boneboys

Stable - 0.48 Discussion

They need to drop everything they're doing and give us friggin bikes... just bikes, not anything fancy. Somebody long ago referred to the game as a Marathon Simulator. Pretty sure I've spent 60-70% of my game play running places.

so you want to have bikes to get faster to places where you can equip, to do what if you have done so? killing other peoples or defend against zombies? what is the for you the positive effect of beeing faster equipped?

if you ask me, i would ever make it harder to come from one city or place to another, not easier.

it would be absolutely awesome if you need to drink and eat during the trip from nature givings. fishing, hunting should be essential to survive a trip from one city to another.

the possibility of beeing faster in travel pushing the survival thinkings in backround, i do not like. 

I have noticed a huge difference in the game performance and issues between servers that are "official" persistent servers and those that are rented and not yet persistent. I on many occasions have logged into an official server right after it has reset and found only a pair of gloves or minor piece of clothing at places you certainly expect loot such as military buildings with the jail or police stations. I spent 5 hours one days on offivial servers and barely found enough food to survive travelling the entire map and changing servers. During this play perios i was unable to find a single gun and the only ammo i found was .357 but not pistol to use it with. I( also have noticed that zombies hit detection seems different on official servers and almost every time i kill them they seem to register a hit on me even after i am seeing them fall from my headshot with an axe. I have even been hit by a falling dead zombie when i approached them from behind more than once. On rented not official servers none of these things seem to be an issue so i assume this is being caused by something on the server side since we know the official servers are runnig something different to enable persistence. These glitches/bugs make the game almost unplayable and not very enjoyable even though i really want to use and like the persistence on official servers. Just thought my observations here could be helpful to the devs. 

thanks for making a wonderful game and i hope this post helps you to resolve the issues with offical servers that is not as prevelant of a problem on non official rented servers.

thanks 

charlesnett

Is ammo box loot broken? I've been looking for it for days on various servers NW and Balota airfield and nothing

Can someone confirm this?

I have no idea

They need to drop everything they're doing and give us friggin bikes... just bikes, not anything fancy. Somebody long ago referred to the game as a Marathon Simulator. Pretty sure I've spent 60-70% of my game play running places.

The only thing adding bikes is going to do is slow down the walking speed. Because we currently run at the tour de France speed.

• Like 1

I found an ammo box in a hangar at airfield. Other than that I agree that its ridicolous that zombies can hit you after they die but I've noticed that running away from them immediately after you kill them cures this. Still stupid though. Got three pants ruined in one game the day before yesterday just because of this crap. People laughed at me as I ran at them with only boxers on, swinging my axe.

As for persistance it needs some serious tweaking. Theres absolutely no loot anywhere so even if the idea of "living off the land" is quite nice you can't do it since you need an axe, a knife, cooking equipment and a pickaxe just to get you started. Unless you wanna live off berries that is.

I'm also curious as to when some of the items you can find will have a use. Why is there a wrench that you can't use, pliers that you can't use, ducttape that you can't use, why can't defibs be used to revive people? and why can't you tear any kind of cloth into rags? I bled to death a while ago when my rags gots ruined and I couldn't find anything to bandage with. I was wearing perfectly fine bandage-like clothes on my body but wasn't allowed to use them.

Good things though: I like the zombie onslaught. I wouldn't mind there being even more and angrier zombies, as long as they die when I hit them.

Edited by Killawife

*snip*

I'm also curious as to when some of the items you can find will have a use. Why is there a wrench that you can't use, pliers that you can't use, ducttape that you can't use, why can't defibs be used to revive people? and why can't you tear any kind of cloth into rags? I bled to death a while ago when my rags gots ruined and I couldn't find anything to bandage with. I was wearing perfectly fine bandage-like clothes on my body but wasn't allowed to use them.

*snip*

In the mod we had a generic toolbox that was used to repair cars, trucks, and helicopters.

I have a feeling we may see a toolbox that might fit these seemingly useless tools for just such purposes and many more crafting purposes as well.

There's your problem. Seems idiotic to do a thing like "just stand there" doesn't it?

Nope, only in your little world. You see, before I was strafing sideways axing one zombie after the other with 90% headshots and almost never got hit.

Not saying that's ideal since it didn't always seem challenging.

The thing is, this time, after repeatedly failing, I decided to stand still RIGHT in front of the zombie. My axe goes right through them and I hardly ever register a hit.

So before calling me idiotic, try using your own brain.

On another note, my 1st person character got wiped for the second time in less than a week. A great big "update" this was.

The zombies aren't impossible.. but they are kind of ridiculous in that they hit you after they are dead. I can deal with missing over and over if when I do finally land a kill shot, I don't get whacked after the zed goes down. I was actually hit TWICE after a killed one like his hits were lagging. That's stupid.

The zombies may not be impossible but it is simply rubbish that they can hit you at around 2 meters with their dirty paws although facing a totally different direction while I'm wielding an axe and having to stand still right in their face to be able to hit them.

It is botched up and needs fixing back to the original state.

• Like 1

Nope, only in your little world. You see, before I was strafing sideways axing one zombie after the other with 90% headshots and almost never got hit.

Not saying that's ideal since it didn't always seem challenging.

The thing is, this time, after repeatedly failing, I decided to stand still RIGHT in front of the zombie. My axe goes right through them and I hardly ever register a hit.

So before calling me idiotic, try using your own brain.

On another note, my 1st person character got wiped for the second time in less than a week. A great big "update" this was.

You're the kind of person that just doesn't get it no matter how many ways it is explained to you. You're a lost cause. Enjoy your "botched" game  :thumbsup:

Well I'm not playing DayZ till they fix whatever they botched with the last update as concerns the melee system. Fighting zombies with anything other than an axe or machete is near impossible now, I literally just stood there striking at a group of three zombies at a range of less than a meter 

This is "hard"

Absolute fail

LoL, you rage is giving me a warm fuzzy! 

Also as if you try to attack zombies with anything other than an axe, and why the hell would you just stand there?

Its called circle strafing its been a well used technique in fps games since they were invented....jesus dude I think you need to stay at school.

LoL, you rage is giving me a warm fuzzy! 

Also as if you try to attack zombies with anything other than an axe, and why the hell would you just stand there?

Its called circle strafing its been a well used technique in fps games since they were invented....jesus dude I think you need to stay at school.

Yeah but you can't really defend the melee system like it is now because it is so bad, unrealistic and stupid its not even funny.

Circle strafing doesn't work so well now because the melee is not tracer based anymore, so it is actually worse to try to hit something while moving. Before it was way easyer and more realistic, you had something to master in melee. Now you just spam LMB and pray for the best because a) 70% of your attacks phase through the zombie or b) the zed hit you anyway no matter your distance/obstacles of even if he just died, bonus points for 2+ zeds on your ass and you are not using the almighty axe, good luck with that..

That said, how can you judge someone skill? There is absolutely no skill in this game melee system lol. Its just functional, you can sometimes kill shit with it so its not gamebreaking for most of the time. I hope that in beta we start to see a bit more skill involved in meleeing things, because now its just retarded lol. Oh and also it looks bad because the animations sucks, mainly in non-axe weapons like that joke, pitchfork. Try your skillfull technics with the pitchfork (that Imo shoud be better then an axe due its range), you will see how broken the melee is and how much there is to improve in this area.

Before you could fist some zeds to death because you could hit them, in this build it is really frustrating to see your hands go through them or other survivors and no damage gets registered. I understand those who gets mad lol, its a base mechanic that is fucked up. I'm waiting for a new build to come back and play again, because I don't like to use firearms and every alternative is useless/a joke.

• Like 2

Yeah but you can't really defend the melee system like it is now because it is so bad, unrealistic and stupid its not even funny.

Circle strafing doesn't work so well now because the melee is not tracer based anymore, so it is actually worse to try to hit something while moving. Before it was way easyer and more realistic, you had something to master in melee. Now you just spam LMB and pray for the best because a) 70% of your attacks phase through the zombie or B) the zed hit you anyway no matter your distance/obstacles of even if he just died, bonus points for 2+ zeds on your ass and you are not using the almighty axe, good luck with that..

That said, how can you judge someone skill? There is absolutely no skill in this game melee system lol. Its just functional, you can sometimes kill shit with it so its not gamebreaking for most of the time. I hope that in beta we start to see a bit more skill involved in meleeing things, because now its just retarded lol. Oh and also it looks bad because the animations sucks, mainly in non-axe weapons like that joke, pitchfork. Try your skillfull technics with the pitchfork (that Imo shoud be better then an axe due its range), you will see how broken the melee is and how much there is to improve in this area.

Before you could fist some zeds to death because you could hit them, in this build it is really frustrating to see your hands go through them or other survivors and no damage gets registered. I understand those who gets mad lol, its a base mechanic that is fucked up. I'm waiting for a new build to come back and play again, because I don't like to use firearms and every alternative is useless/a joke.

I understand, it must be hard to hit zombies using a controller. How do you have the buttons mapped?

Circle strafing doesn't work so well now because the melee is not tracer based anymore, so it is actually worse to try to hit something while moving. Before it was way easyer and more realistic, you had something to master in melee. Now you just spam LMB and pray for the best because a) 70% of your attacks phase through the zombie or B) the zed hit you anyway no matter your distance/obstacles of even if he just died, bonus points for 2+ zeds on your ass and you are not using the almighty axe, good luck with that..

Thanks for actually reading what I wrote.

Is ammo box loot broken? I've been looking for it for days on various servers NW and Balota airfield and nothing

Can someone confirm this?

i cant confirm this, but i am having the same issue. have not found an ammo box since 4.7.

i cant confirm this, but i am having the same issue. have not found an ammo box since 4.7.

I read somewhere ammo boxes only spawn at helicopter crash sites (just like FNX and M4A1, flashbangs and grenades) now but I can't confirm first hand since I never seem to stumble upon a crash site...

• Like 1

Two builds ago melee was good.

Melee never really "was good". Watching some of the youtube videos where multiple people are in a room hacking at each other for minutes just make you facepalm. If you were to dub the Benny Hill theme over them they'd be funny maybe.

But you're right if you wanted to say two builds ago melee worked. It is now broken.

No point in "educating" me about the fact that this is an Alpha, I don't have a problem with it. But it annoys me when they "fix" things to the point that they are worse than before and that everyone is fine with it because now they've added the smersh backpack, oh golly!!

Edited by ColonelBurton

I read somewhere ammo boxes only spawn at helicopter crash sites (just like FNX and M4A1, flashbangs and grenades) now but I can't confirm first hand since I never seem to stumble upon a crash site...

I have found ammo box, just right after my last post, at the dynamic heli crash sites.

Melee never really "was good". Watching some of the youtube videos where multiple people are in a room hacking at each other for minutes just make you facepalm. If you were to dub the Benny Hill theme over them they'd be funny maybe.

But you're right if you wanted to say two builds ago melee worked. It is now broken.

No point in "educating" me about the fact that this is an Alpha, I don't have a problem with it. But it annoys me when they "fix" things to the point that they are worse than before and that everyone is fine with it because now they've added the smersh backpack, oh golly!!

Alpha. I never have problems with melee . Alpha .

Two builds ago melee was good.

hm, debatable ;)

Seriously no arguments from me, but you really, really got to start read dev blogs. Before 0.47 melee was scripted, now we got a placeholder that simply produces a hit exactly where you aim at the end of the animation - well unless that was changed again. Desync does the rest.

The reason we have that placeholder system now is that melee was scripted (not sooo good) and is now taken into the engine itself (better). Not gonna discuss "not sooo good" and "better" here in depth now, only saying performance.

I only manage to hit zeds, when I stand still. But that can be combined with running in circles if you watch how zeds move and how they attack.

• Like 1

I understand, it must be hard to hit zombies using a controller. How do you have the buttons mapped?

I don't use a controler sir, my point is about the game mechanics and I think you are missing it.

ehhhhhhhh?!==?  i take like 5 + backpack on my charater , 1 blue / 1 green/1 red /1military /1other blu  , this is bug o waht? need fix this :D u dont charater but u carovan man ;!O when u take new backpack u have 10 new slot on inventory :D

have no problems with melee, never have. Guess it might have something so to with always playing in 1st person.