Sign in to follow this  
cheeseburger8

What Do You Consider To Be "Exploiting" In This Game?

What Do You Consider Exploiting (NOT HACKING) In This Game?  

36 members have voted

1. 1. Server hopping at the Novo Clocktower, NWAF, or anywhere else is

2. 2. Going on low pops and looting, then going on high pops to kill is

Well to me cheating is when you deliberately break rules to get ahead. Hopping and looting on empty servers isn't against the rules, therefor not cheating.

Whether or not it is sportsmanlike is an entirely other debate, though.

• Like 3

Both is abuse of game mechanics (low cost for switching servers and low pop servers spawning gear at the same rate as high pop servers respectively). Its actually less cheating and more using horribly overpowered tactics. The problem is less being able to do this and more the fact that you have a very screwed up (risk+effort)/reward ratio. And it causes people to skip most of the game and then complain about being bored.

Server hopping needs a big nerf.

Looting on empty servers needs a big nerf.

But both should not be removed completely. As in: you should still be able to switch servers and keep your character and you should still be able to join low pop servers. But it needs to be balanced so you cannot get as much of an advantge by doing so.

• Like 1

Both of the scenario's you listed are just people being lazy.  When we started camping those area's I was surprised by how many people spawned in and out doing this.  The upside from my point of view is that nobody that spawned in the tower while we were set up there was able to spawn out because we killed them all.  We had almost the same success rate at NWAF but I'll admit a few people were able to combat log on us.

Punisher

• Like 2

Hello there

IMHO not cheating but definitely exploiting.

Practices to be frowned upon IMHO.

I understand why folk do it, but dont condone it.

Hopefully mechanics will be in place to discourage "lazy" behavior at some stage. Fingers crossed.

Rgds

LoK

• Like 2

Both of the scenario's you listed are just people being lazy.

This...even if, in a broader meaning of the term, I consider both cheating (exploiting should be a better term, as Orlok said)

I recently logged in an italian server (ah, my ingenious compatriots <_< ) where the welcome message boldly stated "we use this server to find weapons, don't kill each others!".  Yeah, sure thing! I resolved to KoS anyone I met, but I was out in the wilderness and the server restarted before finding anyone...so I logged in another one :D

Edited by DocWolf
  • Like 1

Well to me cheating is when you deliberately break rules to get ahead. Hopping and looting on empty servers isn't against the rules, therefor not cheating.

Whether or not it is sportsmanlike is an entirely other debate, though.

Huh. I feel dumb. I should re-label it as such.

Hello there

IMHO not cheating but definitely exploiting.

Practices to be frowned upon IMHO.

I understand why folk do it, but dont condone it.

Hopefully mechanics will be in place to discourage "lazy" behavior at some stage. Fingers crossed.

Rgds

LoK

I agree, even though I do it, sometimes.

I also have another question for everyone, which is very similar to the last question:

Is going on Low-Pops looting un-sportsman-like? Keep in mind, you're not going on high pops afterwards to kill people. After all, they do tell you the number of ppl on the server for a reason.

I can see dupping, using 3rd party software (mal ware) to gain cheats, and serous stuff like as clear cheating. Look through walls is an expliot. Abusing unfinished mechanics...stuff like that.

Server hoping......this is something I consider to be a touchy subject. If you are clearly abusing it logging into mulitple servers, not like just switching but were talking like 5 to 10 times, just to loot the crap out of something, wrecking it for everyone else. Then you are explioting the game. But if you simply change servers becuase there is just simply nothing there, and you just want greener pastures. Then I see nothing wrong with that. Honestly timers and load in times, should cut down on it. 

Edited by CJFlint
  • Like 1

People loot empty servers and then come to mid populated ones for PVP having nearly no idea on how it works. 

I don't see the issues. They are walking piñatas.

• Like 1

I think timers should simply get greater everytime you log into a server. And have a cap on how many servers you can log into per day. Do you really need to log into 20 servers a day or even 10? Or do even need to go that far. Because thats whats next.

Server hoping gets bad when you run across the map, and to go to a military spawn, then there simply nothing there. Not a thing. Either a group looted the crap out of it, or hopers came in and cleaned it out. This is BS, and typical dickish behavor that it seems many dayz players have for some reason. Abuse of stuff like this screws it up for everyone. Becuase the devs will come in and combat it, its screws everyone over. When I 1st started playing dayz this was a big problem. BUT honestly its not nearly as bad as it once was.

The reality is server hoping has calmed down abit since timers were added. Before the combat logging feature and timer were added, its not as bad as it once was. I honestly don't have problems finding stuff ever, and more often then not most places I visit do have loot. I notice a much bigger issue regarding loot count, between being on a persist server and not being on one. SO lets not get these issues mixed up, which I think people here on the forums are.

Edited by CJFlint

The questions in the poll are why I like single private-hive servers. No multi-dimensonal transporting wizards.

• Like 1

DayZ has a some bad dynamics or issues, that I have not seen in to many games. Issues like hopping and ghosting ect. Its a game with 40 person server and hunderds, were thousands of players on them. Its really not an MMO, its just multiplayer. Its not the only game in the world thats like this, but with a limited amount of loot and hives, it creates issues not seen before. Same with the fact players can just spawn in anywhere creates they "ghosting issue". So its almost by design inviting some of the "server hopping" and "ghosting" explioting. All they can do now is combat it now. Some who beleive its a huge issue will go private hives, I may consider it my self down the road. Its a thin balance between trying to correct it, or making it suck even worse....for those of us that want to make it a huge issue anyways.

Currently I view these issues as an exceptable level of "shit". I have learned to adapt to it. Ghosting for expample. I simply never stay in one place long enough to make it in issue. I see dayz as a moving battlefield always. Once the shooting starts and I recieve fire I move. Ever since I started doing that I have not had players just spawn in at my location in quite a while. Hopers, well Its there but, its not as bad as people make it out to be, and if know about loot count and presist servers sometimes have nothing, you will know its not that bad.

Edited by CJFlint

It's not cheating, it's abuse of game mechanics. If you exploit a game mechanic in a way that it's not meant to be used, it's an abuse, cheating would be using a third-party program. Just like duping items is a glitch and not cheating, it's just exploiting a glitch. Doesn't mean it's fair or that it should be done.

Edited by EchoZeero
  • Like 1

wow alot of exploiters sry to say but server hopping is cheating but its more of an opinion but it is definitely an exploit.

DayZ has a some bad dynamics or issues, that I have not seen in to many games. Issues like hopping and ghosting ect. Its a game with 40 person server and hunderds, were thousands of players on them. Its really not an MMO, its just multiplayer. Its not the only game in the world thats like this, but with a limited amount of loot and hives, it creates issues not seen before. Same with the fact players can just spawn in anywhere creates they "ghosting issue". So its almost by design inviting some of the "server hopping" and "ghosting" explioting. All they can do now is combat it now. Some who beleive its a huge issue will go private hives, I may consider it my self down the road. Its a thin balance between trying to correct it, or making it suck even worse....for those of us that want to make it a huge issue anyways.

Currently I view these issues as an exceptable level of "shit". I have learned to adapt to it. Ghosting for expample. I simply never stay in one place long enough to make it in issue. I see dayz as a moving battlefield always. Once the shooting starts and I recieve fire I move. Ever since I started doing that I have not had players just spawn in at my location in quite a while. Hopers, well Its there but, its not as bad as people make it out to be, and if know about loot count and presist servers sometimes have nothing, you will know its not that bad.

you remember when the game was first released ghosting was BAD they could log in seconds and log out instantly folks would engage you then log out then reappear behind you it was awful.

you remember when the game was first released ghosting was BAD they could log in seconds and log out instantly folks would engage you then log out then reappear behind you it was awful.

Oh man, it was bad. Much worse. Then it really was an issue really worth complaining about. Now its not really that big of an issue compare to how it was.

• Like 1

Not hacking...cheating... there's a difference.

Exploiting.

Topic title edited.

• Like 1

I don't consider either cheating at all. It doesn't interfere with any game rules whatsoever, which in my book equals not cheating. But poor taste, yes. Do I object to it? Not really, as it's within gameplay availability. Would I do it? Not a chance =)

Looking through walls and shit, though, is another story.

Perhaps it might be nice if you're unable to interact with loot for a certain amount of time after joining a server shortly after leaving another.  You can see it. You can salivate over it. But you can't touch it.

While server hopping I wouldn't consider cheating, since it doesn't break any objective rules of the game nor modifies any game files in your favor...

...it's definitely, certainly, indubitably contrary to the spirit and the design of the game

If you do it, you are a coward and you are a liability to the community

While server hopping I wouldn't consider cheating, since it doesn't break any objective rules of the game nor modifies any game files in your favor...

...it's definitely, certainly, indubitably contrary to the spirit and the design of the game

If you do it, you are a coward and you are a liability to the community.

i feel the same as you but i just think let them enjoy it now while its there because eventually it has to stop and if i know it the devs new it before me and i honestly think they will implement something to make server hopping not able to be done or at least inefficient or aggravating to a large degree. i leave it up to devs if its still possible in the end honestly i will still play and if thats some-ones perferred way of gearing so be it itsn not my call but it is cheating yourself out of that moment when you find something you've looked days or weeks for and you almost jump out of your seat and then paranoia kicks in and your fear to die because you don't want to lose that said item. Edited by gannon46

So long as Hive exists, it will allow players to server hope and exploit this mechanic.

Server hoping would not be such a problem if looting worked properly.

However server hoping for the sake of "ghosting" past your opponent will occur regardless as long as hive exists. 

• Like 1

The questions in the poll are why I like single private-hive servers. No multi-dimensonal transporting wizards.

Damn right, so glad to see the private hives and loving it.

However server hoping for the sake of "ghosting" past your opponent will occur regardless as long as hive exists. 

Ghosting is definitely a shit move.

Edited by Barnabus

For me exploitation is the abuse of a game mechanic with an unintended result. To log off and log in into servers is an intended game mechanic and although server hopping is an abuse of this feature, I do not consider it being exploiting. I consider it lazy and cowardly.

I think timers should simply get greater everytime you log into a server. And have a cap on how many servers you can log into per day. Do you really need to log into 20 servers a day or even 10? Or do even need to go that far. Because thats whats next.

It's easily explained...let me use what happened to me yesterday evening.

I logged in an unknown public server, and the greeting message was "Join our TS chat or be kicked"...there was no link to a teamspeak server. After a minute, my baffled character was kicked. First server. I tried another unknow public one, logged in and then after a couple of seconds I was kicked because apparently my character's name contained a long list of dots, round and square brackets...even if I couln't see any of those. Second server. Then I defaulted to a known public server and played for a while before the dreaded "no message received for..." popped up. I logged off and logged back in, but after a few seconds the same message appeared again. Third server. I logged in another known public server, and managed to play for a while before being booted: server restarted, apparently. I say apparently because it didn't appear anymore on my list. Fourth server. Pretty annoyed, I decided to try an unknown server: I logged in, and even if it was a public one I was kicked because it employed whitelisting (even if nothing in the title implied it). Fifth server. I tried another server, played for a while and then it restarted...sixth server.

According to your proposal, yesterday I was four server short of bein locked down in the last server I visited. Even if I wasn't ghosting or server hopping. DayZ is not exactly optimized or stable at the moment...longer timers are welcomed, any kind of limit to the number of server you can visit definitely no.

Edited by DocWolf