Time Glitch

The ONLY Realistic Way to Prevent Deathmatching: Make DayZ a Living Hell

I just cant see me supporting these changes unless the zombies are at least half the speed they are now. As it is the only way to get a zed off you is to climb a tall hill or run in buildings. With rocket wanting zeds to run in buildings how are you going to get away if they are always on your ass. I think with them running slower the AI pathing would not be as much of a problem.

This is assuming that the new Zed AI is actually working and you can break LoS easier than you can currently, and they're unable to see/walk through walls.

I agree. This game is still to easy to survive. Especially once established in a group with tents and vehicles everywhere.

At the end of the day, the game simply needs more objectives.

As it stands now there is no reward for surviving, but it's remarkably easy to build an arsenal, so yeah of course people are going to get bored and start hunting human prey; it's arguably the most thrilling thing to do at the moment.

Some of your suggestions are sound. I agree that zombies should be harder and supplies should be more scarce, and I agree that more things should require teamwork, but I would be wary of alienating people who like to play the lone wolf. I think the most important thing is to reward people for staying alive over extended periods of time. Less people are going to want to hang out in high-risk zones killing other players if there's a greater reward for simply staying alive.

The goal should not be to eliminate PvP entirely. That would suck the fun out of the game because there is literally nothing else I can play at the moment where judging the trustworthiness other players is so important to the game; that's a big part of what attracts me to it. But I definitely agree that something needs to be done to tone it back just a little bit.

Op speaks the truth,

I Want to see also,

- Cherno, Electro, NW airfield, Berezino, Stary become a hell itself. Impossible to solo. I mean. A scary shity impossible hard pain in the *ss place to solo. Just fckn crazy guys go there alone or suicidal ones.

- As i read in this topic, make players worth more than their loot...

- Glowing zombies that make you oh shit! wtf!! * screams and resets computer* :D

Interesting suggestions. I think it would help people group up on the beaches and in cherno. But, in general, once you are geared up, I think making the game harder makes it more likely to shoot on sight since you are really dreading losing your gear. Plus once clans are on their comms, they tend to KOS anyway. I can't think of a way to avoid that, unless you force some sort of simulation of psychological consequences of murder.

I think it's worth mentioning to champions of both sides of the difficulty argument that DayZ, like anything, gets easier with practice and experience. No matter how realistic the simulation, the one thing they are unlikely to be able to replicate is the experience of first setting foot in Chernerus. That's what we experience the first time we spawn at a given location; after that, *it is immediately and permanently lost*.

Making the game more difficult, as has been pointed out many times already, makes for a better experience for veterans and a hellish one for newbies. However, that too is temporary. Give it a few weeks and the people will have worked out how best to avoid, distract or kill zombies, then this same argument will likely crop up all over again.

I myself have briefly argued in favour of making zombies more dangerous, but my starting experience--which, being less than a week ago, is still fresh in mind--was one of being torn apart by them time after time. Eventually I got better at the game, now I too (like an idiot) am looking for a bigger challenge. Assaulting NW airfield alone comes to mind. See you on the shore soon, I guess.

I'm suggesting, contrary to my earlier post, that the focus be shifted away from the zombies. No matter how difficult you make them, eventually they'll become nearly meaningless, and people will turn to PVP because other players are adaptable and provide a unpredictable and sometimes unique challenge.

To that end I would suggest make sharing resources beneficial, by all means. But be very careful about making them exceptionally rare. Can't have meaningful PVP without ammunition. Yet.

At the end of the day' date=' the game simply needs more objectives.

As it stands now there is no reward for surviving, but it's remarkably easy to build an arsenal, so yeah of course people are going to get bored and start hunting human prey; it's arguably the most thrilling thing to do at the moment.

Some of your suggestions are sound. I agree that zombies should be harder and supplies should be more scarce, and I agree that more things should require teamwork, but I would be wary of alienating people who like to play the lone wolf. I think the most important thing is to reward people for staying alive over extended periods of time. Less people are going to want to hang out in high-risk zones killing other players if there's a greater reward for simply staying alive.

The goal should not be to eliminate PvP entirely. That would suck the fun out of the game because there is literally nothing else I can play at the moment where judging the trustworthiness other players is so important to the game; that's a big part of what attracts me to it. But I definitely agree that something needs to be done to tone it back just a little bit.

[/quote']

As a lone wolf (well, mostly) I would be so glad to have these changes. It would make surviving on your own that much more meaningful. And once you are kitted out, the only option wouldn't be to search for confrontation at various hotspots anymore: just surviving and travelling from place to place would be an adventure with grueling weather conditions/wandering hordes, scarce supplies etc.

Interesting suggestions. I think it would help people group up on the beaches and in cherno. But' date=' in general, once you are geared up, I think making the game harder makes it more likely to shoot on sight since you are really dreading losing your gear. Plus once clans are on their comms, they tend to KOS anyway. I can't think of a way to avoid that, unless you force some sort of simulation of psychological consequences of murder.

[/quote']

Personally I think the only real problem with KoSing is in the early game on the southern coast. People really shouldn't shoot others so easily as it is quite easy to gear up anyway. As you said, the north would probably still be a deadzone, and that's fine with me. Just today I had an epic encounter at Stary where I lost my buddy but killed three others and drove away in ther UAZ jeep at 3600 blood. North needs to be hostile. But these changes would probably make people in the coast act together more as they have nothing to lose, and once you have looted some equipment together, you can go your separate ways or maybe even form a permanent alliance. But the battles in the north? One of the best things this game has to offer. Everyone knows north is dangerous, that people shoot others there.

I want to only add another mecanic to your idea:

There should be shacks dotted around the map, where no zeds are patrolling, these shacks must not to have food or loot.

Their function is to provide shelter from harsh conditions and weather, thus acting as an unconscious meeting point between two solos, enabling cooperation.

To increase the likelihood of such, these shacks shouldn't be in the center, but rather not too far from the spawns and ocasionally spawn tents to further stimulate teamwork ("hey dude there's a tent here, maybe we could use it to store stuff and make it a "safe house" amirite)

I definitely agree with a lot of this. This game should have more incentives for cooperation and more risks for not.

This suggestions have to be supported, the only problem is that there are some very annoying bugs in ArmAII engine and DayZ. Like zombies hearing through walls, zombies walking through doors or zeds spawning right behind you. But those were some very good ideas.

oh, i wanna add somehing else, allow further specialization of the player, examples being:

Defibs found in hospitals, player can revive anyone, but the battery runs dry after awhie, requiring recharge or finding another one, this could be paired up with. Reviving has chance of ocurring inversely proportionally to post mortum time (cannot be self applied)

Adrenaline syringe, gives boost to speed and increases chance of sucessful revive

IR binoculars (not sights), this equipment is meant to allow easier spotting of animal life, which are hotter than players. Zeds are cold and hence blacker. The point here is being the team's hunter

Hunting rifles with scopes, should do far less damage against humans (we wear vests people) and more common than mil. This'll discourage the bandit mode

Meat mincer, carried by anyone, compacts 2 pieces of meat into one, more bang for your buck.

Possibility of creating a zed repellent, to shower upon tents and "safezones" a player whishes to create, does not work on zed intense areas

Tripwires, can be used to create boobytraps, to defend a location

Make mil mags smaller, increase amount of ironsights (for that you're screwed vibe), the point here is that anyone that wants to kill kill will quickly fill its inventory with mags only, so you have to make a choice; food or killing power? But you don't have to choose if your mates can carry either for you.

If i'm correct this'll make specialization and team work far more profitable, as long as it is combined with OPs idea

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I like this idea of teaming up, but i DO NOT agree on the fact it should be only coop-gaming.

It will help bandits group to own even more noob players :(

I am part of a bandit group and i now that we would have a huge avantage on other players if the game was only on the coop aspect...

This is why i do not agree with you

Perhaps make it so you can pick to filter between 'normal' (regular/veteran etc difficulties) and 'Hell'(or maybe)'Living Hell' (Regular/Veteran) modes....

and that would provide those who want to HAVE to group up to survive (as described in this post.. quite a few cool sounding things... but some I dont think would work that great )

and... yeah.... that would provide those who want the game as it is (and as future patches/version go) ... and also have the 'Hell' game mode for those who want to make it a bigger survival Sim. and KEEP THE TWO VARIETIES SEPERATE GEAR WISE (so no playing on reg/Vet to gear up... and pick a position... to swap to Hell/Living-Hell and keep that gear)

I do agree with OP that NOW IS THE TIME to try that stuff out.... but yeah.. would be nice to have an option between both modes.

If this were the case, it would need to be easier to group up with people in-game. I don't have internet friends to play PC games with, so I play DayZ alone. I don't have the time for clans etc either.

I do agree with your suggestion on some points.

But I think that most of the features you expose in here, as other guy already said, this turns the game into a "Group only" game. And I don't like it because it is not true, not "reallistic".

Besides, torning the game apart into 2(or more) modes is going to make the game boring.

This game is supposed to be equal to everyone.

But, in other hand, I liked some of your features, specially the ones about zombie packs, etc. But for it to be implemented there must be a complete remake of the zed spawning system, because of now, you can clean Elektro entirely and very soon there will be plenty of zeds again. So, for harder zeds to exist, their spawning must be fixed aswell.

Nice topic, though.

@Time Glitch

The idea itself you proposed is amazing - for a movie or a book.

I want a game, i want to enjoy and have fun, mixed with tension and fear.

Putting all this stuff together would make the game unplayable. Make the game unplayable and people start to leave. Without people, we have no game.

It's hard to please both sides of the coin, the hardcore players and the casual players, but we can't forget that both exist.

I HATE the deathmatch feeling that is taking over this game, but i'm sure we'll find more suitable ideas to balance this, one way or another.

Don't get me wrong, we both want the same thing.

Good ideas. Honestly, I like things the way they are though. If only combat logging could be stopped...server hopping for loot. Each server should be a standalone server. Hopefully when we see the beta we can do something like that. I hate having to wait for a weak bandit to come back into the game ten minutes later after I've laid two in his chest with my 1911...if you start something, bandits, have the balls to finish it. Also, it would be really nice to know who killed who. Would make hunting that person a little easier.

I read about people and how they can be well geared inside a 1/2 hour.bad for gameplay.....make it 2 days and then this game will SHINE!!! ;)

You allways can be well geared in about 10 minutes if u wait for a victim and chop his head off with your hatchet. This will only promote the bandits who wont wait for 2 days to be well equipped. The faithfull, hard working guy who searched for 2 days to get his stuff will just be frustrated and quit playing. So that's not a really good solution for the pvp problem, if u wanna call that a problem...:cool:

AS for group play the question to answer is this.....

How can we reward players who don't know each other to team up? How do we make it where there is an actual bonus to strangers meeting and working together? How are players worth more alive then the loot on their body/dead.

But the answers need to not punish players who want to be lone wolf or be a so called Bandit.

I believe DayZ will find their way to answer these questions but it might take some sime to build these mechanics to allow this.

I agree. This game is still to easy to survive. Especially once established in a group with tents and vehicles everywhere.

To easy to survive? You should wander into a city where every jerk, behind every corner can serve a bullet to your head. Sure i don't die by the zombies in the game, i really often proved that, but i allways die by some hidden freak who was just waiting for me idiot to get on the hospital roof for medical supplies. You are right, maybe i should not try this alone, but had you ever tried to establish a friendship in game? It's near impossible.

Sure, you can come online with your real life friends and raid a server with them. 15 friends or more on a server are not to stop and they allways can hold a position till the fallen comrades are back and retake their stuff.

But that is not the way the game should work.

Nicely said, man.

I do agree with you completely.

The game should let us play alone and/or work together. The real problem in this game are the bandit jerks. If at last they were "real" bandits who kill, or threat you to give him your stuff.

This game allows good experience, allows human interaction, the problem is, and always will be, the players. who thinks that this game is a zombie deathmatch and nothing more.

This is so fucked up right now that it turned to be a chaotic chain reaction. The bandits/no-brain-players/jerks kills everybody in sight, the peaceful players are now paranoid, and mostly when they see a player or they run or shoot.

So, the game now is just about killing players no matter what allignment you think you are on.

• Like 1

AS for group play the question to answer is this.....

How can we reward players who don't know each other to team up? How do we make it where there is an actual bonus to strangers meeting and working together? How are players worth more alive then the loot on their body/dead.

But the answers need to not punish players who want to be lone wolf or be a so called Bandit.

I believe DayZ will find their way to answer these questions but it might take some sime to build these mechanics to allow this.

I think this is really promoting people to group up and be bandits together actually