r4z0r49

DayZ Mod 1.8.3

Was nice to see a few more peps on the server today.

Hydration – I was not aware that items carried had an effect on this, when i saw it the other day i had a jerry can on me. What I think I saw was I had drunk till the hud said I was full, but I think this is shown when thirst is less than 100 rather than when you are actual full. Today starting at grish with 0 hunger and thirst a ran the 4000 odd meters to gorka used about 300 water, drank to 0 thirst and picked up a jerry can then ran the 1000 meters to pol and used about 300 water again so all seems okay.

Had an odd moment at the train near the quarry, z's managed to break my legs while I was looting the train. Now while testing dev builds on facoptere's server I had the z's break my legs twice within 6 meters of the same point....I was wondering if there is some iffy collisions around that point. If you think its worth a look lmk and i'll stick the location in a bug on github.

I'll try and get time to check that out

I'm trying to gather the bits to test the gate atm, is ItemPadlock an industrial spawn? - edit ahha! they spawn at castles, just need to find one now

Do you want the quarry/leg break issue in github?

Edited by Detoeni

For the zombies I like less damage (hard to tell what the optimal values should be) made, and dislike the increased hit rate. I actually don't think they should hit you if you run past them but with space between, like 2 meters. They are already glitching enough with hits hitting longer than your crowbar can reach. Fine if you run really close to them, and they are pointing in your direction they should have the chance of hitting you. But not sure about the current increased values. At the same time it evens out with the other pos so overall they are probably less of a threat but more annoying.

I probably like zombies increased to 1k as well as the spawn radius, as long as not too much performance is lost.

May be testing more throughout but doubt I have the time to get as far to try cars, bloodbags and the wooden gates (very curious about them gates though, if someone tries it please make a vid).

Hey!

Played some today as well and found a bug with the Comfrey Leafs. Other then that I liked it, it seems stable and the fact you fixed so many things gives an overall good feeling of playing it. I will try to get on some more.

To the bug: 

Just by being near Comfrey Leafs makes the character start the harvesting (bandaging) animation without actually harvesting anything. The only way to stop it is to turn away from it. I was not able to harvest anything. It's almost like they suck you in! 

See video:

I left the UAZ working on Klen by the way.

Cheers
Edited by vinyljunkie

Aye that's my fault i added the animation a few dayz ago without reading the hole script i didn't realize the script was changed in the way it had been. I'll be changing it back to 1.8.3 i really don't like what its doing in 1.8.3 but i don't have time to redo it just now so no animation to gather plants. Unless the original script owner gets time or someone else does.

• Like 1

i'll do a new test build at the weekend i still have to wait for my contact at BIS to return to work on the 9th before i find anything out about a release.

• Like 2

me and my squadmates tested the other night and were able to find a few bugs. I'm adding the relevant ones to github, but I've also put them here for discussion.

• You can spam upgrade tent to skip animations as long as you have the required parts in your main inventory
  • When bandaging another player, either player can walk away without interrupting the bandaging process.
  • Cannot apply sepsis bandages to other players in need of bandaging.
  • After you light a wood pile and let the fire burn out completely, you can still re-ignite the fire without adding new wood to it.
    • Additionally - if you relight the fire after the first fire has fully extinguished on its own, at some point during the second burn the fireplace model disappears leaving the player with a floating fire that you cannot put out as the fire model is what holds the action menu; presumably it could be disappearing due to a cleanup event.
  • We noticed a few recently dead players that the fly sound would not play. Other did (needs more testing as we could not see a pattern during our test session)
  • When destroying tents, the fire is only client side as other players around cannot see the fire from the tent, only the flattened tent model  on the ground.
  • Zed were not spawning at all crash sites (more testing needed)
  • Tents and Stashes shift slightly when upgrading (old bug). Would be nice if they stayed in place much like it does when upgrading the wood or metal fences (which do not shift when upgrading)
  • When upgrading fences, if the player initiates the upgrade in the wrong spot, they can receive massive amounts of damage and possibly die when the upgraded model appears. If the new upgraded model clips the player; (e.g., the metal fence upgrade that puts the diagonal metal beams, and also when you upgrade to add the ladder.)   
  • Players can arm bear traps but they nothing happens when players walk over it.
  • This could be specific to the server that we tested on, but pressing F10 kicked the players to lobby.
  • Like 1

1, You can spam upgrade tent to skip animations as long as you have the required parts in your main inventory.
 -- Let me take a look into that.

2, When bandaging another player, either player can walk away without interrupting the bandaging process.

-- Bandage process has never had any sort of interrupt system the animation only runs once on the player giving the bandage but its instant on the player getting healed.

3, Cannot apply sepsis bandages to other players in need of bandaging.

-- Never been in game its on our todo list at some point

4, After you light a wood pile and let the fire burn out completely, you can still re-ignite the fire without adding new wood to it

-- This one is interesting the fire system has not been changed from 1.8.3 only the action to use it has. So it seems this is an 1.8.3 issue.

-- Edit, Seems someone removed the monitor system for fires :-(

5, Tents and Stashes shift slightly when upgrading (old bug). Would be nice if they stayed in place much like it does when upgrading the wood or metal fences (which do not shift when upgrading).

-- Tents and Stashes use the same system as building fences. Ill see if theres anything we can do to improve without replacing the dll's

6, When destroying tents, the fire is only client side as other players around cannot see the fire from the tent, only the flattened tent model  on the ground.

-- This is already on the todo list.

Thanks m0tzilla.

• Like 2

I have a question about the parts necessary to rebuild vehicles.  I may be remembering wrong, but I thought that a couple years back when I first started playing on the public hive servers that vehicles spawned with no fuel and 0% health on all items which required you to find an engine, fuel parts, a jerry can, and 4 tires to get it running.  Repairing the glass and hull were optional but useful to survive being shot at.  Currently, on US434 and other vanilla servers I have played on, vehicles spawn with some fuel in the tank and a working engine and fuel parts (both 80% damaged), requiring only 4 wheels to get the vehicle on the road.  Similarly, airplanes spawn with 1/2 or 3/4 full fuel tank, requiring absolutely no work to get in the air.

Am I remembering the public hive mechanics wrong, or did things change when all the former public hive servers loaded the private hive defaults.  Or is it a step further than that and server admins have tweaked what vehicles spawn with to make it easier?

As far as I can remember it was always supposed to be random, not always 0% fuel and 0% on any part. The way it is at the moment is the way it was supposed to be all along.

Okay.  Thanks for answering.  Currently in the vanilla servers I've been playing on vehicles always spawn with 80% damaged engine, 80% damaged fuel parts, and no tires, and I don't recall having to find jerry cans to get anything up and running other than a helicopter.

Your dont have the original hive files you have some made up ones for private owners.

I'm still not happy with the blood bag system so you will probably see one set of the blood bags removed in favor of just using one type bags  that does both self and transfusions. It's a little two much now with two different types of bags. We know the idea works from the prototyping so ill get this redone now to make it a little more simple. 

Reading this makes me sad Razor. I spend some extensive time rewriting the transfusion script to simplify blood transfusion. You decided not to use it and now I read you want to make transfusion a little more simple. The initial version that I proposed improves program flow and fixes some bugs that I found like the missing var (no credits, thanks) and other bugs that now are still there. Another thing that I brought to your attention was that I don't understand why you added the penalty (O- only) for no blood test done. This is also still in the code right now (your descission, fine) but then it should at least be mentioned in the release notes to make people aware of this penalty.

Reading this makes me sad Razor. I spend some extensive time rewriting the transfusion script to simplify blood transfusion. You decided not to use it and now I read you want to make transfusion a little more simple. The initial version that I proposed improves program flow and fixes some bugs that I found like the missing var (no credits, thanks) and other bugs that now are still there. Another thing that I brought to your attention was that I don't understand why you added the penalty (O- only) for no blood test done. This is also still in the code right now (your descission, fine) but then it should at least be mentioned in the release notes to make people aware of this penalty.

The GitHub is now open to public. You can view it and propose changes to any commit / and and propose code yourself.

There is no reason to get mad about this, if you want it to get better, be a part of it yourself.

That is what I did dummy.

There's no need for the insults.

The reason the system is going to be reworked is because it wasn't working properly.

There's no need for the insults.

Sorry, not ment that way, I just thought that it is was not a very smart comment to tell someone to come over to GitHub and help out, when that was the exact thing that that person has done, but I guess you didn't know that.

The reason the system is going to be reworked is because it wasn't working properly.

"wasn't" = "is" or "still isn't"

Which was the reason why I did the pull request on GitHub in the first place.

There is no reason to get mad ....

I said "sad". I am not mad, just fairly disappointed. But I shouldn't be, looking at the code it looks like that the transfusion system will work again in 1.8.4, and besides that I will be able to exploit it as well and gain some additional humanity points :P. So who knows, maybe I shouldn't have pointed this out to you for my own benefit. But hey you are going to rework it again so it doesn't matter after all, I have tried...

Ah, I see that pull request now. Apologies, I have a major cold at the moment and am in Zombie-Mode meself.

• Like 1

Ah, I see that pull request now. Apologies, I have a major cold at the moment and am in Zombie-Mode meself.

Sorry to hear that, hope you will get well soon.

Don't spend to much time on that pull request though, it is far from perfect and does not solve all the problems because these are spread out over more scripts and other functions.

It is probably better to review your design choices first.

• Like 1

I'm not going to argue with you about it. the script needs to be fixed for the next release this is what i wont the most not changed just fixed so it works. The removal of the bags was decided after and will be done later, released later and we will probably use your original pull request then. 

As for credits you have been added to the credits list and if im also correct your name should be attached to the section of code about humanity change,

https://github.com/DayZMod/DayZ/commit/a7692d192d3ba0868747c6d9450c962d327ff2be

I don't have the time or luxury to be able to sit and type out who came up with what idea and who did what if you have contributed your added to the list. 

As for the humanity if you have another look you should see the humanity was changed to the system you did suggest.(ps LINK)

EDIT : as for the 0- its not new this was all info we released when the bloodbag system came into play unless we change it why would i need to say anything about it.

I'm going to try and finalize everything off for .4(once ive fixed this humanity skin change).

• Like 1

It's that wonderful time of year. My kids have been keeping my immune system real busy lately. First with a nasty stomach bug and now what seems to be a cold. Lots of echinacea tea with honey for me.

• Like 1

Yes, fixes first, changes later, can't agree more as I said myself before. But fix everything and not only parts and pieces, otherwise you never know the exact 'success' of your design and new design changes will only be based on assumptions.

EDIT : as for the 0- its not new this was all info we released when the bloodbag system came into play unless we change it why would i need to say anything about it.

The 'no blood test done'-penalty was added in 1.8.3. If it was (as you say) mentioned in any design, then should it not be mentioned under fixes?
The reason why I ask you to add it to the release notes is because of the huge impact on player experience. If a player has not red about the design, changes or fixes, this player will never understand what is going on and people will keep thinking that the blood bag system is broken. I speak from experience: I was in Chernogorsk a couple of times with different types of blood bags trying to help. Transfusions kept failing every time because of the bug in the software but at the same time I never guessed that I was only allowed to transfuse O- untill I actually saw the code. So I cannot understand how you can't see how important it is to add these kind of things to the release notes. This change is going in effect from v1.8.2 to v1.8.4 (it skipped v1.8.3. because of the transfusion bug).