Sign in to follow this  
FrostDMG

Why do you insist on putting in large cities?

I'm more upset about the fact that there are only cities and army zones in the game, nothing really unique. It doesn't matter what area of the map you are in, you will get all the same items from any location. If they would add places like prisons, shopping malls, metros, huge farms or such in the game it would be so much better. The new town they added in the North part of the map near the NEAF I have went in once, had to play with like 5-20 FPS and didn't even waste my time looting the area since I can find everything I need from elsewhere and safer. I really dislike them adding new cities because we already have only cities. 

That is just my opinion though, the dev team is doing a great job and I'm sure these problems will be sorted out but they still are focusing too much on adding cities IMO.

• Like 1

I'm sure others have said this, but once they yank the renderer and/or fix some of the occlusion bits (they've spoken about it, but I'm development illiterate so I may be misusing those terms) then I would assume that client-side performance would improve as well.

So there's certainly room for improvement.

However, I wouldn't have an issue with the cities up north if they were being offset by an expansion of the wilderness. But they aren't. They're just being plopped down with no regard to their proximity to what was previously the main "wild" area of Chernarus.

As I've indicated in my "Save The Trees" thread, the wilderness is shrinking. In more ways than one too (a big one being the running speed, which they've said is temporary so I'm less worried about it).

http://forums.dayzgame.com/index.php?/topic/185396-save-the-trees-man-marginalized-wilderness/

And it's only going to get worse. If you look at the east-west axis upon which they're placing new cities, coupled with the areas which appear to already be reserved for cities... the wilderness gets even smaller. Moreover, the only "wild" area of Chernarus is now confined to the western forest south of Lopatino.

Until they consider adding more wilderness to DayZ, I don't really want any more cities to be added.

Edited by Katana67
  • Like 1

just posting again here to confirm that i am getting the same frame rates in karmanovka as i do in cherno/electro/svelto. approx 30-39 when looking around the areas.

• Like 1

I hope they keep adding cities until Chernarus is one big metropolis, like New York, surrounded by hundreds of miles of wilderness. /s

No, but really. New cities are awesome.

Edited by scriptfactory

Oh, jesus, don't mention frame rates and client optimisation, they don't like that sort of chat around here...  :rolleyes:

That said I like the addition of Novo, it's turning into a great town. It really deserves a server that has more than 40 people on it though. The whole Northern road (going West to East) will be filled in, imo, by the time we hit beta.

I don't usually have a problem with big cities, apart from the inconsistent FPS in them. Sometimes you can look one direction and have 5 fps, look 180 degrees the other way, back to 60.

We're just running low on space now. The entire north will be filled with cities soon. Not only will every city feel the same, but the beloved wilderness shrinks for no valid reason. The only valid reason to further diminish the wilderness is to add new, unseen buildings (I don't mean add a whole city with one new building, like the last one). Add a prison, a small civilian airport with newly modeled civilian hangars and civilian ATC tower. I've already seen a quarry in the works, which is good. We need more unique places, like rify. If you have any new buildings, please add them to existing towns, like you did the police station. More cities will be a lot less useful than even wilderness.

• Like 1

I like my new City, no one goes there because they all lag out :P No zeds either(Hope they fix this). I can be safe and loot the place clean most of the time. And the view from the top of the town hall is amazing.

I really like Novodmitrovsk, particularly the effort that went into the industrial area, the new town hall, and the river/canal on the southern side. That said, we don't need any more cities. I would like a few more small villages and maybe another medium town, then call it done.

Give us more unique locations and cool things to find out in the wild. Places that will be difficult to find but rewarding in their coolness, their view, or whatever.

Give us more unique locations and cool things to find out in the wild. Places that will be difficult to find but rewarding in their coolness, their view, or whatever.

The moment I found my first castle, didnt know they existed, epic. 

Thats about the only wow feeling Ive got in exploration, everything else looks more and less the same.

For me, Novo runs smooth like butter

You added a new building to that city - I can't wait to never see it.

You can explore ChernarusPlus by making the landscape itself a mod in Arma 3 (teleport freely around, fly around with a helicopter etc)....

absolutely agree, OP. I bought this game in the hopes of getting a much better framerate... not really that great results so far. In the forests its pretty fine, but enter a city and the immersion drops just like the framerate. Better light effects or animations dont really help there either. I dont care about these kind of cosmetics and sometimes the prioritization of the devs leave me in confusion. But hey, optimization is coming "later", after you clusterfucked the whole map with buildings and unnecessary stuff. GOOD PLAN. IM SURE IT WILL WORK OUT SPLENDIDLY.

Edited by 27 others

You know map design is a very important thing in video games..  I hope they are not taking that too lightly. 

I really liked that in the mod, there were specific places you went when you needed an item. You knew the chances of others looking for the same item would be high if the server had a good pop because the locations were limited. It took risks to find a particular more rare item, or to go military base looting.

Now, I can choose just about any town to find any item I need. If I want military base loot I have, quite literally, 7-8 different locations that can offer me what I need. (When you take distance into account, some milbase locations are too large to cover the entire area with 1-2 players so this makes it in my mind work like as if its 2 locations rather than just one. Like take the NWAF spanning from Bashnya all the way to its Southern Fence line. Too large for even a 4 man team to cover the whole thing effectively.) 

I just like how it was before when you had less mil bases, less places to find certain items.. people had to travel to specific places and there was almost always action at those spots due to the limited number of them. Players have far too many choices now if they want to find something specific.. But its still really early so no need to get too concerned with it at this point..

EDIT/UPDATE: After some more thought I realized a very good reason why they would be adding in so many villages and towns across the map, in turn sort of shrinking the wilderness..

Barricading and base building. 

It seems to me that they are focusing more on boarding up and barricading buildings than they are on giving us building supplies and set pieces to make our own custom bases. This is of course just my guess based on some statements and things that would be required for custom base building. They spoke about spawning in to "protected areas" in regards to barricading and if you think about it, what better way to give us the option of making a place called home than to barricade up an existing building? I mean would you really set out and build a cabin in an apocalypse if you did not have too? 

Another interesting point. Not long ago they stated that earlier on barricading and persistent objects were actually finished but pulled back after a "few bugs were found" and left on the shelf due to "other priorities".. Im paraphrasing but thats the gist of it. Now that would mean these things may arrive very soon. ;) Hopefully. 

Edited by lrish
  • Like 1

I don't suffer as badly from the lag in cities as some of you talk about.

Have you guys "unparked" all your processors cores? My performance in games has increased considerably since having unparked mine. 

If you have never unparked all the cores of your CPU, here's a link to show you the process.

http://www.coderbag.com/Programming-C/Disable-CPU-Core-Parking-Utility

FYI.....this article talks about Intel, however as an owner of an AMD FX8350, I can confirm it works for both CPU's

Edited by Mystic Bagel