Sign in to follow this  
Foxillus

How the end game should look.

Really. Where? Point me to a dev read where they say it isn't about the zombie apocalypse and survival. You sure you ain't mixed up with CoD or BF or CZ?

Yeah that guy really has his priorities wrong but THAN AGAIN there are half of the ppl on here that think the same thing in terms of what zombies or infected SHOULD and SHOULDN'T do or be doing. lol

And here's the resulting discussion.

http://www.reddit.com/r/dayz/comments/2c3c9i/hicks_206_zombies_have_never_been_the_real_threat/

You can also go dig up some articles where Rocket comments about how when he created dayz it didn't even have zombies, and they were essentially a gimmick.

Zombies are one part of dayz, and a threat, but they're not the main threat, which is what I said.

But the CoD "insults" are cute as always.  Sorry to spoil your illusions buddies.

Edited by Bororm
  • Like 2

And here's the resulting discussion.

http://www.reddit.com/r/dayz/comments/2c3c9i/hicks_206_zombies_have_never_been_the_real_threat/

You can also go dig up some articles where Rocket comments about how when he created dayz it didn't even have zombies, and they were essentially a gimmick.

Zombies are one part of dayz, and a threat, but they're not the main threat, which is what I said.

But the CoD "insults" are cute as always.  Sorry to spoil your illusions buddies.

Time to make it less of a gimmick and more of a threat. Pushing it under the rug will not make things better for the game. I guess the developers will have to unravel there cemented opinions about this to push it through to something more tangible.

• Like 2

This. I'm sure every one knows how an m4/akm/ak101/mosin works. We dont need so many.

I didn't start this topic to really complain about the current status of alpha. I know its in development and buggy as hell. It would just be nice to see the game go in to the direction of having to actually have to survive against the infected, and that's the purpose of the game? I get that its what you make it, be a bandit, be a hero. But zombies should be the primary focus. They should be the single most important feature near completion of the game.

As for my imagination, sure that idea was a bit bland. Yeah it would be crappy to just sit there and hack at zombies with a crowbar. That's not really the point. Its the possibility that you could end up in a situation where you are out-numbered and actually have to try to survive and avoid getting surrounded. Which should happen a lot. It should be hard to get geared up and to build a base. 

TLDR - Obviously its still in alpha and has a lot of bugs. Zombies should be priority # 1, the main show. Its called, "DayZ," ffs. It's not called, "Everyone gear up and be a badass, with tons of sweet lootz." We have enough gear to sufficiently survive.

Zombies should absolutely not be priority number one, player interaction is one of the biggest things that drives DayZ, and it shouldn't be all "everyone is forced to work together because of how difficult the game is." They could definitely use fleshing out and improvement, and a higher degree of difficulty, but not the primary threat 24/7.

Also, "advanced" weapons like the M4A1 or AK-101, vehicles (in general), and all sorts of other gear make this idea moot. Why is any of it ingame if even finding simple hunting rifles will truly feel like a miracle? Do you really think they'll just remove all of that stuff from the game, except for maybe a few basic things like the AKM, which would be like finding El Dorado?

(On another note, the crossbow is actually fairly advanced, being that it is essentially a 1 hit kill, you can re-use bolts, and it has a number of optics. I wouldn't mind it being fairly rare, with most bow-type weapons being crafted)

Time to make it less of a gimmick and more of a threat. Pushing it under the rug will not make things better for the game. I guess the developers will have to unravel there cemented opinions about this to push it through to something more tangible.

They need to be more of a threat, but trying to make them the sole primary danger, to the point that hostile interaction with other players is almost nonexistent, is not a good idea.

DayZ styled gameplay can work without zombies just fine. They're a pretty big part of the game, and it is called "DayZ" after all, but that doesn't mean we need to throw zombies to the front.

Edited by Chaingunfighter

I appreciate that the final balancing of loot will come much, much later down the development line, but I do think they could make some crude changes right away.

Mostly: we don't need this much food, and we don't need this many guns or ammo spawns. Even as testers, we don't need every survivor running round on full health with 3 guns and a backpack full of ammo.

If they cut the numbers of food, firearm and ammo spawns by half, there'd still be more than enough to go around for everyone to survive and probably for everyone to have a weapon - it's just that you might not (hopefully) have ammo coming out of your ears.

They could use the extra space for spawns to give us more everyday stuff like rope and knives and basic tools (stuff that really would be everywhere in DayZ's scenario), and it'd just make everything much more interesting, while still allowing us to 'test'.

I'm guessing you didn't read my post? I'm sure most of the people here never written code or is a developer. When you write code for something you always want to test it thoroughly. Think about it like this. The reason they gave us so much loot is so we can test each individual item under different circumstances. In example what happens when you drink a spite on top of a hill, in a house, in a field, etc...Now multiply that by hundreds even thousands of items. Get the picture? The data you can gather and the more people get loot and use them the more bugs and glitches can be identified and fix or modified properly. Like I stated before it is in early access alpha which is meant for testing not necessarily to cater to everyone's whim. 

This. I'm sure every one knows how an m4/akm/ak101/mosin works. We dont need so many.

I didn't start this topic to really complain about the current status of alpha. I know its in development and buggy as hell. It would just be nice to see the game go in to the direction of having to actually have to survive against the infected, and that's the purpose of the game? I get that its what you make it, be a bandit, be a hero. But zombies should be the primary focus. They should be the single most important feature near completion of the game.

As for my imagination, sure that idea was a bit bland. Yeah it would be crappy to just sit there and hack at zombies with a crowbar. That's not really the point. Its the possibility that you could end up in a situation where you are out-numbered and actually have to try to survive and avoid getting surrounded. Which should happen a lot. It should be hard to get geared up and to build a base. 

TLDR - Obviously its still in alpha and has a lot of bugs. Zombies should be priority # 1, the main show. Its called, "DayZ," ffs. It's not called, "Everyone gear up and be a badass, with tons of sweet lootz." We have enough gear to sufficiently survive.

Let me explain. In development there is no priority #1. There is however a priority list with different levels of importance. Zombies is very high on the priority list, but do understand that it's not only Rockets development team working on zombies. They have other development teams across the world working simultaneously on the different parts of zombies. Different teams have different situations and some might finished before others due to difficulty level, etc...They split everything up. No one person does everything. Everyone does there part. I understand your frustration over the zombies as I have had my own share of frustration, but realize that it is alpha and they gave us many warnings on a in-progress game. Be patient and in time it'll be fixed or implemented. :)

Edited by Kronons
  • Like 1

I appreciate that the final balancing of loot will come much, much later down the development line, but I do think they could make some crude changes right away.

Mostly: we don't need this much food, and we don't need this many guns or ammo spawns. Even as testers, we don't need every survivor running round on full health with 3 guns and a backpack full of ammo.

If they cut the numbers of food, firearm and ammo spawns by half, there'd still be more than enough to go around for everyone to survive and probably for everyone to have a weapon - it's just that you might not (hopefully) have ammo coming out of your ears.

They could use the extra space for spawns to give us more everyday stuff like rope and knives and basic tools (stuff that really would be everywhere in DayZ's scenario), and it'd just make everything much more interesting, while still allowing us to 'test'.

Damn straight.

Zombies should absolutely not be priority number one, player interaction is one of the biggest things that drives DayZ, and it shouldn't be all "everyone is forced to work together because of how difficult the game is." They could definitely use fleshing out and improvement, and a higher degree of difficulty, but not the primary threat 24/7.

Also, "advanced" weapons like the M4A1 or AK-101, vehicles (in general), and all sorts of other gear make this idea moot. Why is any of it ingame if even finding simple hunting rifles will truly feel like a miracle? Do you really think they'll just remove all of that stuff from the game, except for maybe a few basic things like the AKM, which would be like finding El Dorado?

(On another note, the crossbow is actually fairly advanced, being that it is essentially a 1 hit kill, you can re-use bolts, and it has a number of optics. I wouldn't mind it being fairly rare, with most bow-type weapons being crafted)

They need to be more of a threat, but trying to make them the sole primary danger, to the point that hostile interaction with other players is almost nonexistent, is not a good idea.

DayZ styled gameplay can work without zombies just fine. They're a pretty big part of the game, and it is called "DayZ" after all, but that doesn't mean we need to throw zombies to the front.

Hey I just wanted to correct you on one point. As of now the crossbow does work, but the bolts are a one time use. You can't go pick them up. The devs did say they are fixing this next patch. So we'll see. I agree with you there should be a balance of pve and pvp. In a way they should kind of play on each other. Rather than one or the other. IMO anyways. :)

How about a one out of three chance that you spawn as zombie ?

No food, only players. No weapons, only armor, physical advantages over human players like strenght and speed.

Would be a totally new game in the game.

Just got the idea because some posts sound as they would like to have PVP but only with scripted AI. Like "Zombies should be the No.1 threat, but they never will when they are predictable unlike human players are.

I know this will never make it into the game, but it sounds so nice. There would be even zombie clans ! And friendly zombies lol.

This idea somehow got powered by Trouble in Terrorist Town. There need to be traitors among the innocent. :P

Edited by ChainReactor

Zombi

Well you can still have your lovely interaction and pvp but i really think pulling the trigger in a town NEEDS to be more dangerous. Like "should i really shoot in this town just to kill a guy? Or should i interact with him and help get out of the town?" Increasing hordes would do this and making ammo rarer than food would force ppl to think outside the box if they want to survive. Guns and ammo should be like gold. Conserved and used in the most dire of situations if needed.

Edited by Deathlove

Well you can still have your lovely interaction and pvp but i really think pulling the trigger in a town NEEDS to be more dangerous. Like "should i really shoot in this town just to kill a guy? Or should i interact with him and help get out of the town?" Increasing hordes would do this and making ammo rarer than food would force ppl to think outside the box if they want to survive. Guns and ammo should be like gold. Conserved and used in the most dire of situations if needed.

So instead I'll just rush a guy with my axe, if he shoots me he's the one who gets fucked, if I die who cares.

Or just snipe, and the same deal, if he returns fire from town, he's fucked, while I'm safe 800m away.

Maybe I'll just shoot him in the leg and let the resulting horde fuck him over while I run in circles laughing.

I mean the issue with that line of reasoning is in your quote "just to kill a guy?," people who play to pvp don't think that way, their reason for playing is to kill a guy.  So I'm going to kill a guy regardless, I'm not going to stop and suddenly think I should be his friend instead just because there's more zombies around.  If anything, I'm going to use that to my advantage.

Edited by Bororm

So instead I'll just rush a guy with my axe, if he shoots me he's the one who gets fucked, if I die who cares.

Or just snipe, and the same deal, if he returns fire from town, he's fucked, while I'm safe 800m away.

Maybe I'll just shoot him in the leg and let the resulting horde fuck him over while I run in circles laughing.

I dont think the woods should even be safe to be honest. You should have NO room to be safe in for the most part. Thats fine but in doing so you alert them to you as well when you do that stuff and some will go after you regardless of who shot first. So even on a hill you should never be 100% safe.

I dont think the woods should even be safe to be honest. You should have NO room to be safe in for the most part. Thats fine but in doing so you alert them to you as well when you do that stuff and some will go after you regardless of who shot first. So even on a hill you should never be 100% safe.

The result is still changing tactics rather than curving behavior.

How about a one out of three chance that you spawn as zombie ?

No food, only players. No weapons, only armor, physical advantages over human players like strenght and speed.

Would be a totally new game in the game.

Just got the idea because some posts sound as they would like to have PVP but only with scripted AI. Like "Zombies should be the No.1 threat, but they never will when they are predictable unlike human players are.

I know this will never make it into the game, but it sounds so nice. There would be even zombie clans ! And friendly zombies lol.

This idea somehow got powered by Trouble in Terrorist Town. There need to be traitors among the innocent. :P

I don't think they will ever implement that, but I do believe that once Dayz implements the steam workshop into the game people will have mods to do that. You just have to wait until this game is released and some one develops a mod. Lol xD

Rocket stated that increasing the zombie to about 10k zombies is not restrictive to cities. He did say he wanted to put farmer zombies at farms and maybe random hunters in forests and such. No where is truly safe, but instead you look for places that are safer. If you get what I'm trying to say. lol

The result is still changing tactics rather than curving behavior.

Changing tactics is fine but again you should never be 100% safe from anything including infected.

this map needs about 30k zombies on it at any given time.

Rocket stated that increasing the zombie to about 10k zombies is not restrictive to cities. He did say he wanted to put farmer zombies at farms and maybe random hunters in forests and such. No where is truly safe, but instead you look for places that are safer. If you get what I'm trying to say. lol

And give them some new skins. You get tired of looking at the same skins every day. And the worst part is none of these infected are black or of any different type of race.... XD

this map needs about 30k zombies on it at any given time.

You have to keep in mind server performance. Lol It's a give and take. 

And give them some new skins. You get tired of looking at the same skins every day. And the worst part is none of these infected are black or of any different type of race.... XD

I've heard they are putting new animations. But haven't heard about that. I would definitely like to see that! Haha!

You have to keep in mind server performance. Lol It's a give and take. 

I've heard they are putting new animations. But haven't heard about that. I would definitely like to see that! Haha!

Some fat ones would be nice to. Maybe run a little slower but they should take more of a beating. Nothing special there just hardier maybe than other infected in terms of keeping warm.

I haven't seen any of those threads about zombies being too difficult/numerous or food being scarce (pretty much the contrary). I have seen threads asking for more weapons (civ and mil grade) wich I'm fine with.

The game you describe imho would be BORING when u say at it's endgame you should be lucky to have a crossbow, so the mid game is just punching through zombies? and...

I agree the ammo spawns are all over the place and it is relatively easy to find gun+bullets but in the end we are always using the same guns: SKS and Mosin for civillian weaponry since the mags for the rest of the other weapons are hard to come by.

There are so many guns and so many magazines and that much ammunition because there isn't just content variety. If they add more weapons it would actually be harder because the chances for you to find the correct ammunition/magazines/attatchments would be reduced QUITE A LOT if they add like 10 weapons or so.

1- Zombies are EASY, they are just buggy.

2- Zombies aren't numerous, they just spawn with instant aggro. In the game's current state there are very few zombies.

3- The main "WANNABE" focus of this game is survival but PvP will ALWAYS, NO MATTER WHAT, BE THE REAL FOCUS.

4- Making loot super scarce will only encourage KOS as if you are starving and you see another survivor you would think "oh well maybe I can eat his flesh" or maybe "oh well maybe he has a can of beans I can eat let's kill him".

Let's be honest. The endgame of DayZ atm is finding a mag for your engraved m1911 or all the attatchments for your M4/FNX.

How should it be in my opinion? The weaponry loot should remain more or less the same, with a wider variety it would be way more exciting and hard to come by the right attatchments/ammo for your gun. Food? Food spawn should be reduced by at least half. You have crops, hunting, plant/fruit harvesting etc etc. Drinking at wells should be a risk because of infections. Safe ways to drink would be with the ingame purification tablets and from canned drinks.

Weapons should inflict MUCH more damage to other geared survivors. I said geared because if you shoot a naked civilian he will drop almost instantly with any weapon. If the survivor is geared, the bullet will go through more layers of clothing/attatchments and the incoming damage is way too low at the moment. Items absorb too much damage...

Expanded medicine with removal of low velocity bullets or else infection leading to "sick" state and death.

Morphine/splint being less effective. If your leg is broken and you heal it with splint/morphine there should be a new animation, slower than running, maybe at the same speed of walking. For fun gameplay reasons, no1 wants to stand still for 1h waiting for their limbs to heal...

Vehicles should be the next big factor coming into endgame. Vehicles shouldn't be hard to come by but repairing them has to be really hard. Back on the mod you would carry the wheels on your backpack, I propose for them being carried on your hands one by one and they shouldn't spawn all over the place. Same with all other repairing materials such as engine or windscreen.

Basebuilding shouldn't go Epoch style, more like underground stashes, barricading, simple walls, deer-stand-like towers and it's pushing it.

Making the gasmask a requirement for certain underground caves where very good loot is located and these caves are flooding with bandits/zombies.

So, I have read so many threads about how there are too many zombies/zombies too stronk/ect or how there should be more military/civilian weapons. I like to think that the end game should be about purely surviving.

{1) You should have to struggle to find ANYTHING. Picture Yourself struggling to find food to ease a grumbling stomach, due to fear of entering a city/town because of ZOMBIES. People are getting to focused on loot, vehicles, and pvp. Its suppose to be a zombie survival simulator. }

{2) The realism in this game so far is uncanny and I love it, but, right now its not quite what I feel it should be about. I read someones post just a minute ago about how they were overwhelmed with zombies and soon died. Imagine that! Death from being attacked by so many zombies. One after the other, they should make you run for your life and try to find safety. }

{3) Screw the PvP aspect, sure it will be a part of the game but the biggest fear should be to go anywhere there might even be zombies. Like on the walking dead for instance. When they went to the city in the beginning and there where hoards and hoards of zombies. They had to try and think of a way to get out of their situation. Imagine you were stuck in some building with nothing but a crowbar or some shit and you had to figure out how you were going to survive. Right now the direction its going is pretty much a endless cycle of, avoid small amounts of zombies and get a full kit. Loot is so abundant its ridiculous. You should be lucky to find even a fucking crossbow. Ammo should be so scarce you should have to reconsider using it on someone else.}

1) Struggle to find ANYTHING? Come on man, that really depends on how long in the past the apocalypse occurred doesn't it?. In DayZ it appears that the Civil War, plague and Zed apocalypse occurred as recently as two or three months in the past and that the conflagration left the area depopulated. Chernarus, at the time the player enters with his flashlight and T shirt has about 225 square kilometers and that indicates a population density** of one human (player) per two square kilometers (for a full 100 player server) at the most. There would logically have been about 25,000 citizens of Chernarus (This is based on the the population density before the apocalypse). If Chernarus had a five day food supply left for its citizens before the apocalypse that would mean nearly  three year food supply for 100 survivors. And likewise weapons, ammunition and clothing would be plentiful for the survivors. The world you desire would not actually exist for several years after the apocalypse

But a great deal of that gear SHOULD be found on Zeds you have killed. You would find some serviceable clothing and gear on Zeds and you would loot them naked wash and disinfect the items you took and you're in business.     

** My assumption. The Chernarus Population density before the apocalypse  EQUALS The average population density of Romania 85/sqkm  +PLUS+  Czech Republic 135/sqkm (220/sqkm) DIVIDED BY 2 EQUALS 110/sqkm.

2) I agree the more Zeds the better.

3) No! Loot would only be as scarce as you desire it to be after three or four years since the apocalypse ran its course. However I do agree that there should be more Zeds guarding the loot in military bases and cities because if just 20% of the Population turned into Zeds that would be about 4800 Zeds hanging around.

And along with having the ability to lock and barricade doors there should be more Free Range Zeds everywhere in the wilderness as there are in the Black Forest. 

I like the rapid Zed re-spawning rate especially in the large cities where it should be even more rapid as this would cause a lessening of the PvP, Death Match, KoS nonsense. The woods around the cities should be infested with Zeds 

--------------------------------------------------------------

Katana67 wrote, "Trust me, it isn't the military gear that provides for PvP. Granted you're not explicitly saying this, but I see this used all the time as a scapegoat for KOS. Which is ludicrous."

Exactly correct! That military weapons cause PvP is an absurd notion! People will fight with rocks pitchforks, machetes, knives, shotguns, CZ527s, Blazes  and home made bows and zip guns if that is what is available. For a group of bandits the gunmen provide the base of fire and the melee guys do swarm attacks against easy targets of opportunity and Nothing Changes.    

Edited by Xbow
  • Like 2

There used to be some DayZ mods that focused on hardcore survival - they died because of lack of popularity, people complained that they were hard.

I expect the same would happen if SA leaned towards hardcore survival experience - people super excited, start playing, "baw, it's hard", empty servers.

• Like 1

Not an mmo dude and its a sandbox. Sandbox game=no end game just what you make of it.I hate that term endgame i even hated it in mmos.

• Like 3

But then again from what i hear after the game is done or near done its dayz it will never be 100% done because they will be patching and adding stuff as they go.They are suppose to open up mid support as well so im sure we will see some great mod teams and pve/pvp/rp whatever servers you may desire.

I agree, it should not be an endless spawn of zombies. My point is that they should be the primary focus, in the end game! I would rather be worried about running into a pack of zeds, rather than a player thats fully decked out. People should have to group up to survive. Make a camp. The ones who are lucky enough to find a gun should be the ones to go out there and bring resources back to camp.

I think this is where you're wrong: people should NOT have to group up to survive, people do NOT need to make a camp, the Z's should NOT be the end game... The whole core of DayZ is that noone tells you what to do, that is both DayZs biggest strength and weakness. You want to play like this? Fine. You want to sit at a lake, fishing all day and living of that? Fine. You want to be the hero of the South? Fine. You want to kill on sight? Fine :( You want to slay Zs? Run marathons around the map? Sell items? Hold people up? Cut down forests with your axes? Fine :)

There used to be some DayZ mods that focused on hardcore survival - they died because of lack of popularity, people complained that they were hard.

I expect the same would happen if SA leaned towards hardcore survival experience - people super excited, start playing, "baw, it's hard", empty servers.

DayZ Mercenary mod was awesome. It had can openers, you needed paper to make fireplace, you had to purify water...But it was never popular. Right now SA lacks more details that can slow down the game. Things like sickness, infections, body temperature, dirty water poisoning, less canned food, better loot tables. Once when you have vomit every 5 minutes because you drink dirty water or ate raw meat, you wont be able to snipe from Berezino apartments. I remember back in mod we used to search all evening to find damn antiobiotics. In mean time we had to hunt animals and cook meat to keep blood level and stay alive. That is what dayz should be like. Once modding is available, someone should make mod without zombies and with all weapons from Overwatch mod, so all kiddies go play that.

• Like 1

Hey I just wanted to correct you on one point. As of now the crossbow does work, but the bolts are a one time use. You can't go pick them up. The devs did say they are fixing this next patch. So we'll see. I agree with you there should be a balance of pve and pvp. In a way they should kind of play on each other. Rather than one or the other. IMO anyways. :)

Well, I'm just assuming under regular gameplay standards. I guess at this moment it's not as viable because of that, but generally it would be.

DayZ Mercenary mod was awesome. It had can openers, you needed paper to make fireplace, you had to purify water...But it was never popular. Right now SA lacks more details that can slow down the game. Things like sickness, infections, body temperature, dirty water poisoning, less canned food, better loot tables. Once when you have vomit every 5 minutes because you drink dirty water or ate raw meat, you wont be able to snipe from Berezino apartments. I remember back in mod we used to search all evening to find damn antiobiotics. In mean time we had to hunt animals and cook meat to keep blood level and stay alive. That is what dayz should be like. Once modding is available, someone should make mod without zombies and with all weapons from Overwatch mod, so all kiddies go play that.

The biggest reason that finding antibiotics was difficult was simply because there were only a few different places they could spawn on the entire map;

• A few hospitals, all of which were near to spawn points
  • Military field hospitals, somewhat scattered
  • Helicopter crashsites in medical boxes

That, and the infection mechanic was pretty poorly implemented, because it was almost guaranteed infection if you were hit even once, avoiding being hit was pretty difficult with the glitchy zombies, and infection meant certain death if you didn't get antibiotics.

I don't see how adding weapons from Overwatch makes it more of a "kiddy game", all that those were was guns already in the mod, weapons copied from ArmA 2 mods, or simply vanilla weapons that weren't in the mod's official releases. That, and the non-DayZ weapons really only extended to SCARs and ACR rifles, not really outlandish or super out-of-place.

Now, if you just mean to make guns as common as in overwatch, then I can see your point.

Edited by Chaingunfighter