Super_Duty

Experimental Branch: 0.48 Discussion

Just read this in the DevTracker...Eugene spills a little, enjoy!

http://www.reddit.com/r/dayz/comments/2cia7b/i_figured_out_how_the_new_loot_spawning_system/

Also, this!

[Twitter] [Hicks_206] Just a heads up, we're aiming for an exp update tomorrow - but will keep everyone updated!

:D Spills a very little.  You don't tell the rats in the maze too much - heck, you don't even tell them that they are what is being experimented on!

Wait - you thought that you were doing the testing?  Hey, YOU are the subject of the test!

Bring it on, Devs!  Yeah!

Z

I started playing on a UK server a day or so after .48 started and spawned near to Polana and headed South planning on hitting Electro while looting as I went. I found Nothing, absolutely nothing and was attacked by Z's as i went and ran to avoid. I reached Electro red lining starvation and got mobbed by Z's there and sought refuge on the school roof where I expired.

I respawned and this time arrived in Svetlo where two Russians with nothing on their backs sought to question me. I fled and dodged through Novo looting only at the end of it. I found a scythe and a can of Peaches, so thus fortified I headed West. I decided that I didn't have enough resources to loot the NWAF so I headed due South at Gvodno and stopped at Guglovo where I found a dead player with pristine possessions which I relieved him of. He had no food and by this time I was also near to starving myself but in Mogilevka I found another can of Peaches which gave me the strength to make it to Electro.

The guy whose body I found had no real possessions, but he had an Axe a can opener and assorted calibers of bullets. With this seed I was able to survive and continue looting until I now have a Shottie with ammo, a knife, fire Axe and various other items that will enable me to live in the woods.

To other players and the devs I have this to say: In over 500 hours of gameplay I have never been so absorbed by the game or thrilled more by finding the little things that helped me to live. This is my idea of a survival game.

• Like 1

I have been playing the experimental build and so far I am loving the idea of persistent loot but I am trying to imagine how they will implement it in the stable....

Obviously at some point loot will have to start despawning, how will the server determine what loot gets wiped and what stays?

So people will loot cycle, you cant stop that...how will the server know to delete the big pile of rubbish behind the NWA and not delete my stash in a house in the middle of know where?

It cant just start deleting everything older than a certain date either, my stash could have been there for ages....

The server could just stop spawning loot....but for how long, until the server restart?  Then what? The server is still going to have to start removing loot that is left on the ground...

The only way I can see this working is by having storage containers, and everything that is left on the 'ground' will get wiped from the server.

I would like to hear your thoughts and suggestions on how persistent loot can work in the stable.

Looks like a test server just went up in experimental.

I'm at work and can't get on at the moment; does it have a new build number?

I forgot that they said yesterday that we would receive an update to experimental today ... I wonder if anything new will be on it or if it's just bug fixes ??

I have been playing the experimental build and so far I am loving the idea of persistent loot but I am trying to imagine how they will implement it in the stable....

Obviously at some point loot will have to start despawning, how will the server determine what loot gets wiped and what stays?

So people will loot cycle, you cant stop that...how will the server know to delete the big pile of rubbish behind the NWA and not delete my stash in a house in the middle of know where?

It cant just start deleting everything older than a certain date either, my stash could have been there for ages....

The server could just stop spawning loot....but for how long, until the server restart?  Then what? The server is still going to have to start removing loot that is left on the ground...

The only way I can see this working is by having storage containers, and everything that is left on the 'ground' will get wiped from the server.

I would like to hear your thoughts and suggestions on how persistent loot can work in the stable.

You can stop loot cycling though. It's called zombies.

If I had to think about some forced game mechanic to help with the above issues, I might explore some sort of possession timer. So an item has to be in ones possession for x amount of time before it get's tied to a character and only items that are tied to a character will remain persistent. Items that have been removed from it's home location and are not tied to a character will not generate new spawns in their home location. They will instead be still tied to that home location and the game will treat that spot as though it's occupied, no new loot will spawn. So now, if you want to try loot cycling, you have to waste even more of your time holding onto items for x amount of time so that they become tied to you and thus allowing new loot to spawn, along with still having to move it outside a certain radius. Throw a crap load of zombies in there too and maybe, just maybe, that kind of shit goes away.

I'm sure there are still plenty of flaws in that system too, it was just a quick thought.

I'm at work and can't get on at the moment; does it have a new build number?

It didn't appear too, I think they have more than enough to fix and refine in the current build.

does anyone know what Hicks means with  a QA?

Probably quality assurance tester(s).

I thought we were paying $30 for access to the Alpha to be the QA department.

• Like 1

I played for a while last night bouncing back and forth between Vybor and Kabanino and found loot spawned every time. Wasn't much but it was enough to get by and stay alive. Even found a compensator for my mosin in the police station.

• Like 1

Hicks just posted they found an issue, update will be delayed till tomorrow.

Good. better delayed than crappy. Still hope that that stable hotfix of tomorrow stays planned

Edited by basinox

Ahhhhh... No. We payed 23€ to take part in the field test.  B) QA steps in before things get experimental.

Edited by Agilov

Hicks just posted they found an issue, update will be delayed till tomorrow.

Did I miss something? Last thing I read was about the QA looking for possible gamebreakers, not that they actually found some.  :huh:

Edit: Nevermind. Found it.

Edited by Agilov

Actually, we paid thirty bucks to be guinea pigs... :D

They are experimenting on us, we are not doing the experimenting.

Z

If this is how u feel dont play expietmental

Wasn't a complaint, wasn't opinion.  Observation leads to the conclusion.

Oh, yeah, if we find a bug they want us to report it.  But they are stress-testing servers and loot spawning systems and such; they don't care so much what we do, so long as we are in there playing on the servers.

Again, not complaining - I am in there every day, plugging away, and having fun.  Enjoying the heck out of it.  But I am aware of the relationship we have to the real testers.

Z

Got punched to death by a already dead Zombie. I hit her serveral times until she (female zombie) laid dead on the ground. Then i got hit again and again....went out of the building and the zombie corpse followed me and i got hit over and over again. i tried to attack the already dead body - nothing happened. i tried to hit the air around me...no sign of a successful hit...anyone with similar problems?

0.48 is almost unplayable!

There is almost no loot at all. All i find is flashlights that indicate that the area is looted, but there is absolutely no respawn. In one town i found  78 flashlights. Yes, i counted them. 78!!!!

So, its back to 0.47 for till they find a solution for this problem. The game is no fun if there is no loot around.

I hadn't played on experimental for a while and decided to try it out.  My god this is horrible, I spent most my time picking apples and drinking from ponds because outside of insane amounts of flash lights, pants and rotten fruit there was almost nothing left.   I am amazed that BI is having such a hard time with a process that MMOs conquered years ago.  World object respawn is not some thing new and it shouldn't be this hard to get working.

If the game had been like this when I bought it, I probably would have stopped playing right away.  I know it is alpha and I do like a challenge but this isn't a challenge it is boring...

Got punched to death by a already dead Zombie. I hit her serveral times until she (female zombie) laid dead on the ground. Then i got hit again and again....went out of the building and the zombie corpse followed me and i got hit over and over again. i tried to attack the already dead body - nothing happened. i tried to hit the air around me...no sign of a successful hit...anyone with similar problems?

Yeah i had the same problem but it was in stable i had 5 dead zombie bodies sliding around trying to kill me... wtf?

When people take "beautiful" screenshots but don't remove the hotbar

misc-jackie-chan-l.png

Edited by Max Planck
  • Like 2

Basinox pro tip: Hard hats are the biggest fuck you to raiders that try to steal you gear ever.

Had 2 guys that tried to punch me in the face. But of course it was futile and I shot them to smithereens. and my hard hat is still pristine. 10/10 would recommend for friendlies. Just like the ash wood stick that currently has the biggest hit chance of all melee weapons and a big ass damage pool.

• Like 1