XWingExecuter

Reason to Walk

So in Dayz you run pretty much everywhere since there is no draw back to it other then weapon sway.  In real life that is not the case, you cant run indefinitely.  What I want to know is if the community would like to see more of a reason to walk like exhaustion that will slowly kill you, more damage to your shoes, and other things of the nature.  With the addition of vehicles I think that having to walk wouldn't be that bad of a thing to do.  What do you guys think?

• Like 1

Soon you will get a fatigue system that will limit the amount you can run. Weight should also be a factor to how long you can sustain a sprint. 

• Like 4

Walking already has one advantage many people seem to disregard. Our eyes detect movement quite well so the faster you move the easier you are to spot..

The amount of times i have been walking along through the woods and someone has run past me flat out like a world class sprinter on steriods with a lion chasing them , and not having even noticed me there is well pretty crazy . Hell id say 1/3 of the people i have stalked in game have run past me without seeing me (in the middle of nowhere and i am not hiding i am just walking using what ever cover there is in the shortest path possible.

EDIT thats not to say i dont want to see far more realistic reasons to walk like ankle/leg injuries. have you ever gone cross country running with full pack on carrying a weapon( or 2) a few wrong placed steps and bam your down and out ( and in a real survival situation an injury as minor as a sprained ankle CAN(not always depends on the situation requiring survival) make your odds of surviving alot worse but in a zed/infected apoc your screwed....

Edited by SoulFirez
  • Like 10

Walking already has one advantage many people seem to disregard. Our eyes detect movement quite well so the faster you move the easier you are to spot..

The amount of times i have been walking along through the woods and someone has run past me flat out like a world class sprinter on steriods with a lion chasing them , and not having even noticed me there is well pretty crazy . Hell id say 1/3 of the people i have stalked in game have run past me without seeing me (in the middle of nowhere and i am not hiding i am just walking using what ever cover there is in the shortest path possible.

EDIT thats not to say i dont want to see far more realistic reasons to walk like ankle/leg injuries. have you ever gone cross country running with full pack on carrying a weapon( or 2) a few wrong placed steps and bam your down and out ( and in a real survival situation an injury as minor as a sprained ankle CAN(not always depends on the situation requiring survival) make your odds of surviving alot worse but in a zed/infected apoc your screwed....

I've been hoping that objects can be hazardous obstacles.  Bursting into a house, tripping and knocking over chairs,  catching your foot on branches in the woods, stuff like that.

• Like 2

So in Dayz you run pretty much everywhere since there is no draw back to it other then weapon sway. In real life that is not the case, you cant run indefinitely. What I want to know is if the community would like to see more of a reason to walk like exhaustion that will slowly kill you, more damage to your shoes, and other things of the nature. With the addition of vehicles I think that having to walk wouldn't be that bad of a thing to do. What do you guys think?

I am all for realism, so I second this. But then I would expect a lot morr content everywhere a lot more Zeds to compensate for the shortened radius of movement.

This. You can spot a running player over great distances without much trouble. A walking player is much harder.

Also you won't trip as easily in buildings (castles, barns) and it allows you to move around without getting exhausted (sway/heavy breath).

Well I would not really want have to walk since it would be even slower then running... But i rather run then using a car.. I have hijacked already like 4 cars since yesterday and killed maybe 7 people that used cars just because they made too much sound and it was easy to tell what they were thinking and I could make a trap..

Well I would not really want have to walk since it would be even slower then running... But i rather run then using a car.. I have hijacked already like 4 cars since yesterday and killed maybe 7 people that used cars just because they made too much sound and it was easy to tell what they were thinking and I could make a trap..

The only way I see my idea working is with the addition of cars in there final state, not right now when they are all over the place so they can be tested. Im also not saying only walk. If you had to travel say 5 miles you could walk most of the way, jog some of it, and maybe run a small bit but not the whole thing.we need draw backs to countinuosly running.

I've been hoping that objects can be hazardous obstacles.  Bursting into a house, tripping and knocking over chairs,  catching your foot on branches in the woods, stuff like that.

I would really love that, but it would have to be done to absolute flawless execution and implementation to avoid being an absolute nightmare. Considering the amount of issues the engine and netcode already presents in terms of hitboxes, desynch, etc. i find it highly doubtful that it would work out well. i would under no circumstances want to be randomly breaking my leg for no good reason.

• Like 1

One thing I would like to see is having someone trip over their own legs if someone is making their player do full sprint 120 degree zigzags to avoid zombies/getting shot at/etc...  that should make you fall down lol

I like to live out my fantasy of being like that guy who ran a marathon every day for 100 days or so.

... my biggest pet peeve is the hill walking, on steep hills its sorta beyond silly slow.

The game is so much different when you're just walking everywhere as much as possible and I think it needs to be forced with a stamina/fatigue/weight system. I did walking only as much as possible in the winter experimental and Chernarus felt very different and much bigger. I really needed to plan ahead my very town change so I wouldn't starve, get thirsty and get cold.

I like to live out my fantasy of being like that guy who ran a marathon every day for 100 days or so.

... my biggest pet peeve is the hill walking, on steep hills its sorta beyond silly slow.

Fill your backpack with canned food then go run 2 miles. Then find a steep hill and run up it. Then run 2 more miles. Then come back and tell us if you feel the same way about the uphill movement speed.

Extra credit: do this all in long grass.

• Like 1

For sprinting through woods there should be a chance of breaking/twisting an ankle or tripping over at least.

• Like 1

For sprinting through woods there should be a chance of breaking/twisting an ankle or tripping over at least.

Ya, that's kind of what I was thinking

• Like 1

Fill your backpack with canned food then go run 2 miles. Then find a steep hill and run up it. Then run 2 more miles. Then come back and tell us if you feel the same way about the uphill movement speed.

Isn't that a normal morning of PT for a marine?  :lol:

Extra Extra Credit: When it's raining ;)

we need bicicles.....and longboards.....would be epic     ;)

This is the type of thing I would like to see before this is implemented, more forms of transportation like bikes.

The game is so much different when you're just walking everywhere as much as possible and I think it needs to be forced with a stamina/fatigue/weight system. I did walking only as much as possible in the winter experimental and Chernarus felt very different and much bigger. I really needed to plan ahead my very town change so I wouldn't starve, get thirsty and get cold.

This was totally the feel I was thinking of, needing to plan ahead for your trip, not having the supplies to say help someone you come across because you could starve before you get there, or not be able to divert to a different city to help a friend, you have to stop at your predetermined location.

Ya, that's kind of what I was thinking

I'm not saying it's a bad idea, but aren't there enough 'WTF did my leg just break' threads? ;)

I'm not saying it's a bad idea, but aren't there enough 'WTF did my leg just break' threads? ;)

At least this will be an actual reason ;)

I think my thread us being hijacked. But in other news Im actually talking about less reasons to run and more to walk.

Edited by XWingExecuter

The big advantage i think to walking will be the stealth system put in latter. They already stated in there developer blog they plan on increasing infected over the map. Probably allot in higher loot zones to. So walking will be much more crucial to survival and stealth probably. Its going to be like "Do i really want to run and attract over 10 infected i have just one pistol clip for with no more ammo for? Or should i risk being snipped to cross the area but have a bigger advantage from not getting caught by the infected AI?"

You may not know this guys, but there's a movement speed for jogging in the game. I've never seen anyone use it though.

All you have to do is hold W, if you double-tap it this won't work.

I'd enjoy jogging giving 0 negative effects with sprinting dehydrating you much faster or even something like an invisible stamina bar specifically for sprinting though. Sprinting should be reserved for emergencies.