Sign in to follow this  
GregzTheGreat

The reason behind KoS: ?

The reason behind KoS? Poll.  

163 members have voted

1. 1. What is your justification behind Killing on sight?

• Fear of death.
    • Acquisition of loot.
    • "For fun."
    • I don't kill on sight.

It depends for me. I have never KoSed atall. I always talk to the person. But if I do not run away from them, I kill them because I am afraid they will try to kill me. Or they have something that I want. My second reason, however, varies. If they are a truly nice player that went through blood and tears to get an item they have, I wont try to get it. But if it is the classic emotionless, "I will kill you without warning" type player. I'll pop a cap in their skull when they are talking.

Good grief. Like you need to bring up Iraq in this argument. Save it for the street corner.

Because its easy.

Because I don't feel like getting shot.

Because I want what you have.

Because I have nothing better to do.

Because, because, because, because, becaaaaause...all of the wonderful things we does!

Good man.

KoS is here to stay. To each their own, learn to survive without begging for a "crutch" from the devs. They have more important things to worry about at the moment.

FOG!!

Edited by Vex_Vehix
  • Like 2

Good grief. Like you need to bring up Iraq in this argument. Save it for the street corner.

He brought up Afghanistan douchbag.  Way to pay attention before opening your gob.

Edited by Barnabus
  • Like 1

While I don't personally KoS and go out of my way to kill bandits, etc, I don't think there's anything wrong with KoSing.

It definitely adds to the game and, frankly, it's peoples choice what they do in a game. If you're getting killed on sight regularly, you need to improve how you're playing the game. Don't give that guy an opportunity to pull his gun and shoot you after you had the drop on him. You don't have to kill him. Just be ready. Don't let that girl sneak up on you in the police station. You should have heard her. All you had to do was turn around and point your gun at the door and warn her not to come in.

My only possible complaint about it (and not in a way that I want it to change, I just wish it wasn't the case) is that the vast, vast majority of people in this game will try to kill you the second they get the chance. Just kinda disheartening sometimes, idk.

• Like 1

He did it so I did it. Gee. You owned me. Darnit.

Though to your credit I should have also rolled my eyes at the Ghan reference. Fricken tired of the unsubstantiated background stories.

Edited by ENO75

Because, because, because, because, becaaaaause...all of the wonderful things we does!

Good man.

KoS is here to stay. To each their own, learn to survive without begging for a "crutch" from the devs. They have more important things to worry about at the moment.

FOG!!

Without KOS what would Dayz be? A lot of people dun understand this is a new genre of games and still expect Dayz to follow the path of older games.

• Like 2

Awesome. Finally a visionary who isn't on the development team who can show us the way to their intentions! Lead on my liege.

Most of the time you either run or fight, and peace is either a delicate art of preemption or random luck.

Dayz is defined by the eternal feeling of insecurity, dun throw that away. 

• Like 1

is it just me or is "I don't KoS" the new "I'm not a racist!" around here lol xD

I don't KoS, but if I see you in game I'll probably shoot you

• Like 1

Most of the time you either run or fight, and peace is either a delicate art of preemption or random luck.

Dayz is defined by the eternal feeling of insecurity, dun throw that away. 

Why would balancing the game change that?

Balancing doesn't mean remove the risk, it means levelling the playing field so that all play styles have equal costs and benefits. If this isn't done DayZ will be a boring KoS fest as it is at the moment.

The most insecure I have felt in DayZ is when talking to people and wondering if I can trust them, not through the threat of maybe being shot before I know what has happened.

• Like 1

I don't KoS, but if I see you in game I'll probably shoot you

Was it something I said? lol xD

Why would balancing the game change that?

Balancing doesn't mean remove the risk, it means levelling the playing field so that all play styles have equal costs and benefits. If this isn't done DayZ will be a boring KoS fest as it is at the moment.

The most insecure I have felt in DayZ is when talking to people and wondering if I can trust them, not through the threat of maybe being shot before I know what has happened.

I don't find anything boring about running into players and engaging in firefights because they are afraid I'll skin their corpses.

what IS boring to me is running around for 2 hours, looting buildings, whacking the occasional zombie, and seeing no one.

THAT is boring.

Seriously, the game will balance itself out when it's done and the loot tables are finished, there are vehicles, more things to do, etc.

If you're (a general "you're") whining about KoSing in this game you don't have much faith in what DayZ is going to be and should probably find another game lol

Edited by DeatHTaX
  • Like 3

You realise this is a game right?.... right? I rape hookers, run them over in my car and then steal their money in GTA, doesn't mean I would ever do that in real life. If you can't distinguish between real life and a game it is time to step away from the keyboard dude.

Nex, I do and I said as much in a later post. And i'll come off my high horse of I have been to war and it isn't pretty stance. You are right this is just a game. But I do think it is more than just a game... The open world lets us be the person we would wants be or could be in this scenario.

I guess an odd but apropo analogy could be a table top role playing game like dungeons and dragons .... Are you the type of party that takes on the perilous quest to save the kingdom and defeat evil... Or are you the party that decides your going to rape, pilage, and murder innocents? There is no honor or greatess in the latter. It leads to player boredom and despair.

I do think violence, robbery, and killing is an element in this game and it is what makes it dramatic and scary to meet others. But KoS doesn't add much and has no regulating game elements. Even in the wildest of west days in Texas, Arziona, and New Mexico bad actors existed but we're hunted down by the sparse settlers when they could band together. Reward were put on their heads turning often other bad actors into temporary heroes by brining in the bad guy or taking him out. I wish we could do that here but we can't. The closes thing I hadve seen to some sort of community action is the Reddit Rescue Force... What a cool idea.

Hey and I have only died twice to KoS... No crying, starting over is actually fun... It is when my heart start beating, because now the clock is ticking!

Edited by Gunric

He did it so I did it. Gee. You owned me. Darnit.

Though to your credit I should have also rolled my eyes at the Ghan reference. Fricken tired of the unsubstantiated background stories.

Eno,

My apologies for brining up my time in combat. Your right it doesn't have a place in a game forum... I was trying to explain to people who haven't seen real deaths no destruction, who haven't been shot at or shot back, that it isn't pretty. I don't know how I would substantiate my 12 years in the Army to a game forum, post by DD214? but you are right it doesn't matter.

Best of luck. See you on the high ground!

I take most of that back since I was being a dick. I can't undo the fact I said it- but while I respect experience I've never been a fan of people throwing it out there like it adds value to their stance on a debate about killing on sight. I could say I'm a SEAL and then Don Shipley would be giving me a call... which I guess wouldn't be so bad since he's pretty awesome!

Anyway- sorry for being like that... to both of you (assuming you're actually not stolen valour candidates.)

Edited by ENO75

Nex, I do and I said as much in a later post. And i'll come off my high horse of I have been to war and it isn't pretty stance. 

I don't like to take this stance but maybe it is time for me to jump on my high horse! I don't think you have played the game long enough to comprehend what does and doesn't add to the game. Banditry is exactly what makes this game weather you like it or not. Without it, the game becomes a dull boring place real quick, I know as I tried it the Mod. In the DayZ mod, there are many servers around the world that are roleplay only, no KoS. They have their "niche" and the small amount of people that play them, enjoy them greatly but to think or wish that the "core" game is going to be like that, I am afraid you will be sorely disappointed. SA will have the same "niche" servers so there is no need to even worry about KoS but the large majority of people just want to shoot people.

You are right this is just a game. But I do think it is more than just a game... 

Well which one is it son? It is just a game or it is more than just a game. 

The open world lets us be the person we would wants be or could be in this scenario.

So why are you demeaning or trying to take away from my play style? If I want to play like a homicidal manic, why should I be punished cause it doesn't agree with your play style? Why do I have to play it your way? I don't like RP, in fact it bores the shit of me. But saying that I should be punished for killing is the equivalent of a 10 year old demanding the rules of the game or he is picking up his ball and going home, ESPECIALLY when the vast majority of players want and do play the bandit.  

I guess an odd but apropo analogy could be a table top role playing game like dungeons and dragons .... Are you the type of party that takes on the perilous quest to save the kingdom and defeat evil... Or are you the party that decides your going to rape, pilage, and murder innocents? There is no honor or greatess in the latter. It leads to player boredom and despair.

That is neither here nor there, it is irrelevant..... Honour, greatness? You are losing me here bud but once again... This is a game! WIth over 2000hrs in the mod, 600 in SA and neither bored nor in despair. Your constant assumptions are leading you astray. 

But KoS doesn't add much 

I think the vast majority of the community would disagree with you bud.

Even in the wildest of west days in Texas, Arziona, and New Mexico bad actors existed but we're hunted down by the sparse settlers when they could band together. Reward were put on their heads turning often other bad actors into temporary heroes by brining in the bad guy or taking him out. I wish we could do that here but we can't. The closes thing I hadve seen to some sort of community action is the Reddit Rescue Force... What a cool idea.

Mate I would absolutely love if there was some sort of reputation where bounty hunters, heroes, and other clans would actively seek us out because of our dastardly deeds. I WOULD LOVE IT! Maybe this.... http://forums.dayzgame.com/index.php?/topic/202570-squad-xml-for-dayz/page-2#entry2165459 combined with some sort of bounty board (A notice board in the big towns that has a list of people who have been killed) But instead of saying who the person was killed by it just has the squad xml.

I am one of those stupids that never kill another player. Yet...

But my opinia is that without the POTENTIAL kos this game will not be the same. Kos has it's own role to play im dayz atmosphere. But please do tot kill me, it' just my opinia.

I notice an importan aspect that will lead to not playing this game properly:

Looting - is treated with too less caution, many players are looting in rush without being aware of surrounding dangers. Rush for gear. In the past, the reason behin this maybe was the low loot or uneven distribution of loot. You had to enter so many buildings and find nothing. So you start to be bored and rush next village and so on.

Now, that loot is distributed much better, things start to be normal: enter some medium village and you already find usefull stuff. So don't hurry anymore and watch every step you make. Check every tent before entering, stop from time to time in a bush and check surroundings. Only a snake hidden under some stone can kill you :) It is a small probability that some sniper will kill you from one shot when you are aware of surroundings.

This is my opinion: death is coming from short range in most cases and you could have seen the killer if you were more carefull.

EDIT: if devs later decide to make loot rare, I think this is the most harmfull decision for DayZ because loot should not be an obsession - you start to be bored while searching for loot. I agree not finding canned food so often, but finding some knife will make you look toward some deer. You always have to find something.

Edited by lucianpin
  • Like 1

Lets face it, a game full of saints just wouldn't be that much fun. I like the freedom to decide, okay I'm going to kill this guy I just made friends with because he has a super sweet backpack and he's stuck mid animation at a water fountain. I get Killed on sight a lot, yeah it sucks sometimes but I respect the play style because it's enjoyable when you're in the mood to be "that guy". As for the reason why, I'd boil it down to :

1.) The rareness of interaction contrasted with the long-winded looting process

2.) Lack of rewarding options to interact (unless you enjoy being a friendly guy)

3.) Killing is just the most rewarding thing in the game.

Untill we get to band together with 40 other survivors to take down a boss, or can build castles like minecraft, KOS is our end game and it's a blast.

I find this topic really sort of stale at this point. We still wondering? Really?

When I 1st started playing this game last feb, I spent my 1st week trying to make contact with people and for the most part being shot. Then I joined a hero group, and tried to help other players which resulted in nothing more then rarely helping someone, being shot in the back and you know the rest. The reason is there is no accountability, players are either geared and don't feel like taking there chances or its just instant grad pvpers just looking for a quick kick. ITS PART OF THE GAME. Its been this way since I started playing it a year ago, and is still the vary same now.  Adapt to it, don't fight the grain of this game. You can play on low pops if you don't feel like dealing with ass hats. Or if you really cant stand it, this isn't the game for you. 

But really questioning it and being all pist about it and complaining about it, is a up hill battle which will lead to nothing regarding this game. ADAPT

Just killed a guy in Elektro.  Heard zombies, saw him killing one with his axe, and he ended up running around a corner.  I had a blaze rifle with 2 rounds, so no room for error.  I moved around so as to keep sight of him, saw him come out of the weird printing press building.  He stopped when he saw me, I shot him in the lower body, then again as he was falling down.  

It was kind of awesome, not gunna lie.  He had a loaded repeater on his back and he was in Elektro so I have to think he would've done the same.

I remember many people had a problem with the griefing in Mod, too. Isn't this why the "bandits vs heroes" feature was added? PvP is fun, it is a part of the game, and it shouldn't go anywhere. PvP should be the result of a conscious decision to hunt/kill other players and not the default method of social interaction because of boredom.

So what can be done? Give players something to do. Make them feel that their time in-game wasn't spent just wasted running around, picking up loot, and then dying.

More infected and aggressive wildlife: bears and packs of wolves will give players a way to use their bullets that don't include other players. Infected drop items: I assume this will come since you can already view a zombies inventory. Certain items should primarily/only show up on infected (e.g. bullets, tac. vests, etc.) This will give players a grind. Safehouses: Give users another grind to protect their items. This will also give certain resources (e.g. nails) value so, perhaps, trading will start to occur.

Luckily these features are already on the roadmap and could cure this player boredom. We will just have to wait around a while for them to get added.

I usually don't do it. I still picked afraid of death, because there are circumstances that make me do it once in a while.

I'll definetly shoot if I see someone on an airfield or military camp (and only there!) with a rifle and I also don't have a way to escape or if my buddy is in cornored like this. Other than that I usually avoid it and just retreat. No point to risk my char over the loot of a single military camp. And I also don't get much satisfaction out of ruining someone elses day... it's a good feeling though to stomp someone who clearly tried to ambush your buddy, I'm usually pretty mercyless in those cases

Just killed a guy in Elektro.  Heard zombies, saw him killing one with his axe, and he ended up running around a corner.  I had a blaze rifle with 2 rounds, so no room for error.  I moved around so as to keep sight of him, saw him come out of the weird printing press building.  He stopped when he saw me, I shot him in the lower body, then again as he was falling down.  

It was kind of awesome, not gunna lie.  He had a loaded repeater on his back and he was in Elektro so I have to think he would've done the same.

I am honestly thinking that it would be more fair from you NOT to justify what you did.

You don't need to bring up a "reason" for why you KoS... Because your said reason is rather low in my opinia (and i have been KoS'd so many times that i can't count anymore)

Some reasons why your judgement (if it was real) failed:

He could be (in Electro):

- searching for an item for his injured friend

- searching for watter/food( i have been in this situation before, when you have to find it you have to, no matter the Electro or whatever) since you are on dark red...

- just enjoining a big city where you can actually interact with people (high populated area that is) as i did it many times. being in a big city does not mean 100% looking for trouble. Can you tell me that 100% he would have killed you? FFS, he might actually became your friend if he would have had a REAL chance, but he did'nt.

TL&DR: Do not justify your KoS, you have no real reason to do so. Just play as you want it but at least do not try to ease your conscience here.

It is useless.