Sign in to follow this  
joe_mcentire

DayZ 2.0 - The Sequel

DayZ 2115: Set 100 years after the events of the original DayZ game. Find yourself a 3D printer and print yourself a rail gun!

• Like 2

DayZ 2115: Set 100 years after the events of the original DayZ game. Find yourself a 3D printer and print yourself a rail gun!

As long as its a chemrail gun...... XD

Obviously, the game is still in alpha and far away from a version 1.0. However with the revenue already made and the grand success of DayZ it would be highly unlikely if not unreasonable if they weren't already thinking or even planning ahead for a proper sequel. A franchise would come to my mind.

So my thoughts:

Are there already some loose plans and ideas? And if yes what would be important additions to the engine: voxel? rivers? dynamic changing environment? etc.

Ideas? Thoughts? Objections? Discuss!

Why are these things not possible in "v1"? After all the rendering engine will be overhauled which could open up the possibilities of what you suggest.

Why are these things not possible in "v1"? After all the rendering engine will be overhauled which could open up the possibilities of what you suggest.

because these changes would mean severe alterations within the engine. these things that might basically years.

No, no, yes, no.

Fantastic contribution from you there.

I dont know if they will do a sequel, but they might do expansion packs with new content and items.

Who knows.  We will have to wait until the game is finished to even consider what the future holds for DayZ

because these changes would mean severe alterations within the engine. these things that might basically years.

Personally I am annoyed at your push towards a 2.0 when 1.0 is not even out of Alpha.

Only to a certain extent.  The problem is that DayZ is currently (and presumably always will be) a one-off payment to buy and play, whilst employing people to update the game with new content, fix bugs and, in the long term, keep updating the engine and the like, is an ongoing cost and actually very expensive.  Whilst DayZ has sold 2 million odd copies so far (I think), which is impressive, how long before sales and therefore profits drop off?  Even if that takes a few years sooner or later it will get overtaken by something else, or the cost of updating the game engine will simply not be economically viable and then that's that.

If you aren't going for a micro transaction or monthly subscription model to fund a game sooner or later the money runs out.  That's where DayZ 2 or whatever, comes in.  And as joe_mcentire above says, not having a long term plan is the business and financial equivalent of pressing F11...

Well, thank god Bohemia has an excellent track record, for supporting games, well after they're "prime time" then.

This is not EA, whos only concern is churning out another poorly made "franchise" game, every single year.

I think we will get 3-5 DLC's for DayZ, much like we did for Arma II and III.

But i doubt there will ever be any "DayZ 2". Maybe in 10-15 years.

@OP

I dont see why BI would be "unreasonable if they weren't already thinking or even planning ahead for a proper sequel". Not to mention how bad an idea it would be to create a franchise, if not impossible really.

Dont get me wrong, BF, COD and CS has its charms, but do you really want DayZ turned into a generic shooter, with minimalistic updates every year, hidden under a new tittle, at full price???

In my world that would burry the game completely and take away, the whole point, of creating the standalone, in the first place.

So basicly you are saying that changes in DayZ is not possible, because it will require tremendous engine work and years to complete...

Correct me if im wrong mate, but isnt this exactlty what they are doing right now and have been doing for the past 1.5 years??? AND will continue to do for at least another year??

I still fail, completely, to see the need for a sequal.

Edited by Byrgesen

not to bring up WOW but i hope dayz lasts as long as it has and i hope they just update it to hell and back. maybe we could end up with a huge as map or maps with different regions of the world and like WOW once the goodlooks fade they just update that to if its possible its not that i hate sequels or that i am cheap skate beatskate just that i think the game once completed will have the lasting appeal that wow has. well except for me i could care less about WOW but it is successful and has lasted over a decade.

i actually expect this game to take years to complete and honestly i hope they take there sweet damn time and make it exactly how they want it. if it means overhauls new renderers hireing orcs whatever.

• Like 1

I like to imagine Dayz 2.0 will start it's life as an extremely popular mod of Dayz standalone created by the enigmatic modder 'Missile'. Bohemia will hire him to make the mod into a standalone game. It will have a long and torturous public alpha, spawn legions of copycat games and 'Missile', will leave halfway through development to start his own company. After its eventual release a modder by the name of 'Torpedo' will create an even more popular mod based on this new game, Bohemia will hire him and the circle of life continues...     

• Like 3

I like to imagine Dayz 2.0 will start it's life as an extremely popular mod of Dayz standalone created by the enigmatic modder 'Missile'. Bohemia will hire him to make the mod into a standalone game. It will have a long and torturous public alpha, spawn legions of copycat games and 'Missile', will leave halfway through development to start his own company. After its eventual release a modder by the name of 'Torpedo' will create an even more popular mod based on this new game, Bohemia will hire him and the circle of life continues...     

beautiful

So basicly you are saying that changes in DayZ is not possible, because it will require tremendous engine work and years to complete...

Correct me if im wrong mate, but isnt this exactlty what they are doing right now and have been doing for the past 1.5 years??? AND will continue to do for at least another year??

I still fail, completely, to see the need for a sequal.

you realize they have a roadmap? and even in their current roadmap "only" the most "basic" implementations (engine-wise) are still going to happen. Every other addition would most likely take them again year(s). 

Why do you think do major titles undergo several years of (5-6 at times) development? Even if they have a functional engine to start with (GTA as an example). 

That is MY whole point. It's a bit frustrating seeing ppl anwering "they should fix this game first". OH REALLY?? NO SHIT SHERLOCK... It's what happens next. Some brought up very valid ideas of some sort of WoW development working continuously on the one game. However, don't be so ignorant and actually expect a company to work for years to come on an already (hopefully soon v1.0) released game without creating any additional revenue. they will need a plan. most likely they are already thinking about plans. thinking otherwise is nothing short of naivete and ignorance.

I personally bought into this game because of the huge potential. I also expect this game to be flawed even when it will be finally calling itself v1.0. But with the success it already has/had i can see a glorious future ahead. Because i fucking love the survival scenario and i would love to see DayZ excel itself and its own limitations further down the line.

Edited by joe_mcentire

I used to be a DayZ fan... before standalone... before arma 3...

I'm still disappointed that they didn't use arma 3 for dayz sa... but here's a thought: DayZ 2, running on Arma 4!

I mean, come-on... as long as we are day-dreaming here, we might as well come up with something good.

And while they are at it, they should build a Life mod directly into Arma 4 (or at least the tools to make it easier for the community to do it). Why build this amazing combat engine, and then lock your players into just one genre? 

Let's face it... DayZ is in its current state because it had a small dev team with bad leadership. It's slowly getting better because the dev team is getting bigger and better. But Bohemia needs to come together as a company, and work together on these projects as one. They should design arma 4 together, with all these other genres and game mechanics in mind. Many of DayZs initial problems were due to the fact that the engine was never designed with certain things in mind (like the huge number of objects that all the zombies and gear spawns would create). The devs have made many improvements to the engine to support dayz mechanics, and those improvements can easily be rolled back into arma. 

I really hope they don't continue on the 'standalone' path for DayZ 2, because it seems like such a huge waste for their company to be working on two separate engines at the same time. 

I'll always have hope for the dayz franchise, and I wish Bohemia the best of luck. I think the next dayz and arma have great potential. The way things have been going with dayz though... I'll be surprised if it ever gets out of beta.

Edited by TinyWeeny

you realize they have a roadmap? and even in their current roadmap "only" the most "basic" implementations (engine-wise) are still going to happen. Every other addition would most likely take them again year(s). 

Why do you think do major titles undergo several years of (5-6 at times) development? Even if they have a functional engine to start with (GTA as an example). 

That is MY whole point. It's a bit frustrating seeing ppl anwering "they should fix this game first". OH REALLY?? NO SHIT SHERLOCK... It's what happens next. Some brought up very valid ideas of some sort of WoW development working continuously on the one game. However, don't be so ignorant and actually expect a company to work for years to come on an already (hopefully soon v1.0) released game without creating any additional revenue. they will need a plan. most likely they are already thinking about plans. thinking otherwise is nothing short of naivete and ignorance.

I personally bought into this game because of the huge potential. I also expect this game to be flawed even when it will be finally calling itself v1.0. But with the success it already has/had i can see a glorious future ahead. Because i fucking love the survival scenario and i would love to see DayZ excel itself and its own limitations further down the line.

The way you are writing it up, makes it sound like you have absolutely no idea how Bohemia Interactive handles they're games and how they support them.

Looking at Bohemia Interactive's earlier games, its safe to conclude DayZ isnt gonna be a finished game, when we hit release of "full version".

Its also safe to assume DayZ will be supported for many years, like the rest of the BI titles.

Its also safe to assume, we will recieve either DLC's or Expansions, down the road, like the rest of the BI titles.

*If these arent safe to assume, Bohemia Interactive will have changed the way they have been doing business, for the past 15 years, and i doubt it.

And they will get revenue, as long as people rent servers.

Again, this is not EA or Ubisoft, who throwns away games after launch and start working on new ones.

And this is not a giant developer company, Bohemia Interactive is actually a quite small studio, compared to most who create AAA games.

I completely understand what you are talking about, but i still completely fail to see the need for this talk, we dont even know what DayZ will look like in 3 years.

Edited by Byrgesen

Oooh how about a Guitar Hero Version?

DayZzTop!!

lol

snip

perfectly said by Chris:

All of the stuff above, plus better rivers, and actual fields with crops if possible. The forests are a bit boring too, we need more vegetation and a better sound environement. As long as it remains performance-friendly of course.

These two sentences are like...years of work  :) We all want "all of the stuff above plus...".  

http://forums.dayzgame.com/index.php?/topic/218621-about-the-environment/?p=2200658

If we would want to see all kind of "improvements" and additions it would take them literally YEARS. and that's just for Chernarus+ (overhaul and such). then think about new maps etc. that's my entire point tbh. i know what to expect from BI that's why i am really content and relaxed regarding, yeah almost everything that happend so far in this dev-process.

I can't believe the narrowmindedness of so many. I get the sense that many just want to post the most populistic stuff in here. The idea is to talk about the future, yet many come in this thread and say "NO! fix the BUGS!" anyone as they wish, i suppose.

and that's of course not addressed to you Byrgesen.

also this for anyone interested:

We face two main challenges related to the environment. The first is technology. Adding advanced features like working rivers requires the way the engine is reading the terrain to be fundamentally changed. Also, new shaders need to be created which would allow us to visualize things like changing tree colors (via material blending) or moving water in a decent way and at this point, we need to wait until the new renderer is completely functional on a 1:1 basis first, before we even begin discussing additional features. I can tell you, for example, the ArmA3 team spent months getting underwater to work in RV... its not a super pliable engine.

Further, such features, assuming we already have the technology for it, is loads and loads of work for artists and map designers. Completely revamping the entire 200+sq km of Chernarus and all of the buildings and vegetation to look long abandoned is, itself, a Goliath task, let alone adding new things like rivers and support for snow and seasonal changes.. Such work simply would not fit within the scope of our development roadmap. Chernarus took years to develop and would take equally long to redevelop. I would rather, for example, begin a new, purpose-built terrain in the style many of us want - long abandoned environment. The Last of Us did an awesome job with this sort of thing and is an inspiration for me.

...the reason i was eager to talk about a possibility of a "DayZ 2.0"..

Edited by joe_mcentire
  • Like 1

-snip-

That is true, very true :)

But its like this with every single game being developed, i call it "the greed in gamers" basicly.

No matter what you do, its not good enough, it has to be bigger and better and just do more things.

Gamers have no clue, as to what they actually want haha.

But this is exactly why i keep saying we will get DLC's and expansions, with more content, more features and much more detailed game mechanics. Arma III is a great indicator of this, the expansions and DLC have added both new toys (items, vehicles) and completely rewamped and way more detailed mechanics and functions.

Thats also why i say, this talk is kinda "redundant" right now, because DayZ isnt even half way through its development.

Basicly we have an empty shell, a chasis if you will, but we still lack any kind of motor, stearing and litteraly almost all other details, that makes it come together to an awsome "car" in the end :)

Dont get me wrong, i would LOVE if we have had DayZ based on VBS technology and i would love to have all the things you describe, but thats simply not possible, so Bohemia Interactive have no other choice but to work with what they have, they're version of the RV engine. While its limited in some areas, its far superior in others, i guess thats the tradeoff when it comes to choosing an engine.

You cant have it all, and if you could, all games would run on the same engine, basicly hehe.

The only way this would be possible, is if they either buy a license for a new and "better" engine (which will have other limitations) or they sit down and start over, which i seriously doubt they will.

Or if they keep developing the game for the next 5 years, which IMHO seems like the most plausible option.

EDIT:

Sorry for the confronting post before by the way, its been a rough day!

Edited by Byrgesen
  • Like 1

I would much, much prefer expansions over a sequel. Hell, you could even boast one of the great features of an expansion as being a conversion over to the Arma3 engine (which probably isn't possible, but would be awesome if so).

That is true, very true :)

But its like this with every single game being developed, i call it "the greed in gamers" basicly.

No matter what you do, its not good enough, it has to be bigger and better and just do more things.

Gamers have no clue, as to what they actually want haha.

But this is exactly why i keep saying we will get DLC's and expansions, with more content, more features and much more detailed game mechanics. Arma III is a great indicator of this, the expansions and DLC have added both new toys (items, vehicles) and completely rewamped and way more detailed mechanics and functions.

Thats also why i say, this talk is kinda "redundant" right now, because DayZ isnt even half way through its development.

Basicly we have an empty shell, a chasis if you will, but we still lack any kind of motor, stearing and litteraly almost all other details, that makes it come together to an awsome "car" in the end :)

Dont get me wrong, i would LOVE if we have had DayZ based on VBS technology and i would love to have all the things you describe, but thats simply not possible, so Bohemia Interactive have no other choice but to work with what they have, they're version of the RV engine. While its limited in some areas, its far superior in others, i guess thats the tradeoff when it comes to choosing an engine.

You cant have it all, and if you could, all games would run on the same engine, basicly hehe.

The only way this would be possible, is if they either buy a license for a new and "better" engine (which will have other limitations) or they sit down and start over, which i seriously doubt they will.

Or if they keep developing the game for the next 5 years, which IMHO seems like the most plausible option.

EDIT:

Sorry for the confronting post before by the way, its been a rough day!

I know, I love goin to the training sims and using VBS3.

A slight movement of the mouse shifts the point of aim, not your view. Best ballistics and great movement. Thanks to Arma, Im reigning champ at the once a year VBS Free For All we do my best is 57 kills and 3 deaths.

Shame that its a 10000 dollar program that I have neither the means nor knowledge/connections to obtain...

• Like 1

This game is an MMO. MMO's do not suit sequels.

Unless this game is still relevant in 10 years time and they feel like completely rebuilding it to get it up to date with modern technlogy of that time, there is absolutely no reason for them to make a sequel to it.

I know, I love goin to the training sims and using VBS3.

A slight movement of the mouse shifts the point of aim, not your view. Best ballistics and great movement. Thanks to Arma, Im reigning champ at the once a year VBS Free For All we do my best is 57 kills and 3 deaths.

Shame that its a 10000 dollar program that I have neither the means nor knowledge/connections to obtain...

Well thats because its not really ment for private use :)

For a security company or a military organization, its not expensive, when you think about the possibilities it adds.

Now combine that with Oculus Rift and Omni Treadmill, and its as close to real life combat as it will ever get.