haknslash

Experimental Branch: 0.49 Discussion

It's funny how they randomized the loot system to deter hoarders... while adding in persistence so people can hoarde 12 backpacks. That's as annoying as much as the dude who goes to helicopter crashes, takes the loot and hides it so no one else can get it.

Great job dev team!

Please add melee fixing, game crashing (new to me, only in exp) to the priorities. Loot spawning/persistence should be at the bottom of the list seeing how actual game mechinics should work before gameplay.

And adding in all these functions so people can live "off the grid" will deter player interaction even more. -5 more points

Is anyone else able to join a Exper. server?  yesterday i could only join 1st person....now i cant get past ..(wait for host) on any of the servers...

i didn't check but thing servers are down for Tomorrow's update ^^

They've been slowly "breaking" so to speak , going inactive with either 0/40 players and stuck at a reset time like 09:00 or 14:00 ... They haven't talked about a fix yet , most likely because of the new experimental update coming hopefully tomorrow .. They always fix these problems after a week or so though , this time it was just more rough on the servers my guess is because of the more updated loot spawning system the temperature system and general Desync taking the servers down one after the next when they get packed full of 40 people for a day .

It's funny how they randomized the loot system to deter hoarders... while adding in persistence so people can hoarde 12 backpacks. That's as annoying as much as the dude who goes to helicopter crashes, takes the loot and hides it so no one else can get it.

I didn't actually mean I hoard them, I left many of those filled with food and axes on different servers that didn't have the Mega Loot Spawn, and I hid them in places I thought people might be able to find them and get some use out of that stuff.

I mean what do you do with 12 backpacks full of food?

I agree with you that the folks who hide them for themselves are just annoying. On the other hand, yeah, what is the ability to stash stuff for? I just keep a little extra clothing and a couple of weapons I have ammo for, and leave the rest for new spawns.

I can't wait until the loot system is finally balanced out.

Edited by Demonica
  • Like 1

loot respawns, whats your problem with hoarders - peeps play the way they want.

Please add melee fixing, game crashing (new to me, only in exp) to the priorities. Loot spawning/persistence should be at the bottom of the list seeing how actual game mechinics should work before gameplay.

this belongs in a Bug Report, not here.

And adding in all these functions so people can live "off the grid" will deter player interaction even more. -5 more points

again peeps play the way they want. whats your problem with it anyway? you are not coming off as someone I would want to interact with other than popping you in the head at 800 meters.

Edited by Elle
  • Like 7

Great job dev team!

While I certainly understand your points, you must realize the development path for Dayz does not mirror a BF4 or COD game title. This is a survival game with many avenues for players to choose from. I predict the heavy PVP and fast loot players will eventually migrate elsewhere as there are a multitude of games and platforms to enjoy that type of experience.

Just my 2 Krones

Edited by becker44
  • Like 1

Great job dev team!

If its any Conciliation I usually place the M4 and attachments all together, then camp it when im bored and i find x2 heli crashes next to eachother :P 

• Like 1

Wait what rain is going to affect people now or does it? That fucking sucks...

Unless they change the rain because when I play it rains all the time and it takes like 20 seconds maybe to get soaking, if you get any serious illess from that it's going to suck so bad.

Who wants to have to sit in a house for like half an hour because you don't have waterproof gear on? Or go out and slowly die because you can't find medicine or the means to make fire before it escalates to you needing medicine.

I think it should be realistic in that if you are already ill, getting soaking makes it worse not that it outright makes you ill. I live in Scotland, ask any of us if rain makes you horribly ill in minutes I've went an 8 mile walk in the rain with a t-shirt and jeans on, still here today.

Bit of a rant yeah but if they make rain and snow do horrible things the game is just going to get annoying real fast.

On the bright side people who camp for hours shooting will have to pick more hidden spots or wear bright raincoats and get spotted but then it's not exactly hard to hide in a tree.

Wait what rain is going to affect people now or does it? That fucking sucks...

Unless they change the rain because when I play it rains all the time and it takes like 20 seconds maybe to get soaking, if you get any serious illess from that it's going to suck so bad.

Who wants to have to sit in a house for like half an hour because you don't have waterproof gear on? Or go out and slowly die because you can't find medicine or the means to make fire before it escalates to you needing medicine.

I think it should be realistic in that if you are already ill, getting soaking makes it worse not that it outright makes you ill. I live in Scotland, ask any of us if rain makes you horribly ill in minutes I've went an 8 mile walk in the rain with a t-shirt and jeans on, still here today.

Bit of a rant yeah but if they make rain and snow do horrible things the game is just going to get annoying real fast.

On the bright side people who camp for hours shooting will have to pick more hidden spots or wear bright raincoats and get spotted but then it's not exactly hard to hide in a tree.

Yip, Scottish rain is constant, we practically live in the stuff. If and only if its really cold and raining then you may get a runny nose and sneezing at most...but not exactly life threatening.

Weather effect illnesses need to be true to life to be a worthy element in the game.

Elle, thanks for dissecting my post. That was actually a great way to answer. I know people can play how they want, I'm all for that. I have posted in the past I think KOSers have their place along with medics, lone wolves and squads. My point is the recent changes will/have drastically change the way people play this game, at least for many. For the past year, I really have enjoyed this game even with all the bugs, glitches and occasional hacker/cheaters. I think the sales have proven that. In the past dew weeks, I really haven't enjoyed the game as much and that disheartens me with the direction they are going with a new front office so to speak.

Thanks to others who elaborated themselves. That's the community that gives this game hope as it seems directives have changed.

• Like 2

Yip, Scottish rain is constant, we practically live in the stuff. If and only if its really cold and raining then you may get a runny nose and sneezing at most...but not exactly life threatening.

Weather effect illnesses need to be true to life to be a worthy element in the game.

There's another "not quite authentic" thing we have to live with: Rain itself normally doesn't make you sick at all. You can get sick from viruses, bacteria, and other stuff. So you should be more at risk getting sick if you come in contact with sick people (or maybe even animals) than just being wet outside. That's when hyperthermia comes into play. Yay!

I wonder how the new patch is gonna work out, can't wait!

Elle, thanks for dissecting my post. That was actually a great way to answer. I know people can play how they want, I'm all for that. I have posted in the past I think KOSers have their place along with medics, lone wolves and squads. My point is the recent changes will/have drastically change the way people play this game, at least for many. For the past year, I really have enjoyed this game even with all the bugs, glitches and occasional hacker/cheaters. I think the sales have proven that. In the past dew weeks, I really haven't enjoyed the game as much and that disheartens me with the direction they are going with a new front office so to speak.

Thanks to others who elaborated themselves. That's the community that gives this game hope as it seems directives have changed.

The direction of the game never changed ....is more like, until now you been walking in an empty road without obstacles, and you was allowed to run in any direction you want, now they starting to add the "obstacles" to the empty road.

So many people got the two things confuse...a lot of you thought that an "empty road" was the actual game.... :rolleyes:

• Like 1

I'll not dissect this one. you should realize that once "off grid" living as you put it is easily available to everyone then your person to person encounters in the woods become more likely and the map will become more useful overall. its a very good thing that recent changes are drastically changing the way people play the game because at the moment there is still a huge amount of players that treat this game like CoD or BF4 and that is more annoying than anything else I have encountered in the game to include buggy zeds and that shitty glitch death I suffered yesterday. I cannot count the number of vids I have seen that seem to open with players saying things along these lines... "hey you got ammo? cool lets go find some action..." what is that if not the CoD mentality? so yeah I will be living in the woods somewhere keeping an eye out for the likes of you. so keep that in mind when next you venture into the forest for a few sticks.

• Like 1

There's another "not quite authentic" thing we have to live with: Rain itself normally doesn't make you sick at all. You can get sick from viruses, bacteria, and other stuff. So you should be more at risk getting sick if you come in contact with sick people (or maybe even animals) than just being wet outside. That's when hyperthermia comes into play. Yay!

I wonder how the new patch is gonna work out, can't wait!

Rain makes you wet, being wet makes you cold, being to cold kills you.

Both IRL and in DayZ

Yeah, rain doesn't make you sick, it just reduces your resistance to cold. Unless it's very cold outside in DayZ you can be soaked and cold without it really having any effect. I tried sitting in my underwear at 380m in the rain and my guy never got hypothermic after like 20 minutes. Now, if it's night or you can see your breath, that'll be a different story. Still, it's the cold that kills you, not a sickness.

Edited by Ebrim
  • Like 1

Rain makes you wet, being wet makes you cold, being to cold kills you.

Both IRL and in DayZ

But you're not soaking after 30 seconds and in trouble from it.

Wearing wet clothes can be bad for you yes but only really if you have them on for a very long time or are already ill, or just really aren't used the cold temperatures.

Your avatar in game can do all sorts of things as though they're some kind of soldier, they shouldn't be weak to a bit of rain especially not with some thick layers on they shouldn't need to be waterproof.

I hope they don't make it too severe it will limit gameplay so much.

Yeah, rain doesn't make you sick, it just reduces your resistance to cold. Unless it's very cold outside in DayZ you can be soaked and cold without it really having any effect. I tried sitting in my underwear at 380m in the rain and my guy never got hypothermic after like 20 minutes. Now, if it's night or you can see your breath, that'll be a different story. Still, it's the cold that kills you, not a sickness.

You mean now or some time ago you tried that? Because I'm pretty sure until this patch soaking status was just there it didn't actually do anything, same with the cold.

It would be really cool if you got sick from carelessness and your avatar coughed every now and then, alerting other players both to your position and that you're unwell and possibly sluggish.

• Like 1

No update today, that means no update tomorow.... :(

At least we have mod... :/

Edited by igor-vk

You mean now or some time ago you tried that? Because I'm pretty sure until this patch soaking status was just there it didn't actually do anything, same with the cold.

It would be really cool if you got sick from carelessness and your avatar coughed every now and then, alerting other players both to your position and that you're unwell and possibly sluggish.

This was in exp with the first 0.49 patch about a week ago. Currently, it takes almost no time to start getting dry, just duck under a tree or other shelter for a couple minutes and you'll likely be getting dry enough that hypothermia won't be an issue, you also have the option now to manually wring out your clothes which does it faster. I think attacks from zombies, infection from wounds in general (using unclean rags to bandage) and drinking unclean sources of water should be the main sources of illness. Edited by Ebrim

I really like the rain , I've never gotten hypothermic from it but I do play it safe so to speak; If I'm a fresh spawn I wait to make rags out of my t shirt and my first objective is to find an axe some matches and wood and sticks .. Then it's time to find a rain coat or heavy coat so I can run in the rain almost non stop .

At that point your character is back up to a modern mans healthyness .. But if I was running around hungry and thirsty with just a sweatshirt on running through the rain for miles (especially if I wasn't sleeping and eating regularly) then I guarantee any of us would get sick in 30*F weather , as our diet and sleeping patterns have a huge affect on our health ..

If it was the apocalypse most of our immune systems would start to crumble so to speak , and until we got into some cycle of always having a good place to rest and a lot of food and water it would make sense to get sick easily ( not to mention all the diseases and viruses now airborne because of all the people that died , there's gotta be some of that in a post apocalyptic atmosphere) . But hypothermic should be the last stage (like others have said maybe you catch a cough and cold first , then the flu which makes you vomit , then hypothermia if you're still in a cold wet area for hours without drying off ) .

BUT like some people on mountains have experienced while Mountain climbing , hypothermia won't always set in last , if you're healthy but your cold and wet and stay cold and wet you should skip right to hypothermia because many healthy mountain climbers can succumb to this after getting lost in a storm without contracting some virus first .

Can't wait for experimental update !!

This was in exp with the first 0.49 patch about a week ago. Currently, it takes almost no time to start getting dry, just duck under a tree or other shelter for a couple minutes and you'll likely be getting dry enough that hypothermia won't be an issue, you also have the option now to manually wring out your clothes which does it faster. I think attacks from zombies, infection from wounds in general (using unclean rags to bandage) and drinking unclean sources of water should be the main sources of illness.

I just hope they make it able to recover by relaxing inside or by a fire from illnesses, you shouldn't have to depend on medicine for food poisoning etc all the time if you're food poisoned and running around, getting in to gunfights and being slapped about by zombies then it should kill you but it shouldn't get worse and worse until you die regardless of what you do.

I think illness should just force you to take a step back from your hectic life as it does in real life rather than frequently lead to your demise unless you get something really nasty like a major infection.

• Like 2

I just hope they make it able to recover by relaxing inside or by a fire from illnesses, you shouldn't have to depend on medicine for food poisoning etc all the time if you're food poisoned and running around, getting in to gunfights and being slapped about by zombies then it should kill you but it shouldn't get worse and worse until you die regardless of what you do.

I think illness should just force you to take a step back from your hectic life as it does in real life rather than frequently lead to your demise unless you get something really nasty like a major infection.

I haven't been sick often enough to actually test this. The other day I made myself sick intentionally and let it go for a while, eventually I took some charcoal tabs, I stopped getting worse and eventually got better. It may be possible to survive sometimes without intervention. I'll have to play with the current illness system more. It may be the case that the vomiting that eventually comes results in dehydration which ultimately kills you. It may be possible to survive by having a good source of clean water and food around and a little luck without medication.

How about the dev team asks Bear Grylls about all that survival stuff. He will tell them if one dies after 30 minutes without eating beanz or sitting in the rain for 30 seconds :p

Anyway, i am sure all that is now just an issue of tweaking and balancing - I really doubt that, in the finial game, you will die from getting wet or not eating for 30 minutes. So I hope...

How about the dev team asks Bear Grylls about all that survival stuff. He will tell them if one dies after 30 minutes without eating beanz or sitting in the rain for 30 seconds :P Anyway, i am sure all that is now just an issue of tweaking and balancing - I really doubt that, in the finial game, you will die from getting wet or not eating for 30 minutes. So I hope...

Bear Grylls is a moron, better to have a conversation with Les Stroud.

• Like 1