banjo (DayZ)

Should Rocket go sooner rather than later?

They dont have much in common.

One guy worked hard in his industry for 25 to 3o years before striking it rich while the other guy had a very creative idea and stuck it rich over night.

They have nothing in common.

It will be in good hands regardless if Rocket stays or goes.

I believe this to be correct.

• Like 1

Dean put zombies in arma. Thats nothing special at all..

The combination of zombies and amra is what makes this game, not any idea dean had. He was lucky.

And youtube commentators made dayz popular. 

• Like 1

look at Arma 3 Breaking Point as an example. its soooooooooooooo far ahead of SA its embaressing tbh.

Arma3 breaking point is a mod on top of another game, DayZ is a game in it's own and can not/should not/will not be compared as the foundations are already pre-made, this game is being built from the ground up.

• Like 4

We would much rather have a fixed core, not tents and persistent loot.

Its been said so many times, yet it seems to be hard to get for some people. You don't bugfix the prototype before all features are implemented. Is this honestly so hard to get?

In Alpha, they will add all the content they like to the game. Once this is been done they will start bugfixing, because every hotfix on the fly will possibly cause problems with other content. You don't fix stuff you're about to break anyway sometime soon.

This is early access alpha. You did not pay to play a game, you did pay to have a first live-look on what they are developing, and you are asked to help with that.

• Like 4

When I first bought this game, I didn't enjoy it at all, but as the months rolled by I have seen immense improvements to the game and for the most part this seems to be shaping up to be a fantastic experience for me. Updates are coming out quicker and quicker, and the more they update, the better the game gets.

Is this team the best?

No.

Do I think they have their priorities in order? 

No.

Is this game anywhere near being finished?

No.

Am I confident that the finished product of this game will be incredibly amazing?

Yes.

• Like 2

When I first bought this game, I didn't enjoy it at all, but as the months rolled by I have seen immense improvements to the game and for the most part this seems to be shaping up to be a fantastic experience for me. Updates are coming out quicker and quicker, and the more they update, the better the game gets.

Is this team the best?

No.

Do I think they have their priorities in order? 

No.

Is this game anywhere near being finished?

No.

Am I confident that the finished product of this game will be incredibly amazing?

Yes.

Thats a nice way to see it...have my beans  :beans:

Ugh another one of these threads. 

If development falls behind a milestone, then that's because it's how development works. They can't make things go faster than they're going. 

As far as bugs go, that's what a fucking alpha is for, you push all your content into the game, and then you fix the bugs during beta, because the devs are changing shit every patch, and new bugs appear as a result of that. 

The next patch is looking very promising, with proper medical and weather starting to take affect aswell as persistent items and tents starting to work across all servers, so unless you idiots are whinging about lack of cars and zombie desync, then I fail to see what anyone means by lack of progress. 

Rocket is no genius coder, neither is he project team leader of the year, but he did have a fucking great idea, and I think it's only fair that he stays as long as he feels he is needed, to ensure that his idea is executed in exactly the way he intended, because that's what we all bought into. 

• Like 2

This scrutiny wouldn't exist if Alpha was closed.

• Like 7

Come or go i dont think it will matter to much in the scheme of the game. Hell at this point i think it be fine for him to go home to his family ( as he has expressed his want to do this for over a year now) ,Id say if he went home but stayed on as an advisor (eg they email/skype him and go we got this idea to add and he goes yeah that fits the idea of dayz or you crazy that make it more of a etc etc.

He could do a little PR work as although his style was um less professional than what some might expect but i actually found his gamer like enthusiasim was infectious he wasnt some buisness director speaking about the game like a robot.

I actually think they should have made a move like this behind closed doors it would have saved the upstir in the community because we would be none the wiser and dean would be in name be still connected to Dayz hell do we even know for sure he does that much for the game now( i am sure he does but for all we know he may just be figure head now lol)

• Like 1

What are you talking about? We would much rather have a fixed core, not tents and persistent loot. I didnt ask for new guns or new towns. I would have been happy if not one single new item was created in the last 9 months and they simply worked on a new engine and fixed the broken core........ Because they knew the game could not handle more zeds or a working core.

This whole idea that Dayz leaders were trying hard to appease the players makes no sense. Their job should be to fix the game.

Clearly i am answering the exact post that i quoted, maybe you should go back and reread it ? I don't know why i bother with these topics as everything is out there for everyone to read or watch but many just seem to miss it,ignore it or are totally oblivious.

• Like 4

I find it disturbing how many people talk about Rocket as if they know him personally or could read his thoughts

If Rocket should stay or leave, or why is he a good or bad team leader is not our business and discussing it only feeds speculation which is not good or productive

this thread should be locked
  • Like 2

This scrutiny wouldn't exist if Alpha was closed.

YUP.  but then we wouldn't see the benefits from extra cash injection.

There's bound to be some that bought pre-access that will dislike it on release, but I'm willing to bet that 90% of these "why u no giev game yet" types will do backflips in their sleep when the finished product is released.

Honestly people, really... BI has a bit to lose here, they've got a string of excellent mil-sim games and industry exposure, but this is a risk they've taken on diversification of product - EVEN MORE SO now that they've publicly stated there will be a PS4 release.  Dean also has this level of exposure, but he's been the poster child for DayZ (perhaps rightfully so) since inception.

can you imagine what would happen to his career, and that of others if he just jumped ship and the game crumbled to shit?

This isn't SEGA/Gearbox or EA: multimil/billion dollar companies that are generally faceless and despite spurning their consumers, the drones still lap up their shit from the trailing papers that are stuck to their feet as they fumble from release product to release.

If DayZ fails, that is a big deal for Dean and perhaps many BI staff.  Your pessimism arguably keeps the mercury level up, but at the end of the day, your words are all just hot puff.  The proof will be in the pudding, and people stand to gain a lot, or fail miserably in this endeavour.  If they fuck up, they've got 2million screaming mouths from the PC crowd, a PS4 community that's just gonna say 'wut' and a whole legion of XBone fanboys that will be squirting all over their rooms in glee, and won't waste a second to brag and boast regarding the dismal failure of DayZ and PS4.

The middle-ground scenario is that they release a worthwhile product that is either dumbed down or not critically received come release.  I think this is more likely than a failure, but still rather improbable, given my current appraisal of the game.

People should need to post screenshots of their hours played before starting these kinds of threads ...

Edited by q.S Sachiel
  • Like 1

People should need to post screenshots of their hours played before starting these kinds of threads ...

How is that relevant in any possible way ?

Higher hours played only means one of two things.

You have alot of free time to play or you are a glutton for punishment.

• Like 4

It will be in good hands regardless if Rocket stays or goes.

Heck it might even get better once more of the experienced Arma 3 devs transition over to dayz although I personally hope they stay on Arma since Arma is the most important franchise for BI.

I don't see them leaving the arma boat now, they have to work on the two upcoming DLC and an expansion. Arma 3 will get new stuff until the end of next year.

Dayz already have enough people working on it (New office in Pragua, one in Slovakia and now they also have help from the new studio in Thailand). 

I don't see them leaving the arma boat now, they have to work on the two upcoming DLC and an expansion. Arma 3 will get new stuff until the end of next year.

Dayz already have enough people working on it (New office in Pragua, one in Slovakia and now they also have help from the new studio in Thailand). 

Yup Arma is Bohemias baby and it should stay that way.

Arma will get even bigger once the launcher is fully developed as it will allow users to install , download mods and join servers with even greater ease making the wonder mods even more accessible for new players.

How is that relevant in any possible way ?

Higher hours played only means one of two things.

You have alot of free time to play or you are a glutton for punishment.

Because it feels like everyone's comparing it to the mod, which makes me think they've only just hopped on the SA wagon and want it like mod now, without seeing the progression that's taken place towards a finished product?

Didn't mean to sound like an elitist, at least in that part of the comment ;)

Edited by q.S Sachiel

Because it feels like everyone's comparing it to the mod, which makes me think they've only just hopped on the SA wagon and want it like mod now, without seeing the progression that's taken place towards a finished product?

Didn't mean to sound like an elitist, at least in that part of the comment ;)

Heck I would bet most of the people complaining jumped in without even playing the mod.

The problem stems from people comparing stand alone to finished products and SA is not one now and will not be one for a very long time.

But regardless of their play time even the most negative of feedback still has some useful elements to it. Therefor regardless of the players playtime everyone's opinion is equally valid.

..//..

in no other industry would the creative mind behind an idea be put in full charge of overseeing its development through to market

..//..

Wow - we really feel like saying some BIG THINGS today, don't we

in no other industry ?? ...that certainly sounds impressive .. hmm, let's see ..

John D. Rockefeller Henry Ford Rupert Murdoch Cornelius Vanderbilt Andrew Carnegie

Richard Branson William Randolph Hearst J. P. Morgan Warren Buffett Bill Gates

How many industries is that ? Are there many  "other industries"  I've missed ??

and these are ONLY the ultra big, obvious, dudes (that everyone knows about except you), I could spend an afternoon researching and come up with THOUSANDS and THOUSANDS of names of people who have taken a project from conception through to marketing

and done VERY well by it, and put out GREAT products.. stuff we use and like ..

check your wardrobe, check your pockets, check your car, check your living room, check your TV, check your walls, check the street,

check at work, check the shops, check the  INTERNET  ..   look anywhere, look everywhere, dude ...    don't live with your eyes shut.

[and just to get back to reality a little.. in case you want to try to deal with it .. where did you get the idea that rocket is doing this 'solo' stuff anyway?  is this from your imagination? ..from where?]

300px-Ford_Motor_Company_Logo.svg.png

Edited by pilgrim
  • Like 5

Ugh another one of these threads. 

If development falls behind a milestone, then that's because it's how development works. They can't make things go faster than they're going. 

As far as bugs go, that's what a fucking alpha is for, you push all your content into the game, and then you fix the bugs during beta, because the devs are changing shit every patch, and new bugs appear as a result of that. 

The next patch is looking very promising, with proper medical and weather starting to take affect aswell as persistent items and tents starting to work across all servers, so unless you idiots are whinging about lack of cars and zombie desync, then I fail to see what anyone means by lack of progress. 

Rocket is no genius coder, neither is he project team leader of the year, but he did have a fucking great idea, and I think it's only fair that he stays as long as he feels he is needed, to ensure that his idea is executed in exactly the way he intended, because that's what we all bought into. 

What was the great idea? I seem to of missed it. All he did was put zombies in arma right?

Clearly i am answering the exact post that i quoted, maybe you should go back and reread it ? I don't know why i bother with these topics as everything is out there for everyone to read or watch but many just seem to miss it,ignore it or are totally oblivious.

They way you were responding to whoever's post you made it sound like the Dayz team has desperately tried to add things to the game because that's what players are demanding. I was saying that's not true. Most people want game to work right and could care less about new content. I know you guys are saying they are not supposed to fix the core yet in alpha and just add new content. But this engine is so bad, that adding things to it is a waste of time because they essentially have to start all over again in my opinion.

Wow - we really feel like saying some BIG THINGS today, don't we

in no other industry ?? ...that certainly sounds impressive .. hmm, let's see ..

John D. Rockefeller Henry Ford Rupert Murdoch Cornelius Vanderbilt Andrew Carnegie

Richard Branson William Randolph Hearst J. P. Morgan Warren Buffett Bill Gates

How many industries is that ? Are there many "other industries" I've missed ??

and these are ONLY the ultra big, obvious, dudes (that everyone knows about except you), I could spend an afternoon researching and come up with THOUSANDS and THOUSANDS of names of people who have taken a project from conception through to marketing

and done VERY well by it, and put out GREAT products.. stuff we use and like ..

check your wardrobe, check your pockets, check your car, check your living room, check your TV, check your walls, check the street,

check at work, check the shops, check the INTERNET .. look anywhere, look everywhere, dude ... don't live with your eyes shut.

[and just to get back to reality a little.. in case you want to try to deal with it .. where did you get the idea that rocket is doing this 'solo' stuff anyway, is this from your imagination ..from where?]

300px-Ford_Motor_Company_Logo.svg.png

Are you seriously trying to argue about this? Rocket has already announced he is leaving so your whole argument that creative minds who sell their ideas should be in charge of the entire development process just blew up in your own face.

Are you seriously trying to argue about this? Rocket has already announced he is leaving so your whole argument that creative minds who sell their ideas should be in charge of the entire development process just blew up in your own face.

hi hothtimeblues .. wha ?  are you talking to me ?

did you read the bit where I said :

<< where did you get the idea that rocket is doing this 'solo' stuff anyway, is this from your imagination ? >>

So .. what argument ? you mean someone else's argument ? I made an obvious statement that a lot of industries can point to people who have done 'that stuff' very well and some of them have become famous for it. But you know that already. It's only a fact. So where is the argument ?  .. you're free to do as you like I guess, but there arent any facts in what you're saying.. a few people on this thread seem to want to say impressive things that don't have meaning

for some strange crazy reason ..

pretty zany hu ?

Edited by pilgrim
  • Like 2