DemonGroover

Stable - 0.47 Discussion

I enjoy this update .. because every update adds stuff ... the game is still fun and I played it for several hours with my friend the other day ... not to be the usual rage boner based reply but am just gonna leave here the stuff that irritated me:

* It feels like when you shoot a zombie they instantly respawn and head towards their own death, they now don't spawn in view as much but this is how it felt when they used to insta respawn and it's exactly how they feel now.

* Speed of movement with raised weapon is a joke ... seriously ... is it an accident / bug, because you should be able to move fairly fast still.

* Obviously as this is known all I am really doing is restating once more but LMB bug is a thing and my friend had it happen several times, though i didn't experience it even once.

* Less a bug more a petty annoyance, items shouldn't just magically respawn in front of you, I picked up a tin and a second later BAM Green bell pepper (which i ate because hey God Bell peppers should be eaten) ... the loot spawn system is otherwise quite nice, randomly respawning stuff around.

Hmmmm and that's about it, I still enjoy the new guns and stuff and I'm still enjoying playing even if it can be frustrating when a bazillion zombies decide to eat you but I will also look forward to the next update hopefully settling some of these issues.

Crashes? Sure those have been happening to me and to two of my friends that i play with..... Seemed pretty frequent when they did, now they stopped (recently)....

Dont know what to say about the new movement system, i mean, you all know now that when you go crouched or prone it goes slow by default and if you want to make it go fast like it used to you have to double tap the forward key (e.g. ,,W") which for me isnt looking much like an improvement, i would have preffered to go fast by default and hold shift if i want to go slow :/

Crashes? Sure those have been happening to me and to two of my friends that i play with..... Seemed pretty frequent when they did, now they stopped (recently)....

Dont know what to say about the new movement system, i mean, you all know now that when you go crouched or prone it goes slow by default and if you want to make it go fast like it used to you have to double tap the forward key (e.g. ,,W") which for me isnt looking much like an improvement, i would have preffered to go fast by default and hold shift if i want to go slow :/

U don't have to double tap forward key, just hold shift key while moving forward.

If it doesn't work for u, u need to revert your key bindings in options to default.

I do not recall any information from any official sources that make the claim that stable is a playable version, in fact the reverse seems to be the actual case.

Such information comes from a dictionary, see the word stable most people are going to assume playable.

Stupid to assume flawless but stable enough to work fine.

On that note I must have played for 30 mins to and hour and I never crashed to the desktop, before I was getting anywhere between 10 seconds and 15 minutes before it would happen...so either that's improved or it was a rare lucky session.

Such information comes from a dictionary, see the word stable most people are going to assume playable.

Stupid to assume flawless but stable enough to work fine.

Correct, with one caveat: context must be considered. It's "stable" in the context of an alpha; two words that are generally not used together because they are somewhat opposite. It should be considered "kind of stable".

Not anything about you personally, I'm just kind of throwing my two cents into the conversation :)

• Like 1

I had a lot more bu//$#!+ technical stuff happening to me in .46. Maybe I don't have enough hours in on .47 yet but it does seem more "stable." Less "please wait" at the start of games, less fresh spawn log ins and technical game structure things like that.

The zombie issues seem to be the same, only they are stronger and sometimes mute. Stronger zeds and a broken melee sucks, I probably will not enjoy my next fresh spawn. I have not seen this navmesh thing work right either, aren't you supposed to be able to lock zeds behind doors or at least slow them down? I have locked a zed behind any doors at all yet.

I've been able to deal with every issue that's been thrown at me, including the zombies. No big deal. The LMB bug is a killer, though. I can't believe it hasn't gotten me killed yet. It used to be once in a while but the frequency seems to be ramping up :o

The lmb bug has only affected me once and it's when I had a gun on my back and one in my hands , maybe it has something to do with that ?

... I have not seen this navmesh thing work right either, aren't you supposed to be able to lock zeds behind doors or at least slow them down? I have locked a zed behind any doors at all yet.

Well they can run at places where they could not before, but it is obviously not done. Some houses can be used to close zeds in, some not. Try and learn. Try houses where they don't fall into the floor.

Edited by bautschi

I'll be honest, I don't have time to sort through 15 pages of posts - but I wanted to weigh in on this:

As far as branch names go, these are after all - development builds, still very early on in the projects development cycle. They are effectively the builds that are the most stable, within reason - base gameplay possible, with issues we've earmarked either as addressed in future sprints, or on the docket for a hotfix.

In the case of 0.47, given the vast amount of system and engine changes - we had to get it out in the wild, to the stable branch, and make sure to try and communicate as effectively as possible on the issues we expected players to encounter and be frustrated with that they were *known*, and depending on severity - would see hotfixes for in the early weeks of August.

• Like 5

Known issues:
Player can in rare circumstances enter a state in which they cannot attack and must relog.

Lol fuck this in "rare circumstances" that is a fucking lie that happens every damn time to me and reconnect cann't be a solution. Fix this!!!
Cannot use bandage, because i cannot get rid of the zombies following me.
And BAM unconscious. Thanks for this great "stable" patch.

Why cant you test your shit on experimental and bring out a stable patch later on. Nobody needs a patch with only some new clothing items, a new gun and bla bla bla a huge load of bugs.

Give updates more time on experimental before torturing us with this.

Known issues:

Player can in rare circumstances enter a state in which they cannot attack and must relog.

Lol fuck this in "rare circumstances" that is a fucking lie that happens every damn time to me and reconnect cann't be a solution. Fix this!!!

Cannot use bandage, because i cannot get rid of the zombies following me.

And BAM unconscious. Thanks for this great "stable" patch.

Why cant you test your shit on experimental and bring out a stable patch later on. Nobody needs a patch with only some new clothing items, a new gun and bla bla bla a huge load of bugs.

Give updates more time on experimental before torturing us with this.

Johnson, while I understand your frustration - I can't help but think you'll only be upset more as the Early Access phase of DayZ continues. These are development builds, there will be many issues - and we go out of our way to make this clear both in game, and in our store page on Steam.

It might be worth it for you to take a break, maybe come back in beta - or even after release. While I genuinely value your feedback, I wouldn't want you to have a bad time and get frustrated.

• Like 10

Yeah but if you release an update with errors like that what is the diffrence between experimental and "stable"?

I can ignore many things like falling from a ladder, glitching through the stairs at the elektro police station ending up with a broken leg.

But a bug where you are unable to attack and the only solution is to reconnect is very bad and the fact that you don't even try to hotfix this is very poor.

Your community grow a little bit to big to ignore this kind of bug.

Come back later is a bad answer to that...

Yeah but if you release an update with errors like that what is the diffrence between experimental and "stable"?

I can ignore many things like falling from a ladder, glitching through the stairs at the elektro police station ending up with a broken leg.

But a bug where you are unable to attack and the only solution is to reconnect is very bad and the fact that you don't even try to hotfix this is very poor.

Given it's an early access game both branches might as well be experimental. I've worked on a number of project's, mostly total conversion mods and I can tell you that just because something works in a test environment (experimental in this case) that doesn't mean it'll work fine in stable. When a larger amount of people get their hands on something the chances of them finding something wrong with it increases. The team is only so big and if they spend their time fixing every single bug that gets reported it'll stall development of the game as a whole.

Yes it does suck that bugs exist, but you knowingly bought an early access game with warnings on it. Complaining won't fix things, report any bugs you find and the Dev's will get to it eventually.

I'll be honest, I don't have time to sort through 15 pages of posts - but I wanted to weigh in on this:

As far as branch names go, these are after all - development builds, still very early on in the projects development cycle. They are effectively the builds that are the most stable, within reason - base gameplay possible, with issues we've earmarked either as addressed in future sprints, or on the docket for a hotfix.

In the case of 0.47, given the vast amount of system and engine changes - we had to get it out in the wild, to the stable branch, and make sure to try and communicate as effectively as possible on the issues we expected players to encounter and be frustrated with that they were *known*, and depending on severity - would see hotfixes for in the early weeks of August.

I really don't mind spawning into a zombie fight. I don't even mind getting knocked down when trying to collect apples or berries. Only question i have: is why does it look like im wiping my ass when bandaging after fighting 1 of the no dieing, hells fire zombies that are spawning.

I really don't mind spawning into a zombie fight. I don't even mind getting knocked down when trying to collect apples or berries. Only question i have: is why does it look like im wiping my ass when bandaging after fighting 1 of the no dieing, hells fire zombies that are spawning.

High fiber diet?

Things I noticed in .47:

1. Horrible performance in cities (.46 was way better)
  2. .22 rifle can shoot as many times as you can click it (client-side only)
  3. Zombie hitboxes are wonky
  4. Switching pants makes your inventory disappear from the ones you were wearing
  5. Binoculairs need to be equipped using "space" (and then RMB) otherwise you might get stuck in an equipping loop or the camera will point towards the ground
  6. Loot spawns when you're near it (And I -think- it might even make sounds). Seems to happen a lot in prisons.

Other than that the new zombies and loot system are an improvement.

High fiber diet?

Could be. There's been a time or 2 when I would have eaten leaves to keep from starving. Could have just been those sneaky Z's scared the shit outta me while looking for loot.

what is the acutal point of experimental if you are just releasing experimental to stable even if it's no where near stable and has glaring, game breaking bugs?  I can't think of a single reason this should have been put to stable until the LMB glitch was fixed and the melee fixed. 

Given it's an early access game both branches might as well be experimental. I've worked on a number of project's, mostly total conversion mods and I can tell you that just because something works in a test environment (experimental in this case) that doesn't mean it'll work fine in stable. When a larger amount of people get their hands on something the chances of them finding something wrong with it increases. The team is only so big and if they spend their time fixing every single bug that gets reported it'll stall development of the game as a whole.

Yes it does suck that bugs exist, but you knowingly bought an early access game with warnings on it. Complaining won't fix things, report any bugs you find and the Dev's will get to it eventually.

all the problems that is happening in .47 of stable were known problems in experimental, it's not like they released to stable and all of a sudden these things happend.  there is really no reason they should have pushed this to stable yet.

Edited by kobeandodom

• Items: Tweaked shotguns dispersions and recoils

Does this mean that shotguns are fixed? (cant find any shotguns to test)

Edited by zOmnicyde

all the problems that is happening in .47 of stable were known problems in experimental, it's not like they released to stable and all of a sudden these things happend.  there is really no reason they should have pushed this to stable yet.

Because if they don't the community will bitch and scream about how we didn't get an update. So it's either release a buggy version and get yelled at, or wait until it's ready and get yelled at. Both of the options suck, so they might as well release it so it can keep at least some people occupied while they iron things out. 

Has anyone else noted this? If holding a weapon in your hand and you go prone, the weapon will be thrown first?

I had that moment, "What the hell you doing moron."

Calm down, the game still is in development. Of cause there are bugs, of cause we will see even more. It's throwing in features and content time, not polishing.

They unintentionaly will "break the game" yet several times until developmet is finished. We have been warned. Give it time.

Edited by Ken Bean

Hey,

i have two points, which are kinde wired:

1. weaponsway when you look down scope is like it was before .46, impossible to hit with the mosin on a range of 400+. is this a bug or is it a feature?

2. and this is the point, which is very wired: i killed a guy with a m4 and took it. this m4 has a mp buttstock and an acog. i can easily kill people at 200-300 meter with hipfire! It is so damn accurate now, when u shoot with hipfire the bullet spray is like <1 meter on a range of 200 meter even if you spray the target.

its harder to kill with the acog then with hipfire at 300+

U don't have to double tap forward key, just hold shift key while moving forward.

If it doesn't work for u, u need to revert your key bindings in options to default.

Lol dude what do you mean? yeah i know how to walk slow but in the new update now, when you go crouched or prone and go forward ,by default its gonna go like the shift key for slow forward is pressed and if you want to go fast forward like you used to, you have to double tap W (fast forward default key) Same goes for prone. What did you not understand? If it didnt happen to you then i dont know about that but what i know is that it didnt happen just to me....