SmashT

Experimental Branch: 0.47 Discussion

Spent hours running around checking empty buildings, picking apple trees that mostly returned nothing, and punching zombies because there was no melee weapons to find.   Yeah, I love immersion as much as the next guy, but those hours were not fun.   I feel like I wasted every single minute of the playing time I set aside for this game this weekend.

• Like 1

Stop moaning, this is a survival game at base, not Wolvensteine and the Zombie Attack of 44, I expect there is a reason for all this trouble you are having finding loot and server restarts (or not).
Played myself for 4 hours yesterday, most frustrating...(DE 0.5 if you want to know).

Nav mesh is working quite well, it's just that the Z's suxxZ and the hit distance/range is way off but we know that already (don't we) !

It is recommended by the Devs that you reset controls to default, as has been posted beforehand.

tested it on hardcore, has not yet been fixed

Thanks, that sucks :[

Shotgun is borked?  That explains why I died, twice - and why I can find shotguns and shotgun shells when I can't find anything else.

D'Oh!

Z

It's been broken for going on 3 full (stable) patches now.  The thing only shoots a single pellet, instead of the full spread.  They've finally acknowledged the problem somewhat recently, but I don't understand what the difficulty in fixing it is or how they even broke it to begin with.

Just hit a wall again trying to hit a zombie inside that surprised me and wasn't able to attack again after that. I relogged and tried just hitting a wall with my axe but it kept working fine. Both times I believe the zombie I tried to hit was glitching through the wall, so the first one glitching halfway out of a building it was locked in, the other running after me got next to me when i first swung but then went back and came through the door way properly after. Perhaps its when you try to hit a zombie that is glitched there.

I've also had a few instances of rubberbanding zombies and sometimes they're easy to hit but sometimes hard. I was also starving after clearing gorka and polana there was only a single banana. I went to Novy and found 3 garages and the opposite building weren't looted and found a little food (was about to die of starvation) and proceeded to Stary which didn't seem to be looted at all, whether no one went there or it respawned I don't know. Found plenty of food, a Mosin, long range scope, mosin ammo near it, backpack etc.

• Like 1

Just hit a wall again trying to hit a zombie inside that surprised me and wasn't able to attack again after that. I relogged and tried just hitting a wall with my axe but it kept working fine. Both times I believe the zombie I tried to hit was glitching through the wall, so the first one glitching halfway out of a building it was locked in, the other running after me got next to me when i first swung but then went back and came through the door way properly after. Perhaps its when you try to hit a zombie that is glitched there.

I've also had a few instances of rubberbanding zombies and sometimes they're easy to hit but sometimes hard. I was also starving after clearing gorka and polana there was only a single banana. I went to Novy and found 3 garages and the opposite building weren't looted and found a little food (was about to die of starvation) and proceeded to Stary which didn't seem to be looted at all, whether no one went there or it respawned I don't know. Found plenty of food, a Mosin, long range scope, mosin ammo near it, backpack etc.

I actually uninstalled DayZ SA completely, then reinstalled it this morning after work.  I have not had that issue with the LMB since.

I've had problems with the fire axe and the machete not being able to hit a zed to save my life, splitting axe is working just fine, in fact even better than before since I am getting one hit kills on zeds with it. 

Edited by Barnabus

Don't know if this is a new thing or not but everything I throw seems to disappear.

I noticed cos I threw a mosin off the roof of one of those little kiosk things with the ladder at the back and, lo & behold, said mosin was no longer there! Then tried throwing a can from the roof & another from the ground with the same results. Anyone else encounter this?

Hi guys!! First of all do not run down the stairs in blocks north from Cherno!!! Use ladder! I went down to fast and missed the ladder, since the doors were closed i didnt bother bout speed im going with and i ended up in ground floor flat!! Stuck licke a walking dead in prison... Anybody kind enough to help me find that Team support Thingy(however it was called)... PLS!!

Does anyone know what the server restart schedule is? I swear it is on a 24 hr restart, not 4 hr. Granted this weekend I wasn't able to play at once for a long time, but this past day it seems like it hasn't restarted at all. Am I just crazy?

Does anyone know what the server restart schedule is? I swear it is on a 24 hr restart, not 4 hr. Granted this weekend I wasn't able to play at once for a long time, but this past day it seems like it hasn't restarted at all. Am I just crazy?

The servers arent resettting at all and there is no LOOT in the cities

EDIT===DEVS Restart the servers, people are starving to death because all of the cities have been looted.

Edited by BigCountry101

Actually, people are quitting because of the lack of loot.

The servers arent resettting at all and there is no LOOT in the cities

EDIT===DEVS Restart the servers, people are starving to death because all of the cities have been looted.

Actually they might be testing memory leak issues like they did several months ago. Servers were up for 3 days straight then I believe

I made my way from Polana to Zelenegorsk and I've found loot, not plenty, sometimes only at places where it started to spawn recently and people don't know about it, but passed Stary I had no trouble with food, Vyshnoye was unlooted, went west to Green Mountain and it was raided but found Zelenegorsk pretty untouched...

14512827687_d15e2afd23_b.jpg

• Like 1

Played for 12 hours yesterday, hardcore, two different servers and you know what, I enjoyed it.  Here's what I experienced... Keep in mind, I have approx. 1000 hours in game total, so I've been around the block a few times.

Traveled from the far North West corner to the South East corner of the map, North to South, then East and back again zig-zagging between towns.  Food was plentiful, some towns hardly touched, however, police, military and every other high value target was cleaned out.  Sometimes the only building touched was the police station.  I'm guessing I was in 500+ buildings, all types.

Gearing up was slow and a grind, but to be honest, it felt satisfying. Primary weapon - Shotgun.  Full length barrel for 8 hours of my playing session. I could not find a hacksaw to save my life.  Speaking of the shotgun, two rounds to take out a Zed at point blank range, killed 30 or 40 that way.  I also killed a boar with it, 3 shots to take it down.  Single hit with fire axe for Zeds, probably a couple hundred killed overall.

Other observations/moments:

• I did not see another human, ever.  Most of my playtime was at night.
  • 1 broken arm, from a leaping Zed smacking me, used maybe 6 bandages throughout.
  • Lag/teleporting/desync - Minor typically, but was there at times.  Especially with all the players joining / leaving.  Only a handful of players would join and stay on the server for more than an hour.
  • No problems with stairs anywhere.  In all the hours played I've broken a leg 3 times.
  • Animals - 8 cows, 2 boars, 3 deer, 1 goat, no bunnies.
  • Backpacks were scarce, but could be found. Kiddie types mostly.
  • Ranged weapons, mosin seemed almost common at times, probably 8 or 10 of them, however ammo was not), SKS - stumbled across three of them, carrying one now since I was finally able to cutdown my shotty.     
  • Side arms, only came across 6 or so .22 cal side arms, no others.
  • Ammo though not common, with some searching it could be found except the 51mm 7.62 variety.
  • Loot variety and spawn locations are better randomized imho.  Places of old, long forgotten in previous builds. spawned items I would not expect. Examples, 3 pristine LRS's found in non-military locations.
  • Did not come across a single helicopter, I wasn't searching for them specifically, but do know a few spawn locations, nadda one.
  • Lightning/Thunder is LOUD.

Some other notable gear I found, Gorka E military jacket - Pautrev camo (pristine) found in a hay barn (my new favorite), 3 walkie talkies, 100+ chem lights, (luv these things) I left buildings glowing all across Chernarus including placing 4 on top of Devils Castle all lit up.  Speaking of Devil's Castle, that place is scary at night, not to mention dangerous traversing in the dark.  No fishing lures, and I was really looking for one to try out.  Had two of them before the latest wipe. It might be common knowldege or my stupidity, but don't attach them to your Boone hat. I could not remove it once I did.
Lots of other pristine items also, PSO scope, etc.  Interestingly enough, the sewing kit is a must to keep clothing in good shape on scarce items.

Tried cooking meat for the first time (boar). Meat still goes from raw to burnt, just dumb. Oh and you can't place a hot cooking pot in your backpack until it cools, (may also be common knowledge for the chefs out there).  Also, I was unable to chop firewood (using fire axe) on multiple tree types or find any kindling after chopping down bushes (using the search for kindling option).

All-in-all a really good day...ihmo.

Edited by Super_Duty
  • Like 7

It might be common knowldege or my stupidity, but don't attach to your Boone hat. I could not remove it once I did.  Tried cooking meat for the first time (boar). Meat still goes from raw to burnt, just dumb. Oh and you can't place a hot cooking pot in your backpack until it cools, (may also be common knowledge for the chefs out there).  Also, I was unable to chop firewood (using fire axe) on multiple tree types or find any kindling after chopping down bushes (using the search for kindling option).

you need to use a frying pan instead of a cooking pot for your meat if you don't want it to burn. A common case of slightly to early realism

Actually, people are quitting because of the lack of loot.

Lol it's really not that bad , if your one of those kids that only loot around the east shore, then yes you're going to have a bad time ... But if you go inland it's really not that bad (people are just too used to being spoiled in loot within the first hour of play , this new testing 24 hr cycle gives us a glimpse of how "survivally" dayZ will really get , I'm guessing they are gauging our reactions to a loot-less server so they can determine how fast loot should respawn) .

Me and A friend played for easily five hours last night on two different servers (us southwest and us northeast experimental ) the first was "BONE DRY" yet after two hours on the first server we managed to acquire : two mountain backpacks , two blaze double rifles , a sporter , 2 fnx45 (with red dot sight ) an amphibian s with a 10 round clip and half a back pack full of food and water , not to mention the three packs of matches and two fireaxes we found in one town ...

Then we logged into another server after we smoked some good stuff and we found : a compass , 15 apples after we picked a tree for 10 minutes which kept us from starving after we ate all our food , and finally we ended the night by finding some saline bags (along with more food a ton of ammo and full ttsko gear found in a new looking house near stary / novy sobor I believe) ...

Loot run : krasnostov to gorka, gorka to novy/stary sobor , sobor to kabanino (dichina) military base , dichina to northwest airfield , NW airfield to Zelenogorsk military base , and finally Zelenogorsk to pavlovo military base . Complete this loot cycle in 2 different servers and you will have all the loot you need even on dead servers !!!

Note : we did not kill rob or steal to get ANY of our loot . We checked every car that people forgot and found a little civilian house near stary/novy sobor that is new (has stars on the houses trim) and no one knows it has loot spawning in it yet cuz although the whole town was raided this one little (new looking) small house was unopened (because it looks like one of those small houses that spawns no loot ) but when we went in we found full ttsko gear and like 4 canned goods in the kitchen !! So yes the loot could be a little more plentiful but like I said two stoned-hungry survivalists survived on experimental for five hours and you can too !!!

Edited by Grapefruit kush
  • Like 4

Not everyone's quitting because of the lack of loot. 

Some people in Dayz SA have probably gotten used to the ridiculous amount of loot everywhere and of course it's frustrating for them to see little or no loot at all. I think nowadays it's too easy to gear up, which leads to the game becoming more of a normal, boring, fps game with a huge map since you don't really have to survive anymore; just go pick some food, guns, meds or whatever you need from couple of villages and that's it. The only threats are other players. Instead of combining PvP and PvE, it's now just PvP. Loot has hardly any value.

For example, I like the new hunting and cooking systems but it's hard to see any point in them since you can just pick up loads of water and food from a random house and put them in your gigantic backpack.

• Like 2

i do agree with the fact that is is to easy to gear up. But if they want us to test new features and gear, it might be a good idea to restart the servers more regulary, so more players can get the gear to test it out.

I found one major problem with the current state of expiremental:

There is literally no reason meet players anymore unless it is for PVP fun. Now that loot is so precious that you don't want to take the risk of meeting a zombie or raider to fuck it up in a cities that's nearly empty there is no main clash point of people. Increasing the amount of zombies is useless because it makes the cities even less attractive and 100 player servers makes loot rarer and the risk of meeting a asshat even bigger so that cant really solve it either. what do you guys think?

I found one major problem with the current state of expiremental:

There is literally no reason meet players anymore unless it is for PVP fun. Now that loot is so precious that you don't want to take the risk of meeting a zombie or raider to fuck it up in a cities that's nearly empty there is no main clash point of people. Increasing the amount of zombies is useless because it makes the cities even less attractive and 100 player servers makes loot rarer and the risk of meeting a asshat even bigger so that cant really solve it either. what do you guys think?

The way it is now isn't the way it will be. The people saying 'oh great it's a survival sim now' are similar to those defending the bugged weapon sway. They'll defend anything as being the best thing ever no matter what. For me, it's obvious this weekend was about seeing how servers coped without restarts. They've coped well. But that's not to say that anyone who fresh spawned into a server 8 hours into its uptime were going to have a good time.  Thing is experimental is more for the devs than us.

• Like 2

I am hoping that this is just a glitch.  Because otherwise, they set this up and went home on a Friday, without telling us they were going to f*** up our weekend.  That would seriously damage trust in the DevGru.

Hicks, at least, was in game yesterday, he has to be aware of the situation.  But have we got any communication at all about this?

Z

The server I play on restarted.

04.00 am
I made it from north of Kamyshovo where I found a screw driver, can of beans, a ballistic helmet and a pick axe.
Headed down to Elektro keeping close to the coast and doing a lot of sneaking around , you can get by the Z's if you are quiet.
I witnessed a couple of guys get eaten alive simple because they were running through Elektro and disturbing the Z's

I found a jacket, some rope but no burlap sack to make a bag, swopped my pick axe for a firemans axe :thumbsup:, was eating and drinking what I found along the way .

Got out of Elektro and headed up to Pusta, found some 6 pocket trousers and a kiddies school bag :lol:

Headed up to Mogilevka found a 18 slot backpack and a shotgun but no slugs and various ammo, still no hand gun .

Server restated as dawn came up....

Up to Zub castle, in daylight now,  found a  .22 hand held pea shooter, stopped on the way to quench my thirst  in the yard just below.

Made my way down to Nadezdino where I found an SKS, I had 16 bullets in my bag, I dropped the shot gun, for the next survivor that makes it that far, found a compass in the barn, now heading west up to Bor.... 

Some new loot stacks as well, I found a flare, scope and morphine, not the sort of gear that another player would drop (this was on another life on a building site).

I met another guy in the middle of nowhere, he just asked if I needed anything and if I knew where we were, I told him and off he went happy as a larry, scared the shyte out of me, he could have just shot me, he was geared up, so I'm not the only one alive and kicking it seems.

Server performance is pretty good as well.

This is starting to feel like a survival game,,,,I had to make the choice of what to keep several times, I've left a couple of scopes, maps and other stuff that I would not have had to leave in the Stable build.

I also really enjoyed the night time looting in Elektro, sneaking and peeking, reminded me of the good ol DayZ when if it was a full or half moon here in my time zone, then it was the same in-game.

I believe a lot of the newer players are going to have a hard time if and when everything falls into place but remember peeps,,,WIP as always.

• Like 5

Food was plentiful, some towns hardly touched, however, police, military and every other high value target was cleaned out.  Sometimes the only building touched was the police station.

This.

I'm not going to say that it doesn't bug me, but then it's not so annoying I'm raging at it. I'm just a little disappointed that server hopping is still a very easy option for looting up. Me? I honestly couldn't be bothered, I quite like slowly building up my gear on the same server, but it would be nice to see if the devs could work out a way of reducing this sort of thing.

• Like 3

I always find that experimental servers never have any loot. Probably because they never seem to restart. How long is an exp server usualy up for? Are there set schedules for restarts?

Im trying to find the parts for the AK 101 currently for a video but no luck so far. Anyone up for trade?

• Like 1

I've really enjoyed the lack of server restarts. Everything's pretty cleaned out near the shore but venture in a bit and you'll find that most cities are only semi-looted (police stations and whatnot) and some cities are even untouched. Nonetheless, I'm currently looking for a damn knife of some sort so I can finally get food from hunting.

Edited by solodude23

Pro tip: Atm, its saver to use a sickle than a baseball bat. The bat will just go straight trough the zombie and the Sickle finally packs a punch. (I did place my controls at the new default)