roguetrooper

Rain will be the new night?

If it takes you 2 hours to find a raincoat, where on earth are you looking? The woods?

I was exaggerating. I just hope they won't overdo the overheating. 

Edited by General Zod

The only way to make people play at night without using gamma change is not to make it pitch black, the only reason is that it's no fun to play in total darkness, this is not survival horror. In real life you would find a safe spot and go to sleep, not run around with a flash light like beacon shouting come shoot or eat me. 

Like Briljin said, rain will be all good and fun if it's implement correctly, not like weapon sway was, or loot in military bases adjustment when for a long time nothing spawned in the tents.

* IMO < this should be the default disclaimer on all posts... I have had some of my best experiences at night in the mod - I find it very hard to find a night server in SA.

Of course not, only 2 hours of running (that is if you don't overheat) to find the raincoat. 

Yes it could take you two hours, or five minutes - what's your point? You might suffer some hardship in a survival game? Its clear you are most worried about balancing these mechanics,so please realise this is something that will take a while to happen. If you don't come to terms with this you are just going to get more and more jaded and disappointed when things aren't as you would wish straight away... and it might happen that what you wish and the direction the game takes are two different things...

• Like 1

The absolutely greatest part of players avoids to play in the dark as seen by player distribution across servers with certain times.

I don't play in the dark. In reality I would find a safe spot and bed down for the night. I don't know about you but I would be scared @#$%less walking around with things wanting to eat me. To each his own. Leave me be in peace.

The question is :

What do I have to do on a server where it's raining on a clod evening ? Sit in a shelter and jerk off ? 

In real life I would have no choice because I have no log off option, I'll just have to suffer some boredom, but I don't play games to do boring things. So here is the question, what is there to with adverse weather effect and limited running due to over heating ? 

Sorry General Zod on this one. Play ANOTHER game. Seriously I'm just joking. :lol:

Edited by RAM-bo4250

... this is not survival horror. 

About DayZ

DAYZ is a gritty, authentic, open-world survival horror hybrid-MMO game, in which players follow a single goal: to survive in the harsh post-apocalyptic landscape as long as they can. Players can live through powerful events and emotions arising from the ever-evolving emergent gameplay.

DAYZ is a gritty, authentic, open-world survival horror hybrid-MMO game, in which players follow a single goal: to survive in the harsh post-apocalyptic landscape as long as they can. Players can live through powerful events and emotions arising from the ever-evolving emergent gameplay.

Ok so the horror element seems to be missing at this time.

Sorry General Zod on this one. Play ANOTHER game.

Why just because I don't enjoy reading virtual books or looking at fireplace because it's raining means I should play a different game ?

If they don't make rain kill you in 10 minutes I won't have a problem with it. Just like eating rotten apple, in real life diarrhoea and feeling shit for a day or two in dayZ you die, seems legit.

Some of you seems to be so mad about the whole survival thing that you are willing to turn this game into real life simulator.

Edited by General Zod

To be fair the horror thing is hard to do in a scripted game. I can't figure out how they might get it to work in an open world game. Even so since I only play on First Person servers I know I have turned a corner to come face to face with a zombie or another player and jumped in real life. :)

... this is not survival horror. 

About DayZ

Umm. Where in the hell have I seen this? ;)

Why just because I don't enjoy reading virtual books or looking at fireplace because it's raining means I should play a different game ?

If they don't make rain kill you in 10 minutes I won't have a problem with it. Just eating rotten apple, in real life diarrhoea and feeling shit for a day or two in dayZ you die, seems legit.

Some of you seems to be so mad about the whole survival thing that you are willing to turn this game into real life simulator.

Sorry General. I have edited my original post. I was joking of course. Can't seem to write sarcasm in. Which smiley is the sarcastic look?

Edited by RAM-bo4250

Exactly. If rain helps weed out deathmatchers then this game mechanic is pure win, IMO.

This. Take my mobile beans.

This. Take my mobile beans.

You do realize that that deathmatches will be the least affected group ? They don't live long enough to suffer the consequences of exposure to rain or cold.

I was exaggerating. I just hope they won't overdo the overheating. 

was stated that overheating is too "brutal" right now and wasent intended like this

was stated that overheating is too "brutal" right now and wasent intended like this

As expected.

Is Rain Going to be the new night?.......I think that all depends on how much of an effect it has, and how easy it is to counter. After looking at the .49 notes it appears temp will play a factor too.

I will admit I avoid night servers for the most part now days...I don't mind dusk or dawn...I guess its just out of lazyness. Funny thing is I played more on night servers when I 1st started out of fear of other players then I do now. I found it easier to loot, so long as I new were I was.

If say you get hypothemic or cold, and could just go inside and light a fire warm up. It really would not be bad. If it is something that takes a while to take effect and fairly simple to fix by just going inside for a while in front of a fire. That dosn't sound bad and may add a interesting new aspect to the game. I already am getting used to making fire places to cook meat, Its kind of fun. So long as the effects of cold and wet dosnt just happen in a few seconds, I'm just fine with it.

If this is going to be the new norm I would like to see ponchos be added, a bright yellow rain coat is not what I would want.

Edited by CJFlint

If this is going to be the new norm I would like to see ponchos be added, a bright yellow rain coat is not what I would want.

And dark rain coats
  • Like 1

I think some people on this thread the kinda guys who would rather snipe freshspawns and play Arma Zombiesareaminordistraction 4 than build a fire and play DayZ...

Edited by Owen.

I think some people on this thread the kinda guys who would rather snipe freshspawns and play Arma Zombiesareaminordistraction 4 than build a fire and play DayZ...

Close but I don't snipe freshspawns unless provoked. And here is the kicker, DayZ is a sandbox which means it is what I make of it. If I want to be a sniper I can , if I want to be a no pants axe wielding psycho, I can, if I want to be good guy and help others I can. Just as you can start your fire, read in game book and watch your meat cook. That's the beauty of this game, we are all free to be what we want, all we need to do is to avoid those who would bring us harm (unless the trouble it's what you are looking for).

I think with persist servers, weather effects, and many of the other things that will be added, we will see players having adapt there play styles. Instant barinzino gratification pvp will die down and survival will go up. Its will be a welcome change. I love that part of it and want to see allot more.

I watched some of the DayZ TV live streamers, and honestly was abit shocked on how little some of them cared about what the heath status of there avatars were in. Or even what kind of gear they had...They have a fatalist instant gradifaction aditude toward dayZ...."Well I'm going to die anyways so fuck it". I did not get the impression they were really all that good of players really at all, just instant pvp and thats it really. It seems many who play DayZ perfer instant grafication North East, pvp really. And they don't care about the survival part of the game what so ever. Ive known of players that would die sometimes 2 or 3 times a night pvping. At that point its not even a survival game anymore is it. But sometimes deep down I understand why, its becuase the game dosn't have all its mechanics yet. Theres bugs ect ect....So maybe they think whats the point. To me its the wrong additude.

I just don't try to survive one night, or days...I try to survive for monthes, and even pvp on packed servers...carefully. Thats my goal. I more afraid of game bugs LOL then other players....serously.   

Edited by CJFlint
  • Like 1

And they don't care about the survival part of the game what so ever.

How can they care about something that's not yet in the game ?

Only now we get some adverse effects from weather. But what was there to survive before ?

How can they care about something that's not yet in the game ?

Only now we get some adverse effects from weather. But what was there to survive before ?

You can die from starvation/dehydration. Thats pretty basic survival.

I still wonder: Why play DayZ and complain about bugs, glitches, and about SURVIVAL elements, if instead they can play Wasteland, a mod meant to draw the PvP 4 Lyfe kiddies away?

My only thoughts on this - Russians make some pretty shitty rain coats and wellies. I should be impervious to rain but I still get soaked with them on!

... I know, I know, it's not implemented yet, but I've tried them a few times just in case.  :D

Close but I don't snipe freshspawns unless provoked. And here is the kicker, DayZ is a sandbox which means it is what I make of it. If I want to be a sniper I can , if I want to be a no pants axe wielding psycho, I can, if I want to be good guy and help others I can. Just as you can start your fire, read in game book and watch your meat cook. That's the beauty of this game, we are all free to be what we want, all we need to do is to avoid those who would bring us harm (unless the trouble it's what you are looking for).

You see that's the problem tho.  Without any survival mechanics in place PvP or just KoS in general is the easiest thing to do without worry of consequences.  We don't even have stamina/exhaustion in yet so it's easy for people to run to the nearest military base, stock up on ammo and weapons then head down to the coast to show off their leet skills by killing unarmed players.  

• Like 1

What about a global weather server.  Something that generates the weather pattern for Chernarus, and that info is fed to any server running the game.  End result would be every server has the exact same weather in the same spot.

You see that's the problem tho.  Without any survival mechanics in place PvP or just KoS in general is the easiest thing to do without worry of consequences.  We don't even have stamina/exhaustion in yet so it's easy for people to run to the nearest military base, stock up on ammo and weapons then head down to the coast to show off their leet skills by killing unarmed players.  

It's people who don't understand this that are really going to most dislike the final DayZ product. It's why when people say, it's not CoD, they mean, it's not CoD.

• Like 1