Sign in to follow this  
Demoth

Any update on magic leg breaking?

I just randomly break my legs every time I try to go up into the firestation. So obviously, this means, for now, I won't be going into fire stations.

However, is there any news on this? The bug tracker has it listed, but that was from back in 2013.

Is there a way to prevent this magical leg snapping phenomenon?

• Like 1

Oh man this just happened to me yesterday except I was going DOWN the stairs from a fire station lol.  I had to crawl to the outside and luckily there was a tree nearby.  Just left to go to the bathroom and by the time I got back, I was near the tree lol.

So far I noticed random footwear and trousers damage, usually straight to ruined condition. Must be connected to the aforementioned bug.

Is there a way to prevent this magical leg snapping phenomenon?

Don't go upstairs, especially in fire stations, ATC tower, jails, red roof barns and building sites. 75% of all my deaths since 0.45 have involved falling through floors. The only buildings I think are relatively safe in this respect are the generic office buildings and police stations (though not 100% on the latter).

Once you're decently geared up, there's really no need to anyway.

Alright, well, it's way way worse. I just randomly died in some house while being prone on the second floor. Just a regular red house.

Nothing was upstairs, I wasn't shot. I just started taking random leg damage. About 5 hits. First one just took my pants to worn. Then ruined. Then bone fracture. Then a 4th hit just made my screen grey, then died. No bleeding, nothing else was taking damage. It was just like I was constantly falling through the floor, coming back up, then falling again until I died.

Yes yes, Alpha and all that, but this is ridiculous. I don't remember ever having this many issues before.

I'm curious on how many people who break their legs do not have DayZ on an SSD?  Maybe it can't load the info fast enough even tho it shows you going up a staircase you're actually falling as the data hasn't loaded yet.

I'm curious on how many people who break their legs do not have DayZ on an SSD?  Maybe it can't load the info fast enough even tho it shows you going up a staircase you're actually falling as the data hasn't loaded yet.

Oh that's interesting.  I have an SSD but I still save games onto traditional HDDs.  Still, i think the bottleneck would be in the CPU (or GPU) rather than the storage.

I have my game on SSD and still I broke my legs twice today and died from it the second time. This should be top priority.

next patch the devs are adding a giggling sound when this happens.  cuz they don't fix stuff, they just add it.  #alpha

• Like 3

I have a pretty low end pc now. No SSD. But I have yet to randomly break my legs in any of the buildings listed above.. Maybe the DayZ gods are in my favor.. :)

Don't go upstairs, especially in fire stations, ATC tower, jails, red roof barns and building sites. 75% of all my deaths since 0.45 have involved falling through floors. The only buildings I think are relatively safe in this respect are the generic office buildings and police stations (though not 100% on the latter).

Once you're decently geared up, there's really no need to anyway.

Police stations are confirmed kill. They killed me once in Zeleno and broke my legs once or twice.  There are NO safe buildings. It is related to how often people go to certain building and how much time spend in it. But there is seriously something wrong with firestations....they have a chance of 8/10 of breaking your legs or killing you.

I have my game on SSD and still I broke my legs twice today and died from it the second time. This should be top priority.

No, it shouldn't.

From the bugtracker (October 23 2014) by Andy, Bohemia Interactive Manager:

So it seems they're on it.

Probably a coincidence, but the dev message was posted shortly after I posted this youtube video on the bugtracker, which someone else had posted on this forum earlier, showing what I believe to be the visualisation of the bug in action:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wNqHVvjLUKQ

Edited by BadAsh

No, it shouldn't.

When going anywhere has a random chance of outright killing you for no reason, that's a pretty big issue.

I consider this pretty game breaking and will wait until it's fixed before coming back. I hadn't played until May, but every town i go to is picked clean no matter how North I go, so checking every nook and cranny is important.

No, it shouldn't.

Yes, it should.  This is not just some small annoyance we are talking about.  I am fine with small bugs flying under the radar while they work upon more important stuff but when going above the first floor in a building can randomly result in your death, that isn't a small thing.

I've watched several of my friends fall through the spiral staircase in the police station. It almost always seems to kill them. I've personally fallen through as well, but it didn't kill me.

Nothing was upstairs, I wasn't shot. I just started taking random leg damage. About 5 hits. First one just took my pants to worn. Then ruined. Then bone fracture. Then a 4th hit just made my screen grey, then died. No bleeding, nothing else was taking damage. It was just like I was constantly falling through the floor, coming back up, then falling again until I died.

Generally I just die instantly, but the last time I was affected by this bug this is exactly how it happened to me as well. It actually kind of weirded me out because I wasn't expecting it to be a drawn-out process of suffering and then dying since all of my experience up to that point has been insta-death.

Definitely not it. I've been on an SSD since back in April and it didn't change anything for me in that regard.

When going anywhere has a random chance of outright killing you for no reason, that's a pretty big issue.

Yes, it should. 

Bugfixing to prevent your avoidable occasional deaths is not an Alpha concern. 

• Like 1

you need to slow down. You feet or legs are getting caught through each step. That happened to my parents dog a few years back. Nasty break.

No the bottleneck is always the communication between server and client. Just compare the speeds inside of your PC with those outside of it. That being said, the main concern is server performance, and Hicks already stated that it's far from being what they want and that it's being adressed as a priority right now, since its also the main issue to be solved for increased player and zombie count.

Inb4 they add vehicles and the crowd posts threads like "Driving randomly kills you when going faster then 20mph!!!!omg"

Inb4 they add vehicles and the crowd posts threads like "Driving randomly kills you when going faster then 20mph!!!!omg"

Wear your seatbelt man. That's rule #4

Bugfixing to prevent your avoidable occasional deaths is not an Alpha concern. 

Occasional random deaths are driving away players from the game. Yes, they may come back but the development team is losing very important alpha/beta testers. 

This bug needs to be fixed ASAP. It ruins the dynamic of the game when people realize there is a 5% climbing that stairwell can result in your death.

It has happened to me at least 10 times, and once equiped I will not go into any elevated space.

I believe it has to do with elevation + de-sync. The server thinks you fell through the floor and went splat, but your client shows you didn't. It's the same thing as an invisible zombie hitting you, which happens.

Occasional random deaths are driving away players from the game. Yes, they may come back but the development team is losing very important alpha/beta testers. 

This bug needs to be fixed ASAP. It ruins the dynamic of the game when people realize there is a 5% climbing that stairwell can result in your death.

It has happened to me at least 10 times, and once equiped I will not go into any elevated space.

I believe it has to do with elevation + de-sync. The server thinks you fell through the floor and went splat, but your client shows you didn't. It's the same thing as an invisible zombie hitting you, which happens.

It's your fault for doing it over and over again. Wiser humans would have learned faster than you did. 

• Like 1

It's your fault for doing it over and over again. Wiser humans would have learned faster than you did.

You could also stop being a condescending prick and stop speaking for the dev team like them fixing this issue will directly cause you to hemorrhage money.

I already explained that a lot of towns are picked clean, far from the coast. When starving to death, it behooves me to check second stories of homes so i can find that can of beans that might get me to the next town. When that move of necessity kills me in a non-intended way, I'd say giving it a gander might not be a terrible idea.

Or you could continue flailing because you have some huge vendetta against bug fixes.

Edited by Demoth
  • Like 2

You could also stop being a condescending prick

Or I could continue being correct. 

• Like 1