haknslash

Experimental Branch: 0.49 Discussion

The food thing does seem a tricky thing to balance. As it is you have people complain about starving to death when they spawn in well-trafficked areas (that's not to say they should, there are plenty of foragables). However if you have enough food around so that new spawn combat-oriented players don't starve to death constantly, you also have enough that other players can easily go from place to place grabbing a potato here, a kiwi there that keeps them well-fed all the time. In fact, I think most players that have been around long enough have an absurd calorie surplus. Partly this could be mitigated by tying more strenuous activity to more calorie consumption (in the beginning I assumed this was the case), also tying cold weather effects to calorie burn would be nice. This might also reduce the need for a stamina system if high-activity calorie burn was enough. All this can be done without touching the loot tables (though I think they probably should and will be touched).

As for the weather that you mentioned earlier Sharplooter, I get the feeling that on the experimental servers it's always a pretty temperate day and usually it's a pretty temperate day between 10:00 and 18:00. Sometimes it rains but even then if it's not very cold out that's not such a big threat. Weather maybe shouldn't be such a strong mechanic in those circumstances. In time when we have night time, cold and hot days (cold days you can see in stable with your breath showing), I doubt weather will be quite so negligible. It'll be those cold days when it rains that kill you or even just the normal day when you're still wet when it starts getting dark out...

• Like 1

Sounds all reasonable what you have written Ebrim, good aspects :) That calorie surplus seems to be one of the problems, I think the latitude upwards is too big. Probably they should implement a chance of (temporary) diabetic or symptoms like that if you often overfeed yourself to stay for hours ultra energized. But ofc I can imagine the chance for bugs is rising disproportionate the more complex the system gets.

And it sounds just hilarious if the only problem with food you get in an apocalype is a first world problem like diabetic, loool :D

Edit: The thing is the real life is punishing inordinateness often sooner or later with disease or other consequences. I wish Dayz would do this also more often. It's one of the main problems of Dayz when you are fine with gear you get bored and then many(?) ppl start to play Dayz like ArmA or just kill for entertainment. Also hilarious -> an apocalypse were you get bored :D

Edited by Sharplooter
  • Like 2

Also I really wish that in the future, when your character breaks a bone in Dayz, you'll have to rest for over a month in real time.

Sounds all reasonable what you have written Ebrim, good aspects :) That calorie surplus seems to be one of the problems, I think the latitude upwards is too big. Probably they should implement a chance of (temporary) diabetic or symptoms like that if you often overfeed yourself to stay for hours ultra energized. But ofc I can imagine the chance for bugs is rising disproportionate the more complex the system gets.

And it sounds just hilarious if the only problem with food you get in an apocalype is a first world problem like diabetic, loool :D

Edit: The thing is the real life is punishing inordinateness often sooner or later with disease or other consequences. I wish Dayz would do this also more often. It's one of the main problems of Dayz when you are fine with gear you get bored and then many(?) ppl start to play Dayz like ArmA or just kill for entertainment. Also hilarious -> an apocalypse were you get bored :D

Agreed.. an Apocalypse should be anything but boring..... suffocating, terrifying, disgusting, miserable, depressive, exhausting.. but not boring.

I don't have any need to see servers that i can't play on because of said high ping.

Actually you might be a little surprised by what you actually get. I would urge you to give it a try. I have lower ping with servers from the western US but more lag from those than I do from the higher ping servers in ANZAC and Singapore.

Is it only me or does hold breath no longer steady your gun? trying to snipe with a mosin and it wont stop shaking (already used Morphine and a splint) but no changes

The weather system like now has almost no impact on playing the game. I couldn't reach hot/hyperthermia state at all though I tried to force or provoke it (incl. wearing vest, headgear, gloves, boots). At least I could reached the opposite (yellow) cold/hypothermia state, but it had no really impact on gameplay, not more sway then usally with the weapons or something. In fact I didn't have to care what I am wearing atm... imo the char is getting to fast dry after a rain shower and of course to fast soaked when the rain is starting.

Btw I am bored from the food system too (since months) because when I am once full energized (light green), then I never have to carry food with me (just a waste of slots). I am always totally fine with eating occasionally a piece of food what I always find randomly on my journey.

They did this on purpose. They tested Dying from Hpothermia when the patch first came out. Also Hyperthermia was tested and everyone was passing out. This patch they wanted to make sure everyone on an average day could stay comfortable. Biggest thing they need to work on now is still the loot repsawn and persistence.

So when are they going to update stable? sometime this week? or next week?

It's quite likely that it'll happen this upcoming wednesday. Well, at least that's what one can hope for

Also I really wish that in the future, when your character breaks a bone in Dayz, you'll have to rest for over a month in real time.

And when you die your steam account gets deleted

• Like 3

This build is funny. At the same time that I got a fps boost, it has being freezing like a bitch, sometimes it stays like that for 30secs and then comes back, but most of the time I have to crtl+alt+del out of it. Today it happened while I was in a ladder, yesterday someone punched me to death while I was frozen.

Thanks Obama. I hope it doesn't go to stable like this. I hope people stop to rush the devs too.

Edited by Avant-Garde
  • Like 1

Agreed.. an Apocalypse should be anything but boring..... suffocating, terrifying, disgusting, miserable, depressive, exhausting.. but not boring.

agreed

in terms of balancing:

Balancing in a game also means that the devs have to balance not only the in-game apects but also the distinction between real life and in-game life. For example, if you get hit by a bullet in real life it will take you multiple month to recover and after that you would most probably need some kind of rehab training, whereas in a game you only have to get some saline packs or enough food until your heath status is green again - You just can't expect people to stay immobilised and not being able to participate in the action for a longer period of time.

Same goes for food, water and such.

I agree that it is probably to much having to eat every 20 minutes but i am confident that the devs will find the right balance before the final game gets released.

btw, that's what alpha also is for - To test out balancing and analyse player reactions on different approaches of realism

Edited by robophant

btw, that's what alpha also is for - To test out balancing and analyse player reactions on different approaches of realism

I belive that would be on the beta phase, or at least it should be. B0lonce on alpha is a huge mistake imo, because they will add more shit that might unb0lonce what they had b0lonced, so better add everything and b0lonce latter.

EDIT: Game just froze again. WHY DO YOU HATE ME ROCKET, what have I ever done to you man? :(

lol

Edited by Avant-Garde

Is it only me or does hold breath no longer steady your gun? trying to snipe with a mosin and it wont stop shaking (already used Morphine and a splint) but no changes

Whenever i pressed my right mouse button, the crosshair was jumping around randomly a little bit. Also the weapon sway was still to much, even when prone.

I fixed it by splitting "hold breath" and "zoom in" on my key bindings.

Now i have "hold breath" on my left ALT-key and only "zoom in" on my right mouse button. (got my "free view"-binding now on my "mouse 4 button" (thumb button))

Works like a charm - Weapon sway reduced and no more crosshair jumping

So when are they going to update stable? sometime this week? or next week?

Weeellllll..... I have a theory. It will either be tomorrow (Monday) or the usual maintenance day (Wednesday). It makes the most sense for it to be Wednesday. However, Senchi said 3 days ago that on Monday the finished version of Severograd will be added to the game and we were also told by (Hicks I think?) that the old Balota military camp would be removed when 0.49 went to stable; generally map updates are done in big chunks during one update so part of me wants to believe that Senchi's comment also indirectly hinted that 0.49 would be on stable on Monday. We might also just be getting yet another experimental update. Who knows.

Weeellllll..... I have a theory. It will either be tomorrow (Monday) or the usual maintenance day (Wednesday). It makes the most sense for it to be Wednesday. However, Senchi said 3 days ago that on Monday the finished version of Severograd will be added to the game and we were also told by (Hicks I think?) that the old Balota military camp would be removed when 0.49 went to stable; generally map updates are done in big chunks during one update so part of me wants to believe that Senchi's comment also indirectly hinted that 0.49 would be on stable on Monday. We might also just be getting yet another experimental update. Who knows.

Oh man, what about all these crashes? Will it hit stable anyways?

My guess is a hotfix will be issued tomorrow for the crashes (lots of crash to desktops for me still when I finally get on exp. servers , which were actually playing pretty well this morning) and the map update including severograd will be in the .49 stable patch (hopefully on Wednesday). Just my view though based off of others found info ^^.

It could happen!

My guess is a hotfix will be issued tomorrow for the crashes (lots of crash to desktops for me still when I finally get on exp. servers , which were actually playing pretty well this morning) and the map update including severograd will be in the .49 stable patch (hopefully on Wednesday). Just my view though based off of others found info ^^.

I'm hoping they do a fix tomorrow and then push to stable on Wednesday. That seems ideal to me.

• Like 2

Is anyone else getting incredible lag at the server browser ? I was just waiting for all the experimentals to show up , most of them were broken but I knew there was like 10 more hardcore server that weren't showing , I pressed refresh and it lagged wicked bad like it would in game sometimes , and it loads the servers one by one until you get out and load dayz again .. It did the same thing last night and I couldn't get any more servers to show until I reset dayz ... Strange :(

Is anyone else getting incredible lag at the server browser ? I was just waiting for all the experimentals to show up , most of them were broken but I knew there was like 10 more hardcore server that weren't showing , I pressed refresh and it lagged wicked bad like it would in game sometimes , and it loads the servers one by one until you get out and load dayz again .. It did the same thing last night and I couldn't get any more servers to show until I reset dayz ... Strange :(

Yup, happens all the time.  Then it kills my internet browser.  I have to quit the game and wait a couple of minutes to even get my browser back.  Steam and TS are not effected.

Were you at rest for a while before aiming?  I've noticed that any energy exertion, running, etc. will offset the ability to aim well. If your character is huffing and puffing, then no dice...

Spawned in to some unusual places today, twice in a row in front of the bottleneck cliffs between Electro and Cherno, a few times in Cherno and a few times in Electro, none of the usual spots at all.  There is even a spot by the military garages on the north side of Novo.  On the plus side I wasn't being beat to death as I came in, that would come later when I was dumb enough to go to town with out a weapon.

edit: never once did the naked and afraid in Vybor spawn today.  At one point I was being chased by some dude in a yellow hard hat, brandishing a crowbar and screaming "come back here I want your stuff", then the server reset.  So lucky.

Edited by Barnabus

Yup, happens all the time.  Then it kills my internet browser.  I have to quit the game and wait a couple of minutes to even get my browser back.  Steam and TS are not effected.

That sounds like a different problem thought....and most likely not game related. Maybe you browser is hijacked, or you have a nasty bug somewhere. Try playing with your browser close from a fresh computer reboot... or even better, run a malware removal scan.

Edited by Cpanther

How is experimental this morning, are the servers still restarting like crazy? i had to switch back to stable for the weekend because couldn't bare staring at login timers more than playing.   :P

How is experimental this morning, are the servers still restarting like crazy?

Pretty much. There have been a couple of times I got to play for about 30 minutes without a distraction.