shutupwalter

How was your Day(Z)?

Yesterday I met four friendly people, two unfriednlies and two unknown. Killed one guy at airfiled tents. I also got sniped at the airfield while finding my first ever FAL mag at a heli site. Today I met three friendlies, one blind and deaf guy at stary tents and got sniped at a heli site again. So quite decent escept teh people camping heli sites. Pretty low behaviour

• Like 1

After heading up to the camo building just north of the NWAF tents to use the water pump, I found that someone had plastered the entire area with military and small tents, full of lovely lovely loot. At leat 15 military and as many smaller tents. Long story short, now I have two brand new guns with ALL the trimmings, including a functioning SVD which is something I've never had before, plus all the food and gear, and a freaking sword! :). It's sad I couldn't find a pen in any of the tents, I would've left a thank you note.

fGJMu0k.jpg

On a side note, why do people always collect a dozen landmines and bear traps if they're not going to use them to defend their base? Now half a dozen military tents have mines at the entrance, and they are hidden well :) I'll check back in a couple hours, see if anyone's been exploded yet.

I got sniped at a heli crash again. Wtf? get a life you damn campers. But then i found a UMP so its all fine. Now to find a mag for it at.......heli crashes?

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Killawife said:

I got sniped at a heli crash again. Wtf? get a life you damn campers. But then i found a UMP so its all fine. Now to find a mag for it at.......heli crashes?

Yep. Or tents. They are v rare though.

I've had enough of looking for mil loot and am about to embark on Mookie's Great Adventure, wherein I travel right round the border of the map, visiting all those weird and exotic places that I've hardly every been to. 

I've done that a few times. Once I got shot up at Krasnoe by some guy I saw earlier but decided to leave alone. I couldnt really understand why he even killed me as I didnt even have a rifle. Another time it was dark and I fell off a cliff and broke my legs. I didnt have any rags so I had to crawl for a very long time to get to a town and find some. It was kinda hilarious.

16 hours ago, Killawife said:

I've done that a few times. Once I got shot up at Krasnoe by some guy I saw earlier but decided to leave alone. I couldnt really understand why he even killed me as I didnt even have a rifle. Another time it was dark and I fell off a cliff and broke my legs. I didnt have any rags so I had to crawl for a very long time to get to a town and find some. It was kinda hilarious.

This is a real danger in the far north, with all those rocky escarpments. Best to stick to the roads up there, especially at night. I got as far east as Novo last night and am now planning to run all the way down the east coast, on hi pop servers, helping freshies. 

One hour is probably a generous estimate of my character's life expectancy in this.

On 7/27/2016 at 2:18 PM, Killawife said:

One hour on the coast? Good luck with that :)

Surprisingly, I survived a full coastal run, on hi-pop servers. I did get shot up a couple of times by saddos sniping from the hills overlooking the coast road, but I didn't manage to catch any of them.There were fewer encounters than I expected, or would have liked. Most freshies are really just people who have died at NWAF or elsewhere and are running back to their mates and gear. 

Nonetheless, I did manage to help a few people out. Someone who seemed friendly and genuinely new to the game got my fully kitted AKM, with mags and ammo (left 500m up the road as a precaution), while I made quite a few improvised backpacks for others. Predictably I also had people trying to punch me out/assault me with fire extinguishers/run me over, and sadly had to summarily execute one or two who really were beyond the pale. Shooting up vehicles with an ACOG/bipod M4 is great fun and quite cinematic.

I carefully avoided the big coastal towns and spent most of my time around Kamyshovo, Nizhnoye, etc. If you're bored with looting it makes a refreshing change - just don't take your best gear.

I actually miss the coastal warfare that existed before 0.60. It was great fun sometimes and a pain at others but you could avoid it if you wanted to. Now its just not there. It all seems to be about going to NWAF/myshkino.

• Like 1

Well, I spent a good 30 minutes in Cherno at the weekend on a 60/60 server loudly asking if there was anybody here whilst dispatching infected and generally making a lot of noise and I didn't see a single soul.  Maybe I scared them off?  ;-)

Played around with cooking (I like the survival aspect of the game) and cooked some chicken breasts on long sticks which was cool.  It was nice to see that the devs seem to have fixed the old issue whereby when you used to cook food your face would melt.  Then I tried using a cooking pot - I poured the contents of my PET water bottle into it, added 4 chicken breasts and hung it on the cooking tripod over the fire.  Annoyingly, you don't seem to be able to check the status of the meat without taking the cooking pot off the tripod.  Anyway, 15 sticks of wood later the chicken still wasn't cooked so I packed up.

If anyone can give some detailed instructions on exactly how to use the cooking pot I would be grateful!!   (Does it actually need water?  Does it have to be full?  How many stacks of sticks are needed to cook 4 pieces of chicken etc...)

Met a couple of nice players recently which made a change but also means that the next ones I meet will be the usual KoS losers...

21 hours ago, krazypenguin said:

Well, I spent a good 30 minutes in Cherno at the weekend on a 60/60 server loudly asking if there was anybody here whilst dispatching infected and generally making a lot of noise and I didn't see a single soul.  Maybe I scared them off?  ;-)

Played around with cooking (I like the survival aspect of the game) and cooked some chicken breasts on long sticks which was cool.  It was nice to see that the devs seem to have fixed the old issue whereby when you used to cook food your face would melt.  Then I tried using a cooking pot - I poured the contents of my PET water bottle into it, added 4 chicken breasts and hung it on the cooking tripod over the fire.  Annoyingly, you don't seem to be able to check the status of the meat without taking the cooking pot off the tripod.  Anyway, 15 sticks of wood later the chicken still wasn't cooked so I packed up.

If anyone can give some detailed instructions on exactly how to use the cooking pot I would be grateful!!   (Does it actually need water?  Does it have to be full?  How many stacks of sticks are needed to cook 4 pieces of chicken etc...)

Met a couple of nice players recently which made a change but also means that the next ones I meet will be the usual KoS losers...

My encounters with cooking pots in 0.60 seem to indicate that they're pretty seriously buggy. Might just be incompetence on my part though.

Had one of those random DayZ encounters yesterday...

Was running on a very low pop 1PP server, way up to the North.  I've got a couple of barrels hidden up there, in a clump of trees, nothing really special, just some assorted clothing and useful bits for hunter types, things that will allow me to immediately re-gear the next time I do something really stupid and dangerous and die.... like using some stairs.  ;-)

But... I was getting a little bored and just fancied some real danger and maybe some real rewards, so I ran to NWAF.  Looted the military tents and barrack buildings and grabbed 2 assault vests, some M65 jackets and 6 slot trousers - but there were no weapons, only a couple of stanag mags.

On the way back, loaded down as I was with half a hundred weight of clothing, I started to massively overheat.  With my sole water bottle empty, I ditched the non-essentials to free up some space to store my jacket, slowed my pace to a jog and headed straight for the nearest pond.  

Which is when I saw the player.  

He's lying dead still in the middle of the pond, in full military gear and armed to the teeth.  But he's looking in the opposite direction to me...  Argh, what do I do?  Do I try and talk to him and hope he doesn't just blow me away?  Do I try and get the drop on him and shoot him, but probably either miss or just wound him and make him angry?  Or do I just do what I usually do and run?  It doesn't matter because before I can make any sort of decisions, I realise that something is not quite right here.  He's lying dead still.  As in dead.  He's just... dead.

There's always a risk in approaching a dead body in DayZ because whatever made that guy dead could still be around to make you dead too, but like I said, I'm a bit bored, and the potential rewards could be great so I carefully approach him.  He's fully loaded and it's mostly pristine too, or at worst worn - but nothing is ruined.  M4A1 with all the trimmings, multiple mags full of ammo, high capacity assault vest, and that newish assault backpack.  Kerrching - jackpot winner!!!  I swap out my 2nd rate gear for his top of the line stuff and leg it.

So... what's a fully geared player doing lying dead in a pond in the middle of nowhere with no ruined gear?  I presume he's not been shot, or his stuff would be ruined.  There are no infected around and even if there were, I cannot see how they could have taken this guy down.  He's got plenty of food and water on him too, so I cannot imagine he died of hunger or thirst.  The only thing I can think of is that, like me, he's also been suffering from overheating, which explains why he's lying in a pond, to the point where either it's killed him or in his attempts to cool down, he's accidentally drowned himself.

I guess I'll never know - just another random DayZ encounter.

I take care to cool down and jog slowly back to base where I sit for a while to relax and chill out whilst looking at my shiny new M4  :-)

Edited by krazypenguin

Interesting... I randomly sank into the map and died 24 hours ago, with very similar gear to what you describe - assault pack, hicap, M4 with bipod, ACOG, etc. But that happened way up near Tisy and was on a 3pp.

Maybe the same thing happened to him.

46 minutes ago, Mookie (original) said:

Interesting... I randomly sank into the map and died 24 hours ago, with very similar gear to what you describe - assault pack, hicap, M4 with bipod, ACOG, etc. But that happened way up near Tisy and was on a 3pp.

Maybe the same thing happened to him.

Yeah, even by DayZ's very low standards, death by sinking into the floor is an extremely lame way to die... :-(

Also, I did more cooking testing.  Still no joy with the cooking pot - I guess it's just not working in 0.60 as well as being more generally bugged like you say, so I tried the frying pan instead.  I found that I couldn't attach it to the cooking tripod at all.  On reflection, I think that makes sense, but I couldn't use it directly with my camp fire either so, out of frustration, I just shoved it into the fire and watched it burn.  Silly really, because now I need to go and find another one to test with a fireplace.  Ah well, long pointed sticks FTW...

32 minutes ago, krazypenguin said:

Yeah, even by DayZ's very low standards, death by sinking into the floor is an extremely lame way to die... :-(

I was surprisingly un-salty about it. I just kind of stared open-mouthed at the screen for a couple of minutes.

I'm aware that compared to many people I'm still something of a newbie, but with 800 hours of DayZ under my belt I've still been around the block a few times myself, or in this case around Chernarus itself dozens of times.  When you've got this much experience and you play the survivor-style game (sticking to the forests, avoiding players, skirting cities, not going near military zones) the game itself can become a little dull - all of my characters across the numerous private servers I play on have got everything I could possibly need - so I set myself a mini-challenge last night. 

I planned to revisit the abandoned military base in the forest in the top middle of the map.  Once there I would finally answer a question I had long wondered about - if you drop off the bottom of the ladder in the underground base can you reach it to climb back out?   I have read that you can and I have read that you cannot - clearly the only way to know for sure was to try it myself.  I've nearly done this before - in fact somewhere back in this thread I posted a screenshot of myself hanging from the end of that exact ladder but at the time I played it safe and, rather than taking the plunge and dropping to the ground, I bottled it and climbed back up.  But not this time, this time I was committed.  I loaded up the last server I was on and... ah, it's this one - private server with multiple hives that are always full... this could be interesting :-)

I take a moment to get my bearings, I'm up very high with a fantastic view across an airfield below me - I'm on the hill at the far Western end of NEAF.  I like it here, you get few players and those you do meet are generally not the military geared types.  Mainly though, you can get some very impressive views, especially at dawn and sunset.  No matter, I have my mission so I turn North and start jogging along the edge of the ridge line, a steep drop to my right.  As usual, I maintain my vigilance, constantly checking all around me for signs of other players and that's how I spot the 2 tents at the bottom of the ridge line. 

I drop to the ground and watch but there are no signs of movement so I decide to see what they contain.  The first one is full of all sorts of assorted magazines, a few pistols and a little loose ammo.  I move to the second - an MP-5, a disassembled Trumpet, a Winchester and Mosin.  I've got a Trumpet with a hunting scope.  Even though I might be losing this character I find I cannot stop myself... I switch the hunting scope onto the Winchester and sling it on my back, dump my Trumpet into their tent and then grab the Mosin.  I take all their Winchester (20) and Mosin (11) ammo and run.  It's less than 2 minutes later when I start to feel really bad and start debating whether to go back and return my plunder, but the fear of getting caught overrides my guilt and I keep heading North West.

I've decided to try this run without a map - I think my knowledge of Chernarus is pretty good but it's been a long time since I visited the base and I'm struggling to recall exactly where it is.  As such, once I reach the North I'm vague on whether I need to head East or West of my current location.  It's raining very hard and visibility is poor.  I decide to head West.  After 10 minutes running in diagonal lines North West then South West, I've still not found it.  Earlier I passed a quarry which I am sure is to the West of the base so I am sure I have overshot.  I turn back to the East and start zigzagging back.  I run and I run but there's still no sign of the base.  I keep seeing grey shapes in the distance that look like they could be the outer walls but when I zoom in on them with my scope they always turn out to be rocks.  I'm still running, still looking, when a something catches my eye.  Among all the natural, irregular lines is something straight, then an angle and another straight line.  A building?  Not the base, for sure, but I turn towards it to investigate anyway. 

It's a military tent pitched pretty much slap bang in the open.  Sure this is a forested area, but the trees are not that thick and the owner has made no effort to even try and shield this massive tent.  Then it gets worse as a glance to one side reveals why I've missed the base - I'm about 50 metres from the Northern edge of the map and the base is further South.  But that just makes the placement of this tent even more strange - players will always run the map edge (don't believe me, just look at a DayZ death map) so this tent is bound to be found and found quickly too.  Then I pause to think.  Maybe it's not stupid after all.  In fact maybe it's so difficult to hide anyway so why bother at all?  Now I think about it, I find myself sort of admiring it - this guy has got the guts to stick a tent down where he knows it must be found.  This is brazen, this takes some serious chutzpah (love that word, miss Paranoia rpg), this is a guy saying "here I am, what are you going to do about it?"  I'll tell you what I am going to do, I'm going to root through your gear.   Seems the owner is a hunter farmer type - seeds, bags of lime, chicken breasts and some knives and axes.  No guns or ammo, no military clothing.  There's a note from someone saying "nice tent" and I would love to add to it but there's no pen and I don't have one.  I leave the tent as I found it and head off to the South East in search of the base.  Less than a minute later I find myself running straight towards a blue tent.  This one is heavily shielded by thick trees from all directions except the one that I happen to be coming from - unlucky.  It's a complete wreck, all battered and torn but it's the contents I am interested in so I duck in to check it out.  Empty.  I ponder for a moment...

I run back to the military tent, rearrange the contents to make a big gap in the middle and plonk the Mosin and ammo into it.  Maybe someone else will get it first but if not, whoever you are who owns this tent, have this on me.  Just a shame I cannot leave a note.  Next I run back to the battered tent for stage 2 of my plan.  I justify my actions by telling myself that it's ok because it's a) empty and b) badly damaged but really I know it's not very nice as I pack up the tent and run off with it.  Ah well, better a small time thief than a cold blooded killer.

I'm running randomly now, still unable to find this flipping base when I find tent number.. what is it now, 2, 3, 4, 5.  Tent number 5.  This one is pristine and contains some military clothing, jackets, helmets, etc..., all of it damaged, but no guns or ammo.  This looks like the sort of tent I would have - an honest tent belonging to a player like me who cannot always find the best stuff and makes do with what he can find.  I bet this guy gets killed a lot in military zones as he tries to find the gear he thinks he must have to be 'the best'.  I was this guy once.  I feel a kinship to this guy, a huge amount of empathy to his struggle to get geared whilst trying to survive against all the hardcore military types with their fully specced M4s and tons of ammo.

So I feel somewhat bad as I dump his stuff out of his beautiful tent and onto the ground.  But I'm not a complete bastard so after I pack his tent I try to pitch the tatty tent in its place.  I cannot quite get it to line up and, half expecting the owner or someone else to catch me in the act, I leave it in roughly the same spot, just kind of half hanging out of the trees that hid the original one.  Ah well, I tried.  I put his stuff back in, pick up the nice, shiny pristine tent and run off again.

Finally I bite the bullet and check a map.  I've run past the base, like RIGHT past it, at least twice.  I blame the poor visibility caused by this torrential rain...  A few minutes later I am in the base.  Whilst it is abandoned there are still some barracks here so I fully expect to meet a player but I must complete my mission.  I spend a solid 5 minutes running all over the base but I cannot find the entrance to the underground bunker.  I know it used to be here because I have seen it here before but I finally give up - I can only assume it's been moved or removed.  Shame to fail my mission bit it wasn't for lack of effort and I did find a lot of tents.  Time to head back home.  I run East and guess what?  Tent number 6.  Only this one is occupied...

I get the drop on him - he's inside the tent storing gear.  I stop behind a tree about 10 metres away and put my tent down, but fumble my hotkeys and by the time I get my Winchester out and peek around the tree the tent is closed up.  Is he inside or....nope, he's behind a tree and whilst he obviously doesn't know exactly where I am he's clearly heard me and knows I am here somewhere and has a gun out.  I don't really know what I was even thinking when I was trying to get my gun out, I am the worst person in the world for pvp and I definitely wouldn't have shot him in the back... probably.  Ah well, there's only one way to play this now - I open comms.  "Hello there!  I am friendly, be cool man, be cool'  I can hear him trying to say something but it's garbled - it sounds like he is asking if I am friendly.  Ah well...  "Yes,I am friendly, be cool, I am putting my gun away, be cool" and I put the gun away.  He replies to say he cannot put his gun down as he is double carrying but that he is friendly too.  I reinforce my good intentions with a display of the various lower numbered F keys as I forget what each one does so randomly sit, put my hands up, wave, stand and sit again.  He waves back :-)  We trade - me giving him the hunting scope in exchange for 8 Winchester rounds and we exchange some intelligence too, me warning him that there are other players camped near by and him telling me that he's already looted the military base I just left so not to bother (though I had already taken a black assault vest which he had left - I think we both thought that was quite amusing)  I was in the base for quite a while - I wonder if he was looting it at the same time and we just missed eaxh other.  Funny how if we had met there it would almost certainly have turned into an instant gun fight but meeting in different circumstances has allowed us to have a rich and valuable interaction - the sort that really makes DayZ such a unique and amazing game.  We part company, and I head back to NEAF.

I've found 6 tents on my travels and it's really made me think about whether I want one of my own or not.  At the same time, I still feel bad about taking those 2 guns, so I make my decision.  I return to the first 2 tents I found a deposit the pristine one - by way of compensation for the guns.  Then I head to the nearby town to do 2 last things.  Firstly, I find some paper and a pen - so I can leave a note to the owners of the 2 (now 3) tents and any others I find.  I write a note but when I read it back the paper is blank.  I try all the paper but they are all blank.  Either the worn pen I have found doesn't work or writing is just bugged at the moment.  Disappointed, I try my luck with the last thing I want to try.  Yesterday, I could not get a frying pan to attach to a cooking tripod at all so today I plan on using one with an existing fireplace in a house.  The frying pan goes in, albeit still in a vertical position (lol) rather than the more traditional horizontal or flat position, but just like the cooking pot, the meat doesn't cook.  Pity :-(

I run off to the forest and call it a night.  It's still raining.

• Like 2

I got really lucky three times yesterday with the same character in the same session. I went to NWAF and saw a heli crash nearby. Due to previous events I was naturally very cautious but eventually went to it. I notice a body nearby and pick up a nice M4 and some other gear. I then move on to the hangars and As I approach them i see two geared guys a bit further ahead. I call to them but they dont respond. They see me though and spread out. I wait for a bit adn is then shot at from an unknown location. I run into the woods and stop in some trees. After a while a guy runs past at a distance and then someone runs straight past my tree without spotting me. I wait for five minutes or so then continue on my travel.

Later I'm on my way to Zeleno and stop near green mountain to drink. I spot a guy at a distance runing, then another and then I spot one just fifty metres from me so I quickly drop down. One more guy appears and they run past me and dissapear towards VMC.

I also had some fun in Cherno. Its been pretty dead for a while but it seems to have picked up a bit. I go there adn see nobody so i go up into blue adn go unto the bridge between blue and triple yellow. But I cant get up so i go back adn then someone starts sniping at me. I take cover as good as i can and look around and suddenly the place is bustling with activity. two bambis below  hiding, two guys in the tower and a sniper on the hospital roof. I suspect the sniper so I shoot a few rounds at him with my SVD but I dont think i got him. I try to get back to blue but I cant so I'm kinda stuck up there. I crawl around for a time til I'm sniped and dies. At least noone can use my loot :)

Does anyobdy know if you can get off that bridge between blue and triple yellow?

Sniped by some lowlife scum at myshkino and killed by a hacker on public. Public is stupid. Half of the times I die its to some invisible guy shooting me through a wall.

My best and oldest stash was apparently found, up near Sinistok. :(

That's two pristine M4s with all the trimmings, a very nice SVD, and an AKM I'm down, as well as a complete SMERSH, complete plate carrier, and thousands of rounds of 5.56 and other ammo types.

Oh well - best get back to looting...

A guy thought it would be a good idea to attack me while I was holding a chainsaw. It wasn't. Also, explain the logic here, Two guys come up to the barrack I am in at Pavlovo mil base, Lots of zombies outside so I had closed the door. I talk to them adn they ask If I am friednly, i say yes, i am a police officer(cuz I was dressed as one). Put down your gun and come out, they say. No i wont be doing that I say but I am friendly. In they come blasting. I shoot one dead and hit the other but gets stuck on a dead zombie and dies. Why even ask if I am friendly if you are going to kill me anyways?

I have met a few friendlies though but also the usual buttholes pretending to be friendly and then shooting you with a sporter even after you've tried to help them. I also noticed something stupid. Having three different characters passing through zeleno on the same night I noticed a lot of newspawns running for Myshkino at different routes. These people dont stop to loot but are just running directly to Myskino to gear up. Pretty silly.

• Like 1

Agree. Also, Myshkino's a deathtrap these days.

My day was made by the very kind efforts of a different poster hereabouts who moved a big camp he'd found to the supermarket west of Kamenka. Taking the gamble, I did a big run all the way down from Stary Yar in the north. After about an hour of solid sprinting I joined the server to find one other player on. I was still pretty jumpy because of the odds that this person had exactly the same idea as me, so got my comms ready to do some negotiating.

In the event he wasn't there (or was perhaps just observing me). I took a pristine M4, ACOG, a 60rnd mag and about 120 rounds of pristine .308 away, leaving much good stuff behind.

Edited by Mookie (original)

This just in.  Pulling a pin on a grenade and stuffing it into a backpack/hunter jacket for wayward survivors to find on the streets of cherno is still beyond hilarious.  Gonna test protector cases + pulled pin + persistence this weekend.  Going to assume it wont work, but we'll see.

Pulled pin grenades are above and beyond my favorite way to KOS.   I can play online chess and read the news on my second PC while I do it.  All I have to do is listen for the explosion, no aiming required!  A good thing, because I'm a pretty terrible shot. 

Edited by Parazight

18 hours ago, Parazight said:

This just in.  Pulling a pin on a grenade and stuffing it into a backpack/hunter jacket for wayward survivors to find on the streets of cherno is still beyond hilarious.  Gonna test protector cases + pulled pin + persistence this weekend.  Going to assume it wont work, but we'll see.

Pulled pin grenades are above and beyond my favorite way to KOS.   I can play online chess and read the news on my second PC while I do it.  All I have to do is listen for the explosion, no aiming required!  A good thing, because I'm a pretty terrible shot. 

Jings, that's nasty. How does it work - does your victim simply have to look inside?

15 minutes ago, Mookie (original) said:

Jings, that's nasty. How does it work - does your victim simply have to look inside?

They just have to pick the item up, basically.