r4z0r49

DayZ Mod 1.8.3

I like the way that activites effect your hunger and thirst levels, running, fueling etc, that system works. What doesn't work and could use some tweaking is the value of energy that gained from certain types of food.

Cans seem to be on point, I would not change those. But meat? Eating an entire cow or goat and still being hungry is a bit odd. I'm not certain what the values are but I would like to see them at least doubled. Meat is full of calories, vitamines and minerals along with protien which are great for restoring energy. Right now I feel like they simply don't give you enough. Imagine if you ate 4 steaks IRL? You'd throw up but more importantly you'd be full after the first one...

just my 2cents.

Keep up the good work devs,

Hmm this would be an easier fix than more spawns. I agree.

food system is great, my suggestion for tweaking the values would be (as someone mentioned already): double the amount of "calories" all food gives + reduce food spawns by 50% or something like that. see how that works out and go from there with little adjustments to the spawn rate.

How do we use the crate? I crafted one yesterday with help of 6 wood piles and nails, but got no clue how this one works. Can I use it as permanent storage like a tent and hide it?

food system is great, my suggestion for tweaking the values would be (as someone mentioned already): double the amount of "calories" all food gives + reduce food spawns by 50% or something like that. see how that works out and go from there with little adjustments to the spawn rate.

I think the spawn rate is fine as it is if they adjust the values. Currently the loot spawns are extremely low (3-5 cans of food/soda in an entire town if you're lucky?). Just adjusting the values would balance it out more in my opinion..

Edited by Borges

I think the spawn rate is fine as it is if they adjust the values. Currently the loot spawns are extremely low (3-5 cans of food/soda in an entire town if you're lucky?). Just adjusting the values would balance it out more in my opinion..

I kind of like the loot spawn rate being low. It really encourages other methods of survival such as hunting. It seems realistic.

• Like 1

I kind of like the loot spawn rate being low. It really encourages other methods of survival such as hunting. It seems realistic.

I like it low too, but I think the way it is now is perfect. Any lower would really suck, especially for food. That's why I think just adjusting the food calorie gain alone would be fine. No reason to cut down the spawns even more there wouldn't be anything left lol.

at the moment it only takes up so many inventory slots carrying all that meat. regarding availability of food, if you know where to hunt it's no problem. for my taste food spawns could be even a little bit lower. and animals could be faster so you'd have to shoot them :)

did anyone (halfway experienced) actually die of starvation?

Edited by phL

at the moment it only takes up so many inventory slots carrying all that meat. regarding availability of food, if you know where to hunt it's no problem. for my taste food spawns could be even a little bit lower. and animals could be faster so you'd have to shoot them :)

did anyone (halfway experienced) actually die of starvation?

I died of thirst once cause I logged in with really low water, but could not find a single soda in the entire balota area. I mean what the hell mang.

Edited by Borges

I find it easier to hunt along the coastal areas like on the hillside near Kamarovo. They're more spread out now than it was before. It's easier to find animals beyond the coast.

I like the way that activites effect your hunger and thirst levels, running, fueling etc, that system works. What doesn't work and could use some tweaking is the value of energy that gained from certain types of food.

Cans seem to be on point, I would not change those. But meat? Eating an entire cow or goat and still being hungry is a bit odd. I'm not certain what the values are but I would like to see them at least doubled. Meat is full of calories, vitamines and minerals along with protien which are great for restoring energy. Right now I feel like they simply don't give you enough. Imagine if you ate 4 steaks IRL? You'd throw up but more importantly you'd be full after the first one...

just my 2cents.

Keep up the good work devs,

At this point the question becomes whether you value the game mechanic or realism more.  Sure, it's absurd to still be hungry after eating a few steaks (I've never had to eat a whole cow before...I think 4 is the max I've needed to get in the safe zone), but if you double it to make it more realistic, it goes back to being fairly simple to traverse the entire map with just a few pieces of meat again.  I LOVE the fact that I really have to be intentional about hunting now.  Honestly, I only ever carry maybe 4 pieces of either goat/sheep/cow meat with me (or two pieces of rabbit meat), and just make sure to eat any cans of food I find while moving across the map.

• Like 1

At this point the question becomes whether you value the game mechanic or realism more.  Sure, it's absurd to still be hungry after eating a few steaks (I've never had to eat a whole cow before...I think 4 is the max I've needed to get in the safe zone), but if you double it to make it more realistic, it goes back to being fairly simple to traverse the entire map with just a few pieces of meat again.  I LOVE the fact that I really have to be intentional about hunting now.  Honestly, I only ever carry maybe 4 pieces of either goat/sheep/cow meat with me (or two pieces of rabbit meat), and just make sure to eat any cans of food I find while moving across the map.

Along with that, its already hard enough/depletes over time to find the things you need to gather the meat and cook it. I like this approach of having the meats increased their hunger values by double.

Edit: How about an option of wiping players' injuries to prevent sepsis and gain humanity but have a time limit before you can gain humanity again for obvious reasons.

Edited by TIC321
  • Like 1

Hi everyone.

I've got a few questions about recent updates and stuff.

Humanity and killing bandits - how exactly does it work today? I've noticed me and my friends were gaining humanity from killing bandits when we had low humanity but this stops all together after reaching +1000 or +1500 humanity. I know humanity system is kinda broken but I was just wondering if this is fixable? Can humanity on killing bandits be more consistent?

Survivor skins - so since the last patch there's only one survivor skin? The bright/beige one? Was just wondering why? From afar it's very similar to the bandit skin and it doesn't really give you any advantage of being a survivor unlike when we had the dark survivor skins and it was easier to hide in trees and dark which I think was fair for people who aren't maniacally KoS-ing everyone everywhere.

Loot - were the ALICE pack and L85 totally removed from loot tables? I think the ALICE pack was pretty cool and I haven't seen it since the 1.8.1 update at all. If it does still exist where does it spawn? All I see now is a bunch of patrol packs everywhere. I think the ALICE pack should come back for some more variety.

Also I haven't seen an L85 in a long long time. Don't know what happened to it.

Hi everyone.

I've got a few questions about recent updates and stuff.

Humanity and killing bandits - how exactly does it work today? I've noticed me and my friends were gaining humanity from killing bandits when we had low humanity but this stops all together after reaching +1000 or +1500 humanity. I know humanity system is kinda broken but I was just wondering if this is fixable? Can humanity on killing bandits be more consistent?

Survivor skins - so since the last patch there's only one survivor skin? The bright/beige one? Was just wondering why? From afar it's very similar to the bandit skin and it doesn't really give you any advantage of being a survivor unlike when we had the dark survivor skins and it was easier to hide in trees and dark which I think was fair for people who aren't maniacally KoS-ing everyone everywhere.

Loot - were the ALICE pack and L85 totally removed from loot tables? I think the ALICE pack was pretty cool and I haven't seen it since the 1.8.1 update at all. If it does still exist where does it spawn? All I see now is a bunch of patrol packs everywhere. I think the ALICE pack should come back for some more variety.

Also I haven't seen an L85 in a long long time. Don't know what happened to it.

You don't gain any humanity for killing bandits. When you're in negative humanity, there is an auto humanity regeneration system in place that stops at 0. It regenerates slow. As for the alice pack, I'm curious as well. 

I know the British Assault pack is still there as I've gotten it, however I haven't seen the alice or survival acu packs at all. L85's only spawn at heli crashes I think.

Edited by Borges

I like finding fishing poles.  It's not nearly as difficult as it sounds.  Go along the coast and rummage around the canoes on the coast.  Once you locate and make a mental note of key wells hydration isn't a problem even without all the tools to boil water.  North of Electro, Pusta has a well.  It's normally quite and you can drink in peace with the exception of the rowdy townies (zombies).  There is a few residentials and a long barn where you might find some food and other gear.  I normally by pass the nonsense that happens in Electro and go up north to Pusta.

• Like 3

I like finding fishing poles.  It's not nearly as difficult as it sounds.  Go along the coast and rummage around the canoes on the coast.  

Do fishing poles only spawn in canoes?

Separate topic here:

What's killing me right now are the 5 uses with matches and hunting knives. I wish it could be bumped up to 10. I know you can hold a 5 pack and 4 pack but damn they're hard to find sometimes.

Edited by Borges

i would love to have a more in-depth firemaking system.

-matches are stockable up to like 30-40 in one box.

-you find boxes with 0-10 matches left and collect them

-making fire costs 1-6 matches (at random - or better depending on weather e.g. while raining it costs 5-6 matches, shortly after rain 2-4 and while sunny 1-3)

-having a piece of paper reduces matches needed by 30%

-having a book reduces matches needed by 60%

something like that :)

Edited by phL
  • Like 2

The backpacks exist in the game, they are much harder to find though.. I manage to find them all. I currently have the Czech pack right now. You find them in military barracks mostly. For the L85 I have only found them once in 1.8.2. I haven't found one in 1.8.3 yet.

You don't gain any humanity for killing bandits. When you're in negative humanity, there is an auto humanity regeneration system in place that stops at 0. It regenerates slow. As for the alice pack, I'm curious as well. 

I know the British Assault pack is still there as I've gotten it, however I haven't seen the alice or survival acu packs at all. L85's only spawn at heli crashes I think.

I'm sure you do gain humanity for killing bandits, but it's so rare it seems you never do. But I know I've got some humanity boosts for killing bandits and so did my friends, but it's so irregular. And the auto humanity regeneration seemed to work for me until I reached around 1500+ humanity, then it stopped. So I'm not sure how that works either.

The backpacks exist in the game, they are much harder to find though.. I manage to find them all. I currently have the Czech pack right now. You find them in military barracks mostly. For the L85 I have only found them once in 1.8.2. I haven't found one in 1.8.3 yet.

You sure you found the ALICE pack? I've found or seen on other survivors all backpacks since the 1.8.1 update except the ALICE pack. If it does exist then it's extremely rare. More than the big coyote backpack even as I've seen players with this backpack but not the ALICE pack. Which doesn't make sense since the ALICE pack only has 16 slots. Why not make it like 17 slots, one more slot than the ACU survival and make it a bit more rare than it but still possible to find?

The only Alice Packs I've seen have been with players that have spawned them in. I could be wrong but think they are gone.

I'm sure you do gain humanity for killing bandits, but it's so rare it seems you never do. But I know I've got some humanity boosts for killing bandits and so did my friends, but it's so irregular. And the auto humanity regeneration seemed to work for me until I reached around 1500+ humanity, then it stopped. So I'm not sure how that works either.

As already discussed, humanity natrually gains over time until you reach 0. You do not get humanity for killing bandits.

regarding Alice Packs.. I have not seen them spawned since 1.8.1.

Suggestion for 1.8.4 or 5.

I'd like to be able to ignite the trash piles / roadblocks on fire much like the tire piles in the Big Red industrial buildings. Nighttime can be very dark and having the ability to light up these junk piles / roadblocks would help light up towns at night and really add to the post apocalyptic feel. Of course make it so you need a match to light them.

Edited by m0tzilla

The other day I had -1600 humanity and I killed a guy, then had -2600..played for like 20 minutes, then logged off. Next day I log in with -1600 again, so bugs are possible. Regarding bandits, never in dayz vanilla history have you ever got humanity for killing bandits. Killed two yesterday and didn't receive anything as I was checking constantly for the next hour or two. Nothing.

Edited by Borges
  • Like 1

I don't understand why you don't gain humanity from a bandit and yet we lose humanity if we kill a hero or survivor?

It's common that way on non-vanilla servers. And it's a good thing, because it makes people hunt for bandits.

Problem: Bandits kill everyone, including other bandits. If there are only a few other bandits, they will lose humanity by killing mainly survivors or heroes.

But if there are many other bandits around, all bandits will not have high negative humanity by constantly killing each other.

Hard to think of an elegant solution... I thought about losing your victims humanity (some percentage of it) but that calculation has to be balanced, so

that you turn bandit/hero in a fair amount of kills.