PinoyRiceShop

DayZ Standalone Or Arma 2 DayZ mod?

What basic experience do you expect from each? - dayz= shiz happens dayzmod= shiz happens less (but still happens) more features atm

more features atm

Features that no longer represent the original concept unless you can find a vanilla server, last time I checked there were 3 and none where really vanilla (confirm with kichiron).

If you are looking to shoot/drive and fly then I would recommend ArmA 3 and try some of the missions/mods but if you want to play DayZ then the SA is really the only choice.

It's all about how much you have to invest really, if you have the money then buy all three DayZ SA, ArmA 3 and ArmA2 (with all expansions for complete compatibility).

A few hours left in the Steam sale for both A3 & DayZ SA, you can get both for less than 50$£€.

I expect ArmA 2 is also going cheap (please check).

• Like 1

The only reason I started playing SA was because at summer break I was so bored, I tried playing DayZ mod. But what's there? No servers at all! Yes there are ofcourse, but like 10 servers and those are all 3-4 player servers. So I gave up and bought SA instead.

I loved the mod, it was perfect for me but sadly, I can't play at this time as my pc is broken.  I find the standalone very challenging.  I still have no shirt or pants, for example.

But if you're looking for busy server then I think your only choice is the standalone.  :thumbsup:

Hey guys, I was just wondering everyone's opinion of the game and what the difference there is between it and the mod. I am currently playing the mod and I have gotten equal reports on both versions of the game. Just wondering which version ya'll  prefer and why, thanks!  :thumbsup:

Hey guys, I was just wondering everyone's opinion of the game and what the difference there is between it and the mod. I am currently playing the mod and I have gotten equal reports on both versions of the game. Just wondering which version ya'll  prefer and why, thanks!  :thumbsup:

The mod is more polished with less minutia. Standalone has big ideas and prettier graphics (which are difficult to get to run smoothly) but is clunky and constantly changing in a variety of ways (some good some bad) 

"A few differences"

-Zombies in the mod are clientside and deadlier. Standalone they are serverside and kinda silly

-In the mod there are dozens of vehicles ranging from helis to small sedans to buses

-There are WAY more enter-able buildings in the the Standalone.

-There are far more towns etc in the standalone. 

Edited by B@ker
  • Like 4

The mod is more polished with less minutia. Standalone has big ideas and prettier graphics (which are difficult to get to run smoothly) but is clunky and constantly changing in a variety of ways (some good some bad) 

"A few differences"

-Zombies in the mod are clientside and deadlier. Standalone they are serverside and kinda silly

-In the mod there are dozens of vehicles ranging from helis to small sedans to buses

-There are WAY more enter-able buildings in the the Standalone.

-There are far more towns etc in the standalone. 

Kinda sums it up, but my personal opinion is I prefer the SA. I just love testing things, I love the whole idea behind it, and I like the customization. Just me c:

The mod is great, and still has its place with variety in weapons and vehicles. But the gap is closing as the sa adds more of those features over time.

However the lack of enterable buildings in the mod makes it feel bare.

So long as you can accept some of the alpha clunkiness, it's probably the way to go.

I felt SA passed the mod a few months back. SA is only going to get better while the mod peaked some time ago. It's getting harder and harder to find decent and populated mod servers.

Zeds in SA are fair, in the mod, due the fact they are a big pile of buggy mess, they are really hardcore and a formidable foe, they run like Usain Bolt, its some really scarry shit man.

SA is cool because you can even dodge zeds attacks with good timing and a bit of practice, in the mod you better run like hell, or don't let him get close to you because you will get hit, and they really like to break your legs in the mod lol.

The mod is way more hardcore and REALLY not noob-friendly, but SA plays better and has a general better game designing imho, but lacks challange.

Edited by Avant-Garde
  • Like 1

Mod is better, SA is shit, no vehicles, no loot, no zombies... just dead. 

Also though the SA has more buildings you can enter, but there is no loot in any of them, so there is no point to going in them. 

Both are good (and bad), both for different reasons.

The Mod (good things);

> Zombies can be more dangerous, but you can also just 'run them off' fairly easily if your not tied up with a PvP engagement

> More variety of weapons and vehicles.

> Based on a finished game, a good bit less fumbly/clunky if your familiar with arma II

> Lots of private servers with established communties.

The Mod (Bad things);

> Zombies are still glitchy- especially in High-pop servers when desynch comes into play. the number of times ive been screwed over by a zombie lag hitting me thru a wall or a floor is insane.

> Many sub mods and community-made launchers which only pick up a certain servers and mods make getting all the files and versions a monumental task for a new player.

> Many communities now offer 'easy mode' in exchange for 'donations'.

> Many of the sub-mods drifted far from the core gameplay of the original dayZ Mod.

The SA (Good)

> More diversity and enterable buildings.

> Customization

> One game, one version. although mechanics are always evolving (ALPHA!) the core gameplay is the same

> Improved Lighting and visuals.

The SA (BAD)

> As an Alpha it has horrendously poor optimization, and some systems that are below specs run better then those above recommended. (Higher performance per core rather then more cores seems to do better CPU-wise)

> Zombies are annoying but not challenging. 'stealth' is not a thing and Mele is silly and unreliable. desynch only makes it worse in full and nearly-full servers.

> Less features, and less polished features then some of the sub-mods made by the community.

> Limited options for communities to customize their servers.

Edited by Sovetsky
  • Like 1

Mod is better, SA is shit, no vehicles, no loot, no zombies... just dead. 

Also though the SA has more buildings you can enter, but there is no loot in any of them, so there is no point to going in them. 

With a 'hit and run' troll post like that you obviously haven't played the SA or ....as stated, you are just a troll. 

I uninstalled Arma II. Why? The various DayZ Mods are not worth it any longer. If I want to play something with vehicles I play a mod with ARMA III like Epoch. If I want PVP I do Wasteland/Battle Royal with ARMA III. If I want survival that is actually worth playing I play DayZ SA.

Yes the SA is alpha and there are bugs but there are so many bugs with the Mod still it doesn't bother me. The zombies are getting better as they go along and are one of the focal points coming up in the first quarter of 2015. Sounds are now starting to slowly get changed over. The health systems are so much better in SA, environment matters, food matters, having the right items matters. I just like the flow of SA so much better. I don't have to search around to find Morphine if I have a broken leg, I can use that, or painkillers, or splint it by crafting a splint out of various materials. I don't just find cans of food spawned in various places, I can also search apple trees and bushes for food, hunt and have to cook it(and you really have to watch your food as you cook it). Rain and cold suck. Ruining my items sucks. SA is just better in all that. I don't need an attack chopper to play DayZ and more vehicles are coming. 

Features that no longer represent the original concept unless you can find a vanilla server, last time I checked there were 3 and none where really vanilla (confirm with kichiron).

If you are looking to shoot/drive and fly then I would recommend ArmA 3 and try some of the missions/mods but if you want to play DayZ then the SA is really the only choice.

It's all about how much you have to invest really, if you have the money then buy all three DayZ SA, ArmA 3 and ArmA2 (with all expansions for complete compatibility).

A few hours left in the Steam sale for both A3 & DayZ SA, you can get both for less than 50$£€.

I expect ArmA 2 is also going cheap (please check).

I run 4 pure vallinars

All these posts in here about the standalone are so old I'm trying to determine if I want to purchase this game. I have to play a game for a class so it's not a in it for the long haul sort of thing. If I like the game I may purchase the SA when it comes out. I want to purchase whichever of the two is "more complete" at the current moment. I would assume the Mod is but the SA has been released for a year so I'm not sure. Also I'm running this on a Surface Pro 3, so I want to get the one that will run better. I know neither will run ideal and will most likely need to be run a low settings.

I'm leaning towards the Mod since I imagine the Arma II engine would be more polished and the Mod would be more complete vs the SA running on a new/updated engine might be less polished and the SA lacking in many features.

Is my assumption correct/still the case. Most of these complaints threads are 6-8 months old (any very long to read through) and I don't know how to trust them anymore. The goal is to have as fun of an experience as I can while running this on a Surface pro 3 for the next 10-12 weeks and to help me know if I would purchase the SA when released.

I understand both are in Alpha and both have their share of glitches/bugs what have you.

If you want a somewhat finished game right now at the moment that you will enjoy and have lots of things to do in. Buy Arma II and get the mod. Simple as that because the standalone does not yet have all the features that the mod has. BUT. In the future the standalone will probably have more then the mod because it's a "stand alone game" so the team doesn't have to limit there creativeness in it. So buying the standalone will be worth it in the long run. But the standalone is, as you said yourself, in alpha and you will not have a flawless gaming experiance. (You will not have that in the mod either but it's closer to that). Close to nothing is finished and there for the Arma mod is better as a finished product. Hope this helped you in your choice! And if it didn',t think of it like this. Do you want to take part in the development of a game or du you want to play a finished game?

Considering the mod is pretty heavily pay-to-win with all the badmins (bad admins), I am currently playing Standalone over the mod.

The only mod maps currently look like this:

-"Donating" for starting loadouts (does complete shame to the word "donate") Aka $5-40 a month for starting with anything from pistol / backpacks to sniper rifles+ghillie suits, etc

-"Donating" for vaults that only paying players can use

-"Donating" for locked bases that only paying players can use

-NPC traders

Barf.

Keep in mind that DayZ SA gets updates every 2-3 weeks and is shaping up to be a much more complete game and experience (farming, fishing, etc etc) and DayZ mod is probably near the end of it's life-span. I can't see it getting an update more than once every few months, and a small one at that. An entire company isn't getting paid to update the game, it's a few individuals updating their map at best.

With that said, I currently do not even play DayZ SA that much at the present time, as I am waiting for it to shape up and get more content / be better optimized. I still do enjoy to hop on now and then and mess around though.

That is my two cents on the matter. Cheers.

edit: Forgot to mention the "hacking" situation. DayZ SA was rebuilt from the ground up for the main reason of combatting hacking. Yes, there is still rare cases of hackers in DayZ, but BattleEye (the anti-cheat) is being worked on heavily, as well as the whole server infrastructure has been redesigned so people can't just write up scripts and butcher the server. Things such as "thunderdoming" (teleporting all the players on the server to one spot) is only possible in the mod, as far as I know.

Also, as MrCactusMan said before, the mod might be a more enjoyable experience at the moment as it should have way more guns/items/crafting/base creation tools/etc at the moment. DayZ SA looks alot nicer though (it presently uses the Arma 2.5 engine, that was used in Take On Helicopters).

Edited by bonesnap

Considering the mod is pretty heavily pay-to-win with all the badmins (bad admins), I am currently playing Standalone over the mod.

The only mod maps currently look like this:

-"Donating" for starting loadouts (does complete shame to the word "donate") Aka $5-40 a month for starting with anything from pistol / backpacks to sniper rifles+ghillie suits, etc

-"Donating" for vaults that only paying players can use

-"Donating" for locked bases that only paying players can use

-NPC traders

Barf.

Keep in mind that DayZ SA gets updates every 2-3 weeks and is shaping up to be a much more complete game and experience (farming, fishing, etc etc) and DayZ mod is probably near the end of it's life-span. I can't see it getting an update more than once every few months, and a small one at that. An entire company isn't getting paid to update the game, it's a few individuals updating their map at best.

With that said, I currently do not even play DayZ SA that much at the present time, as I am waiting for it to shape up and get more content / be better optimized. I still do enjoy to hop on now and then and mess around though.

That is my two cents on the matter. Cheers.

edit: Forgot to mention the "hacking" situation. DayZ SA was rebuilt from the ground up for the main reason of combatting hacking. Yes, there is still rare cases of hackers in DayZ, but BattleEye (the anti-cheat) is being worked on heavily, as well as the whole server infrastructure has been redesigned so people can't just write up scripts and butcher the server. Things such as "thunderdoming" (teleporting all the players on the server to one spot) is only possible in the mod, as far as I know.

Also, as MrCactusMan said before, the mod might be a more enjoyable experience at the moment as it should have way more guns/items/crafting/base creation tools/etc at the moment. DayZ SA looks alot nicer though (it presently uses the Arma 2.5 engine, that was used in Take On Helicopters).

Nothing wrong with trying to earn a buck especially if someone is willing to pay for it. But I digress. 

You will enjoy SA if you play it. With all of the quirks and bugs you will see a game become developed right before your eyes. I have only been playing a few months now and I really enjoy the concept.

On a Surface Pro 3? GL with that... really hope it's at least i5 or i7....

I've watched gameplay online running on the i5 4GB version and I know it's not like running on a decent PC, but hey, I'm not expecting it to run 1080 with full textures and what not, but I'd love it if I could talk to someone with experience. Hoping to hook up my Xbone controller to it as well.

I just want to know what class is making you play a Video game ..  Whats your Final ?  Going to all the pubs in town and trying there drinks.  What ever happened to school was suppose to be Horrid.. Like i remember it was..  Playing Dayz for a class ..  I LOVE IT

Would be better able to answer this if we knew what class it was for. If it is for an anthropology class then I'd say go find a different game or play the mod. Realize that this is not a finished game, any virtual anthropology would be skewed beyond recognition in SA.