Sign in to follow this  
Irish.

Im really loving the new ghillie camo..

I kinda think the hood and gun wrap could use a bit of a negative effect.  They seem to have no drawbacks and offer a lot of camo.  For the most part, when you're prone sniping, only the front of you (face/gun) is exposed any ways, so there doesn't seem like a whole lot of need for the full suit.

I do like that you can't wear a pack with the full suit, I just fear that people will never bother because the hood/gun wrap will be good enough and in that regard that everyone will be wearing/using them.  Just like it's pretty standard that everyone just uses camo/military gear because there's no drawbacks and only benefits.

I don't think the game should be perfectly balanced as things in real life aren't, but I just don't want to see certain things being completely better than everything else which this seems like it has the potential to become.

I kinda think the hood and gun wrap could use a bit of a negative effect.  They seem to have no drawbacks and offer a lot of camo. 

They do fairly seriously cut down your view if you play in 1st only.. which I do solely almost. 

The gun wrap especially.. I lost all vision behind my left shoulder once I applied it. The head wrap has some small obstruction, nothing really.. but there is a touch there and it makes sense it does not block you more..

To those saying they should have more negative affect. I get it, people will snipe you.. I think you'll see netting being quite rare very soon here because of this. But on to the vision thing you all are bringing up.. see Ive worn them in real life, and the entire point is concealment with vision as the primary objective. So it does not block your vision by design and default. 

See this image? Its a USMC Scout Sniper. He has either been spotted or they called off the drill, so he has popped up. The point is you can see that his entire face is unobstructed. If he turns his head, the ghillie flexes with that turn still allowing him an unobstructed view. In game, it works the same way. 

0710.jpg

Edited by lrish

I'm not saying it because "people will snipe me" but because I think gameplay becomes dull if one item has all benefits and no drawbacks.  Which the hood seems like it could potentially have.  I just hope they're mindful of it, because if 90% of people end up running around in ghillie hoods it's going to just be dull.

I think it's already incredibly boring that 90% of people are running around in full military gear because it 1) has the most inventory 2) best camo 3) best protection both for combat and weather.

That's realistic, that's what this gear is designed for, but it makes for dull gameplay.  There's multiple ways to adjust that, one is making these items simply more rare like you suggest with the netting which is probably fine.  I don't think netting would really be that rare though, so maybe they should just add extra steps to crafting it.

I'm sure there's a real life reason why we don't throw ghillie hoods on all our troops.

I mean it's too early to tell, so we'll see if it's even an issue.

How about you?

oaCgD3J.jpg

With persistence I think it will be nice to have to drop your pack, to don your full suit.. which you'll either have to wear around or hide to retrieve later. Sounds like a ton of fun.. I personally like the head piece and Mosin camo right now. Look great on your character, and offer a ton of camo without any drawbacks (except in urban, lol) 

Dude you look like swamp thing... lol

• Like 1

I'm not saying it because "people will snipe me" but because I think gameplay becomes dull if one item has all benefits and no drawbacks. Which the hood seems like it could potentially have. I just hope they're mindful of it, because if 90% of people end up running around in ghillie hoods it's going to just be dull.

I think it's already incredibly boring that 90% of people are running around in full military gear because it 1) has the most inventory 2) best camo 3) best protection both for combat and weather.

That's realistic, that's what this gear is designed for, but it makes for dull gameplay. There's multiple ways to adjust that, one is making these items simply more rare like you suggest with the netting which is probably fine. I don't think netting would really be that rare though, so maybe they should just add extra steps to crafting it.

I'm sure there's a real life reason why we don't throw ghillie hoods on all our troops.

I mean it's too early to tell, so we'll see if it's even an issue.

An easy and realistic way to discourage rampant use of the ghilli suit is to tie it with the overheating and future stamina mechanics.

Running around in a heavy , very hot ghilli should not only overheat the player but in the future tire them super fast.

I would like to add that if the zombies are attracted to players via smell the ghillie suit wearers should attract zombies far easier.

The suits are hot and stinky the person inside would be sweating heavily.

Edited by gibonez
  • Like 2

An easy and realistic way to discourage rampant use of the ghilli suit is to tie it with the overheating and future stamina mechanics.

Running around in a heavy , very hot ghilli should not only overheat the player but in the future tire them super fast.

That's what I'm thinking and maybe some slight dexterity penalties on the gun movement from the wrap.

That's what I'm thinking and maybe some slight dexterity penalties on the gun movement from the wrap.

I would imagine the wrap could obscure some of the sight picture when looking down a scope. This would work as a possible downside of the wraps

I can tell some folks are getting a little nervous about the ghillie suits, talking about nerfs already hasn't even hit stable yet. There will not be as nearly as many hackers .51 (not that there was that many to begin with), so now people will blame there deaths ghillie suited players and demand nerfs....please dont tell me this is were its heading forums... <_<

The reality is I think most player prefer having a back pack, so probably will not want to have the full suit anyways. It prob will not be as bad as some think. Just a lil more camo. My prefered play style is a scout/sniper, and honestly I have been waiting for this a long time. But I prob will not go with the full suit most of the time. Just head peice and rifle rap...I like having a back pack to much. I think theres many players who will not be so willing to give up a back pack to have the full suit.

Edited by CJFlint
  • Like 1

I have yet to actually face anyone on exp in a ghillie suit. I don't see what all the fuss is about. If anything it's an alternative to the "get military gear" mindset which allows you to find a more "natural" camo without setting foot in a military base. I like the way they have balanced it so far with the inability to wear a backpack with the top, inability to wear protective headgear (IE: Ballistic helmet or my fav: motor helmet to prevent knockouts), and the fact that it's an item you have to craft. I do admit I hope to see heating up more as a result of wearing the ghillie suit but I don't think much else is needed since the trade off with this equipment is already the loss of inventory and loss of protection.

I can tell folks are getting a little nervous about the ghillie suits, talking about nerfs already hasn't even hit stable yet. There will not be as nearly as many hackers .51 (not that there was that many to begin with), so now people will blame there deaths ghillie suited players and demand nerfs....please dont tell me this is were its heading forums...  <_<

The reality is I think most player prefer having a back pack, so probably will not want to have the full suit. It prob will not be as bad as some think. Just a lil more camo. My prefered play style is a scout/sniper, and honestly I have been waiting for this a long time. But I prob will not go with the full suit most of the time. Just head peice and rifle rap...I like having a back pack to much. I think theres many players who will not be so willing to give up a back pack to have the full suit.

I agree with this, I don't usually run into super leet snipers in ghillies on exp nor do I on stable. I suspect a large portion of gamers like to either hoard their grenades, ammo, and food and would want a backpack. I also would think a large portion of gamers like to do quick gaming styles such as get any gun you can, get out of starving/thirsty and look for people to interact with and not waste their time with difficult craftable items.

Edited by Maia
  • Like 1

It's not about being afraid of ghillies or hackers but about injecting some real life very sensible negatives to the suit.

In real life the ghillies would be idiotic in a survival situation. Hot, smell bad,you have decomposing organic plant matter on you that could potentially infect any open wounds. It's a very situational item that should be mirrored in the game.

• Like 1

I'm not saying it because "people will snipe me" but because I think gameplay becomes dull if one item has all benefits and no drawbacks. 

Only that first part was towards you Borom, the rest for the other commenters on the topic they brought up ;)

you have decomposing organic plant matter on you that could potentially infect any open wounds. 

I mean.. you craft it with burlap and netting man.. no grass.

If you're going to talk about the game, lets talk about the game.. not some odd real life context in relation to the game. Its not real life.

Its DeanZ life. 

I mean.. you craft it with burlap and netting man.. no grass.

If you're going to talk about the game, lets talk about the game.. not some odd real life context in relation to the game. Its not real life.

Its DeanZ life.

Yet the in-game model quite obviously uses grass or shrubbery.

The use of grass is implied and even if it weren't full of decaying plants the extra perspiration of the suit will surely increase the risk of infection.

• Like 1

I have yet to actually face anyone on exp in a ghillie suit. I don't see what all the fuss is about. If anything it's an alternative to the "get military gear" mindset which allows you to find a more "natural" camo without setting foot in a military base. I like the way they have balanced it so far with the inability to wear a backpack with the top, inability to wear protective headgear (IE: Ballistic helmet or my fav: motor helmet to prevent knockouts), and the fact that it's an item you have to craft. I do admit I hope to see heating up more as a result of wearing the ghillie suit but I don't think much else is needed since the trade off with this equipment is already the loss of inventory and loss of protection.

I agree with this, I don't usually run into super leet snipers in ghillies on exp nor do I on stable. I suspect a large portion of gamers like to either hoard their grenades, ammo, and food and would want a backpack. I also would think a large portion of gamers like to do quick gaming styles such as get any gun you can, get out of starving/thirsty and look for people to interact with and not waste their time with difficult craftable items.

Well to be honest as far as players that use the mosin goes, generally its prefered to shoot at 500 meters or more, doing over watch anyways. So your barely visible anyways. Ghillie suit would really just seal the deal even more. Most of the time I have been shoot at or discovered has been when I'm running around, or looking for loot. Not when Im up on hill scaning anyways. Thats with out the ghillie suit too.

You know what group of players I would be concerned of even more with the ghillie suit is fucking bandits. Is the guys with m4s or akms abushing people. Man oh man....you could just have a couple budys laying along side a road.......bang bang bang bang....they would even know what hit em. But even that would not really serve a purpose...other then just being dicks, it really would not change things more then they already are in regards to banditry

We will see. I can see players probably doing it, but I think when .51 hits stable.....But I really think players are more excited about the truck LOL 

I predict not everyone will go for the full suit, and it prob will not be that big of a deal, there already is plenty of ways to hide from players anyways right? I will just be one more way. And players will have to give up there back pack to take full adavantage of it...So they will have to lose something....atleast temp.

Edited by CJFlint

Well to be honest as far as players that use the mosin goes, generally its prefered to shoot at 500 meters or more, doing over watch anyways. So your barely visible anyways. Ghillie suit would really just seal the deal even more. Most of the time I have been shoot at or discovered has been when I'm running around, or looking for loot. Not when Im up on hill scaning anyways. Thats with out the ghillie suit too.

You know what group of players I would be concerned of even more with the ghillie suit is fucking bandits. Is the guys with m4s or akms abushing people. Man oh man....you could just have a couple budys laying along side a road.......bang bang bang bang....they would even know what hit em. But even that would not really serve a purpose...other then just being dicks, it really would not change things more then they already are in regards to banditry

We will see. I can see players probably doing it, but I think when .51 hits stable.....But I really think players are more excited about the truck LOL 

I predict not everyone will go for the full suit, and it prob will not be that big of a deal, there already is plenty of ways to hide from players anyways right? I will just be one more way. And players will have to give up there back pack to take full adavantage of it...So they will have to lose something....atleast temp.

I would love to see bandits using the ghillie in ambush type situations. I actually would enjoy seeing that lol It will be a rare occurrence though.

I agree, not everyone will go for ghillie. Most will not go for ghillie. I think a few will but ultimately it's a pain in the butt to find netting and like 4 burlap sacks everytime you die before you go out and kill people or whatever lol

It's not about being afraid of ghillies or hackers but about injecting some real life very sensible negatives to the suit.

In real life the ghillies would be idiotic in a survival situation. Hot, smell bad,you have decomposing organic plant matter on you that could potentially infect any open wounds. It's a very situational item that should be mirrored in the game.

Oh JESUS, yes to that last part.

So far pretty much everyone in this thread has said they'll just forgo the chest piece and only use the wrap and head piece.  That's the issue imo from a purely gameplay standpoint.

So far pretty much everyone in this thread has said they'll just forgo the chest piece and only use the wrap and head piece. That's the issue imo from a purely gameplay standpoint.

Yea creates a problem. Only two solutions for this imo.

Either every piece has it's own set of negatives or wearing one piece automatically places the negative of not being able to wear a backpack meaning even if you wear a headpiece only you cannot have a backpack.

Before anyone says hey that's an artificial balance . So is the chest piece not being able to have one either. There is nothing physically stopping someone from putting on a backpack on top of the chest piece but the drawback is still there because it makes for good gameplay.

I can see people just running around with the hats on lol the topss are a pain in the butt to make. 4 Burlap Sack (strips) and 2 netting for the incomplete top or 6 and 2 for the complete top. Stack that with 2 and 1 for a wrap and 2 and 1 for a hat and that's like 10 burlap sacks and 4 netting for a complete set.

I would love to see bandits using the ghillie in ambush type situations. I actually would enjoy seeing that lol It will be a rare occurrence though.

I agree, not everyone will go for ghillie. Most will not go for ghillie. I think a few will but ultimately it's a pain in the butt to find netting and like 4 burlap sacks everytime you die before you go out and kill people or whatever lol

Oh I think its prob happened already maybe. Yes it would be a great tool in many respects. But like we said it prob will be just some people that will do it, at least at 1st.

Well a ghillie suit also be used by the solo players as well, it could keep you hidden were before you could have been ganged up on, which is vary positive....Its not just something that will be used by the ass hole players...sometimes I think the ass hole players prob would be the ones not to have the patience to make one :lol:  I'm kind of glad this has been added....As much as I don't like to admit, I have been in those situations were more then one players attempted to gang up on me more then one time playing solo. Its a shitty feeling having that happen if you end up they get the better of you.

Another thing I excited about is there adding other stealth mechanics like being able to hide from zombies, and sneak up on them. There limiting there vis, and making them so they will not be just agroed by you walking 100 feet from them.  I heard about some other stealth mechanics there adding as well. 

Edited by CJFlint

Um, how well does this work camo-wise when, beyond a certain distance, grass doesn't render, so you just look like a strangely shaped bush?

Yea creates a problem. Only two solutions for this imo.

Either every piece has it's own set of negatives or wearing one piece automatically places the negative of not being able to wear a backpack meaning even if you wear a headpiece only you cannot have a backpack.

Before anyone says hey that's an artificial balance . So is the chest piece not being able to have one either. There is nothing physically stopping someone from putting on a backpack on top of the chest piece but the drawback is still there because it makes for good gameplay.

Every step away from simulation is a step in the wrong direction imho. I don't want a fair/balanced dayZ. i want the most hardcore, most brutal, most realistic simulation possible. imho being fired at with a shotgun if your in the same room should be insta death. period. also 1pp only- and reduce the rate of thirst and hunger then make canned food/drinks rare a gold. i want to feel like leaving behind a canteen for an extra mag may end up being a FATAL decision.

No playstyle should be balanced/nerfed/encouraged/or discouraged. ever. all possible factors should be made as accurate-to-life as possible without exception.

Edited by Sovetsky

all possible factors should be made as accurate-to-life as possible without exception.

I agree to this up to a point. Though there are some situations that call for breaks from reality because of the overall format. Hunger, thirst etc. are good examples - in reality they affect you 24/7 if you are active or not. In DayZ they only affect a few hours of gameplay per week. So the give them appropiate impact they have to be sped up. Its less realistic but more authentic.

Now in terms of balance accurate representations should work well in DayZ because of the games design. So just giving the Ghillie suitable effects on temperature (it should be pretty warm), stamina/movement (not the most practical items for running around) and weight should do the job and maybe tweaking the amount of resources needed.

The current pieces got their own disadvantages right now:

• the hood makes you appear bigger and does not allow for a helmet, its also not too effective on its own
  • the wrap does not do much on its own but conceal your weapon (might eventually slightly increase weapon sway/decrease dexterity)
  • the other pices need quite some resources and disallow for a backpack but do the most in terms of camouflage

I would like to add that if the zombies are attracted to players via smell the ghillie suit wearers should attract zombies far easier.

The suits are hot and stinky the person inside would be sweating heavily.

Ghillie suits are used when you're stationary. Moving around in them should involve massive penalties. Another one could be the more you run around with it, the more it degrades. Laying still should have no issues.