Acher0n

Sniping and Handguns.

Just tried sniping for the first time ever. It's difficult. My long rang scope is damaged which doesnt help, tried camping the NWAF and saw two guys in a building. Over the course of about 10 minutes, fired 7 rounds which all missed. I was in the forest on the far side of the airfield and they were in the main loot building near the fire station. I guessed at 300/400m.

They fired the odd M4 shot at me but they had no idea where I was, then i got scared about all the noise we were making on a full server and ran away :P

Anyway, sniping is a bit of a letdown. Now you have no bipod, it's hard to fire straight, even in prone when breath holding. Figuring out ranges is hard too.

Im also annoyed I cant see where my shots are hitting. When the shot is fired, in a game like BF, you can stay down the scope, or the scope stays pretty fixed while loading the next round in. My scope is flinging around to the sky as my guy loads the next round in, but some gameplay videos dont seem to do this. Is it a patch change?

On another note, what handguns are you all using? I've got a 1911, a P1 and an FNX with just 1 mag for the 1911. I dont like the fact you only get 7 rounds in it, but cant find a FNX mag anywhere. Annoying, as i've got about 85 .45 rounds! I've tried to use a CR75 in the past but it seems way too weak to be any good. Not tried the P1 yet but i bet its rubbish too. :wacko:

So, any sniping tips or handgun preferences?

I got the Chance to use the P1 yesterday and it was a huge letdown. Vs. Z´s and Humans.

I prefer the either Longhorn/FNX or Magnum/FNX Combo. ( also, ALLWAYS store a FNX in a Container. They break faster than chopsticks )

I love the M1911, since it's the most accurate handgun and has plenty stopping power with its .45 rounds. 7 shots are more than enough to down someone. While the Magnum and FNX45 have their merits, my choice will always be the 1911. All three are viable handguns, though, so it's your choice. Anything else sucks in PVP atm. 
As for sniping, only take shots you know will hit. Don't spray and pray with a sniper, it won't work. Never panic, just stay still and focus. 

• Like 1

I guessed at 300/400m. | Figuring out ranges is hard too.

400m was pretty good - check dayzdb.com you'r able to messure distance there - so u might get a feeling for distance. You also could try to visualize mildots on you'r crosshair, helped me a lot.

Anyway, sniping is a bit of a letdown. Now you have no bipod, it's hard to fire straight, even in prone when breath holding.

Try to get a Mosin M4 Compensator - i also highly recommend to unbind "breath holding" from right mouse (wich is for zooming too) and bind it to a seperated key.

Im also annoyed I cant see where my shots are hitting. When the shot is fired, in a game like BF, you can stay down the scope, or the scope stays pretty fixed while loading the next round in. My scope is flinging around to the sky as my guy loads the next round in, but some gameplay videos dont seem to do this. Is it a patch change?

Indeed that reloadanimation is a patchchange, but still with that scope flinging around to the sky you'r able to see shots landing. BUT, at the moment the rendering of shots landing is broken, this is gonna be fixed within the next experimental patch with the unnatural jitter in the weapon sway.

Edited by Guest

I love the M1911, since it's the most accurate handgun and has plenty stopping power with its .45 rounds. 7 shots are more than enough to down someone. While the Magnum and FNX45 have their merits, my choice will always be the 1911. All three are viable handguns, though, so it's your choice. Anything else sucks in PVP atm. 

As for sniping, only take shots you know will hit. Don't spray and pray with a sniper, it won't work. Never panic, just stay still and focus. 

these are the dispersions for each handgun

Longhorn: 0.01
Amphibia S: 0.02
FNX-45: 0.03
CZ75: 0.03
Magnum: 0.03
1911: 0.3
P1: 0.03 ;)

but that's right. the 1911 is really decent. .45 deals enough damage, and 7 rounds are enough to kill an enemy, if the aiming is steady and the server doesn't get any random-ping-hick-ups xD

Just tried sniping for the first time ever. It's difficult. My long rang scope is damaged which doesnt help, tried camping the NWAF and saw two guys in a building. Over the course of about 10 minutes, fired 7 rounds which all missed. I was in the forest on the far side of the airfield and they were in the main loot building near the fire station. I guessed at 300/400m.

They fired the odd M4 shot at me but they had no idea where I was, then i got scared about all the noise we were making on a full server and ran away :P

Anyway, sniping is a bit of a letdown. Now you have no bipod, it's hard to fire straight, even in prone when breath holding. Figuring out ranges is hard too.

On another note, what handguns are you all using? I've got a 1911, a P1 and an FNX with just 1 mag for the 1911. I dont like the fact you only get 7 rounds in it, but cant find a FNX mag anywhere. Annoying, as i've got about 85 .45 rounds! I've tried to use a CR75 in the past but it seems way too weak to be any good. Not tried the P1 yet but i bet its rubbish too. :wacko:

So, any sniping tips or handgun preferences?

There is currently a bug at the moment which is causing way more sway for scopes then normal when zoomed in. Particularly noticeable with the long range scope on the mosin. As someone else pointed out, a temporary solution is to bind two keys together for the 'hold breath' command which seems to steady it. 

I've binded shift and \ and can hold them both down whilst scoped and lining up a shot. 

For sniping you might need to do a bit of homework, much like a real sniper would have to, I have a few spots from which I snipe and I range certain land marks so I know how far things are at a glance, try and find buildings or trees that are at exactly 100, 200, 300 and so on metres away and make notes or drawings, you'll only need them for a short time before you learn what your ranges are and after a while longer you'll get pretty good at judging distance with no aid at all.

here is a little image i printed off that I used to use for Svetlo' it's a spot i don't ever use any more so there is no harm in letting people see it now

p0pDT7s.jpg

My advice for the practical side of it (making the shot) would be the same as H0nkX said, unbind your "hold breath" from zoom so you can zoom in and hold breath seperatly.  Also try finding a spot with a few Zombies at distance and practice popping them, it's never the same as shooting a player as they are often running around erratically, but knowing where they are likely to stop for a second or two is also worth learning, the back of cars like police cars, in front of doors that may be closed on buildings or garages.

Also, if you are using an area more than once, try looking around for a few spots that cover your area from different angles, then you can move from spot to spot once you have someone pinned down and they think they are safe from you, and you can often bring people out of cover by putting a few shots into whatever they are hiding behind, panic will usually take over and make people do stupid things.

Watch out for clever players who will try to bait you into making shots and reveal your position so their mates can pin point you and always keep checking your surroundings for players trying to flank you, it's best to snipe in teams, someone with an assault rifle watching your back helps, or keeping entrances to a building covered if you are indoors.

EDIT

Another cool thing to note is if you take someone down, their body will usually start to sttract other players who will want to loot it, don't start shooting at people as soon as they appear, let them hang around the body for a while, maybe even let the first few go, they might have friends and thae them back for more, when they are looting, you have a very easy shot, but still best to lull them into a false sense of security.

Edited by daringd
  • Like 4

Well no one expects 'sniping' to be easy and it shouldn't, its not just point and shoot. If anything I would like to see it become even more realistic with other effects taken into consideration such as windage, elevation etc. And this is a nice version of the Mos.

archangel-opfor-precision-rifle-stock-fo

Mosin Nagent modernized ;)

As for the 1911, a 7 round mag is standard, its a single stack of large caliber bullets (and my personal favourite). You can get drum mags for the old gal in RL but best have a RONNI or something similar to use it in as it gets rather heavy, plus they tend to be extremely problematic, in other words better off having half a dozen 7 shot mags than one hunk of shite.

• Like 2

I got the Chance to use the P1 yesterday and it was a huge letdown. Vs. Z´s and Humans.

I was on experimental checking out the new "NEAF" when some asshat with an axe rushed me, I pulled that lil P1 and started shooting at the same time he started swinging. he connected and I went out like a light after squeezing off 4 rounds. when I woke up a couple of mins later the guy was no where to be seen so I started lookin. I found him a couple of meters away facedown in the grass dead as a doornail so I took all the gear I didn't trash when I shot him and went on my merry way. oh and that was all from the hip and on the fly so that lil P1 aint too horrible.

• Like 1

the 1911 is my weapon of choice right now. as i can only use the akm when camping a spot.

i rule the tentcity with my engraved 1911.  so accurate

the 1911 is my weapon of choice right now. as i can only use the akm when camping a spot.

i rule the tentcity with my engraved 1911.  so accurate

that wasn't you I gunned down with my FNX yesterday at the tents was it? because if it was you shouldn't shoot at people you can't kill, they might hunt you down and kill you instead. however I did fall to the friend of whoever that was. it was cute, the "revenge taker" couldn't have been more than 12 years old and he tells me "that's for my friend.." I told him "your friend is a bad shot and now hes dead and his gear is gone..." I forget to tell him its not really revenge when he is just completing the murder his friend attempted.

as for the topic I like my FNX and the mosin w/LRS but I will use whatever I can get my hands on be it a screwdriver or grenade launcher...

currently use the FNX.45 for its larger clip and powerful put-down 45cal.  Amphibia S is also a favourite as it's silenced (for players at least - still seems to draw zombies) although weak with it's .22 round, a few headshots up close do the trick.  1911 is still a good beast of a pistol.

as above, use the dayz.db map which allows you to measure distances between two points.  I measured NWAF a while ago doing a similar thing to you and i have its width at 346m concrete-concrete at right angles to it's length so you may have been a little short. 

Also take into consideration bullet travel time, as they are not hitscan, on moving targets.

Also as above, i'd recommend a spotter with some kind of backup weapon to be placed in a position to assist you should things get hot, and also to call out your shots and targets (though i can't find binocs since last patch, a friend and I got quite good at ranging to targets at Balota airstrip.  There's some nice elevation there for you, although multiple enemy entries unless you know how to lock down your vulnurable sides... quite a few Z's down there too if you feel like having a plink.

Upgrade your scope to at or above worn, but keep at it.  It is a learned skill and eventually you'll be getting the 'feel' of the range and won't need to estimate other than dialling in your Range to Target and waiting for an opening.  you could also try the AKM+PSO scope.  I've had a bit of practice but i'm not having too much trouble hitting things at 400m-500m which I think is close to the limit of effective range, but a sizeable one at that.  Most scenarios short of spider-camping are <200m for me.  But i prefer being a little closer.

I feel you on the shots part though.  Personally, I'd rather the rifle/player character didn't move straight to reload before i've assessed my shot.  Similar to your BF4 analogy, i'd like the gun to remain unchambered until I chamber it (click once or something) though the current 'auto-chamber' is probably better for closer / quicker encounters where that extra second reloading may count all the more.

Edited by q.S Sachiel
  • Like 1

Well no one expects 'sniping' to be easy and it shouldn't, its not just point and shoot. If anything I would like to see it become even more realistic with other effects taken into consideration such as windage, elevation etc. And this is a nice version of the Mos.

archangel-opfor-precision-rifle-stock-fo

Mosin Nagent modernized ;)

As for the 1911, a 7 round mag is standard, its a single stack of large caliber bullets (and my personal favourite). You can get drum mags for the old gal in RL but best have a RONNI or something similar to use it in as it gets rather heavy, plus they tend to be extremely problematic, in other words better off having half a dozen 7 shot mags than one hunk of shite.

No that is just a mosin removed of its only benefit.

The mosins only advantage is its ruggedness and ability to take a beating while still working. That's gone with that cheap plastic stock.

yesterday at the tents was it?

Balota?

Burning Flare near the Rails?

Balota?

Burning Flare near the Rails?

oops I don't recall burning flares but the guy I gunned down was at the tracks all right. it was daytime tho and I was facing the sun so flares could have been involved. if that was you and you didn't shoot at me then I apologize. I would certainly hate to gun down someone that didn't shoot at me first, that's just bad form. your little friend made nice work of me, however, hope he saved you some gear ;) oh and yes, balota.

oops I don't recall burning flares but the guy I gunned down was at the tracks all right. it was daytime tho and I was facing the sun so flares could have been involved. if that was you and you didn't shoot at me then I apologize. I would certainly hate to gun down someone that didn't shoot at me first, that's just bad form. your little friend made nice work of me, however, hope he saved you some gear ;) oh and yes, balota.

guess it wasn't you, i was gunned down near the 2 story fortified nest at the road left to balota.

2-3 minutes later, my mate who is almost 30 with a creepy kid voice gunned my killer (also somewhere near the road) down and i heard him screaming: that's for my friend...

still funny that it was almost a similiar situation u had :)

sorry for hijacking your thread op.

Edited by Guest

guess it wasn't you, i was gunned down near the 2 story fortified nest at the road left to balota.

2-3 minutes later, my mate who is almost 30 with a creepy kid voice gunned my killer (also somewhere near the road) down and i heard him screaming: that's for my friend...

still funny that it was almost a similiar situation u had :)

sorry for hijacking your thread op.

oh how creepy, the guy's body was near the tracks on the ocean side of the tents - I wonder if the guy I shot was the guy that gunned you down and was taking shots at me - I did take a couple of shots at another player by the road because I assumed he was with the guy I killed but I didn't hit him, he was also quite a ways from my position at the tracks and pretty close to the airfield (the guy I missed). I also assume that was the guy that killed me - he caught up to me in a tent not too far from the road and that double stack nest so we may have had an accidental dance of death out there - fun times - oh and the guy that killed me said exactly that - "that's for my friend..."

OP I also apologize for the hijacking of your thread

Slightly off-topic, but regards to the pistols...I don't think I've ever had one shot at me yet! The P1 and 1911 are my current personal favourites but again, I don't think I've ever truly used one, certainly not in PvP. With how easy it is to find an SKS, Mosin (and before recent times, the M4) and the fact zombies can be taken down easily with several melee weapons that don't draw others in, the sidearms always seemed a little pointless sadly.

Slightly off-topic, but regards to the pistols...I don't think I've ever had one shot at me yet! The P1 and 1911 are my current personal favourites but again, I don't think I've ever truly used one, certainly not in PvP. With how easy it is to find an SKS, Mosin (and before recent times, the M4) and the fact zombies can be taken down easily with several melee weapons that don't draw others in, the sidearms always seemed a little pointless sadly.

its kinda rough to have a CQC moment with a mosin sporting an LRS without first removing the optics - I can pull an FNX a little faster than I can remove the scope from the mosin and I still have to close inventory to shoot the mosin. FNX is good to go from the onset and fires at least 5 times as fast. I used the P1 yesterday on an axe wielding fresh spawn but it didn't quite have the punch of the FNX, he landed a good shot or two and knocked me out but he was dead when I came to a couple o mins later.

No that is just a mosin removed of its only benefit.

The mosins only advantage is its ruggedness and ability to take a beating while still working. That's gone with that cheap plastic stock.

Going out on a limb here, but I'd say that 'cheap plastic stock' is probably constructed from highly advanced modern plastics (or maybe aluminium alloy) that can probably withstand a whole lot rougher treatment than a piece of timber.

• Like 1

Tbh, im only really putting so much effort into my pistol because all I have is a mosin which im using to try and snipe. When i've had an M4 in the past, i've never given much thought to pistols. The SKS is another matter, im not a huge fan of it, it feels too bukly to me, but maybe i need to give it another go.

The inventory is too clunky to mess about with pulling scopes on or off, and I just think that at close range, being able to loose off 4 or 5 rounds in 2 seconds is going to keep me alive longer than going accurate close range Mosin shots. Because of how fast people can run in this game and how glitchy and laggy it can be, taking your chance with single action mosin shots is taking a big chance imo.

In relation to the map suggestion on dayzdb, is there a specific part of the map youre using to figure out the range? Im ust using the squares and having a bit of a guess, but the suggestion seems to be you can somehow draw point to point and get an accurate 'to the metre' figure?

Edited by Acher0n

In relation to the map suggestion on dayzdb, is there a specific part of the map youre using to figure out the range? Im ust using the squares and having a bit of a guess, but the suggestion seems to be you can somehow draw point to point and get an accurate 'to the metre' figure?

when you click somewhere on the dayzdb map it will make a mark and when you click again it will give you the distance between the marks in meters.

Going out on a limb here, but I'd say that 'cheap plastic stock' is probably constructed from highly advanced modern plastics (or maybe aluminium alloy) that can probably withstand a whole lot rougher treatment than a piece of timber.

It is not.

It's cheap polymer plastic the company is known to make junk that is often times poorly fitting.

The stock mosin stock is built like a tank you if you start hitting a building with it I think the building will break first. Its solid at the expense of not being fun to shoot that steel buttpad hurts.

• Like 1

I'm impressed that so far this seems like a pretty friendly thread, everyone seems to be chipping in.

I think there is a hatred of snipers because of the nature of the kill, you never get to really see where it comes from, or at least if you get killed by an effective sniper, and I have a real respect for people that are sniping from distances of 7 or 8 hundred metres, I've found a few really great spots for sniping balota and that new town west of Svetlo, and a shit ton of positions around the very new large town, the beauty of that place is that most people would be expecting a sniper from those rock ridges, so they look there first, but there are a lot of places you can hide and get a shot off before changin position instantly and picking up your target from a new angle.

I'd really love to get a small team of people who are serious about sniping, some backups for watch their backs and then a few runners who can sit down in the town to loot and hide the bodies, thus resetting the trap for new punters.

I've done this with four people, but really you need at least six to be effective and constantly have two angles plus a backup on each with two people to run.

Counter to what most peole might think though, I hope they don't introduce dedicated sniper rifles, the Moose Nugget has a certain "gully-ass" feel to it and makes me feel super immersed, and it's effective range is not crazy either, though the network bubble makes anything over 1km useless anyway I guess.

I do hope they introduce jury rigged ghillie suits and the like, I imagine a few burlap sacks and green and black t shirts and tactical shirts would suffice for something like that (with a pair of scissors and a sowing kit)

Plus, and hear me out on this, I'd love to be able to duct tape a long range scope to the side of assault rifles, not for shooting, obviously, but as a sort of ad-hoc telescope that isn't taking up inventory slots, I think taping all manner of shit to your rifle would be pretty great. and the burlap sack wrapping for a mosin with a long range...  

It is not.

It's cheap polymer plastic the company is known to make junk that is often times poorly fitting.

The stock mosin stock is built like a tank you if you start hitting a building with it I think the building will break first. Its solid at the expense of not being fun to shoot that steel buttpad hurts.

I can only speak for the m44, but 7 rounds of heavy ball and your shoulder certainly feels it....well, whats left of it anyway.