Time Glitch

The ONLY Realistic Way to Prevent Deathmatching: Make DayZ a Living Hell

Look, in my house there are many birds. In the morning they sing and I love them. But they are not there because they like me. They see advantage in being there. My house is the only one on my street where there are trees in the yard, there they find shelter and food (the food of my dogs, bastards >:( ). And that's how nature works.

Cooperation Should Be spontaneous. Should Rocket create a mechanic where the people choose cooperate rather than kill. People Should Advantages to see personal Them to group with others.

:thumbsup: :beans: :beans: The more the advantages outweigh the disadvantages, there will be more chances of people getting together. :beans: :beans: :thumbsup:

If the game (zombies) becomes more difficult (I am in favor) then people will be more afraid to fire your weapon. On the other hand, if guns are underused, why have them? Why have a variety of weapons if you fire it will cause a greater inconvenience? So just give a winchester to everybody and that is it! We do not need an AS50 to kil a zombie.

Maybe if there was a system of clans and friends ingame, people would begin to play along with those who get along well .. Players would continue to be the biggest threat (which I think makes sense in a situation of WROL) but there would be more cohesive groups ;) , which would make the game more difficult, which is good! :thumbsup: :beans:

Edited by kovalhuk

I'd also like to keep in mind that whilst adding more realism with things like 'broken bones' that don't heal for a day' might just motivate players to suicide and walk back to their body because "that's easier".

Although we crave realism and complex mechanics game-wise, but the overhead of all these items does increase the time you need to keep mending them, thus we might end up with more survival-simulation then we bargained for. Spending 50% of your time managing injuries/health.

Keep in mind, 35 minutes of average life expectancy is already low, I feel the game should still remain playable for single player + less experienced users.

Cooperation Should Be spontaneous. Should Rocket create a mechanic where the people choose cooperate rather than kill. People Should Advantages to see personal Them to group with others.

I like this part of your post. The game should be tuned to enable spontaneous cooperation. Dead on.

Why have a variety of weapons if you fire it will cause a greater inconvenience? So just give a winchester to everybody and that is it! We do not need an AS50 to kil a zombie.

Maybe if there was a system of clans and friends ingame, people would begin to play along with those who get along well .. Players would continue to be the biggest threat (which I think makes sense in a situation of WROL) but there would be more cohesive groups ;) , which would make the game more difficult, which is good! :thumbsup: :beans:

I really don't like this part, though. Contrary to what some posters may like to believe, I am not anti-pvp. Utterly removing the variety of guns in the game would have a HUGE, negative impact on the variety and quality of pvp in this game, which in turn would ruin the constant tension and suspense this game currently has going for it.

As for friends and clans, the possibility for these things should be there, but not via some artificial system.This game is about sandbox, not enforcing or even supporting friendships, clans or other organizations. There should be strong incentives to make friends spontaneously, yes, but the game shouldn't force you to stay friends, and definitely shouldn't punish you for breaking your friendships.

Edited by Flambo

There are a lot of great suggestions in this topic.

What I personally would like to see in the game (that would help to create a more authentic social experience) is first of all the removal of kill counts and such. I'd like a more personal and emotional connection between players interacting.

Most importantly something like (I've read and posted on this before) logs that works like auto-diaries, logging your adventures and all that happens to you and the world around you and that are available for pick-up by whoever comes across your dead body. You should of course be able to write in it as well, writing some in-character RP thingy about family or hopes and dreams, or, while bleeding out, write about you feelings for the one that shot you.

Also a deep character customization every time you spawn. Forcing the player to specify the personality and really creating a new identity every time you spawn would create a more emotional connection to your character which WILL be gone forever upon death. The goal should be to make the player care more about their current character more than their equipment. Equipment can be reobtained and stored throughout several respawns, but the character who died will be forever gone from the world, with the only sign of their existence to be found in the pages of their friend's or their own diary (the diary should never despawn from the world, or should at least somehow always be available to find in the world, and character bodies shouldn't despawn either, but rather decay and become part of nature, leaving old equipment and skeleton remains to be found).

To implement more emotion into the experience, we must look at psychological research of what triggers empathy and emotional attachments to other people or living beings.

One of these triggers I know to be familiarity. To recognize yourself in another person's situation or history. Logs would do this in retrospect of a murder (but having a lasting effect on future decisions in similar situations).

Guilt is another trigger, which would arise from committing an unjustified act of violence or oppression against others who only showed kindness. This is more tricky, but the effect could be replicated by having the default stance changed from weapon-at-the-ready to being empty-handed (which is honestly the only realistic default stance) and thus forcing murderers (who we now mistakenly label as bandits) to shoot their victims while they pose no threat, just like on the beach (I was jerking around the other day after being killed, axing people in Elektro; I snuck up on a fresh-spawn with a flashlight and axed him to the ground while he pleaded for mercy in deep despair - it was heart-breaking and I ended up giving him morphine, bandage and eventually sacrificing my own life to save his by running up to and axing a bandit dead while taking bullets point-blank). This should create a sense of guilt in a normal player and as such weed out the non-sociopaths from those more fitting the role of a cold-blooded murderer in DayZ. Traveling with no weapon readily in your hands would also enable actual acts of banditry/piracy/robbery and taking hostages (or just bullying) and automatically creates a clear visual distinction between people looking for trouble and those who don't (no need for bandit-skins).

Edited by Athrins
  • Like 1

im another vote for not making it impossible to solo. But i too would like to see K.O.S. end. But please please please please! don't make this a force grouping game. I have to force group every stinking day in RL, i dont want to do it on my escapes.

I'm in the US army, and stationed at Kuwait right now. I have played a TON of online games over the last decade+ (first one was the Realm, lol) and every time they have tried to make it to where you HAVE to group, i move on.

i do think we need incentives to group, but not a requirement. And i think the reason people don't group is because there is nothing permanent about the game. If you die, no big. Even in lawless times of human history, people have grouped. They wanted to build, and they wanted to use each others talents. This leads me to believe that two things will have to occur in order for people to desire to group.

1. Permanency. They are going to be able to have to carve out a nitch of their own, but need to have help to do it. Because the game 1 hour in is almost identical to 8 hours in right now. BUT, if say, one man can make a tent, two can build a better tent, three or four, maybe a perimeter with an npc guard or two... This can scale up to the point entire towns that can produce food and water (BIG group) and become trading post. (If you look at history, this is how and why most places form towns)

2. Exclusive skills (and I don't mean classes per say) I would think more of a classless system. a skill tree that you can advance down for every hour alive, with a cap on max time. You can specialize, and be a very narrow but useful person (healers come readily to mind, also technical types maintaining radio OR electrical systems, mechanics, gun smiths to improve weapons and manufacture ammo) or a generalist lone wolf (I can put on band-aids, and i can hunt, and oh oh oh i know how to track game)

Basically, make the game more about more then find loot, spend loot, rinse and repeat

But thats just me, maybe i need to brush up on java or something

I wholeheartedly agree.

For me, this seems to be the only feasible way to make team play more appealing.

Making everything harder and more scarce, as the OP proposed, sure isn't. People will simply band together in their existing groups of RL friends and murder everyone else for resources, pretty much as it is now.

It would only serve to further punish lone wolfs.

If we had some sort of class system (with different skins according to profession) people would think twice before shooting a medic for example. He's the one who could heal you after all, and you CANT use his stuff yourself. So there's not much to accomplish by murdering him, but there might be some gain in making contact.

Similarly, even lone wolfs, skilled for survival and hunting game, could approach a settlement of players and offer some meat for trade. Afterwards, they could be off again, to do whatever they want.

Sure, the group could murder them, but that would dry up a potential future source of meat.

I say no! I need more blood bath mass murders GIIIVEEE MEEE YO BEANS. Surviving is lame and boring. Surviving off other people is exciting and more rewarding. Why search hours and hours to find something only to be shot in the back by someone else who loaded in when I can just hunt other people?

I say no! I need more blood bath mass murders GIIIVEEE MEEE YO BEANS. Surviving is lame and boring. Surviving off other people is exciting and more rewarding. Why search hours and hours to find something only to be shot in the back by someone else who loaded in when I can just hunt other people?

dude...

come on man,..if you think that, then you're playing the wrong game

Beyond hope.

Oh, humanity.

• Like 1

You probably would have even more fun if the murders actually meant something more.

You didn't read this thread, did you...?*

*Rhetorical question- your manner of speaking and chosen avatar describes exactly how little of the topic you read.

hi,

as long as players can shoot each other, they will.

Agree, and if loot is rarer it will become worst. It is how humans are. People are not going to team up because it is harder to survive. It actually be the opposite.

ATM, I kill on sight if it's not somebody who's on TS with me. I kill because I can, I also kill to wipe out potential threat and since it is easy loot and it is not going to change because game is harder.

Rule number 1 trust noone.

cya.

Nikiller.

Edited by Nikiller
  • Like 1

I somehow think people might just eat their can of beans with you then murder you to take the other 3 cans in your pack :(

...and that would be their choice. But right now, that's the only choice. This would make it so that banditry is no longer the only option.

Reduce drastically the availability of ammunition.

Remove the kills count.

Problem solved.

• Like 1

Reduce drastically the availability of ammunition.

Remove the kills count.

Problem solved.

Agreed. And make military guns (IE: The L85 AWS) UBER RARE (0.11 spawn chance)

+1 dayz is so easy and its not even survival when its this easy. I dont mind the killing people to a point. Its to easy to find guns, food, meds, its to easy to do everything. I get bored I start killing people. Nothing else to do in the game besides to kill people without reason. Make this game harder please.

People clearly just aren't going to read through 21 pages. It's understandable, I guess. I'm done here, either way. Hopefully Rocket will see this and see potential. =)

I'll team up with my real life friends thanks, everyone else can go to hell.

You could go uber excessive and have dynamic spawn points. Ie, Spawn at a car crash bleeding/shock/broken bones, spawn on beach already cold and ill, spawn in boarded up house surrounded by zeds starving and thirsty XD

• Like 1

I don't want to rely on other players, I really don't. I'm a survivor, and only killed once because someone scared the living hell out of me (can't even ask if he is friendly because there is no chat >_> kill or be killed). If I have to find someone on the forum to fix my damn leg, and then have to wait 24 hours for my leg to heal while I hobble around like a zombie, then I'd be pissed.

It's already better with friends, and by making it so that people NEED to group up to survive kinda kills the entire feeling of wandering around by yourself, knowing that if you play it smart, you can survive.

I don't want to rely on other players, I really don't. I'm a survivor, and only killed once because someone scared the living hell out of me (can't even ask if he is friendly because there is no chat >_> kill or be killed). If I have to find someone on the forum to fix my damn leg, and then have to wait 24 hours for my leg to heal while I hobble around like a zombie, then I'd be pissed.

It's already better with friends, and by making it so that people NEED to group up to survive kinda kills the entire feeling of wandering around by yourself, knowing that if you play it smart, you can survive.

I Think we need a squad spawning feature or a group spawning feature to make this game more interesting.

You'd just need to play smarter. =P It would only make it more impressive for lone wolves to be able to survive, simply because it's meant to be more difficult than grouping together, unlike how it is now.

• Like 1

i agree with all of this... it is very realistic... all this could happen in a real life apocalyptic scenario... i wish people would work together like how they used to.... it wasn't always player killing... as a player and fan of DayZ, i would like to see this game succeed and honestly i think this would make the game succeed more than it is now (which by the way numbers a re going up allot) if they were to add this i'm not sure that this would help entirely... maybe a little, but like you said their is just way to much p.v.p... i wish people weren't so mean... if this was implemented into the game you would almost need to work together, i think this would help allot... i hope one of the devs read this :)

I couldn't agree any more than I do right now, on anything, harder than I can on this thread. You sir have my beans, and my support. Thinking of making a signature for this thread, couldn't think of any pictures though so it would be limited at best. but it is 3:30 Am here, so I will work on getting this more support.

Now my opinion: I've seen a few people just thinking that adding a few extra cooperative elements will change the game entirely. The answer is the community isn't as fragile and easily shaped. With each new player comes a new personality, new morals, and new ideas. In this alpha stage everyone knows there will be drastic changes in gameplay, most people respect that, some would rather keep DayZ's simple roots, which in many ways is insanely fun, but as rocket said, It is more of a simulation than a game, even though he knows what it has become, a true zombie apocalypse game with raving fans, die hard fighters, and those out to save the world. Like any game community, especially those of the FPS genre, have the "everything will die" players aswell as the more mild players, but as many many many many(x16)... people have said the trust between players is at an all time low, there is little to no interaction, most people just destroy anyone dumb enough to poke their heads out to try to form alliances. I see no problem with the fact that it is hard to find trustworthy allies, but I mean really, in a post apocalyptic world, whats better than having to pick interactions, calculating consequences, and even reward?

With all of these new additions it would help all aspects of gameplay, larger survivor groups, larger bandit groups, zombies with an AI that can't just be easily waived off, and the fact that everything is still available as a lone wolf, but with less of a bonus, just encourages the true "lone wolves" to play harder, smarter, and safer. I mean truly you get your legs broken out in the field and have to mend yourself, it'd be a pain, especially trying to find a place to stay until your up and moving again, but that would be the massive intensity that comes from this. Just imagine the boom of medical players being able to be more than just suppliers when needed, as of now most medics just drop supplies for people. They could have a true purpose now besides med delivery. It encourages even lone bandits needing certain medical procedures needed to be done by another player (for efficiency) to request or even force others to help them out. It opens avenues for everything. The only thing really missing is a free market currency system, but player ran, has no purpose, therefore useless.

As a medic/sniper myself, I tend to have my team target a player before I approach to give a warning/consequence for attacking the guy trying to help you. By the time I'm close enough to chat normally I'm spotted or heard, but the warning usually is adhered to, if not it takes 1/4 of a second for my spotter to see an attack coming, by the first shot fired 2 more ring out afterward. Only had to kill 2 people ever. Hopefully all this gets implemented, may make a medics job easier, reduce the need for double over watch. GL hope this gets implemented :D

• Like 2