Sign in to follow this  
roguetrooper

Do we really need more zombies?

More Z's is a must. Just search for "huge zombie horde dayz" on youtube and your mind gets blown by epicness.

From what I understand the devs are looking at 5000 infected/Z's over the entire map at full release...I can't wait!!

So, let us examine the actual population density of this figure, shall we? Assuming that infected will be located around the entire map (preferable), rather than concentrated in cities (which makes surviving them trivial)

Chernarus: 225 square kilometers, including water, so let us assume that there is about 200 square kilometers of territory available. This was also the old map, so let us use instead the new Chernarus Plus map, and assume that there is now 225 square kilometers of available land area. 

So, now we do some simple math.

5000 infected / 225 square kilometers = approx. 22 infected per square kilometer, assuming they are all spread out in equal numbers.

This means that, in the entirety of the Chernogorsk  metropolitan area, there could be 11 sq km x 22 infected  = 242 infected. So.... don't fire a rifle in Cherno?

Edited by Whyherro123
  • Like 2

So, let us examine the actual population density of this figure, shall we? Assuming that infected will be located around the entire map (preferable), rather than concentrated in cities (which makes surviving them trivial)

Chernarus: 225 square kilometers, including water, so let us assume that there is about 200 square kilometers of territory available. This was also the old map, so let us use instead the new Chernarus Plus map, and assume that there is now 225 square kilometers of available land area. 

5000 infected / 225 square kilometers = approx. 22 infected per square kilometer, assuming they are all spread out in equal numbers.

This means that, in the entirety of the Chernogorsk  metropolitan area, there could be 11 sq km x 22 infected  = 242 infected. So.... don't fire a rifle in Cherno?

oh the dream of zombie train in cherno like the old days but better

Couple that number with improved AI functions and zombie wandering, it would make the ideal zombie game.

No longer will players walk down open streets, firing SKSs at each other, sprinting through houses and up stairs. Players would be forced to walk, crawl and creep through buildings, staying out of open spaces. Any players encountered would be less of a threat than the hundred zombies that would swarm the instant you open fire. Groups of random players would be more common, loot-sharing and lookouts that watch more for zombies on the move than players.

• Like 1

Couple that number with improved AI functions and zombie wandering, it would make the ideal zombie game.

No longer will players walk down open streets, firing SKSs at each other, sprinting through houses and up stairs. Players would be forced to walk, crawl and creep through buildings, staying out of open spaces. Any players encountered would be less of a threat than the hundred zombies that would swarm the instant you open fire. Groups of random players would be more common, loot-sharing and lookouts that watch more for zombies on the move than players.

Couldn't agree more. This is what I wanted DayZ to be from the start.

Imo, its a combination.

The fear of being swarmed when you fire a firearm, must be there. The thoughtprocess consisting of me thinking, "should I risk shooting or not?".

Zombies must be a real threat, or at least so dangerous that you cant ignore them.

In the mod, which I still prefer over the SA, firing a gun in Electro will get you killed, or force you to leave town.

Thats what Id like.

• Like 1

Imo, its a combination.

The fear of being swarmed when you fire a firearm, must be there. The thoughtprocess consisting of me thinking, "should I risk shooting or not?".

Zombies must be a real threat, or at least so dangerous that you cant ignore them.

In the mod, which I still prefer over the SA, firing a gun in Electro will get you killed, or force you to leave town.

Thats what Id like.

the perfect answer

Yes, we absolutely do need more Zeds. When they're a true threat it will be a game changer.

I feel that there needs to be more zombies in prime loot locations, or busy places like cities ( Elektro/Cherno ect.) and less zombies randomly spawning in, but it's all a work in progress so, we will wait and see, but I do feel there needs to be MOAR of them.

I feel that there needs to be more zombies in prime loot locations, or busy places like cities ( Elektro/Cherno ect.) and less zombies randomly spawning in

That is actually already the case, at least for the initial spawns.

I think and wish zombies were really high on the devs piority list. There still pretty buggy, infact they really only been improved once that I know of. They go through floors still sometimes and seem to have eagle vision. Some times closing doors keeps them traped or stuck outside....sometimes not. There has been cases were I have been hit from 10 feet away. So before they add any more of them I would really like it if the ones in game polished much more. So they work correctly. Currently I think they can be really annoying pests more then anything, just becuase you cant predict weather closing a door will really work, or they just will go through a wall. When I see them I try to put them down as quickly as posibe becuase of that.

So fix them iron them out 1st, then add more. To be honest hords or herds would be fun, randomly roaming the map. But not hords or herds of broken ones. I would also like to see them look even more creepy. I would like to see much more of a verity of them, right now pretty much theres the female, male and I think 2 types of  miltary zombies. I wanna see some real freaky zombies, alittle more creepy then they are. Like with missing limbs and stuff like that. All Fed up lol But its alpha so I will wait patiently.

Edited by CJFlint

They could handle those numbers in the mod, and have vehicles, and persistent tents and vehicles and 50 players.

Isn't one of the big differences between mod and SA that zombies in the mod were controlled client side but in SA it's server side? If I'm correct that's going to impact many things including whether or not the "zombie hoard" will be possible. I've seen some videos of the mod where there's literally so many zeds it's silly, like "World War Z" move silly.

Certainly I'm game for more and better and from everything I've read that seems the plan.

If you don't want a proper amount of zombies (aka a LOT more than 3-10 per village/city) in a zombie apocalypse simulator, I suggest playing something else.

PvE and PvP should co-exist with a healthy amount of content for both aspects.

Edited by bonesnap
  • Like 1