gibonez

First Balancing pass on firearms

Idiotic. Can't the developement team state the freaking changes...just...lol

I agree with this. I know they want us to be surprised and to find things out on our own. But when you leave such vague hints as to whats been developed it could take a long time before we find out what the hell was even done. LMAO

I agree with this. I know they want us to be surprised and to find things out on our own. But when you leave such vague hints as to whats been developed it could take a long time before we find out what the hell was even done. LMAO

Vague enough that when I first read the tweet I thought they meant balancing the amount of firearms on the hive..

..//..

speculate endlessly with a tinfoil hat on waiting for them to inevitably fuck up.

And before anyone, once we find out what they've done and you don't like it, reacts...

..//..

Exactly

I love to see you guys trying to complain and working out ways to to be pissed off

before you know what's happened

work at it, so youll be fully trained and ready to howl when you actually find out WTF's going on

it's like watching a pack milling, waiting for the lead to decide who to attack

Edited by pilgrim

Any word on the MP5? when I tested the thing I was really surprised how extreme its dispersion is. Having it somewhat more accurate would make it a viable weapon outside of houses, and justify its rarity.

MOA = Minute of arc ?

The firearms industry refers to it as minute of angle. It is very popular with shooters familiar with Imperial measurements because 1 MOA subtends approximately one inch at 100 yds. Since most modern rifle scopes are adjustable in half (12), quarter (14), or eighth (18) MOA increments, also known as clicks, this makes zeroing and adjustments much easier.

For example, if the point of impact is 3" high and 1.5" left of the point of aim at 100 yards, the scope needs to be adjusted 3 MOA down, and 1.5 MOA right. Such adjustments are trivial when the scope's adjustment dials have an MOA scale printed on them, and even figuring the right number of clicks is relatively easy on scopes that click in fractions of MOA.

One thing to be aware of is that some scopes, including some higher-end models, are calibrated such that an adjustment of 1 MOA corresponds to exactly 1 inch at 100 yds, rather than 1.047". This is commonly known as the Shooter's MOA (SMOA) or Inches Per Hundred Yards (IPHY).

wikipedia minute of arc

Edited by pilgrim
  • Like 3

They stated they won't publish detailed mechanics because of potential abuse.

Sort of a silly position. Any mechanic that can be abused, will be abused. They're essentially practicing security by obscurity, which doesn't work. The goal should be to create mechanics that can't be abused.

but if it takes a long time or you don't ever find out.. then what effect has it had on you in the game ?? 

Like - None, right ?

sorry to ask, I'm pretty simple-minded.

They don't state the changes on experimental because they might not stay.  Changes made to the game go onto to stable and they tell us exactly what they changed.  The only thing idiotic was your post

Not if they are afraid of admitting they did not fix dispersion cones and accuracy. Perhaps they just changed damage and want to see if we accept it.

Any word on the MP5? when I tested the thing I was really surprised how extreme its dispersion is. Having it somewhat more accurate would make it a viable weapon outside of houses, and justify its rarity.

9.11 MOA about the same as the SKS used to be.

but if it takes a long time or you don't ever find out.. then what effect has it had on you in the game ?? 

Like - None, right ?

sorry to ask, I'm pretty simple-minded.

Pretty much other than just a waste of time. And some of those guns are so rare to find its almost not worth it trying to test them all out unless you'v had a character for a long time.

• Like 1

Not if they are afraid of admitting they did not fix dispersion cones and accuracy. Perhaps they just changed damage and want to see if we accept it.

Hello there

I very much doubt they are afraid of admitting anything. Stop assuming they are "shady" and/or incompetent. There's reasoning in every release to the public even if you or I cant immediately see it.

I can think of several reasons they would not release  info about every single tweak/change made, especially at this stage.

Rgds

LoK

• Like 1

I very much doubt they are afraid of admitting anything. Stop assuming they are "shady" and/or incompetent. There's reasoning in every release to the public even if you or I cant immediately see it.

Yes indeed good sir, the devs speak to us in mysterious ways. Let us praise their omniscience!

praying-man.jpg

• Like 2

Hello there

I can think of several reasons they would not release  info about every single tweak/change made, especially at this stage.

Rgds

LoK

I'd like to see every change they make. We're not sitting here to experience the "It's an alpha, don't complain about anything" phase without wanting to see what's actually being done.

Exactly

I love to see you guys trying to complain and working out ways to to be pissed off

before you know what's happened

work at it, so youll be fully trained and ready to howl when you actually find out WTF's going on

it's like watching a pack milling, waiting for the lead to decide who to attack

Again, I think your English is a little off on this one.

I'm advocating against reacting irrationally and complaining irrationally.

Again, I think your English is a little off on this one.

I'm advocating against reacting irrationally and complaining irrationally.

Yes so am I. I am against .. what I said I was against.

What is wrong with you dude? Are you awake ?

We agree on that one.

Please don't start flaming, it hurts my eyes to see you urinating on the language. Thanx.

With Gews' contribution the discussion has a factual basis and has become worthwhile.

Though expressing some irrational anger (and frustration), which seems based on incomprehension.

Some players complain up front, but are obviously not ready to try out the new elements.

Other players still don't understand, for instance,  how you must program a compensator in a digital 3D game, to actually have an effect on the player's shooting in the game, and I think they never shall understand.

There is still difficulty in grasping the requirements of digital mathematical simulation of targeting parameters unrelated to mechanical dispersion .. among some players.

It is a minority interest. But it's now a real discussion, yes ?

Edited by pilgrim

to see you urinating on the language. 

The pot calling the kettle black.

The pot calling the kettle black.

tongue in cheek, dude, but let's not go to flame and snappy-comebacks or the thread will get lost

I have an opinion about the weapons in DayZ, and I have some knowledge of programming, I'm interested in the effect on gameplay

- and I'm interested in the mathematics of this problem, which most players are not.

Trouble is, the explanations are just a little bit too long and too dry for all players to follow (even if they wanted to).

Edited by pilgrim

Tongue in cheek, dude.

Yeah right.

Edited by Exorade

Hello there

Im not sure if we will ever see attachments affect statistics, we have to remember this is a game not a hardcore milsim.

Yes, its more of a survival sim but I think the emphasis will be more on survival than combat.

Actually you are 100% wrong and I know you don't want to hear this. DayZ SA is a pvp game with zombies and not a survival game with zombies. Emphasis SHOULD be on combat as that is what it takes to survive because the zombies are little more than a annoyance between pvp battles. That may not be what was intended but it damn sure is the reality of the game.

• Like 1

Yes so am I. I am against .. what I said I was against.

What is wrong with you dude? Are you awake ?

We agree on that one.

Please don't start flaming, it hurts my eyes to see you urinating on the language. Thanx.

With Gews' contribution the discussion has a factual basis and has become worthwhile.

Though expressing some irrational anger (and frustration), which seems based on incomprehension.

Some players complain up front, but are obviously not ready to try out the new elements.

Other players still don't understand, for instance,  how you must program a compensator in a digital 3D game, to actually have an effect on the player's shooting in the game, and I think they never shall understand.

There is still difficulty in grasping the requirements of digital mathematical simulation of targeting parameters unrelated to mechanical dispersion .. among some players.

It is a minority interest. But it's now a real discussion, yes ?

When you say "I love to see you guys trying to complain and working out ways to to be pissed off before you know what's happened" in response one of my posts, it is in reference to what I said.

If you agreed with me, and wanted to express your disdain with others (besides me) you didn't say so in your post. Hence why I was confused, because you appeared to be lumping me in with folks with whom you disagree.

Edited by Katana67

Actually you are 100% wrong and I know you don't want to hear this. DayZ SA is a pvp game with zombies and not a survival game with zombies. Emphasis SHOULD be on combat as that is what it takes to survive because the zombies are little more than a annoyance between pvp battles. That may not be what was intended but it damn sure is the reality of the game.

Hello there

It may well be the reality, but its the reality of the game at this stage.

PvP will always be part of it, but survival more so as we go along.

At the moment its just a loot grab then PvP, that should change as new mechanics are added.

Otherwise its just a Arma3 "wasteland" clone with zeds.

Rgds

LoK

PS. you gys, stop arguing about grammar, k?

Edited by orlok
oops
  • Like 2

Hello there

It may well be the reality, but its the reality of the game at this stage.

PvP will always be part of it, but survival more so as we go along.

At the moment its just a loot grab then PvP, that should change as new mechanics are added.

Otherwise its just a Arma3 "wasteland" clone with zeds.

Rgds

LoK

PS. you gys, stop arguing about grammar, k?

Quote from Hicks: Zombies have never been the real threat, and never will be. They are part of the env pushing player interaction.

Isn't that a way of saying pvp is the endgame? Player interaction to do what, kill zombies? No, its player interaction to pvp each other or group up and pvp someone else. So yeah the emphasis should be more on combat as thats what player interaction leads to even with loot respawn and persistence it still comes down to defending yourself (and or the loot and group) from other players because banditry will always be present. 

Edited by Tmar09
  • Like 1

I'm a little disappointed with the CZ figures. I was hoping this would actually be reasonable. Instead, its pretty much not fit for purpose. I'll test this gun once they've released compatible accessories to bring the dispersion down to something more fitting.

Quote from Hicks: Zombies have never been the real threat, and never will be. They are part of the env pushing player interaction.

Isn't that a way of saying pvp is the endgame? Player interaction to do what, kill zombies? No, its player interaction to pvp each other or group up and pvp someone else. So yeah the emphasis should be more on combat as thats what player interaction leads to even with loot respawn and persistence it still comes down to defending yourself (and or the loot and group) from other players because banditry will always be present. 

No one said zombies wouldn't be hard, or deadly, or scary - What I said was that no matter how deadly, or overwhelming the zombies get - the biggest threat will always be another player.

Players are manipulative, deceptive, cunning, and smart (often times smarter than yourself). You can learn the behaviors of an AI, you can even learn to adapt to them and master them - regardless of how deadly or numerous they may be.

A player, another human being however is a genuine roll of the dice, and the exact reason why peoples hearts start beating fast, hands shake, and they worry about truly losing it all because they can never really know whats going to happen next.

You know what the zombie wants, there is no question about that. Another player on the other hand...

And as the zombies, and other environmental hazards of surviving in Chernarus evolve to become even deadlier, they will push players to interact with each other. Be it friendly, or otherwise - thats when the real magic of DayZ

Hello there

Here's another hicks quote.

PvP is and always will be a part of the game, but its not the sole point of the game (or at least it wont be as we go further down the line). Pure "combat" Arma style PvP of which there is a great element now should be diminished. You may well still scrap with other clans but not the way one does now.

If the game were to become just a polished version of what it is at this stage then there's little point to it IMHO.

Rgds

LoK

• Like 1