matus101

So M1 Garand has been confirmend...

M1 Garand  

82 members have voted

1. 1. M1 Garand should be...

• not in the game.
    • in the game, spawning as much as mosin, sks and such...
    • a rare unicorn.

Okay yesterday I heard about how Rocket confirmed M1 Garand...and I think thats the most irrelevant weapon they could add in DayZ. In history of Chernarus there is no mention of US forces being present in Chernarus. I live in Slovakia ( the fine country that  have posters across the Chernarus with export beer Smadny Maskrtnik) and its really hard to get your hands on a soviet weaponery not to mention the ww2 american guns....If they want to add ww2 american weapons they should add the guns that were shipped to soviet union during the Land Lease like thompsons for example.

My point is...if they want to add the ww2 guns they should add weapons of  german or soviet origin.

Edited by Dildo Baggins
  • Like 5

I could care less if the guns fit into the lore, guns are cool to have.

• Like 4

Little late for this no? If they are already putting it in?

Okay yesterday I heard about how Rocket confirmed M1 Garand...and I think thats the most irrelevant weapon they could add in DayZ.

So the HK G11,HK XM8, Gyrojet rifle, and General Electric XM214 Microgun are less "irrelevant" than a M1 Garand? What is an

"irrelevant weapon" anyway? Because it sounds like a weapon that wouldn't matter in DayZ. Do you mean out of place weapon?

In history of Chernarus there is no mention of mention of US forces being present in Chernarus.

The flaw in that statement is the history of Chernarus in WW2 is unknown. Nor is the popularity of civilian weapons or full detail of the illegal arms trade with neighboring Takistan.

• Like 2

Ping! I was a little suprised but only a little...

Edited by Trizzo
  • Like 1

In that first video that guy is only talking about a battle situation with many guns going off at the same time and tanks firing their main gun, obviously an enemy soldier would not hear the ping in such a situation. But there are other scenarios possible where there are only 1 or 2 rifles being fired and the enemy is within 10-20 yards, I'd think it would be possible to hear the ping.

Any how, in my opinion the Garand has no place in DAYZ.

Edited by SAK

The Civilian Marksmanship program offers M1s chambered for .308/7.62x51, I would hope they go with these unless they plan to include other rifles chambered in 30-6.

I know that vid is a bit long winded but it shows the weapon in all its glory, just watch the first sequence.

The  M1 Garand in DayZ does not bother me as such, I just love the ejection "PING" and the firing speed.

Loving that ping but would prefer to see the SVT 38/40.

• Like 7

I just wanted to state that the op probably didn't watch Dean Rocket at pax. Dean clearly stated that he knows some guns in-game and some soon to be in-game weapons aren't from Chernarus. He said he wanted to put a variety of guns in the game so people can create there own story and use there favorite weapons. He even said he doesn't think it ruins or lessens the immersion of the game it adds to it.  

• Like 3

Where is the "I want it to spawn at every corner" option? Biased poll is biased. The M1 Grand could work fine as another high tier civilian weapon. More common than military weapons but less common than other civilian weapons.

I a more concerned about the .30-06 cartridge as it would be another full power round and with the planned split between 7.62x54mmR and 7.62x51mm NATO there might be too many strains of full power rifles that don't compete for the same ammo. Might be good might be bad depending on implementation. I can see (geographical) separation working: .30-06 as hunting round more often found in central Chernarus while 7.62x54mmR is more common in hotspots like cities or military bases and 7.62x51mm NATO could be mostly crash site/UAZ loot.

hrm my late stepfather carried one of these in WWII and according to him the ping was not a problem with having your position given away, in fact your position was generally known by the enemy but you were under/behind cover when the small skirmishes would break out. he and his brothers in arms used the ping as bait to lure the enemy that had not yet gotten wise to the tactic of pinging an empty clip on someone's helmet. he said it much like this... ping! they peek, you shoot. of course the tactic faded as the enemy got used to it.

its funny that people would think the ping would give away your position considering the ping only occurred when the clip was ejected (or when baiting the enemy), meaning that you were already firing your weapon (like that don't give away your position) when it happened.

the M1 Garand is a dream to fire and I would love to tote one of these around chernarus.

• Like 3

Needs to be rare.

Some people don't seem to care about lore and atmosphere but I'm telling you it needs to be there for the base game (the mods can go and break the post soviet nation lore and add new western maps etc).

But I while I think all sorts of guns should be in the game, too many of some guns can ruin the game.

So in vanilla, when you hear the ping you get all M1 hungry.

People wanna have shit easily accessible, but they forget by making it easy to get it ruins anything special that gun had.

• Like 6

Needs to be rare.

Some people don't seem to care about lore and atmosphere but I'm telling you it needs to be there for the base game (the mods can go and break the post soviet nation lore and add new western maps etc).

But I while I think all sorts of guns should be in the game, too many of some guns can ruin the game.

So in vanilla, when you hear the ping you get all M1 hungry.

People wanna have shit easily accessible, but they forget by making it easy to get it ruins anything special that gun had.

hehe yeah this might be something that would have me people hunting to acquire if I end up unable to find it otherwise.

• Like 1

Why M1 garand? Cuz CoD shooter wanna be... Those are the only kiddies playing standalone. Ammarite?

I a more concerned about the .30-06 cartridge as it would be another full power round and with the planned split between 7.62x54mmR and 7.62x51mm NATO there might be too many strains of full power rifles that don't compete for the same ammo.

There is a Navy variant chambered in 7.62x51.

http://www.forgottenweapons.com/m1-garand-development/navy-7-62mm-garand-conversion/

Needs to be rare.

Every weapon needs to be rare for the base game. There will be plenty of mods making guns and ammo more common. Vanilla should provide a good mixture of exploration, survival, gunfights, melee, socializing, PvE, PvP, competition and cooperation. Because no mod owuld ever be able to do this simply because modders don't have the time and the tools to cause such complex dynamics.

In terms of game balance and authenticity the M1 Garand should probably be more rare than other civilian firearms. In terms of setting its most likely a collectors or enthusiasts weapon than a common hunting/sporting firearm. In terms of strength - its a semi-automatic rifle firing a round that is (slightly) stronger than everything we already have in game. Of course this limits clip size and ammo count while causing quite some recoil - but those again might be reasons while the M1 Grand whould be less common inside the setting.

However I think you should have a higher chance of finding an M1 Garand than any military firearm - save the ones also used in law enforcement like submachine guns or shotguns. In fact the "police" tier (or what I called "Flush Tier" here) is probably the right spot for this weapon.

I don't care what anyone says I love it.....but I'm biased because I have one at home in 30-06 and another thats been rechambered for .300 savage.

So I'm happy to see it enter.

^Thats basically why they decided to add it.

Then who am I to argue with them :D

But I agree that it should be quite a rare find

Why would it be rare? The US loves giving weapons away. Even the CMP sold these. I think WWII weapons should be somewhat commonish. Didn't you know? These countries are all playgrounds for NATO vs Warsaw and their various weapons trickle down.