s227mario

Where am I ? (The Official)

I'm completely lost, i ran up the hill from Polana after finding a M70 with ammo, theres a water tower and a town with a police station. Where am I? I think Stary?
Pics are from phone cuz i have overlay disabled, so potatoish quality.

11541075_500743893410562_2134603385_n.jp

11424777_500744190077199_491322197_n.jpg

And finally, my current position upon restart of server:

11647376_500745510077067_1186862774_n.jp

Do you know if you ran north, east, south, or west? Here's your options on where you are... it's unclear to me which direction you went, and I forget which of these have a water tower.

27wwp5x.jpg

You can find out for sure by walking down the road and reviewing a street sign as you enter the village.

FYI - both Gorka and Dolina have police stations, but this doesn't look like Dolina to me, Dolina's police station is in a valley with it's back to a wooded hill. My best bet is Gorka.

This is roughly where I think you are and why - this looks like Gorka to me.

21az669.jpg

Edited by Death By Crowbar

Do you know if you ran north, east, south, or west? Here's your options on where you are... it's unclear to me which direction you went, and I forget which of these have a water tower.

27wwp5x.jpg

think its gorka, i ran at a weird angle. or dubrovka

Sure does look like the recently-renovated Gorka.

• Like 2

Are you taking pictures of your monitor with a camera?  :D

If you press the Print Screen button on your keyboard, you can capture your entire screen to your clipboard, and paste it in MS Paint or any other image manipulation program. 

In any steam game, the default screencap button is F12, and when you leave the game, a screen will pop up with all of the screenshots that you took during that session; a bit easier than pasting it into an image processing program.

Also, you can use the snipping tool (Windows 7+ I believe). Just type it into your search bar under the start menu ("snipping"), which makes it really easy to select just a portion of your screen to take a picture of.

Topic cleaned.
Most of you know why, one is suspended.

We all get lost and anybody who says he does not, is a derp.

Carry on.

Topic is  :thumbsup:

• Like 1

One of the points I made in a post that was subsequently deleted because I was still feeding a troll was that this thread is good to exercise knowledge of the map area... picking out landmarks... identifying terrain... buildings. 

I'm not currently lost- I know exactly where I am... The question is: Do you? 

I've taken a photo with a few notable landmarks... some subtle- others not so subtle. Some of you work this area of the map and will know it right away. Show off your knowledge! Call it out! But let us know how YOU identified it... what caught your eye? What was noteworthy to you? There might be another similar thread in here somewhere and if so please just move this to that thread and I'll carry on there. For those of you who are lost... please, I invite you to continue posting as the thread suggests. 

Anyway- this is a new area of the map for me... VERY quiet here so far. 

So pray tell... Where am I?!

2igfyph.jpg

Ah that is on the east side of Kamensk, there are some scenic wilderness camping areas south and east of there along the new river/water system

• Like 2

Nice- that is indeed very close... I am, however, on the west side of Kamensk. 

If lost- a few things I would have been looking for (since there was no sign on this side- not sure of the other side either come to think of it) were the proximity to the high tension lines visible across the top of the image and tried to match that up with that wooden bridge on the dayzdb map. The fact that I hadn't seen anyone in 2 days on a full server was also a bit of a hint that I was further north and not close to the coast. For this reason I'd have probably started my search on the map further north / west. 

The high tension lines are a REAL valuable landmark- in my opinion. One reason is because they are visible on the maps and if you see them you can trace them in search of other familiar landmarks for reference. This will help you establish your compass headings (NESW) as well as pick directional landmarks that you can head towards in confirmed directions. I come from the days of broken compasses so I haven't carried one in a long, long time. 

So in tracing power lines through the map I would see something like this on the dayzdb map: 

Blue: wooden bridge over dry riverbed (you have to expand the photo fully to see that wooden bridge)

Green: High Tension Lines.

Yellow Arrow: My location

Yellow Circle: Photo of nearby loot spawn visible near my location with the red square indicating a medium potential cache.

9undlf.png

Some guys would also be using the sun as an additional reference to be able to confirm that the power lines were to their east... I've also read about one layer of cloud moving consistently in one direction (west to east I've recently read in another thread). The ONLY problem I have with using the sun as a reference is that I frequently forget what time it is during the day in the server... I subsequently don't depend on my analogy of the sun being more east, or more west. Sometimes what I will do is determine the direction I want to go and assess where my shadow is in relation to my character... and when I'm running I'll try to keep that aspect. This is only useful if I know what direction that orientation is representing- and typically I only know that by confirming my location on a map, finding a useful landmark and then the shadow becomes like a redundant backup in the event I drop down into a valley or otherwise out of sight of the landmark. 

Anyway- got some mystery photos? 

Edited by ENO75

Can't find these towns on the dayz map been lost for a while now any1 guide me in the right direction

I'm currently in KAPMAHOBKA

Edited by Jakwesley

Can't find these towns on the dayz map been lost for a while now any1 guide me in the right direction

I'm currently in KAPMAHOBKA

Kapmahobka (Karmanovka in English) is east/northeast of Novodmitrovsk.

If you go due south you'll find the east/west railroad tracks and might have more luck getting your bearings from there.

• Like 1

Another "where is this" challenge:

2gMobsr.jpg

Another "where is this" challenge:

I would venture a guess and say map co-ordinates  070-007

I would venture a guess and say map co-ordinates  070-007

That is 100% correct, well done.

SdwkXum.jpg

There is another very similar mine complex right beside Solnichniy... that would have been my first guess. I can't look right now and verify whether it's the same door but perhaps someone remembers it or is close enough to check it out?