XWingExecuter

Reason to Walk

I really doubt majority of players want to walk. It already takes a long time to get anywhere in this game.

Quite glad to see so much support for some type of stamina/realistic movement speed/weight based overhaul of the current gotta go fast movement.

Personally I think we need more movement speeds like Splinter Cell. I should be able to

Creep

Walk slow

Walk medium

Walk fast/yomp (This would be sustainable with gear - ask the Royal Marines)

Jog

Run

Sprint

Each of these would have different effects over time depending on your load. The yomp is a great one because it allows a fairly good speed with a load. You could even jog with a load and run and sprint if needed but the stamina system should also play in to reflect it.

Saying this, I don't want it to be "realistic" in the sense that it's not fun - it's still a game and we need to be able to a little more than our RL counterparts (We would be healthier for one thing) we just don't need ridiculous superhero's.

Unfortunately most devs don't even think about things like movement, giving us different speeds, not allowing us to 360 in a split second, etc, etc.

Oh and whilst I'm at it I'll just add off topic - Make a CANCEL ACTION for drinking. Fucking zombie hit me 4 times before I could do anything and there I am, like a dumbass, calmly sipping water "ooooh so nice *ooof*  and cool *owww* and such *arrgghh* A lovely day"

And how long would it take you if you walked the entire way?

So it's fun for you does not mean it's fun for all. That's the point you missed. Hardly anyone is playing DayZ to view rendered hills and trees for hours on end. If that's what you like, good for you. You can do it yourself all you want. But if the game were to force it upon the players, I promise you the game will die.

Good thing is that people of which game is dying because of "forced" walking won't be missed anyway. I guess all that serious misunderstanding of DayZ's concept is caused by the playable alpha state.

I'd love to see having your choice of food impacting stamina.

For example living of TacBacon only will get you exhausted faster than dining fresh fruit or vegetables.

Haven't played Mortal Online for a while but it's food > health > fatique system was kinda like that.

Also, MO been a niche game, too.

Edited by Buddy cASSino
  • Like 1

So what about an exauhstion system where depending on how much your carrying and how fast your moving you will slowly get exauhsted. The more exauhsted you get the slower you move until you just have to stop to catch your breath and take a break or pass out. This would allow for you to work your character real hard and not be resticted by a system like that in CoD.

I really doubt majority of players want to walk. It already takes a long time to get anywhere in this game.

Current movement speeds are ridiculous. The whole thing needs slowing right down. The majority of players want the game to be better, and slowing things down would make the game better.

Stamina and weight systems are confirmed features.

Current movement speeds are ridiculous. The whole thing needs slowing right down. The majority of players want the game to be better, and slowing things down would make the game better

Funny, because it does not seem to me that "the majority of players" are actually asking to slow down movement speed.

It seems, on the other hand, the overwhelming majority of the players simply don't give a damn about current movement speed being too fast/too slow or whatever in the middle.

Stamina and weight systems are confirmed features.

And we all thank the Gods for this. But SPECIFICALLY because stamina and weight system are going to be implemented mantaining current speed (or slowing it slightly) should be the logical choice. You know...considering that with weight and stamina people will not run or sprint 24/24 and all that there's no reason to further slow down movement. Just sayin'

Good thing is that people of which game is dying because of "forced" walking won't be missed anyway

I'd like to read what Bohemia stakolders (or owners) think about that. You know, gaming business being a business whose core idea is selling lots of products and actually make money. On a more serious note, I feel that the developers really can't be too heavy-handed on the survival mechanics: I personally would love to play an extremely detailed and realistic zombie survival simulator...but such a game would end up in an extremely niche market. Something along the old Master of Orion or the more modern Supreme Ruler games, extremely complex (and truly entertaining) titles enjoyed only by few people.

I seriously doubt Bohemia is aiming at a niche market. They're not going too "arcade" on the survival part, I'm sure of that...but I don't expect ultra-detailed or realistic survival mechanics, and don't feel anyone should realistically hope in that either.

Edited by DocWolf

Funny, because it does not seem to me that "the majority of players" are actually asking to slow down movement speed.

It seems, on the other hand, the overwhelming majority of the players simply don't give a damn about current movement speed being too fast/too slow or whatever in the middle.

And we all thank the Gods for this. But SPECIFICALLY because stamina and weight system are going to be implemented mantaining current speed (or slowing it slightly) should be the logical choice. You know...considering that with weight and stamina people will not run or sprint 24/24 and all that there's no reason to further slow down movement. Just sayin'

I'd like to read what Bohemia stakolders (or owners) think about that. You know, gaming business being a business whose core idea is selling lots of products and actually make money. On a more serious note, I feel that the developers really can't be too heavy-handed on the survival mechanics: I personally would love to play an extremely detailed and realistic zombie survival simulator...but such a game would end up in an extremely niche market. Something along the old Master of Orion or the more modern Supreme Ruler games, extremely complex (and truly entertaining) titles enjoyed only by few people.

I seriously doubt Bohemia is aiming at a niche market. They're not going too "arcade" on the survival part, I'm sure of that...but I don't expect ultra-detailed or realistic survival mechanics, and don't feel anyone should realistically hope in that either.

The most important thing from my point of view is that they alter the way movement works in terms of changes of direction. The top speed for running needs to be slowed a bit as well.

If you observe a reasonably high traffic area from afar using binoculars or a long range scope, the movement of players between buildings resembles flies buzzing around a picnic. They zoom from one place to the next and they have no momentum when changing direction. It's pretty stupid, and it doesn't lend itself to good gameplay. It's harder to meet people if everyone is in and out of a town inside 2 minutes.

From my point of view, slowing things down is not about making the game more realistic for the sake of it - it's not about making people suffer just because. For me it would really tie all the gameplay elements together and make for a much more interesting experience overall.

• Like 1

And how long would it take you if you walked the entire way?

So it's fun for you does not mean it's fun for all. That's the point you missed. Hardly anyone is playing DayZ to view rendered hills and trees for hours on end. If that's what you like, good for you. You can do it yourself all you want. But if the game were to force it upon the players, I promise you the game will die.

O.K.  Why exactly do you play this game?  I am just curious since you are under so many time constrictions and such.

Edited by SwitchSL

O.K.  Why exactly do you play this game?

To run to an airfield, get guns and go pew pew pew in Berezino  :rolleyes:

LoL.  I meant Grindstone.  He says he doesn't have much time to play 5+ hour sessions, but his stream channel leads me to believe otherwise.  I mean his wife streams too so when he says his busy life prevents him from gaming, and I see his family actually puts a lot of time into gaming...  You get my point?  He's full of shit and walking will suit him just fine XD

LoL.  I meant Grindstone.  He says he doesn't have much time to play 5+ hour sessions, but his stream channel leads me to believe otherwise.  I mean his wife streams too so when he says his busy life prevents him from gaming, and I see his family actually puts a lot of time into gaming...  You get my point?  He's full of shit and walking will suit him just fine XD

Oh I know, but that's the game that people want, run to airfield, get gunz go pew pew pew.

Walking already has one advantage many people seem to disregard. Our eyes detect movement quite well so the faster you move the easier you are to spot..

This.

I see even camo'ed players instantly if they are sprinting.

This.

I see even camo'ed players instantly if they are sprinting.

People seemingly forget that, to our metabolisms and senses, human beings are still stone-age hunter-gatherers. 

Humans are predators. Our eyes are instinctively attracted to movement, especially movement which implies "fleeing" or "weakness" , such as running, stumbling, twitching, etc. Humans also have a "chase instinct", not as developed as dogs, but enough to make us focus on weakened and injured prey. Walking, crouching, and moving from cover to cover essentially "fools" our instincts, and we are much less likely to focus on someone sneaking around vs them running around screaming. Hence, the old "bait and switch".