SMoss

Status Report - 17 Feb 15

*snip*

Manual transmission is done in style of sequential changing of gears, this means that you can go from lets say 1st gear to 3rd gear only directly through the 2nd gear, there is no way to skip the 2nd gear altogether.

*snip*

All of the cars I've owned were manual transmission, by choice.

In my experience, you can skip gears with some types of gear boxes.

I knew a guy who abused his poor Jeep Cherokee (see also couldn't drive) and would often start it in 2nd gear and drop the clutch and skip gears often.

It was amazing how the car held up...

That being said, you should probably be able to wind out 1st and bog into 3rd on a level or downhill road, stalling with any uphill resistance.

Trying to skip gears though, in most low speed conditions, should probably stall a large diesel engine and should be something someone could do accidentally if they weren't paying attention or were careless about spamming keys.

I guess my point is, it would be authentic to have a mechanic for stalling if the shifting process is botched somehow.

Regarding blood bags, they are a logistical nightmare to use, inconvenient and offer little reward. 

They will act like blood bags back in mod. They will be rare? Blood groups? Game is supose to be hard. its survival game.

In my experience, you can skip gears with some types of gear boxes..

You can do that with every standard manual transmission where you have free choice of the gears, no matter if that's healthy for the car in that situation or not. A sequential gearbox however has no free choice of gears. You pull the stick back to shift up one gear, you push the stick forward to go one gear down. 

• Like 1

"Item distribution per buildings"?

What does this mean?

"Item distribution per buildings"?

What does this mean?

As of today, every building has it's own set of items that can spawn there. You know piano buildings have a weapon spawn, you know that the food house spawns much food, and those possible spawns are always the same. A piano house has the same spawns no matter if it´s close to the NWAF or somewhere in Cernaya Polana. The items possibly spawning are tied to the type of building.

What they want to achieve is to make this system Area-based, means also random buildings spawn i.e. military clothing when they are close to a military base, or fishing equipment spawns more along the coast compared to inland.

• Like 1

Super excited for this, will add value to hospitals again.

On that note something should also be done with broken limbs, there is no point in finding morphine when you can easily make a splint. Both unrealistically instantly fix a broken leg :P

Regarding an instant fix to broken legs, it would seem to me that, with this new development, "The animation side of this will be using Enfusion's new animation system and will allow us to have more animation layers on character, so it will be possible to play more animations at once. With this, we can achieve moving during shooting from the bow or adding injured animations." this should open the door to an intermediate limping stage, in between a broken leg and returning to full health.

A similar scenario should be devised for a broken arm. Perhaps after the splint is applied to a broken arm, the character can only use one arm for a period of time. This would preclude the use of any long arm, or any two-handed melee weapon.

As of today, every building has it's own set of items that can spawn there. You know piano buildings have a weapon spawn, you know that the food house spawns much food, and those possible spawns are always the same. A piano house has the same spawns no matter if it´s close to the NWAF or somewhere in Cernaya Polana. The items possibly spawning are tied to the type of building.

What they want to achieve is to make this system Area-based, means also random buildings spawn i.e. military clothing when they are close to a military base, or fishing equipment spawns more along the coast compared to inland.

Alrighty, that's good. I just wanted to know what they meant by the phrase, since it seemed interpretable in multiple ways. 

More of us drive manuals than you'd believe, and more of your own drive automatics than you probably realize ;)

A lot of Germans do. Audi / Mercedes / BMW - the standard of any German high-value car is Automatic.

I quite often skip 2nd gear especially in rental cars.

More effective to skip 3rd, going from 2nd to 4th, as that way you will be able to get the most torques anyway.

But all of this is awfully offtopic. The biggest thing that this introduces is the possibility to downshift going uphill, giving you the power you'd need to actually do it.

Very exciting indeed.

• Like 2

More effective to skip 3rd, going from 2nd to 4th, as that way you will be able to get the most torques anyway.

But all of this is awfully offtopic. The biggest thing that this introduces is the possibility to downshift going uphill, giving you the power you'd need to actually do it.

Very exciting indeed.

I enjoy thrashing car rentals though and the way they scream in first is pleasure to my ears.

Had to rent a car in Germany during the Ash Cloud Crisis in 2010 and i got to play on an Autobahn between Munich and Frankfurt....it was fun.

But yes, manual vehicles in game is gonna be great.

Edited by DemonGroover
  • Like 1

Sooo many cool things to look forward to. Day Z is most definately going in the right direction. Great job development team! 

Regarding polishing fireplace mechanics, I have some thoughts on this:

I would like there to be many different ways to create a fire depending on which items you have at hand and the state they are in and the state of the environment around you. Some firemaking items could include: Flares, Gunpowder from ammunition ( dry - Wet - condition makes a difference), Battery & Gasoline, Friction with a stick, Smashing the right rocks together to make a spark, etc. Some would be easier to do and some would be harder. It would depend on things like humidity, windage, the condition of the item and the chance of a successful fire could vary to balance it. 

Just some thoughts ;) Keep up the good work!

I quite often skip 2nd gear especially in rental cars.

That's the gear I keep the gas to the floor, change to, and then dump the clutch on, especially in a rental.  Edit:  wait, no, that's all of them.  back on topic:)

Edited by SausageKingofChicago
  • Like 1

On that VS3, you can fit at least 3 dudes on both sides, probably 4 + a few people sitting on the truck bed.

There really isn't any guess-work involved here. The picture that begins the status report shows 4 people sitting on each side (with room to spare).

If it's only 8 they should increase that. 8 is a bit skimpy. In ArmA 2 and the mod, it would carry 12 people in the bed.

Angw1CK.png

Even in OFP it was 10 people in the covered V3S.

L1eunPu.jpg

Maybe this is to do with the "shooting from vehicle" part.

• Like 1

There really isn't any guess-work involved here. The picture that begins the status report shows 4 people sitting on each side (with room to spare).

right, what i meant to write was 3-4 more, 7-8 total per side 

• Like 1

They will act like blood bags back in mod. They will be rare? Blood groups? Game is supose to be hard. its survival game.

And people don't use them, then why have them? I'm not sure if healing from food reduced and blood from bags increased will change things.

And people don't use them, then why have them? I'm not sure if healing from food reduced and blood from bags increased will change things.

It will. If it will take you hours to fully regenerate from food, and few minutes to regenerate from blood bag....you will do it.

When this is in game (and if you play with friends), your friend should take blood from you (and you from him) and when you/he gets injured you just apply ready blood bag on each other. No need for blood test.

Now, I allways carry saline bag, if my friends get injured. Its like instant medkit from other games.

Natural blood regeneration will definitely need a message or status because of the long time needed to completely regenerate the blood - something similar to "healing", like "regenerating blood"

It will. If it will take you hours to fully regenerate from food, and few minutes to regenerate from blood bag....you will do it.

When this is in game (and if you play with friends), your friend should take blood from you (and you from him) and when you/he gets injured you just apply ready blood bag on each other. No need for blood test.

Now, I allways carry saline bag, if my friends get injured. Its like instant medkit from other games.

I won't take hours. I doubt the Devs are that crazy.

Good luck finding a blood bag, 2 IV starter kits and have the filled blood bag + kit survive a fight.

+ if a blood bag heals a large amount then it will have to also take away a large amount of blood. Have fun being half dead and playing in black and white.

Another thing that is BS is that you can't self blood bag. How hard is it to insert a needle and hold the bag up? Or insert a needle and let the bag fill up? Its an artificial limitation to force people to work together.

• Like 1

i hope u dont forget to implent give self bloodbag before u change the blood regain for all lone wolfs

Fine line between enjoyably hard and frustratingly tedious though

I won't take hours. I doubt the Devs are that crazy.

Good luck finding a blood bag, 2 IV starter kits and have the filled blood bag + kit survive a fight.

They dont spawn in every house, but they are not that rare, you have blood bag in every medkit. And in clinics, and in red pubs, and in schools... Dayz is not COD, it is supose to be hard. Its supose to give you misery and lot of hours to find what you want. And then all over again. I dont know if you played vanilla mod before, but if you did you should know how hard was to find medical suplies. Right now, there is no need male effort to survive, with food everywhere.

After all, what if you are sick or low on blood? What if you die often? It will only make you play with more caution next time. 

I like where game is going. With more and more survival aspect.

Hell, when I want PvP I play Arma 3 Epoch or Breakingpoint, where firefights are way better. In dayz I avoid other players at all cost.

Fine line between enjoyably hard and frustratingly tedious though

Dont rush in firefights in Elektro and you will be fine. 

I'm only 16, just got my license, and I refuse to drive a car that's not a manual. When driving a manual I get a better feeling of control of the car.

I wouldn't have it any other way.