jubeidok

Woot! No more poor mans UAV!

I am pretty pleased to see that the poor man's UAV is gone in the the latest experimental build. What am I talking about? Any time you saw a red chain in the lower right corner it generally meant someone was now within a certain distance from you, given you weren't actually having connection problems Not sure what that distance was. I don't know how many people actually knew about this, but it pretty much meant you knew when you could free loot and for the many campers out there, when to start camping. I wish I had never known about it, it completely changed the way I played the game, but now it is gone so rejoice! Now you have to go back to properly scouting an area or just deciding when to or when not to say "fuck it, I'm goin in".

I can't help but notice how dead the experimental servers are right now. I'm willing to bet it has something to do with this, lol. Either that or peeps are just unwilling to play in the new nerfed night time lighting.

• Like 5

My buddies used this trick a lot. We were just talking about it.

• Like 1

I never confirmed it, but I had strongly suspected this, and always acted as if this was the case. Thank you for proving that Im not paranoid.

Never has it occured to me, that red chain means players nearby.

Anyway if they fixed it, then most good.

Did you hear this on one of the messages transmitted from the mysterious Green Mountain radio station, or is it a result of a rumour picked up faster than a zombie infection ?

• Like 4

Did you hear this on one of the messages transmitted from the mysterious Green Mountain radio station, or is it a result of a rumour picked up faster than a zombie infection ?

It's not a rumor, it is fact. Good squads could even tell which direction you were coming at them from. So if one of your squad is say 50 meters to your north and calls out a red chain, then a few seconds later you get the red chain, you would know that someone is coming in from the north. I learned this from a very well known streamer and DayZ'er and they are a very tactical squad. 

• Like 2

It has been the case for a looooooooong time. Do you, perhaps, play with your eyes closed?

• Like 1

You could also look on the player list and find out exactly who it was you were syncing into - If they had squad tags on, you knew there was squad coming your way :lol:

I can't help but notice how dead the experimental servers are right now. I'm willing to bet it has something to do with this, lol. Either that or peeps are just unwilling to play in the new nerfed night time lighting.

Willing to bet it's the new movement system. It's intensely annoying.

• Like 1

Posted about this in the exp thread (and another thread that got deleted) but yes had multiple contacts and no red chain warning. Hopefully it's gone for good.

• Like 2

Willing to bet it's the new movement system. It's intensely annoying.

Ya, I suppose that one too. It's pretty sad if so though. I mean, it's not really that hard to hit the space bar and both sides are dealing with it, but ya, they introduced some new bugs that can lead to frustration. You can still crouch run however, if you drop into the crouch from a run. So there are workarounds.

Question; If you were in a group of lets say.. Five? Wouldn't the red chain always be there?

• Like 2

. Either that or peeps are just unwilling to play in the new nerfed night time lighting.

What ? You mean it's darker than it was ?

Question; If you were in a group of lets say.. Five? Wouldn't the red chain always be there?

No, one you have "met" a player they will no longer red chain for you. So I think that means once the player is drawn for you, line of sight, but I'm not 100% on whether or not they can ever be a red chain for you again if they go out of your range and then back in range.

Is this news to anyone? Ever since the whole network bubble idea came in, it was obvious that if you got the red chain it was because someone had entered your bubble (oo-er-missus)

Edited by ricp

What ? You mean it's darker than it was ?

No, much much lighter. A really light grey scale. Maybe I'm just seeing things, but I'm quite sure than night in 46 was lighter than 45 and now 47 is lighter than 46. They even shifted a lot of the servers from a 15:00-17:00 cycle to a 16:00-18:00 cycle in an attempt to showcase the change.

Anyone else find this to be the case?

Is this news to anyone? Ever since the whole network bubble idea came in, it was obvious that if you got the red chain it was because someone had entered your bubble (oo-er-missus)

Yeah, I thought this was common knowledge too. I think a lot of people suspected it, but it was never official.

• Like 1

I am pretty pleased to see that the poor man's UAV is gone in the the latest experimental build. What am I talking about? Any time you saw a red chain in the lower right corner it generally meant someone was now within a certain distance from you, given you weren't actually having connection problems Not sure what that distance was. I don't know how many people actually knew about this, but it pretty much meant you knew when you could free loot and for the many campers out there, when to start camping. I wish I had never known about it, it completely changed the way I played the game, but now it is gone so rejoice! Now you have to go back to properly scouting an area or just deciding when to or when not to say "fuck it, I'm goin in".

I was actually surprised how "quickly" they took care of that exploit along with bandwidth exploit.

As for the new night time it needs a fix because when you crank up alpha players actually starts to "glow" and you can spot them like with some kind of heat vision a'la predator or thermal scope.

what should I do when I see a yellow chain? Panic?

No yellow chains either anymore.

PS.

They should work now on poor mans NVG's hue.

Edited by Frosti
  • Like 1

Yeah, I stumbled upon this on my own within my first few times of playing the game.. it shocked the hell out of me how you could use your ping/connection info on the player list to "track" other players.. I told some friends about it who are like me and dont exploit things and then just let it go and forgot about it. I honestly never once after that would even get "alert" when my red chain came up. I would just treat it as a connection loss and slow down for a moment so things could "catch" up. Reading this sort of reminded me of all of that.. and now that I hear its gone, THANK GOD! :D

Weird I'd see the red chain frequently on an empty server... Must be ghosts entering my bubble

• Like 1

Weird I'd see the red chain frequently on an empty server... Must be ghosts entering my bubble

On the .46 or experimental .47 ?

Because fix is only on experimental I think. For now.

Edited by Frosti

Bad news.

Player proximity alert is still there.

On experimental .47 now instead of red chain when player is nearby you are "losing connection" for 10-30 seconds and this mean some player is 100-500 meters away from you.

Edited by Frosti

Bad news.

Bad news indeed  :(

I was getting all excited about starting a new character on experimental tonight...