Sign in to follow this  
GregzTheGreat

The reason behind KoS: ?

The reason behind KoS? Poll.  

163 members have voted

1. 1. What is your justification behind Killing on sight?

• Fear of death.
    • Acquisition of loot.
    • "For fun."
    • I don't kill on sight.

Because when everyone is shooting everyone on the public hive it does not feel like a survival environment. 

Isn't that the most basic form of survival?

Avoiding death? And avoiding death from other players? I personally think that the game when it's finished will be plenty satisfying to everyone when it comes to survival, except of course for the people who get butthurt about KoSing and pvp. It's something they will never come to terms with in the game and will go off into their own little cordoned off worlds of rubbing sticks together and making fires when they step in a puddle, which is freaking mind-blowing to me that people find that fun but hey, whatever.

Seriously, let's look at some of the current elements of survival.

Avoiding hypothermia

Avoiding Hunger

Avoiding thirst

Avoiding player related deaths

Avoiding zombie death

Avoiding in-climate weather

and the game isn't even done yet. Yeah some of those are easier than others, but seriously? What on earth do people want? 

"I want to get home from a long day at work and play this game that kills me if I step on a rusty nail! THAT'S fun."

Idk. This all boils down to the fact I think everyone else is stupid and I'm right about everything I guess lol. 

Sarcasm aside, the game will be fine. I think the KoSing will naturally die down, which either way I don't care. The gunfights are the best part and I don't mind treating every player as hostile. It's just a way to play. 

Besides, at least it's not H1Z1

• Like 1

and the game isn't even done yet. Yeah some of those are easier than others, but seriously? What on earth do people want? 

Well, you know what people want, right? They want to pretend like they are the cast of the Walking Dead. The good and the bad.

The current KoS situation takes away the whole drama of player encounters for the person on the losing side of things. It offers a sense of satisfaction to the player that is doing the killing but even that is fleeting. This is, essentially, turning DayZ into a game of loot until you see a "You are dead" screen then trying again.

I think the vast majority of players agree that social interaction is what makes DayZ fun. Whether that interaction is positive or negative. I dunno, running through the woods avoiding all other players because they will kill you or you will kill them is not that fun, to me...

Every time a thread like this is posted it just reinforces my play style.

I remember my first weeks playing the mod. I spawned on the coast for the first time, eager eyed and excited about my new adventure. Having no idea where I was or what I was doing; ignorance was truly blissful. I skipped down the coast towards some houses I could see to the east. Into the first house I went, "WHOA, sweet! Some food here and a pistol, damn I am goo..." YOU ARE DEAD!  

Oh shit what the hell was that? Rinse and repeat, time and time again.  Sometimes I would see the asshole and sometimes I would not. But I got better, I used the anguish to hone my skills, adapt to this predatory new land and it was truly the most amazing journey. The hunted has become the hunter and no amount of horticulture, camping, base building will ever quench my thirst for your blood. 

I never stated if anything was wrong with KoS, but I was veering toward the "type" of KoS that happens for seemingly no reason. But you appear to be a vital gear within the mechanics that drives DayZ, you make the game more tense and fun. Good job ^^

So basically what I am reading from people is that without fear of being arrested, jailed, and possible executed by the gov't/law/peers, you would be a homicidal maniac. Because that is what you are doing... Sure it is the apocalypse and basic human needs need to be met, but you've decided that the best way to get a drink, some food, or a hoodie is to kill anyone and everyone you meet. Think about that.

If there were some way to form a posey and maybe go after a violent or homicial maniac, that would be cool... But there really isn't. Weak Persistence and resets make in near impossible. Further small player counts on servers with such a huge AO, means there is really no one around.

I have only been playing for a short time and I dont KOS. I am not good at RP, but I have come across some amazing players who gave me, and hopefully I gave back, a great experience. The one thing KOS does do for the game is make every meeting very cautious and I like that, but there simply isn't enough consequences to KOS. The human psyche is very delicate... Their are very very few truly evil people in the world who have been able to live with the evil deeds they have committed. Think about that.

And before you flame me for being a pans... like another on this thread, I served in Afghanistan in 2003. I have seen bad stuff.

I would have no reason to flag you. Everything you said is right.

I don't really KOS often, but I think the reasoning is simple.

It negates having to trust strangers, it can give you loads of loot thus saving you in-game hours, plus it has no negative consequences.

It makes logical sense when you look at it like that, as all the other things you could do upon seeing a player have potential negative outcomes. Its down to the devs to balance that, people often blame the players for being arseholes and whatnot, but really what they do makes logical sense. People need to request that the devs balance the game a bit more, not moan at people for seizing the initiative.

A very insightful outlook.

Besides, at least it's not H1Z1

100x this. H1Z1 seems to have attempted beating DayZ to the punch, but failed horrifically with it's P2W, cartoonish animations and visuals, a similar amount of, if not more, bugs than DayZ itself and smaller amounts of equipment and custumisation. Apparently "more cars" and "coloured nights" are supposed to compensate for this?

H1Z1 is currently experiencing its "5 minutes of fame" phase. It'll die down soon once people come out of the arcade and back into the real world.

• Like 1

So basically what I am reading from people is that without fear of being arrested, jailed, and possible executed by the gov't/law/peers, you would be a homicidal maniac. Because that is what you are doing... Sure it is the apocalypse and basic human needs need to be met, but you've decided that the best way to get a drink, some food, or a hoodie is to kill anyone and everyone you meet. Think about that.

If there were some way to form a posey and maybe go after a violent or homicial maniac, that would be cool... But there really isn't. Weak Persistence and resets make in near impossible. Further small player counts on servers with such a huge AO, means there is really no one around.

I have only been playing for a short time and I dont KOS. I am not good at RP, but I have come across some amazing players who gave me, and hopefully I gave back, a great experience. The one thing KOS does do for the game is make every meeting very cautious and I like that, but there simply isn't enough consequences to KOS. The human psyche is very delicate... Their are very very few truly evil people in the world who have been able to live with the evil deeds they have committed. Think about that.

And before you flame me for being a pans... like another on this thread, I served in Afghanistan in 2003. I have seen bad stuff.

You realise this is a game right?.... right? I rape hookers, run them over in my car and then steal their money in GTA, doesn't mean I would ever do that in real life. If you can't distinguish between real life and a game it is time to step away from the keyboard dude.

I never stated if anything was wrong with KoS, but I was veering toward the "type" of KoS that happens for seemingly no reason. But you appear to be a vital gear within the mechanics that drives DayZ, you make the game more tense and fun. Good job ^^

I am glad to hear you recognise that, cause whatever hatred you have against that play style it is what makes DayZ the game it is.

There is one common denominator with all people who complain about KoS... they are getting killed often but more importantly and which usually goes ignored, they are getting killed unexpectedly. They don't change their habits or technique but blame the community for their own failings. 

Well I don't know about the community as a whole, but KOS is the only thing to do right now. The gear is good, player interaction is good, but desync is F@cked up (player side/server side). Trying to shoot down a player while experiencing desync is hard, so interacting and then engaging in a fire fight is almost impossible. It seems to me that shooting first, before letting them know they are in danger, is the easy thing to do. 

That being said, I never Kill on Sight there is NO fun in it. However getting in to a battle with hostiles is enjoyable, no other GAME out there gets my blood pumping like that. Part of it has to do with Player Interaction. I don't need to talk first, but a hostile player can be spotted before they are an issue. Now just shooting anything moving from a sniper spot or stair/door camping seems BORING and not fun.

Edited by call him Steve

Why does it need a balance? Please explain. I think the game is fine the way it is, minus the not being finished and the hackers. Griefers can be griefers, RPers can RP, etc etc.

I think it does need a balance. By balance I don't mean removing from the game, I mean making it so that it is as challenging as any other play style.

Otherwise it totally weighs the game down to being KoS heavy. Because killing on sight is the easiest way to play; it negates risk, has rewards and no negatives, it is only logical that most players will play like that, thus making every other play style that more difficult. 

All it needs is a few mechanics to either make KoS more risky or other play styles more rewarding. Nothing is penalized or removed, just balanced a bit.

I think it does need a balance. By balance I don't mean removing from the game, I mean making it so that it is as challenging as any other play style.

Otherwise it totally weighs the game down to being KoS heavy. Because killing on sight is the easiest way to play; it negates risk, has rewards and no negatives, it is only logical that most players will play like that, thus making every other play style that more difficult. 

All it needs is a few mechanics to either make KoS more risky or other play styles more rewarding. Nothing is penalized or removed, just balanced a bit.

Those mechanics are in the works, from improved zombie AI and hordes to a more realistic loot dispersion. Right now there's no real penalties for mowing down people with your drum-fed AK, but eventually your actions will have far reaching consequences. Personally, I would pick my moments for pulling the trigger, lest I carelessly attract a horde of zombies by firing the few rounds I have.

You realise this is a game right?.... right? I rape hookers, run them over in my car and then steal their money in GTA, doesn't mean I would ever do that in real life. If you can't distinguish between real life and a game it is time to step away from the keyboard dude.

I am glad to hear you recognise that, cause whatever hatred you have against that play style it is what makes DayZ the game it is.

There is one common denominator with all people who complain about KoS... they are getting killed often but more importantly and which usually goes ignored, they are getting killed unexpectedly. They don't change their habits or technique but blame the community for their own failings. 

Yeah, I agree with you. I just wanted to understand the motives behind it, not "Why do you do it I'm fed up dying *crying irl*"

I think all play-styles provide a unique aspect to the game and keep people constantly uncertain of how to approach different encounters. That's what makes the game so special, despite its early stages. At least that's how I feel.

My general policy is that if me and my friend (we always play together) see someone we don't KOS unless they open fire. For example yesterday we were in Electra when we saw a player in a field kill a zombie and go to one of the fire stations (we had both been killed recently so we had pump shotguns and fire axes no rifles or anything). We cautiously moved in staying in cover when we heard gunshots from the station as several fully geared players fraught one another. We kept our distance skirting around the and I ran into a player who I'm calling mr or game since he had an orange raincoat and boonie cap. I saw him first and could see he had a backpack but no gun and had a fire extinguisher for a melee weapon. I moved to the open so he could see me and waved. He did the same and I knew I could trust him. My friend joined us and together we stalked the geared players who were now moving across the town. I gave him ammo for his revolver and he left after awhile. Not sure what happened to him.

What I'm trying to say is if you have a strong chance of not being killed say hi if your at risk then stay away. Geared players don't want to die do they KOS same with bambies who have nothing to loose. It's the lightly geared players who you can trust if your in the same situation

Human nature

Bollocks.

Killing people on sight isn't human nature, its the behaviour of a psychopath or an extremely unstable individual. If you think you could survive alone, killing everyone you see without being crippled by loneliness, insanity and guilt, then you probably have been playing too many video games.

This whole "killing on sight is what people would actually do cause DayZ is a super intellectual social experiment" is bullshit. People kill on sight in DayZ because it is the easiest play style and because its a video game.

• Like 6

After three and a half years of playing DayZ, I still do not, have never, and will never kill on sight.

Good man, im with you on that.

Are you expecting an equalizer in a zombie apocalypse? Like a superhero punishing bandits as in movies or points change as in other games?

KOS is a means to survive, I hate to say this but if you can't adapt to the law of jungle then F11 would be the only in-game relief.

What's the benefit?
The benefit is eliminating a potential threat and rival for good loot as well as getting some additional items. As it is currently very easy to survive on your own and there are few identification features this outweights the potential benefit for cooperating with a stranger.

KoS directly relates to the game dynamics. For example:
  • death has comparatively low impact - you basically just lose your gear and reappear at the coast mere 30 seconds later
  • it is easy to gear up especially when (ab)using "teleport features" like fast server switch times and low death impact
  • it is easy to survive in the environment and NPCs do not pose much of a threat - fighting players is the only real challenge

Basically KoS gives you quite good payoffs at moderate or even low risk (depending on the area).

This poll is useless without "boredom." There's really not a lot to do in game at this point. People resort to death and torture to spice up this running/looting sim.

I don't KOS but I would have nothing to do in game once geared up if there were no KOS to hunt down and punish.

is it just me or is "I don't KoS" the new "I'm not a racist!" around here lol xD

• Like 2

Because its easy.

Because I don't feel like getting shot.

Because I want what you have.

Because I have nothing better to do.

• Like 1

Ok, lets flick this round...

99% of the time, I don't KoS someone whose isn't carrying a weapon (the 1% is usually fresho's on the coast thinking they can instakill me) and I know a lot of my friends are the same. So to all those that want to play the friendly game, are you "carrying"? I have lost count the amount of times I have had players scream over direct chat, "Oh ffs dickhead, why did you need to KoS" or "Im friendly dickhead, well done".

So why the hell did I just kill you in a military barracks picking up an M4 at NWAF? Yes I know you will say to defend yourself but I say BS. If your not armed, you are not as bigger threat and I would definitely not shoot you on sight. You say you want to play differently to everybody else... yet you play LIKE everybody else eg Looting high profile areas like VMC or NWAF. If was running through the forest and came across some dude camping and growing vegetables unarmed, I most certainly would not kill him.

My point is, stop doing the same thing and expecting a different outcome, it is the definition of insanity. Mix it up, think outside the box, lose the weapon.

If you are around the high profile areas, I will shoot you on sight, I will not feel remorse, I will not care how much you cry friendly or call me a dickhead. In fact if you do any of those things it only makes it sweeter. 

• Like 1

Because there are no consequences.

That's what it all stems from.  Other than someone screaming at you after they've been killed, nothing bad will happen.  There won't be the police showing up to arrest/kill you, there aren't enough zombies right now to make a difference when you 'ring the dinnerbell'.  After that it branches out, 'everyone's gonna kill me, why should I give them the chance?' 'lol ima quickscope dat n00b', ect, ect.

You either kill or die, you keep on going.  If you kill you get their shit (if they have any) and you keep moving, maybe you hang around a bit in case they had any friends or come back for their stuff.  You die, you respawn, you get angry and gear up again and want to kill someone.

And of course, some people are just fucked in the head and we don't have asylums anymore. http://forums.dayzgame.com/index.php?/topic/219094-creative-ways-to-rob-and-kill/

Great stuff.

Sounds like FOG. "Because, we can." Haha

1..  Good for you, we will see how long that lasts.  I wouldn't take any bets on it if I were you.

2.  Has not one damn thing to do with this game one way or t'other.  I have 50% from the VA for PTSD for my time in Iraq, doesn't mean a damn thing in this game brother.

• Like 1

So what if we KOS? If I want to make friends I'll join a pottery class. It's funny how much of a DayZ "faux pas" KOS has become, especially when you know that most of the people on here complaining about it are just mad they were KOS'd. I'd be willing to bet a hundo that at least 99.5% of these same people KOS.

EDIT: fucking phone :/

Edited by Grimey Rick
  • Like 1