blacklabel79

the bambi steak

Cannibalism is a good addition to the game because it is authentic and shows that the developers are willing to step into 'risky' ground to create their vision.

HOWEVER,

Its going to need to be partnered with the following:

• Revamp of the Starvation and Dehydration Systems, where Malnutrition / Weakness for Hunger is a factor. Death from starvation is slow but will hinder your character greatly. Your movement / activity and Hydration will directly effect your Starvation. One who runs and does not drink will die faster from hunger, one who walks and stays in the same place while keeping hydrated will last longer but will still become a scrawny weak piece of shit if they don't get food in their system after a while.
  • Tone down food spawns immensely. Make it so fruit-picking is more viable then finding cans. Buff cans. Make canned goods sought after. Two - three cans of beans should be enough for a 'DayZ day.' Finding two - three cans of beans should be hell-like. Apples and tomatoes on the other hand...
  • Inspire players to hunt and farm. Alternative ways of bringing in food. Make fresh spawns fight against starvation and force players who want to survive to fight for their food. Those who are not weak from malnutrition will be respected hunters, aspiring farmers, or lucky fuckers who got their hands on a can stash.

This would make Cannibalism viable and a clear resort as players, even those with guns and 'gear', would slowly fall to their knees at Malnutrition. When there are no cans around and dozens of apples just aren't filling you up, human flesh will have to substitute less you want to die.

I will honestly not eat anybody in game and will instead hunt cannibals. This will add to the 'roleplay' aspect of the game for me and also make even more dramatic scenes across the countryside of men shot and skinned, not just, well, shot.

So, bring on the Cannibals. Maybe we shouldn't even call them Cannibals, maybe we should call them just people with an... exotic taste.

Pretty much. As unrealistic as it may be, it is going to be in-game, so might as well be "authentic". I too, would rather die (both in-game and out) than eat another human being, and will enjoy hunting down cannibal clans. 

I still can see this being used to grief. Griefing is BAD THINGS NUMERO UNO in my book, and I fear the direction the Devs are planning. So far, we have hunting, the bare bones basics of agriculture.......and 30 or so different ways to grief other players. Kind of distasteful, in my opinion.

Who cares about griefing? This is a video game. Avoid the 'griefers' and be cautious before you try to make friends with somebody...

Obviously, I do. It might be fun for some people, but I personally cannot understand it, and hold the viewpoint that it is bad for the game in the long run. I've had several of my friends tell me, when I ask them to join me on Day Z, "That game where you can get handcuffed and force-fed stuff? Or have someone break your legs and leave you to die? No thanks". Or, they did start playing, and got discouraged with being KoS all the time, or backstabbed, etc. 

By all means, enjoy the game how you like. But if it drives away potential players, it will only hurt the game. Again, my opinion.

By all means, enjoy the game how you like. But if it drives away potential players, it will only hurt the game. Again, my opinion.

Those are the potential players who shouldn't be playing if they are going to get butthurt being killed. 

• Like 1

Obviously, I do. It might be fun for some people, but I personally cannot understand it, and hold the viewpoint that it is bad for the game in the long run. I've had several of my friends tell me, when I ask them to join me on Day Z, "That game where you can get handcuffed and force-fed stuff? Or have someone break your legs and leave you to die? No thanks". Or, they did start playing, and got discouraged with being KoS all the time, or backstabbed, etc. 

If you don't want a game where people can mess with you extensively, play another game or wise up and learn to avoid them. It is someone's choice to not play the game over these kind of 'issues'.

I don't grief but it certainly adds to the game as it makes you fear scumbags and reminds you not everyone is Mister Friendly Friend.

The same argument can be used against toning down loot, as players may not buy or could leave the game over not being able to find anything. However, this would soften up / 'casual' the experience, causing it to devolve into something easier.

KoS is not an issue and adds to the paranoia and fear in this game. Players never really trust each other which makes the game great. Backstabbing also makes for fun or interesting stories, victim or backstabber alike.

I still can see this being used to grief. Griefing is BAD THINGS NUMERO UNO in my book, and I fear the direction the Devs are planning. So far, we have hunting, the bare bones basics of agriculture.......and 30 or so different ways to grief other players. Kind of distasteful, in my opinion.

Guess what you can do in real life? Grow food, hunt animals, shoot bottles, read books, open cans with whatever you want, eat people, kill people, break people's legs, pry out their eyes... the list goes on and on. If the game wants to be realistic, 'griefing' aspects are necessary. Plus, the ways to do it in game are limited. You can shoot people. You can break their legs. You can handcuff them and forcefeed them stuff. That is about it. There is no real amputation, mutilation, or really fucked up stuff right now. So, yeah, not 30 different ways to grief other players. More so... 4, maybe 5.

Honestly, getting fucked with by other players in DayZ is a part of the experience. Removing that would make the game much less tense and thus less fun, in my opinion.

Those are the potential players who shouldn't be playing if they are going to get butthurt being killed. 

And for once I actually agree with Caboose...

Hell has frozen over.

I dont get it...how do u grief someone with cannibalism if its a intended feature of the game?

• Like 1

Uh ya, use logic before making stupids posts in the future.  There is no reason for cannibalism to really be in the game at least at this stage.  Considering there is a huge pinned topic about KoS because that's all there is to do right now this feature is going to be abused just for the lol's.

I am all for features that will help with the survival aspect of the game but that is the area they actually need to work on before adding more tools to allow for easy griefing

I'm the only one using logic here. You're an idiot if you think cannibalism is going to be the difference to whether or not someone griefs. Nobody has been holding out on griefing just so they can cannibalize...

Edited by t1337Dude
  • Like 2

I think this is what you meant to post

That works to! xD

THIS WORKS TO! 83

Edited by Deathlove

I'm loving all these people claiming to take the high ground and uninstalling the game for moral objections. You can force feed others Windex and rotten food, gun down unarmed people for fun and steal their blood, but eating each other with side affects is too much? Leave then, there is more than enough people willing to play that will take your place.

• Like 1

I agree, but with a number of important distinctions. I explained in detail just how your points were incorrect. Well, not incorrect per se, but are more complex than the way you described. 

Essentially, who is manning a plant/factory/polluting center matters little, because they are designed to shut down without human input. Therefore, the pollution they put out when manned will end pretty quickly when they cease being manned

SInce I don't know much about nuclear power plants I was wondering about who removes the spent rods and places them in the cooling pools? How is water going to pump into the cooling pools? These things can lead to a meltdown. Meltdown can pollute the water table, ocean (most likely next to one as most coastal states have plants near coast for cooling purposes) it can have devastating effects to the nearby and even distant ecosystem, plants, wildlife. People will flee and head for rural areas. Food will DEFINITELY be in short supply. People will die. People will eat each other. It's a very likely scenario. Being open minded here.

Some "bad press" is already circulating.

One random blog?

What is this crud about moral objections and potential censorship? Take Australia pre-R18+ rating. Usually a game being censored concerned context, sadism and gratification. Is the player encouraged to perform or rewarded for sadistic behavior? Is it out of context? Games/movies previously censored in Australia before the R18+ rating was put in place were usually banned according to this criteria.

Given that the player is neither encouraged to perform the act and there are dire consequences of the act (disease/potential emotional reaction devs could add) it's hard to see any calls for censorship carrying weight where there exists some type of adult rating system.

Games featuring cannibalism (and gore) exist. The ridiculous nature of censorship is that Fallout 3 was initially banned in Australia because of drug names. The bloody mess perk and cannibalism that is fine! Explode some heads and eat their bodies for health! All good bro. But pop a few pingers (ecstasy, Jet in the final version) for some extra AP. Sorry your game is banned.

Given that Australia was one of the most restrictive censors of video games (historically) and that very few games have ever been banned for cannibalism, (where it was featured) or violence (so long as it was in context and not overly sadistic) and this was before the R18+ adult rating was even in place it is doubtful that DayZ will find itself the subject of censors.

What about game play? It's too early to tell. Once the initial novelty wears off we must try and measure this feature amongst the constant constant tweaking of loot, that many key features of the game have not been put in place yet (hunting/trapping/horticulture/medical healing system), that finding food is still pretty easy.

I don't see how a final version of cannibalism can change much from from what it is now, it's never going be anything else other than skinning a body and eating the flesh. We simply need more content and features to see where cannibalism rests as a survival option.

Edited by Trizzo

I think this is a great feature because it adds an element of horror into the game .. Also , suicide is going to be added soon and even though that's an extremely sensitive issue as well , it will provide someone a way out if he's captured by a cannibal tribe (slit throat with a knife) ..

Even if suicide doesn't do it for you I believe peoples need to eat others will be balanced out by diseases that will most likely kill you off quicker than most bandits will be able to handle (in my opinion they should add a disease that kills the heart or brain quickly due to inflammation unless you consume a bunch of antibiotics, and this would happen 60-70% of the time when you eat cooked human meat .. So even If you were to survive with a constant supply of antibiotics you would have the shakes from eating human meat).

Also coming up to a campfire with another survivor cooking at it (which most of us have experienced in our DayZ lives ) would be the most terrifying thing ever , getting offered meat and realizing after having a funny taste in your mouth that your new friend is a Cannibal ... Spooky :) !

Food glorious Food!

I honestly don't see what the taboo is- i mean you already are just running around pvp-ing. Why not eat the meat?

Once the loot tables are fix I hope it becomes viable survival option if you're starving

LOL the bad press argument is really silly...pls stop it really....having cannibalism is going to attract lots of players to dayz. There are quite a few of us that are fed up with games for kids...and that includes CoD and all the rest of it.

Cannibalism in a game isnt new...BUT, it also depends on how u present it. The realistic gameplay of Dayz probaly will probaly accentuate the whole idea of it, but that will work in our favour since players most likely wont do it for fun.

• Like 1

I've started a new thing for me.

Cannibal hunting. It feels quite satisfying.

Me and a random in Novo had a pretty intense encounter last night. A group of geardo's were having a roast up in the Novo tower, and the random I ran across said he'd just watched the guys gut like five newspawns and were apparently cooking them upstairs.

I gave him my M1911 and we murdered the shit out of them, and it felt sooo good.

Edited by Cap'n
  • Like 1