Evil Minion

Lockpick needs a buff

The 0.50 version now lets us lock doors by using the lockpick which I think is a nice addition and a good start for barricading. Sadly the effort involved for breaking doors and the effort involved for locking them are in a very bad relation.

To lock a door you have to first find a lockpick and then use one of its limited uses to lock it. To break a locked door you need to find a melee weapon and hit the door a few times or you have to shoot it once. This makes locking doors not worth the effort involved as they can be broken in mere seconds by almost everyone. It took me around 14 hits with a Kitchen Knife and around 20 hits with a Screwdriver to open a locked garage door.

So to make locking doors actually worth the effort the damage required to break a door should be increased drastically. No melee weapon should be able to break a locked door with a single hit and most firearms should not be able to do this either. The weapon that should be able to break a door instantly (aside from explosives) should be the shotgun at point blank range - soldiers aren't carrying around the "Masterkey" for no reason.

• Like 1

Well, imagine when theres 50+ zombies in a town, and you start to pound/shoot at a door :) You will get swarmed because of the noise.

I do agree that "small" melee weapons such as the kitchen knife and screwdriver, should have a hard time opening the door, although a screwdriver can be jammed into the edge of the door, and open most doors, quite easily :)

But an axe or sledgehammer, can most certaintly open a door, in very few swings, unless its a steel/reinforced door. Thats simply a matter of force and hitting the right place. 

Im also sure that most, if not every single fire arm, in the game currently, can be used to shoot out a lock, without to much struggle.

• Like 1

Yeah locked doors are a bit to weak, i agree ( though your topic title is misleading then, it should be "doors need a buff" :) )

Also, i would like to see increased degradation of melee weapons that aren't meant to be used to smash doors. Screwdrivers, knives etc should reduce their condition rapidly when you try to open a locked door with them. Fireaxes, crowbars or sledgehammers however should work quite well without any notably increased degradation.

it should depent on the door. A wooden door should be very easy to open, but this metal doors of a jail or the backdoor of the firestation should be very hard to open. The wattle of the jail building should be only opened by a hacksaw + a firefighter axe.

Yeah locked doors are a bit to weak, i agree ( though your topic title is misleading then, it should be "doors need a buff" :) )

Also, i would like to see increased degradation of melee weapons that aren't meant to be used to smash doors. Screwdrivers, knives etc should reduce their condition rapidly when you try to open a locked door with them. Fireaxes, crowbars or sledgehammers however should work quite well without any notably increased degradation.

How would a screwdriver get damaged? it is a solid piece of metal....

How would a screwdriver get damaged? it is a solid piece of metal....

Well, it depends on the size of the screwdriver, but i bent and simply broke many screwdrivers until today by using them in abnormal ways. I hope you dont think about what ways that could have been. ;)

Well, it depends on the size of the screwdriver, but i bent and simply broke many screwdrivers until today by using them in abnormal ways. I hope you dont think about what ways that could have been. ;)

I am either disgusted...or intrigued.

• Like 1

Honestly, give me a screwdriver and a hammer, and i will open 9/10 doors for you :)

Especially if the doors look like the ones we have in Chernarus, they are almost all made of wood. Metal beats wood every time hehe.

• Like 2

If the game design team sticks with the realistic route every door will stay easy to open unless it is barricaded. They will probably add traps that can be disarmed from outside of the house in a selectable, secret spot (hoping.)

Im also sure that most, if not every single fire arm, in the game currently, can be used to shoot out a lock, without to much struggle.

Well sorry to tell you but you are wrong ;)

A simple sledgehammer will open doors WAAAAAY quicker than any pistol for example.

It´s not like in the movies...

Call us crazy but we tested this with a 9mm pistol (just for the record it was the door of a friend of mine and he allready ordered a new door anyway ;)

It took us about 10 shots at the lock to get it open (and we still needed some  body force to finaly crack it open after this)

The 0.50 version now lets us lock doors by using the lockpick which I think is a nice addition and a good start for barricading. Sadly the effort involved for breaking doors and the effort involved for locking them are in a very bad relation.

To lock a door you have to first find a lockpick and then use one of its limited uses to lock it. To break a locked door you need to find a melee weapon and hit the door a few times or you have to shoot it once. This makes locking doors not worth the effort involved as they can be broken in mere seconds by almost everyone. It took me around 14 hits with a Kitchen Knife and around 20 hits with a Screwdriver to open a locked garage door.

So to make locking doors actually worth the effort the damage required to break a door should be increased drastically. No melee weapon should be able to break a locked door with a single hit and most firearms should not be able to do this either. The weapon that should be able to break a door instantly (aside from explosives) should be the shotgun at point blank range - soldiers aren't carrying around the "Masterkey" for no reason.

What should people do if they spawn inside a building where all doors are locked?

What should people do if they spawn inside a building where all doors are locked?

Stop server hopping inside of the police station?

just a joke

Edited by gr8mghtyp00
  • Like 3

Stop server hopping inside of the police station?

just a joke

Tunnel vision much?

Don't hate

Peace

Edited by Zing Freelancer

The only reason to use the lock pick at the moment is to slow people down and make the noisy if you're bunkered inside a building. (maybe safer to log out etc.)

What they should do is add some unbreakable doors where you need a lock pick to open them from the outside. Like the door which doesn't open on the second floor of the police station and the door on the second floor of the military command/jail building. It would make the lock pick something useful when looting.

Well sorry to tell you but you are wrong ;)

A simple sledgehammer will open doors WAAAAAY quicker than any pistol for example.

It´s not like in the movies...

Call us crazy but we tested this with a 9mm pistol (just for the record it was the door of a friend of mine and he allready ordered a new door anyway ;)

It took us about 10 shots at the lock to get it open (and we still needed some  body force to finaly crack it open after this)

Correct me if im wrong mate, but isnt pulling the trigger 10 times and giving it a shoulder, "without much struggle? :)

I never said it was easier then a sledge hammer, i just said pretty much every single firearm in this game can blow out a lock (provided its not a security lock, just a regular one ofc) within minutes.

Ofc a slegde hammer is easier hehe, thats why the police have been using them and other breaching tools, like a battering ram, over the years.

Im just saying that a firearm will destroy the lock quickly, letting you inside with little hassle and struggle, compared to kicking it in or using a knife/screwdriver.

The only reason to use the lock pick at the moment is to slow people down and make the noisy if you're bunkered inside a building. (maybe safer to log out etc.)

What they should do is add some unbreakable doors where you need a lock pick to open them from the outside. Like the door which doesn't open on the second floor of the police station and the door on the second floor of the military command/jail building. It would make the lock pick something useful when looting.

As far as im concerned, if they put in "unbreakable" items, we might aswell be playing H1Z1 or Epoch....

If it breaks IRL, it breaks ingame, or we might aswell throw immersion directly out the window :)

Ofc, if they do something clever, like putting "security doors" into the game, it would be alot more interesting. Those bastards are near impossible to get in to, without an explosive breach of sorts :)

But nothing should be unbreakable in this game, IMHO, Especially a door.

Edited by Byrgesen

Correct me if im wrong mate, but isnt pulling the trigger 10 times and giving it a shoulder, "without much struggle? :)

Not if you do it at 5am in the morning after (WAAAAY to much beers) ;)

HEy we  maybe have been morons but even 10 beers laters ;) we at least have not been total  morons.

A simple moron would have just fired at the door.

But WE have been smarter... we even build something that will stop the bullet after it penetrates the door.

Little details like that we have missed it 2 times and he now has 2 holes in his cellar are hopefully lost in translation ;)

Not spawn inside - this was brought up elsewhere as well - you should only be able to spawn inside barricaded areas if you logged out inside after the barricading already took place. This would prevent "catching fish" by barricading rooms and also intentionally ghosting inside barricaded areas. You could still ghost outside though but this should come with the usual penalty for server switching.

Also the stuff should break. Even when using your fists. It should just take long enough to be worth the effort of locking in the first place. If the damage required matches the damage done by 9 shotgun pellets hitting at point blank range it shouldn't be too hard to break an average door if you really want it.

Not if you do it at 5am in the morning after (WAAAAY to much beers) ;)

HEy we  maybe have been morons but even 10 beers laters ;) we at least have not been total  morons.

A simple moron would have just fired at the door.

But WE have been smarter... we even build something that will stop the bullet after it penetrates the door.

Little details like that we have missed it 2 times and he now has 2 holes in his cellar are hopefully lost in translation ;)

Rofl, im not gonna question your motives, in this specific situation mate :P

Sound like you had a moment of brilliance (i know, i have them often aswell haha)

You could always make up a cool story about the cellar.

Still, i was refereing to doing it in a zombie apocalypse, not in the middle of the night, in our everyday lives haha :D

I agree with OP - Great idea

But be careful shooting a lock point-blank with "any kind of firearm" - you risk having bits of the lock come back and stick in your face. And no, I don't think the welding mask would do enough to stop a jagged chunk of bronze or shattered steel, and those long splinters of old oak can be nasty to extract from your thighs. This is like that old movie thing where someone shoots open the chain on a pair of locked handcuffs: Don't try it at home kids, he might not ever play the piano again.

Not many doors can be broken open by one blow of a sledgehammer, unless they are hardboard internal doors (not even real wood) with tin locks for show.. Our own British police force can't open any external door with one hit of a sledgehammer, I've seen them try, and they train at it too.. and USA SWAT teams have the same trouble. Check the news and Youtube.

People who want to very seriously open a door  IRL use a chunk of plastic explosive and stand out of the way. But that's in reality - Today I heard in DayZ you can open any door in the game just by punching it enough times. That's an interesting idea for Police Buildings and jail cells, supermarket sheet-metal backdoors, barracks gates, and those heavy old wooden doors on big town houses. They were built to survive.

And last point, the lockpicks wear out real quick.

Mainly -  opening a locked door should take at least a short period of time (not one shot) - or three or four hits with something reasonably solod, and it should make good loud noises while it happens, so the people who locked the door on the inside inside know what's coming, and that's when it should begin to be interesting.

Anyone tried opening a garage door with a hoe or a pitchfork ?

Or with brass knuckles? or a can opener?.. and how many crossbow bolts does it take?

xx pilgrim

Edited by pilgrim

This discussion depends on your point of view on what lock picking mechanic is supposed to be. If you believe that it will lead to some kind of base building then yes it is to easy to break. However, if you believe that its used as tactical tool that can be used anywhere e.g. give you fair warning if someone is trying to flank you, or make sure somone won't run off, I think its well balanced.

Perhaps it would be a good idea if people are no longer able to spawn inside of buildings. i.e. If they log out in a building, the next time they spawn in will be on the outside.

Then again people will complain about not being able to spawn into their own base

Edited by pjano

Perhaps it would be a good idea if people are no longer able to spawn inside of buildings. i.e. If they log out in a building, the next time they spawn in will be on the outside.

Then again people will complain about not being able to spawn into their own base

And this will get 9/10 people killed by zombies, before they even spawn into the game :)

The only way this would work, is to make people invinsible for the first 10-20 secs after spawning, but i doubt that would happen tbh.

And last point, the lockpicks wear out real quick.

xx pilgrim

I just found out this a while a go. Try to open the door I locked but somehow I failed. Wondering what's going on until I check the lock pick and it was ruined. Scared the shit out of me as I being locked inside a house and not able to come out. Until I finally figure it out by breaking the door using my fire axe. phewwww!! 

Edited by mareak
  • Like 1