gcriseightysix

travel more.

For the life of me I can't understand why such the vast majority of players stick to coastal towns and cities. One of the most dynamic parts of the game is that the map is so large so why not explore it? Its understandable for new players as the coast is easy to navigate. Cities like Elektro, Cherno, Berezino, Svet are usually looted pretty fast and populated with hackers. Everyone is entitled to their own preference but I see so many people settling for 2nd tier weapons/gear by staying in the same old cities. Last night I was in a 50 player server and travelled from severograd through the NWAF and back all the way to gorka and did not see a single player.

• Like 3

You have a higher chance of running into people at NWAF with 10 people on the server. Also a lot of high geared people stay near the coast to get easy kills, and hence freshspawns have trouble getting out of the towns. And some people are new to the game, they don't know any area outside of the spawnpoints.

• Like 1

Well, i used to like going inlands, but right now i find it

much easier to gear up near or in the coastal towns and

at the same time find people to destroy completely *evil grin*

• Like 1

For the life of me I can't understand why such the vast majority of players stick to coastal towns and cities. One of the most dynamic parts of the game is that the map is so large so why not explore it? Its understandable for new players as the coast is easy to navigate. Cities like Elektro, Cherno, Berezino, Svet are usually looted pretty fast and populated with hackers. Everyone is entitled to their own preference but I see so many people settling for 2nd tier weapons/gear by staying in the same old cities. Last night I was in a 50 player server and travelled from severograd through the NWAF and back all the way to gorka and did not see a single player.

Gimps. Bandits. Murderers. Newbs. Bambis. Cannibals. A lot of people fall into those categories either temporarily or permanently, that's why.

• Like 1

Actually its because they are lazy to run 20 minutes.

My route between Cherno-Vybor never gets old. Everytime I run there, it gets even more fun.

• Like 4

The most of the players want interactions for good or bad, so staying on the coast offers that. The map IS so big and the player max population is SO low, you won't find anyone in the random cities in land. There are more than 50 towns/cities/castles/bases and ONLY 50 people to run around in them. If there was some plus side to teaming up with anyone that may help move people in land, but until then the coast is all the action there is. 

It is a shame the towns in the way north west are so nice, they look as if they have been abandoned for some time. Not like the clean streets of the coastal towns. But on a 46/50 server, a long run from up there down to NWAF continue down to Cherno over to  Electro and around up to Berzino and finally ending up at Svet  with only 3 people seen or talked with, I just don't know . Looting is fun enough but the player/player interactions are what make this game.

Being totally new to the game but with enough hours invested as to understand why people don't leave their spawn areas... It's taken me a couple hours to navigate my way up to NWAF from having a few mistakes on my part, nav errors, murdered once... taking it slow, safe and easy- found a few items I liked but still don't even have a gun (with ammo)... got the camo I want- HOURS invested in trying to do it right... just to have some jagoff shoot me on sight and have to start all over?

If that's the way it's going to be, might as well just stay put- if I get killed then I'll go to some other coastal spawn and run around as fast as I can and grab up as much stuff until the next time I get killed by some KoS dude sitting on the top of a building sniping at people while he fondles himself. Why would anyone venture anywhere? Even in the biggest cities it's the same buildings over and over again... the same wrecked houses... same empty loot- lots of food though as mentioned before. Lots of ammo and no guns or no ammo and lots of guns. Guys server hopping to get teched out so they can go and KoS dudes running T-shirts and crowbars?

I say all that- but I'd still like to learn the game... only way to learn what's available out there is to go out there. Unfortunately, having been up to the NWAF and heading back easy now I'm seeing that it's an expansive world filled with repetition. It'll change, I know... it's pre-release... and I made a commitment to be a part of it through it's development. I'm hoping that the result will be I'll truly appreciate where the game lands since I'll have had some exposure to it during the shakeout period.

• Like 2

ENO75

At least you seem to understand the current state of the game and all factors involved.

It's refreshing to read that at least one new player is paying attention and at least somewhat informed as to how this game will progress.

I run fucking laps around the map, all the time.

I run semi random paths, even though I know the map well I merely point my self and deal with what I come across as I go.

• Like 1

The reason I think many players stay on the coast or close to were they spawn at is becuase there over all expectations of what there going to do is low. They do not want to run for a around the map for hours on end just to die. They have not really learned how to play dayz to survive for more then a couple hours at best a couple of days. So they limit them selves. Its the truth. Theres also the fact you need food, water, good boots and some way to repair them...they dont want to bother with that. I prefer not to play with player that think like that. To me there more of a liabilty then anything. Dont get me wrong, if there in TS as long as there cool its all good...Im just not going to team up with players like that LOL

For me I have always been a traveler in dayz, one day I will be in cherno, the next up in novo. I go every where. I love going on adventures. I prefer the southernwest part of the map the best if I had to chose. The NW part of the map is my least fav becuase theres to many open feilds..not enough places to hide or take cover. Although I do go there often. I am always moving when I play dayz for the most part, unless Im doing over watch. To me dayz is a moving battle feild or world. You get nothing by just staying still, or limiting you self to a small area. In pvp you its not always the best idea to to sit in one area for to long. Thats how you fall victom of ghosters.

Edited by CJFlint

I've traveled the whole map and still settle with 2nd tier weaponry and equipment. I only need a Mosin Nagat with a long range scope and a Drybag

• Like 1

I'm having great fun running the small towns that nobody really goes to. Many times I spawned near Solnichniy or Kamyshovo, and found nothing useful after scavenging every nook and cranny. I do the effort of going to Tulga, Dolina or Orlovets, and I have all the loot in the town ready to be picked. On one trip to Dolina I found more food and drink than I could carry, proper clothing, a drybag, a shotgun with ammo and a hacksaw to chop it down with, a Mosin (sadly no ammo there) and my beloved aviators!

Even on high pop servers, many towns are consistently ignored because of their apparent unattractiveness. But that in itself is an attractive quality to me, since I gain much from risking little. And even guns are not that hard to find there, as the adorably named 'Grandma's House' can be found in most small towns. And we all know grandma loves packing some heat!

• Like 1

I'm having great fun running the small towns that nobody really goes to. Many times I spawned near Solnichniy or Kamyshovo, and found nothing useful after scavenging every nook and cranny. I do the effort of going to Tulga, Dolina or Orlovets, and I have all the loot in the town ready to be picked. On one trip to Dolina I found more food and drink than I could carry, proper clothing, a drybag, a shotgun with ammo and a hacksaw to chop it down with, a Mosin (sadly no ammo there) and my beloved aviators!

Even on high pop servers, many towns are consistently ignored because of their apparent unattractiveness. But that in itself is an attractive quality to me, since I gain much from risking little. And even guns are not that hard to find there, as the adorably named 'Grandma's House' can be found in most small towns. And we all know grandma loves packing some heat!

Dolina is my favorite town, but Severograd is rapidly becoming #2.

oops, double post...sorry

Edited by CJ_14

Dolina is my favorite town, but Severograd is rapidly becoming #2.

Dolina for a small town has everything. Even a pond. I stop there all the time while Im in transit lol

I've traveled the whole map and still settle with 2nd tier weaponry and equipment. I only need a Mosin Nagat with a long range scope and a Drybag

I would at this point consider the mosin a tier 1 weapon. its my gun of choice, when accompanied by a magnum I feel its nearly unstoppable. unless of course youre caught against someone spraying 70 rounds close range out of their akm. then youre fucked

Being totally new to the game but with enough hours invested as to understand why people don't leave their spawn areas... It's taken me a couple hours to navigate my way up to NWAF from having a few mistakes on my part, nav errors, murdered once... taking it slow, safe and easy- found a few items I liked but still don't even have a gun (with ammo)... got the camo I want- HOURS invested in trying to do it right... just to have some jagoff shoot me on sight and have to start all over?

If that's the way it's going to be, might as well just stay put- if I get killed then I'll go to some other coastal spawn and run around as fast as I can and grab up as much stuff until the next time I get killed by some KoS dude sitting on the top of a building sniping at people while he fondles himself. Why would anyone venture anywhere? Even in the biggest cities it's the same buildings over and over again... the same wrecked houses... same empty loot- lots of food though as mentioned before. Lots of ammo and no guns or no ammo and lots of guns. Guys server hopping to get teched out so they can go and KoS dudes running T-shirts and crowbars?

I say all that- but I'd still like to learn the game... only way to learn what's available out there is to go out there. Unfortunately, having been up to the NWAF and heading back easy now I'm seeing that it's an expansive world filled with repetition. It'll change, I know... it's pre-release... and I made a commitment to be a part of it through it's development. I'm hoping that the result will be I'll truly appreciate where the game lands since I'll have had some exposure to it during the shakeout period.

my tactic as a freshspawn is to find enough food and water to energize/hydrate myself and aquire a nice melee weapon for zeds. at that time I make a b-line west to find unlooted territory. I also travel to novo a lot due to its size the loot tends to take longer to be claimed. also, a good way to learn the map better is to go to interactive map on your web browser and check it periodically when traveling so you can learn the landscape a bit better now.

Basic survival is rather easy, plenty of food and drinks all over the place so, to me interaction is what moves me atm in-game and since most people is near the edge of the map there is where i live, North N-E mostly, i rarely go to electro or cherno. And about the loot... You can find everything pretty much there.

I would at this point consider the mosin a tier 1 weapon. its my gun of choice, when accompanied by a magnum I feel its nearly unstoppable. unless of course youre caught against someone spraying 70 rounds close range out of their akm. then youre fucked

Eh, you'd be surprised. My first battles with the AKM were... disappointing. With the heavy recoil spray and pray is not a good tactic, and many people with assault rifles gravely overestimate their skills with it. As a result, I got killed often by Mosin wielders. Likewise, I've killed my share of trigger-happy tacticool bandit wannabes, using only civilian weapons. My current combo is Mosin, sawn-off, Magnum and derringer. They have fairly abundant ammo, there is no need to find magazines, even though speedloaders and Mosin clips are excellent finds, they are hardly a necessity. No need to risk my ass going to battle zones to find a weapon that really is only as good as the one wielding it. 

• Like 1

You have to keep in mind that most people playing DayZ are sheep. Meaning they are playing because it is the 'in' thing to do, not because they actually enjoy what DayZ is or what it can be. This is the impression I get from browsing forums and from the players I've observed at least. They want gear quick and kills even quicker. To the point where a lot of the SA player base will waste an hour or so of their own time hopping, just to get to the point where they feel like they can now start playing the game. So yes, you get a large portion of a server's population that have decided they don't want to waste time playing the game so they instead decide to waste time not playing the game by sticking around a few key areas around the map. Twisted logic if you ask me.

It's amazing how something as small as an average life span counter on a web site and a little number in the corner of your screen reminding you of how many days your character has been surviving for can change things though. Not sure why they decided to lean away from such things though.

• Like 3

find me...

garden_7.jpg

You have to keep in mind that most people playing DayZ are sheep.

scared sheep..

oh so scared

..ngnggghghggngn

Edited by {Core}BlackLabel
  • Like 1

A simple cost benefit analysis will clear this up. Players want to see other players while they play. Players also want to be able to overcome and/or survive encounters with those other players. Exploring the map and attaining "superior" gear will help you survive those encounters, but it's not necessary. Also, the coast is where players spawn, and is where player interaction is the most probable.

Players want to minimize their "costs" and maximize their "benefits". By sticking to the coast, you can maximize potential of seeing other players (benefit), and minimize time between encounters (cost).

This analysis doesn't apply to players that value gear, exploration, survival, or immersion over player interaction. This mostly applies to players that hang around the coast exclusively by choice (some people just don't know the map. Lucky bastards...)

Hope that helped answer your question!

You have a higher chance of running into people at NWAF with 10 people on the server. Also a lot of high geared people stay near the coast to get easy kills, and hence freshspawns have trouble getting out of the towns. And some people are new to the game, they don't know any area outside of the spawnpoints.

Not anymore.

After almost 1200 posts I'd expect a bit more input than that... What does "not anymore mean?" There are still people in here trying to learn some stuff.

C'mon.

Edited by ENO75

This is a great point.  Generally, on low pop servers, you are looking at military spawn hunters.  They will be at the bases.  

I often kick around the Polana/Gorka region.  Close to the coast if I want to go there, or I can head further inland towards Vybor and NWAF.

I stay near the coast in general because that's where everyone else is. The game lacks significant challenge outside of pvp player interaction at currently so heading away from the coast will quickly cause me to become bored and quit the game as it has done on three different occasions since I started playing. If I leave the coast it is because I am looking for a crash site, or going to NWAF to get a new vest and some ammo/mags.