banjo (DayZ)

Should Rocket go sooner rather than later?

But it's a good thing that they most likely read none of this filth otherwise they would have dropped the project a long time ago.

Good thing this is not how business works. "The people that bought my game are mean to me. Better just drop the project..."

Edited by scriptfactory
  • Like 2

As someone who has worked on dozens of software projects in several fields over the past decade, there is nothing unusual or troubling about either the development practices or pace of the process Rocket is running. The problem here is that there are a lot of people in here spouting opinions with absolutely no experience to back it up. Game development takes years, and in this case you have purchased the privilege of observing and participating in that process to a limited extent. Progress is incremental, and we are very very far from the finish line. If you can't contain your frustration at having to deal with game mechanics that are in the process of being built and refined, then you need to go do something else and come back in a few years when the game is complete. No one wants to read thread after thread of players demonstrating their ignorance and entitlement at length, so get over yourselves.

• Like 5

Im torn on this..

In a fairytale land where I can drink a never ending beer while watching a unicorn stroll pat my window, R would stay till the end. He still be "yelling at the CEO" for features to be done right.

But I would concede without that the project may move faster. Do we want that though? Do we want beta next week....full release 6 months later with a few features and bugs everywhere. Or would it be best to wait for how long we were told it would take (that being beta in 4 and a bit months....12 months later full release) and have a much much better game. I hope that when he does leave they stick with the current timeframe, do tings right and keep to R's vision as best they know it.

Another thing is that everyone has to start somewhere, everything has to be learnt. OK so maybe there have been mistakes on this project (not many IMO...its going pretty damn well) imagine what hes leant from the experience. So I say please stay Rocket....stay and make sure its done right! But if you do go, BI, take your time. :)

Arma will get even bigger once the launcher is fully developed as it will allow users to install , download mods and join servers with even greater ease making the wonder mods even more accessible for new players.

You mean Steam?

Get your heads out of your asses.. You sound like a bunch of petulant children.

And we have a winner.

What was the great idea? I seem to of missed it. All he did was put zombies in arma right?

nope

- you missed it

No. Rocket has set out a lot of the big milestone features that he sees as being core to the experience. These are all very interesting and very compelling to me personally, and with the amount of money in the coffers I can't see why these can't be achieved. What they need is time.

Also all you need to do is listen to interviews with people like Chris Torchia to see that they have quite a bit of decision making power and free reign in their respective areas.

• Like 1

The worst thing about Dean Hall is that his player model's hair clips through everything I put on his head. 

• Like 2

What was the great idea? I seem to of missed it. All he did was put zombies in arma right?

If it was so simple why didn't you do it?

Rocket or No, at this point it doesn't make a difference. The game is shaping up fine, it'll probably be much like BIs previous games on release; somewhat buggy and demanding on your system, but all that'll be overshadowed by the quality of the gameplay.

I do think the OP and a lot of the posters are reading too much into what they think they know about Dean Hall. I'm not a fan of making assumptions about people when your only exposure to them is second hand through media and speculation. Kind of TMZ nonsense that doesn't have any value IMO.

• Like 2

This entire thread is funny.  I wish I knew Bohemia as intimately as everyone here does to be able to make these types of assumptions.  Dean?  Can we do lunch?

This entire thread is funny.  I wish I knew Bohemia as intimately as everyone here does to be able to make these types of assumptions.  Dean?  Can we do lunch?

Salad.

No lettuce bro.

Salad.

No lettuce bro.

OK bro, you bring the salad

2h3y7md.jpg

Lobster, foie gras and monkfish liver with Hitachino Nest White Ale

ok ?

• Like 2

OK bro, you bring the salad

2h3y7md.jpg

Lobster, foie gras and monkfish liver with Hitachino Nest White Ale

ok ?

That'll do ...as long as it isn't undermodelled.

• Like 1

Rocket agrees. He was crying on /r/dayz about people making assumptions about the DayZ dev process. Kinda' unprofessional, to be quite honest.

The reason is not because of meme's (which can be quite funny), nor bad suggestions - it is because I am sick and tired of people making irrational and unsupported assumptions. Particularly, assumptions about the dev team and myself and how things may or may not have affected us.

http://www.reddit.com/r/dayz/comments/2ekiyb/rdayz_we_need_to_talk/ck11cde

Edited by scriptfactory

Not my business.  Don't even know the guy.  Even if I did I wouldn't presume to know enough about his business to guide him in his life.

• Like 2

1)  I have not read the replies.  This is commentary directed straight from the original post.

2)  We are not in the room.  We do not actually know the relationships inside the Dev Workshop, the office, at lunch and break time.  We cannot judge this very important matter.

3)  There is validity on both sides of this argument.  It should probably happen.

4)  I like DayZ

5)  It will be successful with or without Rocket.

6)  It will always be his game.

7)  He should be on TMZ.  Maybe he could date a kardashian.

Edited by Itchypantz

If it was so simple why didn't you do it?

What was so difficult about putting in critically broken zombies that have never been implemented in an acceptable manner yet?

Yes Rocket is awesome for creating the idea and he deserves all the success for coming up with this idea. But lets get real, the zombies are so terribly broken that there is no way it was difficult to put them in. It if it was, then modding arma was a waste of time and he should of got investors to buy a new engine.

This entire thread is funny. I wish I knew Bohemia as intimately as everyone here does to be able to make these types of assumptions. Dean? Can we do lunch?

What assumptions? This thread is about the facts on how strange this widely popular and well funded alpha has been handled. To defend the delays or lack of progress.... one has to actually make assumptions. So you got it backwards. This first rule of leadership is that if anything might not be up to par, it falls on the leader.

So I find your comment hilariously ironic. For example, Even after making tens of millions of dollars in sales and being widely popular on over 3 continents..... they had to be dragged kicking and screaming it seems before they finally increased the full time staff from only 35 to double that.

I don't think any other widely successful game development had such a small staff for months, and months, and months. A lot of time was wasted in my opinion. We could mention about 5 other facts that show someone has every right to question the sense of direction and leadership of this project.

Edited by hothtimeblues

What assumptions? This thread is about the facts on how strange this widely popular and well funded alpha has been handled. To defend the delays or lack of progress.... one has to actually make assumptions. So you got it backwards. This first rule of leadership is that if anything might not be up to par, it falls on the leader.

So I find your comment hilariously ironic. For example, Even after making tens of millions of dollars in sales and being widely popular on over 3 continents..... they had to be dragged kicking and screaming it seems before they finally increased the full time staff from only 35 to double that.

I don't think any other widely successful game development had such a small staff for months, and months, and months. A lot of time was wasted in my opinion. We could mention about 5 other facts that show someone has every right to question the sense of direction and leadership of this project.

Up to par? Do you know what an Alpha is? There is no par. Everything is supposed to be broken. Zombies are a WIP, this has been stated hundreds of times. Please, go play another fucking game. 

• Like 1