haknslash

A look at one of the new zombie models

Like arguing with a brick wall... These aren't superhuman creatures. Deformed and mangled zombies will die very quickly in DayZ. They're just sacks of flesh and bone like regular humans. That's why it doesn't take headshots to kill them. Any injury that is incapacitating/lethal to humans will have the same effect on the zombies. 

They have been debating on changing it to head shots only for a bit now.

Well, that may not be a bad idea, though I feel it might make them too hard to kill for the average survivor. 

Basically my philosophy on zombies is as follows: If they are undead, destroy the brain. But then they oughta be slower and more numerous. If they are infected but technically alive, body shots should do the trick, but then they should remain fast to offset that.

That zombies been busy look at his knees.

The other zombies must love him.

The streets of cherno are a tough place mate.

• Like 2

The lore says there was a virus, the virus killed most of the population. Those that survived were left as "zombies". Only the totally immune were left with their mental faculties in tact. They aren't superhuman, just severely brain damaged people. That being said, the creatures from I am legend have a bacterium which secrets a glue like substance to be secreted in the event of injury preventing bleeding out. However, these creatures in game aren't vampires, these are just brain damaged people. In real life, they'd all be dead after one day due to hypothermia. If it's the summer, they'd all be dead within a week due to not finding water, and if water is found, not boiling it, and shitting themselves to death with the inevitable traveler's diarrhea. Really, this whole plot is breaking down the more I consider it.

The virus would have to somehow drastically alter their physiology in order to keep them alive. Oh well, suspension of disbelief and all that.

Edit: I should say most would be dead in 3 days or less. They're probably already very dehydrated from the initial infection, so by the time they recover, they're in a bad state already. Animals have instincts which these people lack, such as going to lower ground to find water, and having senses that better enable them to do. Without our higher faculties and reasoning, people do very very poorly. I'd venture 90 percent at least dead within 3 days.

Edited by agouti
  • Like 1

Here's the breakdown, no interwebs needed, kids!

First (historically), there were "voodoo zombies", using magic and/or drugs a shaman controls the "undead" using it's "soul" as the UI. Slow, mindless, but strong and unflinching. (Carpenter: The Serpent and the Rainbow 1988)

Second, good ol' Georgey Romero comes along and says, "meteor radiation" can raise the dead. Mostly slow, mostly mindless, truly rotted corpses, first advent of head shot needed to kill. (Night of the Living Dead 1966)

Thirdly, 70-80's exploitation horror movies depict "toxic government waste" as a possible reanimator of corpses with a taste for "brains". Slow, fast, amputated, coming in all shapes, and sizes, these zombies are often what most people think of when they think "zombie". (____ of the Living Dead, 70-80's)

Lastly, our modern "rage zombies" popularized by movies like 28 Days Later, are mindless violent flesh ripping fiends who have contracted a "disease/virus" that has turned them into such. These zombies are mostly fast and animal like in their movements.

ALL of the last 3 types have been depicted with the ability to infect people they have wounded in most cases.

spPlLtQ.png

Edited by BioHaze
  • Like 3

The streets of cherno are a tough place mate.

I know I don't fault him.

20 dollars are 20 dollars man.

I know I don't fault him.

20 dollars are 20 dollars man.

Dollars? HE DID IT FOR CAN OF BEANS!

Even flask of tincture on a bad day...

Edited by Hombre
  • Like 1

This new model rocks. Now I wish that we can play as old grumpy hobo man !

I want my ingame character look like this !

And thats including that shopping cart !!

edit: just noticed theres what seems as dead lady in that cart. Fk it, want it anyway!

Iv2rKuE.jpg

Rutger Hauer in Hobo with a shotgun! I feckin' loooove this trash movie! :thumbsup:  :beans:

Edited by CrniVarg
  • Like 1

It looks great ! great job Devs...next a half nude supermodel in a bikini ... joking !. ( not really )

It looks great ! great job Devs...next a half nude supermodel in a bikini ... joking !. ( not really )

I might have to draw this now. You will regret giving me ideas for zombies.

DAYZ SWIMSUIT SUPERMODEL INFECTED FTW!

Edited by Deathlove
  • Like 1

Rutger Hauer in Hobo with a shotgun! I feckin' loooove this trash movie!  

Yup, hobo with a shotgun right there! Was pleasantly trashy movie hehe.

And yea, I would definitely play the sh*t of such character in DayZ.

Bored of young handsome clean people, time for old grumpy hobo with pump action! Wish they release it soon (pump action shotty).

Yup, hobo with a shotgun right there! Was pleasantly trashy movie hehe.

And yea, I would definitely play the sh*t of such character in DayZ.

Bored of young handsome clean people, time for old grumpy hobo with pump action! Wish they release it soon (pump action shotty).

Best part of the movie was the credits.  They played the Racoons theme song!!  

• Like 1

Here's the breakdown, no interwebs needed, kids!

First (historically), there were "voodoo zombies", using magic and/or drugs a shaman controls the "undead" using it's "soul" as the UI. Slow, mindless, but strong and unflinching. (Carpenter: The Serpent and the Rainbow 1988)

Second, good ol' Georgey Romero comes along and says, "meteor radiation" can raise the dead. Mostly slow, mostly mindless, truly rotted corpses, first advent of head shot needed to kill. (Night of the Living Dead 1966)

Thirdly, 70-80's exploitation horror movies depict "toxic government waste" as a possible reanimator of corpses with a taste for "brains". Slow, fast, amputated, coming in all shapes, and sizes, these zombies are often what most people think of when they think "zombie". (____ of the Living Dead, 70-80's)

Lastly, our modern "rage zombies" popularized by movies like 28 Days Later, are mindless violent flesh ripping fiends who have contracted a "disease/virus" that has turned them into such. These zombies are mostly fast and animal like in their movements.

ALL of the last 3 types have been depicted with the ability to infect people they have wounded in most cases.

spPlLtQ.png

You know that before the "voodoo zombies", there were other types of zombies right? The zombies created by voodoo are not to be confused with most culture call " the living dead". Voodoo zombies are just controlled people by using "magic/sorcery/black magic/witchcraft". (voodoo)  The word "zombie" (derived from "nzambi" (god) and probably "zumbi" (fetish)) might come from the Haitians, and West Africa origins, but their zombies were not dead.

While in almost every part of the earth, different cultures had their own walking dead. The Icelandic people (including parts of Norway, Sweden and North Germany) had the Draugr. The Chinese had their Jiangshi, which was literally a reanimated corpse. The English people, back in the end of the 16th century, had the Ghoul.

There are numerous variations of the zombie creature. But from the lore of DayZ, it seems that most of them doesn't apply,  and the closest we get is the infected in 28 Days/Weeks Later. Problem is, those died of starvation after a while, so the infected in DayZ should have the same fate.

I sincerely hope they eventually change that, since the game is still in alpha stage, and the mod, at this point, seem to be less and less related in any way with the Stand Alone. The mod could have their infected living humans, while we could have real undead zombies. It would make more sense with the concept of "zombie survival horror game", and the general long term feel of the game. (at least for me)

I've been playing the mod since it came out, and same thing for the stand alone. This is probably the thing that bothers me the most, and the thing I find most ridicule to keep coming back to the "infected living human" flawed concept with DayZ.

• Like 1

That's actually a pretty nice/fairly creepy model.

We need more variety in the zombie department, I know it isn't priority right now though.

I'd like to see more variety among the zombies based on where you are on the map. Like a few riot police/police zombies in the cities mixed with plenty of varied civilian zombies. 

Different types of soldier zombies (I'm talking uniform/vest damage, but we basically have all we need)

This new model strikes me as a zombie you would find in more rural areas or even out in the wilderness as opposed to roaming around Cherno or Berezino. I'd like to run into a few zombies that look like this just out in the woods between cities.

Definitely not what i was expecting when they were talking about new zombie models. Looks awesome! Having some old dude jump you (especially as it's getting dark) would freak me the hell out!

Can't wait to see the rest, hopefully with plenty of variation. height, body build, fat, skinny, short, tall. maimed, missing limbs.. the more the merrier.

• Like 3

Now all we need is this type of zombie and all will be right in the world...... XD

You know that before the "voodoo zombies", there were other types of zombies right? The zombies created by voodoo are not to be confused with most culture call " the living dead". Voodoo zombies are just controlled people by using "magic/sorcery/black magic/witchcraft". (voodoo)  The word "zombie" (derived from "nzambi" (god) and probably "zumbi" (fetish)) might come from the Haitians, and West Africa origins, but their zombies were not dead.

*snip*

Due to the word "zombie" being partially under debate here I began my examples from where the name began and as pointed out in my post, not to be considered truly "undead" (as I had hoped I had indicated by prefacing with the idea of drugs/magic being involved and the use of quotes around the word undead).

I think the main difference between the early cultural types of undead are their capacity for independent conscious thought and action. Many of these entities were held responsible for deliberate sophisticated actions against the living (not limited to eating their brains).

The creatures we associate with zombie are automatons, hence the use of the word to describe a feeling of thoughtlessness, numbness, or general lack of awareness.

• Like 2

Worth pointing out that the Walking Dead zombies are technically "infected", but behave like the undead. I personally find the infected rage type zombies sort of dumb, and wish DayZ were looking more at the Walking Dead type. Slow and numerous.

• Like 1

Slow zombies in DayZ will be neither intimidating nor dangerous.

Slow zombies in DayZ will be neither intimidating nor dangerous.

Until they start adding things like a stamina bar, stagger, maybe even tripping mechanics and penalizing ppl for carrying to much. Add in a grab mechanic for infected and you got yourself a whole new animal you have to survive.

That zombies been busy look at his knees.

The other zombies must love him.

Sometimes you just gotta do what ya gotta do. To survive I mean :D