Super_Duty

Experimental Branch: 0.48 Discussion

snip

Melee currently uses a temporary fix of sorts due to the old system being too affected by lag/desync. Basically, wherever your cursor points, the melee weapon hits. There's no "melee path" for the weapon to follow and thus it does not hit walls around you during a swing. This both makes it easier and harder in my experience. I got used to the old system and found it worked quite well if you "followed through" with your hits by turning towards the zombie during the swing. The downside was this didn't mix too well with lag/desync. Now there's no "following through"; you have to put your reticle right on the zombie in order to hit it.

Edited by solodude23

Melee currently uses a temporary fix of sorts due to the old system being too affected by lag/desync. Basically, wherever your cursor points, the melee weapon hits. There's no "melee path" for the weapon to follow and thus it does not hit walls around you during a swing. This both makes it easier and harder in my experience. I got used to the old system and found it worked quite well if you "followed through" with your hits by turning towards the zombie during the swing. Now there's no "following through"; you have to put your reticle right on the zombie in order to hit it.

But exactly when does the attack happen? Directly when you click? At the end of the animation? That's my guess, but then a lot of my attacks did not hit.

Edited by bautschi

After the new patch came out today I was the first on an UK Server and I was lucky to spawn not to far in north/east, so I was the first in Balota. I looted the whole military area and found maybe 10-12  AKM/AK101 Mags, but NO single 7.62x39 Packages of 20 Rounds... do they spawn at all?

After that I checked so many sheds (and I guess all different kind of sheds), they were all empty. Civilian/Residental Buildings etc. were pretty full of loot. But why the sheds again useless? In the last days the sheds were my heroes with some nice stuff, because mainstream/deathmatch/lazy players ignored most of the sheds.

And Rubberbanding is back for me...

I barely can enter a building when a zombie is hunting me... because your invisible char will actually often get stuck outside the building or at ground floor, even when you are think you are in the building or at second floor (the school is the best example for this!). They beat out the shit of you... everyone knows that meanwhile i guess.

But now you even get stuck whitout obstacles, for example on grassland. It can happen that you stand 20m behind the zombie and he still beats you, because your invisible char stands actually in front of the zombie.

For me that patch is a real fun killer. I thought it couldn't get worse...

• Like 1

Well as stated here : http://forums.dayzgame.com/index.php?/topic/206640-status-report-week-of-04-august-14/#entry2072490 The melee system is a work in progress , the reason it goes through objects now is because they put in a temporary system that's more straightforward and (less realistic ) just until the melee hot fix comes next Wednesday ...why no hot fix this Wednesday(today) you say ? Because as the dev blog states as well , this new melee system is more advanced so they didn't have time to push it into the new experimental with the issue that they found before they pushed the new version to exp.

Thank you very much my good sir. This explains a lot.

I hope that this:

"...The melee system was prototyped in script and it introduced a nice hit detection mechanic during the swing where a trace is cast directly from the weapon"

Gets back in the game, because it is the feature I most enjoyed. This gives a lot of depth to the melee system and also is really realistic

Melee currently uses a temporary fix of sorts due to the old system being too affected by lag/desync. Basically, wherever your cursor points, the melee weapon hits. There's no "melee path" for the weapon to follow and thus it does not hit walls around you during a swing. This both makes it easier and harder in my experience. I got used to the old system and found it worked quite well if you "followed through" with your hits by turning towards the zombie during the swing. The downside was this didn't mix too well with lag/desync. Now there's no "following through"; you have to put your reticle right on the zombie in order to hit it.

So you guys think it will be like it was before? I also liked how the animations were the reference for the attacks, you could manipulate your swings and it gave a lot of freedom in melee.

Edited by Avant-Garde

I did not miss enough to stop loot from respawning once it was removed.

There have been two large hard resets since last I saw anyone on exp perform this exploit.

Try it now and even if u remove the loot hundreds of meters from the feed shack I doubt it will work more than 2-3 times

But in my video, no loot spawned with ANYTHING on the ground.  And nothing respawned unless it was at least 300m away and it worked every single time.

But in my video, no loot spawned with ANYTHING on the ground.  And nothing respawned unless it was at least 300m away and it worked every single time.

if someone was in that place before and dropped the item somewhere near it, nothing respawn.

The "new" lootcycle was posted 5 pages before on the previous patch.

Also, tent spawn seams increased.

I can't get steam to update to the version that came out today. I tried reverting to stable and then back to experimental but it is stuck on the version before the one that came out today. Any ideas?

Try changing your Steam download region.view>settings>downloads

That means if some troll drops few small items in vicinity of loot spawn zone it will block whole area from respawning loot until all hidden troll objects will be removed?

I did that too but 800 meters away and nothing respawned....im saying I think since the reset that exploit was fixed

So you guys think it will be like it was before? I also liked how the animations were the reference for the attacks, you could manipulate your swings and it gave a lot of freedom in melee.

I'm pretty certain it will go back to those arcs for melee (as that seems like the only realistic way to have a melee weapon swing), it was only removed because lag affected it too much, but I know for a fact dayz devs are detail oriented so they won't keep melee unrealistic for long (I think the beginning of the new melee system will be implemented next Wednesday [at least that's my assumption] until then we have this "doesn't detect objects straight up melee" which is fine for temporary but as you said the original system is more realistic they just gotta find a way to have those melee arcs without getting such lagZ).

Just can't wait for this game to have perfected melee , I wanna be able to axe someone in the back without hitting anything above or behind me but I don't want it to be as easy as "click and hit instantly without having to time it ".

Edited by Grapefruit kush
  • Like 1

Try changing your Steam download region.view>settings>downloads

Thanks!  I tried that a couple times and even changed countries but it still downloads the previous experimental.  I just now verified the integrity and once it finished, it updated to the latest version.

Edited by soup006

My ruined stuff (hoody, burlap sack, compass) despawned as soon as I put it on the ground together with the killed zombie. IMO that should happen with the next restart, but not immediatly... I would have still a use for the hoody lol

Edited by Sharplooter
  • Like 3

That means if some troll drops few small items in vicinity of loot spawn zone it will block whole area from respawning loot until all hidden troll objects will be removed?

Something like this, but regarding to the devblog they invited a basic system wich gives every, by a player dropped item a lifetime.

157.5MB for those keeping track of the updates.  I'm going in now, wish me luck!  Latest iteration is 0.48.124699.

Edited by Super_Duty

157.5MB for those keeping track of the updates.  I'm going in now, wish me luck!  Latest iteration is 0.48.124699.

lol

Played about four hours today after this patch. Only finding a bunch of junk items in the middle of streets as people are trying to cycle loot. Thought we were trying to leave the mod exploits behind?

• Like 1

Guys, silly question, but I just found my first tent, pitched it, opened it, closed it, but I can not for the life of me figure out how to fold it up to take with me again... is that even an option?

• Like 1

Played about four hours today after this patch. Only finding a bunch of junk items in the middle of streets as people are trying to cycle loot. Thought we were trying to leave the mod exploits behind?

I played about 3 hours after the servers came back up, plenty of food, clothes, ... the first police station (Dolina spawn) had a mosin and 6 bullets for it ALTHOUGH it had already been looted. Had real trouble finding ammo besides for the Magnum and shotgun. The only other guns I found were 2 shotguns. Went through Solnichny, Kamy, Electro, Cherno, Dubky, Novoselky. Then the "hidden prison" in Chapaevsk had an AK101 and two mags (wrote that earlier).

After a server restart I had the feeling that all the loot from before was still there and the restart itself did not spawn loot. But I did only check the building I was in, it had everything like before (shotgun and pants). If that is the case, I really hope the loot spawning is somehow workable. If it is still one item per item taken and a rotten apple might spawn for a taken can of beans, we will end badly, unless some exploiting is working with removing all the unusable loot. Of course I assume that items don't have a lifetime yet. Either way it all ends with unusable loot or a balance will develop that actually lets us live without only eating apples, IF (as I assume) the server restarts don't spawn additional loot somehow. Maybe it will take a day or two to see what happens if I'm right with that guess.

I am really looking forward to items having a lifetime and no loot spawning at server starts. Foregoing how the loot will spawn exactly, we will get a balance and server restarts won't matter at all. At least I guess that's how it will be.

Don't know about the exploiting, I would argue like that on stable, but on experimental it might be useful to try all, find such exploits and see how they and the system work. Especially now when it gets more complex. Should we reach a point were we can live but can't really figure out, how the system works or exploiting is so cumbersome that it isn't worth it, we have something. But it might be futile until all that is now already planned with loot spawning is implemented... .

Edited by bautschi

I was able to trigger a loot spawn at the jail near Novo.  But it only worked for a bit then quit. From what I can tell nothing has spawned in the jail sense.

90 minutes in, found a sandwich, some fries, and a cola.  It's raining like hell and dark out, so I'm heading to bed... Save me some loot!

I was able to trigger a loot spawn at the jail near Novo.  But it only worked for a bit then quit. From what I can tell nothing has spawned in the jail sense.

I don't get it, there are plenty of other spawn locations around it where you could have triggered it. Or someone else could have triggered it at those locations. Was the 1 square km quadrant system thrown out? Did I miss something?

This one?

http://dayzdb.com/map#5.138.014

Quite a bit else in that square km.

Edited by solodude23

I would just like to remind our members that the posting of, or explaining/describing the "how to" of exploits is not allowed on these Forums.

If you find or discover an exploitable glitch in game please use the Bug Report tool (BugZ) .

If you see a post and/or Topic explaining/describing the "how to" of exploits please use the Report tab to alert the Moderators.

Thanks many !