something in your hands, drop the weapon on the ground first before eating etc.  If your weapon disappears when it hits the ground, retrace your steps as the weapon has most likely dropped earlier in your path.  What you see on your screen is sometimes different from where the server thinks you are.  This also applies to loot you sometimes can't pick up.  Try vaulting to "reset" your character, it usually works.  

As for the SKS, there were more than 15 million of them produced "officially". The AKM had a little over 10 million "officially" produced.

I believe mounting scopes should be realistic, an SKS shouldn't be capable of mounting even a PU scope without being drilled and tapped for it, I think they should incorporate that into the game. Luckily I know they are removing the LRS for the mosin so thats a start. To me it seems like the Blaze is the one gun that would already have a rail for mounting an LRS.

• Like 1

i kind of feel like the AK should be more common than the SKS. 

2b) SKS can't fit long range scope? sure this has been talked about because it's semi automatic and all, but it just seems strange. 

ok so the

15 million SKS rifles made (probably more including Chinese)

100 million rifles made off the Kalashnikov/Saiga build.

But why kind of AK are you talking about is the real question.

SKS can mount PU and thats all it will ever be able to hopefully.

we honestly need a AK47 that all it can take attachment wise is a bayonet, no changing stocks.

Edited by DURRHUNTER

as a side-note, i've lost two mosins just to eating while i was carrying them in my hands. would like a fix for this so it goes to the floor, so you can more effectively carry two weapons about. it's just really buggy right now. 

Pro Tip: Whenever you're carrying something in your hands, always drop it on the floor, not a house floor but the ground outside and to drop it don't click the X, change weapons using your hot key. The weapon you carry should then drop on the floor at your feet and now you can go and eat things and shouldn't lose the weapon (and try to never drop things on anything but ground as the floor sometimes eats it.) ;)

Before the wipe and now I went with the ghillie top, rap and hood. I prefer the top over the full ghillie just becuase it covers most of the body anyways, and takes much less to make. I like hunter pants bottoms or anything else cammo and brown jungle boots to cover the legs. Now there is a over heating issue, what I do is lay in the water and become soaked, as crazy as that sounds to cool down. It works for a while. Also I carry a burlap bag and rope so I can craft a improvised back back to carry extra items. When I want to wear the ghillie top I just take apart the pack and carry the rope and burlap bag with me. The when I want to take it off, I put the improvised back find sticks and put it back together, put the top in the pack and Im good to go. Im going to try stashing this patch too on perist servers. Maybe store a hunters pack with extra food somewheres, picking it up every tuesday. No big lose if I lose it.

I like the ghillie. Not only does it hide you really well, it also forces you to be more of a survivalist and minimalist. I dont have vary much gear at all really just the bare min to surive. At least for me it does. I enjoy it and thrive.....I just dont get hoarding anymore, It dosn't help me to live anylonger at all. All I need is just may 10 or 15 items and food Ill live til they wipe again. 60 to 100 rounds for the mosin, 1st aid kit, compass (It does work your direction is to the right),  stone knife, fire axe, matches, canteens, some repair kits...thats all I need.

The bush rag it seems like you have to give allot (your back pack) just to get alittle extra camo with the hood. Thats just me. Also I a while ago decided I dont like carrying more then one rifle. Its a pain in the butt. I always end up losing one lol Dayz is so god dam corky I really dont like leaving stuff on the ground at all if it is important.

As far as finding everthing to make the top, gun rap and hood. It takes a while at least for me, but I wasnt hoping. This time I found netting faster then all the burlaps. I also made sure I kept 2 cans of green paint on me this time too before I made it.

Edited by CJFlint

burlap sacks were previously used to cover heads or make a backpack. now the only use for them is really to make ghillie, since they're so uncommon.

Huh? Every other loot item I find seems to be a burlap... Are you looking for them in the right places?

• Like 2

Pro Tip: Whenever you're carrying something in your hands, always drop it on the floor, not a house floor but the ground outside and to drop it don't click the X, change weapons using your hot key. The weapon you carry should then drop on the floor at your feet and now you can go and eat things and shouldn't lose the weapon (and try to never drop things on anything but ground as the floor sometimes eats it.) ;)

Weird, for me it's always the hotkey that loses my 2nd long gun.  I always stop and use the inventory box to drop my in-hand item to avoid losing it.

• Like 1

If you lose a gun while double-carrying, don't worry; the weapon takes like 10 or so minutes to spawn on the ground where you "drop" it.

I thought I lost my AKM the other night. After running around for awhile and meeting up with a friend, I went to show him where it disappeared.

Lo and behold, my AKM was sitting on the ground, right where I bandaged an hour earlier.

I've had it happen enough times to know that "lost" guns can be recovered, but I haven't timed the process,

Edited by Sockem123
  • Like 1

i always have loads of SKS ammo. i don't serverhop at all and i always have at least 40 rounds, if not double that.

as a side note - if you have a damaged attachment it doesn't appear like it's inventory model.

IE SKS bayonet. 

and finally, i found a hacksaw so i can carry one of these mosins that are lying around! 

longhorn, SKS, mosin sawn and no backpack ftw.

i ALWAYS find hicap now. it's silly. every time i go to the abandoned base in the north of the map. 

since i posted this i've crafted a full ghillie bushrag suit on public hives and also a ghillie hat (decided to not bother with any more) on a PVP hive. 

so that's a total of about 6 nets and about 8-10 burlap sacks. (lots of running in between and a fresh spawn since i started playing on the PVP hive.)

just dropped an AK-74 i even had ammo for because i didn't want a backpack. had 5 weapons on me. 

Edited by Wookieenoob
  • Like 1

and finally, i found a hacksaw so i can carry one of these mosins that are lying around! 

longhorn, SKS, mosin sawn and no backpack ftw.

Those sawn mosins are fun. Half the time I'm running around with a hacksaw just to collect any shotguns or mosins that are looking a bit too long for my tastes.

Props also for the longhorn, currently my favorite hunting tool.

Those sawn mosins are fun. Half the time I'm running around with a hacksaw just to collect any shotguns or mosins that are looking a bit too long for my tastes.

Props also for the longhorn, currently my favorite hunting tool.

yeah it's nice. it's good since i don't have a scope or binos or a rangefinder on the private hive i have it on. it's probably one of my favourite sidearms.

i've always loved the sawn mosin. fires so fast and smooth. 

one problem is that you can't paint over the sawn parts so they always look wooden, even if you paint it after sawing.

have you used the 1911 recently? with a magazine it's very fun. a breeze compared to the makarov, which i don't actually like at all. 

Edited by Wookieenoob

Before the wipe and now I went with the ghillie top, rap and hood. I prefer the top over the full ghillie just becuase it covers most of the body anyways, and takes much less to make. I like hunter pants bottoms or anything else cammo and brown jungle boots to cover the legs. Now there is a over heating issue, what I do is lay in the water and become soaked, as crazy as that sounds to cool down. It works for a while. Also I carry a burlap bag and rope so I can craft a improvised back back to carry extra items. When I want to wear the ghillie top I just take apart the pack and carry the rope and burlap bag with me. The when I want to take it off, I put the improvised back find sticks and put it back together, put the top in the pack and Im good to go. Im going to try stashing this patch too on perist servers. Maybe store a hunters pack with extra food somewheres, picking it up every tuesday. No big lose if I lose it.

I like the ghillie. Not only does it hide you really well, it also forces you to be more of a survivalist and minimalist. I dont have vary much gear at all really just the bare min to surive. At least for me it does. I enjoy it and thrive.....I just dont get hoarding anymore, It dosn't help me to live anylonger at all. All I need is just may 10 or 15 items and food Ill live til they wipe again. 60 to 100 rounds for the mosin, 1st aid kit, compass (It does work your direction is to the right),  stone knife, fire axe, matches, canteens, some repair kits...thats all I need.

The bush rag it seems like you have to give allot (your back pack) just to get alittle extra camo with the hood. Thats just me. Also I a while ago decided I dont like carrying more then one rifle. Its a pain in the butt. I always end up losing one lol Dayz is so god dam corky I really dont like leaving stuff on the ground at all if it is important.

As far as finding everthing to make the top, gun rap and hood. It takes a while at least for me, but I wasnt hoping. This time I found netting faster then all the burlaps. I also made sure I kept 2 cans of green paint on me this time too before I made it.

I like carrying my bow too much so I just use the wrap and hood. Even that offers amazing concealment, especially at night. Crouch with your gun out so it crosses your body and the hat on and you're 50 - 100M away then you're hard to spot.

Weird, for me it's always the hotkey that loses my 2nd long gun.  I always stop and use the inventory box to drop my in-hand item to avoid losing it.

I haven't quite worked it out since the new patch, I think it changed slightly. In the old patch, if you hit the X it wouldn't drop it even though it looked like it did and would stay with you. If you then took out your axe say, it would then drop it at your feet. In the latest patch, I'm not sure it always does that now and may drop it back where you picked it up.

Just never eat or drink when you have something in your hands lol.

Just make it so one can disassemble every gun and fit it in your backpack.. The two weapon system now is just awful.

I like carrying my bow too much so I just use the wrap and hood. Even that offers amazing concealment, especially at night. Crouch with your gun out so it crosses your body and the hat on and you're 50 - 100M away then you're hard to spot.

Really if your already used to concealment before ghillie suit. The hood and rap is just fine. Really the top really just seals the deal even more for me.

• Like 1

I haven't quite worked it out since the new patch, I think it changed slightly. In the old patch, if you hit the X it wouldn't drop it even though it looked like it did and would stay with you. If you then took out your axe say, it would then drop it at your feet. In the latest patch, I'm not sure it always does that now and may drop it back where you picked it up.

Just never eat or drink when you have something in your hands lol.

Yup, I reminded myself again last night.  Persistence please...

Yup, I reminded myself again last night.  Persistence please...

tfw walking around with long range scope, compensator, bayonet and all the ingredients for full ghillie, but no mosin for 3 hours

so many burlap sacks so fast but crossing half the map to get them all 

not dropping my backpack until i can offload these attachments onto a gun :((

Edited by Wookieenoob

2b) the SKS or Zastava M59/66 is a crudely mass produced semi and not very accurate past 100yds. It loads and ejects (violently) vertically. My profile pic is the first time I shot mine, I got pelted in the head by the shells ricocheting off the the tin roof at the range. You more or less have 3 options for scoping them. As mentioned the PU (and other kits) requires drilling and taping the side of the receiver to mount a rear hanging bracket that holds a short eye relief scope, usually small and low powered. There's a kit to mount a long eye relief (pistol scope) over the gas piston ahead of the bolt/breech also small and low powered. The third is a kit that fits a rail and shell deflector over the bolt that allows any type of scope to be mounted so you can have a clear magnified view of you shots landing wherever they decide and makes loading via stripper clips impossible and single loading tedious and difficult.   

Well I never really aim for a ghillie because I don't really do sniping that well(the bipod is back in game and I'll start using a bipod on the akm w a pso1 scope to snipe) but berizihki always has the netting I need. SKS isn't always my first choise in getting a gun why the ammo doesn't spawn in civilian locals and the SKS spawns in civilian locals a lot and the SKS tends to bring a person unconscious when you shoot at him or her. If any am were to be any more common than the SKS itl probably be the original ak 47 I forgot how much those were made but there's a lot.

Well I never really aim for a ghillie because I don't really do sniping that well(the bipod is back in game and I'll start using a bipod on the akm w a pso1 scope to snipe) but berizihki always has the netting I need. SKS isn't always my first choise in getting a gun why the ammo doesn't spawn in civilian locals and the SKS spawns in civilian locals a lot and the SKS tends to bring a person unconscious when you shoot at him or her. If any am were to be any more common than the SKS itl probably be the original ak 47 I forgot how much those were made but there's a lot.

we need the original AK47 though. have them spawn all over the place, buried and stuff. 

Is it a bug or unfinished/unbalanced loot tables that make the 7.62X39mm rounds almost only spawn in military areas? I noticed the NATO caliber rounds come in brown boxes and the Russian rounds come in printed commercial looking packages. I was actually surprised to see those boxes that looked like Wolf brand fancy non-corrosive primed $15-20 per 20rnd boxes instead of the milsurp you can get for 15-25 cents per round in bulk. The icon for the loose rounds look like surplus green enameled steel case rounds though.  

I've never been to Europe or specifically any former Soviet republics, are the SKSs and their clones readily available as surplus? They go on sale in the $200-300 with a large can of brown box surplus ammo here in Canada if you shop around.  

Around here they're used by rural folks and aboriginals for deer hunting or as a louder, cheaper, "cooler" alternative to a .22 AR clone ($400+) for recreational popping off at beer cans and propane tanks. The DayZ map looks allot like where I live and I am genuinely curious if that part of the world is culturally the same with "rednecks", "hillbillys" or whatever you want to call us.       

Is it a bug or unfinished/unbalanced loot tables that make the 7.62X39mm rounds almost only spawn in military areas? I noticed the NATO caliber rounds come in brown boxes and the Russian rounds come in printed commercial looking packages. I was actually surprised to see those boxes that looked like Wolf brand fancy non-corrosive primed $15-20 per 20rnd boxes instead of the milsurp you can get for 15-25 cents per round in bulk. The icon for the loose rounds look like surplus green enameled steel case rounds though.  

I've never been to Europe or specifically any former Soviet republics, are the SKSs and their clones readily available as surplus? They go on sale in the $200-300 with a large can of brown box surplus ammo here in Canada if you shop around.  

Around here they're used by rural folks and aboriginals for deer hunting or as a louder, cheaper, "cooler" alternative to a .22 AR clone ($400+) for recreational popping off at beer cans and propane tanks. The DayZ map looks allot like where I live and I am genuinely curious if that part of the world is culturally the same with "rednecks", "hillbillys" or whatever you want to call us.       

also the mosin ammo barely ever / never spawns at the military locations. (isn't this AK47 ammo?)

also the mosin ammo barely ever / never spawns at the military locations. (isn't this AK47 ammo?)

AK47, AKM, and SKS all use the same 7.62x39mm. Mosin Nagant is 7.62x54R (7.62x51 in game)