Max Planck

Permadeath? This is permadeath!

The brave Christopher "Barechested Alphamale" Livingston over at RPS has carried out an experiment with perma-permadeath in DayZ, please read about it here.

A few blurbs from the article:

So, today I’ll play DayZ, and if I die, I won’t simply start over. I’ll stop playing DayZ, and I won’t play it again. For the rest of my life. For real.

I’m sweating, my heart is still pounding, and I’m whirling my camera around me so fast I’m getting sick. I’m halfway up the hill when the server restarts, giving me a moment to sit back in my chair and exhale. This is genuinely nerve-wracking.

I quickly search the two buildings near the pump, my panic rising. Nothing. Shit. Shit. I’m in the middle of nowhere and I have no bandages. I’m going to bleed to death. I’m going to fucking bleed to death.

And the comments:

This is silly, go play the game you like.

Hardcore as fuck. I salute you.

Jesus Christ, this was the nerve-wrackingest piece of games writing I’ve read in a long while. Plays like a Greek tragedy, hubris, downfall and all. Bloody good job, you magnificient fool!

So what do you guys think? Would like to up the stakes and try something similar?

I was thinking about trying a watered down version myself, where dying would make me stay away for a month or so. That's kind of how I play already though, so I guess it wouldn't make a great difference, but it still might add some sweat to my furrowed brow.

Any takers? Any other ideas for added consequence?

• Like 6

It would be just too hilarious if he was to die to some bug in the game, be a ladder or stairs, or clip trough textures on the roof. 

• Like 7

I was actually recently thinking it might be nice if they only gave us 1 or 2 lives a day... I might get ripped apart for mentioning the idea, but a system encouraging the player to care about surviving in a survival game really makes sense to me.

• Like 8

I think I reached this stage the last time I died by being rubber-banded back into a pack of phase-walking zombies in .47 Stable...

Maybe a community with a private shard will appear and if you die you can no longer play on that server, or you are banned for a month or so.

• Like 2

It would be just too hilarious if he was to die to some bug in the game, be a ladder or stairs, or clip trough textures on the roof. 

The buggyness did have a good deal to do with how he died, maybe the game isn't really ready for an extreme experiment like this one. But less could do.

I was actually recently thinking it might be nice if they only gave us 1 or 2 lives a day... I might get ripped apart for mentioning the idea, but a system encouraging the player to care about surviving in a survival game really makes sense to me.

I've been thinking about that and I kind of like the idea. I don't think it would go down well though, and it wouldn't be fair to introduce something like that this far into development.

Maybe on special servers or something like that?

EDIT:

Maybe a community with a private shard will appear and if you die you can no longer play on that server, or you are banned for a month or so.

Yeah, something like that.

Edited by Max Planck

He's either brave or insane for setting those rules for himself this early instead of later when the main cause of death aren't glitches or glitch related. :)

Good read either way.

Any takers? Any other ideas for added consequence?

I read somewhere on this forum a similar idea.

You get one life.

You play. A day. A month. Even a year if you are good. You die. Everything after that are events rolling out, noone in your control. Soon as the black screen of death dissapears, the prescrypted subprogram takes over. The game uninstalls itself from the hard drive. Dayz is no longer in your Steam library and you cannot install it again on that particular computer.

To access this mode, you first answer several questions on a form provided to you upon selecting the mod in main menu. Questions range from "Do you like nice weather?" to "Would you enjoy drowning cute puppies?" If you play your cards right, you are granted to the mod. ;)

Enjoy you freakishly bored people of Dayz community!

• Like 2

Actually, an officialy backed "one life - one week" server could be wonderfully popular. You'd have a separate shard for it and the rules would be simple, you die, you're on cooldown for a week. I think a week is just enough. Not too long to be too daunting or too punishing (it's still a game after all) and yet not short enough for you to not care.

• Like 5

Who is going to pay for an empty server though? Private shards aren't cheap. Only really way something like this would viable IMO would be that if you die, you can only play as the zombies/infected from then on, that would make things interesting.

• Like 5

This is like Applejacx to the power of ten. But it's not the ultimate hardcore solution, which would be killing yourself IRL if you died in game. Apologies if that seems tasteless, I'm just following the nutty logic...

It's bonkers in my view, but that's one of the interesting things about the psychological experimentation you get in gaming sometimes.

I can imagine many people complaining about not being able to play for a week/month, because they were killed on sight. The forum would be full, but it could also help against KoS. As long as the game does not uninstall, deletes itself from the library and I have to pay again after death, I am comfortable with everything. Some kind of penalty time after death would also reduce the corpse rush and unrealistic never ending PvP armies. We also need something new as most of us aren't scared to die anymore.

Make Hard Core Servers with Single Life Per X ammount of TIme Would Work ANd Be interesting

• Like 1

how about 1 life per server a day?

or once you joined a server you have to stick with it till you die

that would take away the "deathmatch-atmosphere" in cities like cherno elektro and berezino

So

We went from :

"Do you guys want to try play DayZ hardcore mode"

To 

"Lets force people to play DayZ hardcore mode" 

This is just retarded. Why don't you people fuck off from how others play this game ?

• Like 2

So

We went from :

"Do you guys want to try play DayZ hardcore mode"

To 

"Lets force people to play DayZ hardcore mode" 

This is just retarded. Why don't you people fuck off from how others play this game ?

It wouldn't happen, it can't happen. The game would not be changed so drastically this far into development and after 2mil people have paid for it.

We can still discuss voluntary options though, I really think servers with limited respawns would change the way people play in a more survival oriented direction. I would love to see it happen.

• Like 5

It wouldn't happen, it can't happen. The game would not be changed so drastically this far into development and after 2mil people have paid for it.

We can still discuss voluntary options though, I really think servers with limited respawns would change the way people play in a more survival oriented direction. I would love to see it happen.

That's what I mean, we are here discussing voluntary options and some people try to change that into compulsory. 

exactly, with "i only got one or two chances not to fk it up here" in peoples head, people would be more cautios, but im sure KOS will increase aswell...up and downsides =/

Edited by Axezeroone

That's what I mean, we are here discussing voluntary options and some people try to change that into compulsory. 

People, eh? Can't live with them, has to be one. But you are right, even the forum admin is trolling my topic.

But you are right, even the forum admin is trolling my topic.

That's the worst kind. 

Now on topic, challenge like this might be fun, but currently are there too many bugs in the game to run with it. 

Edited by General Zod
  • Like 1

That's the worst kind. 

Now on topic, challenge like this might be fun, but currently are there too many bugs in the game to run with it. 

I agree, I think Christophers' attempt was a little, let's say foolhardy. The essential idea was good though, if a bit extreme.

Edited by Max Planck
typo ocd

Personally, I'd like to see characters locked to the server they were created on and if that character dies, there's a 2 hour waiting period to create a new one. 

• Like 1

Personally, I'd like to see characters locked to the server they were created on and if that character dies, there's a 2 hour waiting period to create a new one. 

I dont like a game i paid for forcing me not to play it.... while time is fast today and seems so limited sometimes already....

Edited by Axezeroone

Standalone I have been trying to stick to playing like that, seeing as there's less been less for me to seek for (camps, cars, helicopters, clan wars etc) I've had that mindset myself since day 1 of hardcore. I never died in hardcore until the wipe. Then I died about 4 times in a few days on stable 0.49 & the temperature & persistence system made hyperthermia only a matter of time. 

Haven't been on stable for about a month, but been playing experimental. Haven't died yet. As a lone wolf I reckon having a perma death outlook is the only way to keep the game exciting. 

Of course if (when) I do die I will play again, but maybe there would need to be a mourning period, with tears and also face palming..

;)

Read some other posts, servers with a week long cooldown after death, where you can play during cooldown but you have to be a zed sounds right up my street !!

I'd love that. Everyone would have chosed to be on that server to experience the game like that, so should be a better example of a true horror survival attempt...

Edited by Richard III in Leicester