Sign in to follow this  
MarchmelloMan

Who still uses Mosin (+LRS) for range kills?!

I used to do it, but since silencer was added, I am using AK101 with silencer and pso-1, pretty awesome! 

I had a SKS, PU scope, upgraded to a Mosin, LRS, Comp now I have a AK101 Black, PSO-1, Suppressor, Ak74u buttstock Black, plus 2x black mags. In the event I die I think I'm going with a bow and becoming a fisherman.

Just in case you dont know about the current bug which randomly prevents splints being made or applied

1. Put bandages/rags in your hand.
  2. Press F11 and drag sticks onto your hand before the animation finishes and a splint will be made instantly.
  3. Put the splint into your hands, press F11 and apply the splint before the animation finishes and you are sorted.

I didn't have that bug- I've been able to make splints but thanks for putting it out there in the event I start having trouble. 

On ANOTHER note though- HOLY CRAP now it's MUCH better... obviously I've been walking around with a broken arm all this time. Thankful since I wasn't sure how much use I was going to be for anyone given that I wasn't sure I'd have even been able to reliably hit the hospital reliably from 500m at the rate it was going. 

Thank you thank you!

• Like 1

I do on my 3pp public avatar. Yes anything over say 200 to 300 meters it is ideal to hold your breath while firing and be in the prone position. Its really good to have the range finder too, it is really important to know your ranges, it is rough because you cant zoom but it does work so long as you make sure your target is centered. You can of course use the map for that as well. Also for me when I carry the mosin I like to have a good side arm. I don't like using the mosin for CQB at all. There are some that do...not me. The .357 is what I like, no mags needed, speed loaders are nice to have. I prefer not to carry 2 rifles, to easy to mis-place one of them, kind of a pain in the ass.  Sway adds challenge but there are things you can do to cut down on it.

Not to be able to carry two rifles are kind of unrealistic. However it should slow you down due to weight.

weapon_arisakaType38_3.jpg

Only weapon I use. But I take off the scope in city's or CQB. I use the PU for 100-400m. Then I use the LRS for everything else. 1000m kills and all....

I shot someone laying on one of the watchtowers at NWAF the other day.

The distance was about 450 meters and it took me about 15 bullets to hit him.

The dispersion was quite big but I think that's quite logical for such an old rifle.

survey says.... you suck with the mosin

• Like 1

The Mosin with the LRS is pretty much the only thing I use. When I fresh spawn I play pretty stupidly/wrecklessly until I get a Mosin. The fun ends here.

• Like 1

IRL the mosin was probably the single most accurate battle rifle of its era perhaps of all time! Its effective range could be about 1000m but not with contemporary optics. They simply didn't have the needed magnification. Nowadays putting a 12x or greater magnification scope would let you hit targets at least that far away provided your a proficient marksman.

PS: I said battle rifle not rifle don't harass me about sniper rifles and other stuff I know what I'm talking about!

IRL the mosin was probably the single most accurate battle rifle of its era perhaps of all time! Its effective range could be about 1000m but not with contemporary optics. They simply didn't have the needed magnification. Nowadays putting a 12x or greater magnification scope would let you hit targets at least that far away provided your a proficient marksman.

PS: I said battle rifle not rifle don't harass me about sniper rifles and other stuff I know what I'm talking about!

Lol

• Like 1

It's true that a Mosin in very good condition with high quality 7.62x54mmR ammo can have better than average accuracy. However, this was far from the vast majority of Mosins that were produced; they were an incredibly cheap rifle that could be manufactured quickly and be given to basically anyone strong enough to hold one. This is true of most Soviet weapons from that era and really the majority of weapons that they made up until the end of the Cold War; can get the job done but are far from the best. In the right hands the Mosin, PPSh, and other Soviet WW2 weapons are extremely deadly, however the vast majority of Russian soldiers had comparatively little training (their casualty rate shows this.)

Regardless of whether they can be effective, the quality of other rifles was far better; KAR-98 rifles used by the Germans were vastly superior in terms of accuracy and overall quality. Likewise, the MP40, MG42, and plenty of other guns were well ahead of their Soviet counterparts in most instances. I mean, yeah, the PPSh-41 was almost destructive in urban combat, but the weapon's quality was still pretty low.

The Soviets built what worked and got the job done, but they didn't really go a step further. They lucked out in many instances with what they had as user accessibility was high with most of their guns, but with a well trained soldier most American, British, or German weapons at the time would be more effective.

• Like 1

My whole gaming in DayZ is based on the mosin :P i do not only use it for killing, but also for scouting areas before i enter them (airfield for example)

Safest way to play in my opinion. If i spot someone near me (which means <700m) i will try to kill him as he is a potential risk for me.

That way, my current main char (whitelisted server) is alive for almost 4 weeks, and i did not take a single bullet since then. (full 50 person server)

One thing you should also notice: You do not need to enter military areas if you play with the mosin. Mosin and ammo can be found in residential areas, ttsko stuff in barns, Uk assault vests near trucks. So no need to touch the dangerous areas ;)

Yeah and I'd assume the vast majority of ammo in Chernarus would be a relatively poor surplus batch of ammunition with some good quality reserved for the CDF in their PKMs, SVDs, and whatnot. I mean, even if Chernarus has a large amount of civilian firearm ownership, it's still an Eastern European country, so the market's not going to be on the same scale as the United States where you can find good and bad ammunition fairly easily (nowadays getting surplus Soviet ammo isn't as easy but still compared to other countries the U.S. has it pretty easy)

Add that to the fact that these are almost all Mosins that were used in over 50 years of wars and are still being heavily used and you're probably not going to see their performance as high as a well kept and maintained collector's Mosin in the US.

I believe the accuracy of the Mosin is only a placeholder until other sniper weapons get in, just as the LRS is. Once the Winchester Model 70 and later other rifles make it in they'll be able to remove the LRS from the Mosin and drop its accuracy enough to where it's only "okay". It'll still have the PU scope so potentially using at as a sniper weapon is still possible but for the most part it won't stand up to anything purpose built today. Such was most of the guns the Soviets manufactured - good enough to get the job done (and in many cases at some points they did outperform the competition, like the AK47 vs the M14 and early M16s in Vietnam. [Though the Vietnamese forces still tended to falter fighting a much better trained and equipped force, that just had weapons not built for the environment.])

I think you got it that it is only a placeholder. I believe I remember reading that in a Dev post, but can't remember when or where to prove it.

How do you guys think a scoped CR527 with a scope will affect gameplay? For one, I think snipers will be less common. Or, at the least, many of them will only be able to chamber the rifle as the magazines are currently quite uncommon. If movement speed/agility isn't reduced, getting a long range kill with the CR527 will be quite difficult, as the 7.62x39 round doesn't have the stopping power of the Mosin, and follow up shots will be required on moving targets.

A Mosin with a PU versus a scoped 527 would be a pretty decent match up I think.

I dropped a guy from ~900m last night. He was near the line of tents facing the runway in NWAF. I picked him off from the ATC.

The sway is pretty terrible, though. I don't really understand why it sways side to side so drastically. It should be mostly vertical.

Seems kind of half-assed.

Because rather than base the way firearms work in RL, they'd rather just make it up as they go along.

Not to be able to carry two rifles are kind of unrealistic. However it should slow you down due to weight.

weapon_arisakaType38_3.jpg

Sure you should be able to carry 2 and can. I have done it before, and I get tired of always having to put one down to do anything. It for me it gets old fast. Or if your attacked by zombies and dont want to shoot them, you gotta drop one to get the axe out. I lost an akm doing that in the past. For me I almost think its more of a liabilty having 2 rifles. It slows me down. Weight I have a feeling it will be added maybe down the road. 

Edited by CJFlint

Sure you should be able to carry 2 and can. I have done it before, and I get tired of always having to put one down to do anything. It for me it gets old fast. Or if your attacked by zombies and dont want to shoot them, you gotta drop one to get the axe out. I lost an akm doing that in the past. For me I almost think its more of a liabilty having 2 rifles. It slows me down. Weight I have a feeling it will be added maybe down the road. 

I mean, carry and not have to put it on the ground to use your axe or something else.

I mean, carry and not have to put it on the ground to use your axe or something else.

I remember a while ago one of the devs talked about it, or responded to a question about it. I remember her said they might add that feature in, but regardless the game would be modable at the end of the dev. I think it was either dean or hicks that said that, I dont remember which. It was a while ago.

Edited by CJFlint

There are some people that just don't find using a Mosin with a long range scope easy. But it is quite easy if you take curtain precautions.

When I snipe this is what I do before hand:

I always have a ghillie suit. They are easy for me to obtain. A snipers best friend.

I find rangefinders in barracks or at airfields before I go sniping.

I make sure my sniper as all attachments in pristine condition. Bu the only ones that matter are the LRS and the Compensator.

I always use a splint before I snipe. Because if your arm is broken you might not even know.

I am in prone at a curtain spot for a good 5 minutes before I ever start shooting.

Once I meet all the above requirements. I can easily hit a target from 800-1100 meters away.

Ever since they released the repeater I've picked that over the Mosin everytime.

Once I meet all the above requirements. I can easily hit a target from 800-1100 meters away.

Everything else you wrote is great info and I'm sure helpful to lots of Mosin newbs, ^ that however is a "lie".

I've been testing for weeks with extrem ranges, on 99% on the map (at least all the places I tried), the player rendering stops at 1000/1001 meter (even confirmed it with friends, step by step back etc.).

If you know a trick how to increase the range of view, I'd love to know that (and then I'd say sorry for calling your sentance a lie) :)

cheers

Oh and for the OP --> Yes, I do still use it (most used weapon by far actually for me) the Mosin is still an absolute beast if you know how to handle that gun.

Edited by re-patch

I love the mosin.  The stopping power seems to be pretty unreliable but it hits hard.  I usually take an SKS+PU scope over it, mostly because I play in Svetlo where few shots are over 100 meters.  Would love to have a better sniper.  Even if it's bolt-action, I just want more reliable stopping power.  Pretty sure if someone took a 7.62x51mm round to an unprotected torso, they should drop.  The number of times I've had to shoot a new spawn with the mosin and have them survive and continue to punch me is staggering.

Edited by Im Old Gregg
  • Like 1

Everything else you wrote is great info and I'm sure helpful to lots of Mosin newbs, ^ that however is a "lie".

I've been testing for weeks with extrem ranges, on 99% on the map (at least all the places I tried), the player rendering stops at 1000/1001 meter (even confirmed it with friends, step by step back etc.).

If you know a trick how to increase the range of view, I'd love to know that (and then I'd say sorry for calling your sentance a lie) :)

cheers

Oh and for the OP --> Yes, I do still use it (most used weapon by far actually for me) the Mosin is still an absolute beast if you know how to handle that gun.

The "easily" part may of been a bit over exaggerated. It actually takes time, patience, and some sweat to successfully hit any target over 800 meters. I have, in fact hit a target from roughly 1100 meters. The Mosin can shoot and (I'm not sure how far exactly) can hit an object/entity from over 1100 meters away, though you wont be able to see where and what it hit. My one time I hit a target from 1100 meters was a one in a million shot. I had a friend that was right by my target and I was 1100 meters away. After the target went out of my range of view, my friend started to spot me, and I knew the area very well (I have photographic memory believe it or not, so that helped) and there was a curtain building that the player was heading to and I knew which direction I had to face to hit that building. So I aimed towards the building (it was out of my Range of View) and aimed towards the ground area, and when I shot for the 4th time (my shots were random.) My friend had said that the player who I was sniping at that was out of my Range of View had fallen. I head towards the area I was shooting at and we found the player dead. The only probable solution is that out of those 4 completely random shots that were pass my Range of View, I managed to hit the target. So it in fact, was not a lie. But I know for a fact that any sniper will not be able to hit a target from that distance without a little luck 

The "easily" part may of been a bit over exaggerated. It actually takes time, patience, and some sweat to successfully hit any target over 800 meters. I have, in fact hit a target from roughly 1100 meters. The Mosin can shoot and (I'm not sure how far exactly) can hit an object/entity from over 1100 meters away, though you wont be able to see where and what it hit. My one time I hit a target from 1100 meters was a one in a million shot. I had a friend that was right by my target and I was 1100 meters away. After the target went out of my range of view, my friend started to spot me, and I knew the area very well (I have photographic memory believe it or not, so that helped) and there was a curtain building that the player was heading to and I knew which direction I had to face to hit that building. So I aimed towards the building (it was out of my Range of View) and aimed towards the ground area, and when I shot for the 4th time (my shots were random.) My friend had said that the player who I was sniping at that was out of my Range of View had fallen. I head towards the area I was shooting at and we found the player dead. The only probable solution is that out of those 4 completely random shots that were pass my Range of View, I managed to hit the target. So it in fact, was not a lie. But I know for a fact that any sniper will not be able to hit a target from that distance without a little luck 

Yeah I know what you mean, I did practice with the mosin for more than 400 hours now so, got a few 998/1000m hits already. I knew that the bullet does go farther than the player rendering does (I'm not sure how far exactly either though, sorry), but I haven't tried it yet. I do believe you with the memory and sorry for calling it a lie, I was just pretty sure you couldn't extend the range any farther. I don't have such a memory but I think it would be possible to hit at 1100m (at least when my friend would stand stand still on top of Novo tower), otherwhise I'm not sure yet :) but I will try it.

Check out my first video if you want :) :thumbsup:

*****https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YAl3diGyyZw

I'll upload another one soon with some mixed stuff and a 999m shot.

cheers man

Edited by re-patch

Wind effects, and real-time ballistics with accurate values for the mechanical accuracy of the firearms. the person as the keyboard should be the deciding factor; knowing how and properly compensating for all the factors involved in a long range shot (or failing at it).

i generaly agree with the gun values but wind effects? I highly doubt they would add "wind" in the game as such, sounds like something they would need to put a huge deal of work and resources into. and the only cheap way of doing it would be... RNG. No, thanks.

If anything, this belongs more into arma series. It's DayZ, survivor game, not cold war crisis where it was all about "check this awesome sound delay after my rpg missile hits that hill, how accurate!".

I for certain dont need wind and 15 different calculations when i fire my gun and I've always been a fan of hardcore recoil fps shooters like dod 1.3, RO series etc.

It's just that to me it seems like a huge waste of resources.Resources they could use for so many other things.

You already need to keep your character dry, not cold nor hot. It's really not that easy in a full ghillie suit.And devs said that's only the beggining.

I overheated in NWEAF by lying in grass and got freezing status an hr later in myshkino that i still havent got rid off,even tho i sat by two fires and grilled 3 boars (guts in jacket) in the meantime.

Weather can easily bring down the fog and and decreases visability. It rains allot so good luck staying motionless for 20 minutes without getting cold. And good luck not overheating if you're wearing gorka+high capacity. Same goes for CQC. you have no backpack so its either (in my case) trusty revolver, or low on ammo 74 short/mp5 that takes the full vest (unless you're smersh lucky).

That is if you dont put vests into vests into vests into hunting backpack two trees behind you.All the ghillie dudes i encountered *coughs*killed*coughs* died 'cause they came back to civilisation for one reason only, they were lacking on something badly. Either food, water, bullets. A bush in the middle of hospital hallway??? WAAAAIT A MOMMENT O.o

Whoever kills me with a mosin deserved it and i wont call it EZ OP wep. Like some1 above me said (sorry for not quoting) it takes allot of patience, so cuddos; you deserved my scalp.Some people treat mosin like its a weapon that gives out free kills.. I find assault rifles allot more powerful if the player can burst fire properly. You can prefire in cqc, spray and you will still come ontop.Fusillade for the win. Now that's something that requires absolutely no skill. Add 3pp and you get APB; Chernarus

P.S.. yea i wub it...

Edited by halp

(I'm not sure how far exactly either though, sorry)

It goes up to 1850 meters.

i generaly agree with the gun values but wind effects? I highly doubt they would add "wind" in the game as such, sounds like something they would need to put a huge deal of work and resources into. and the only cheap way of doing it would be... RNG. No, thanks.

The only "problem" with wind is that players, animals too, rarely stand still, they are always moving around, players usually sprinting. In real life people sit around for hours, in-game you might have very little time to set a shot up.

As for "highly doubt", I don't see what else they could be talking about on the roadmap below... I am still skeptical though.

Qn39saA.png

• Like 2