Acher0n

Sniping and Handguns.

Just tried sniping for the first time ever. It's difficult. My long rang scope is damaged which doesnt help, tried camping the NWAF and saw two guys in a building. Over the course of about 10 minutes, fired 7 rounds which all missed. I was in the forest on the far side of the airfield and they were in the main loot building near the fire station. I guessed at 300/400m.

They fired the odd M4 shot at me but they had no idea where I was, then i got scared about all the noise we were making on a full server and ran away :P

Anyway, sniping is a bit of a letdown. Now you have no bipod, it's hard to fire straight, even in prone when breath holding. Figuring out ranges is hard too.

Im also annoyed I cant see where my shots are hitting. When the shot is fired, in a game like BF, you can stay down the scope, or the scope stays pretty fixed while loading the next round in. My scope is flinging around to the sky as my guy loads the next round in, but some gameplay videos dont seem to do this. Is it a patch change?

On another note, what handguns are you all using? I've got a 1911, a P1 and an FNX with just 1 mag for the 1911. I dont like the fact you only get 7 rounds in it, but cant find a FNX mag anywhere. Annoying, as i've got about 85 .45 rounds! I've tried to use a CR75 in the past but it seems way too weak to be any good. Not tried the P1 yet but i bet its rubbish too. :wacko:

So, any sniping tips or handgun preferences?

Sniping tips - Bind hold breath to 2 keys. I use f1 and f2, but you can use what ever you want. Also, sniping in DayZ is a huge letdown compared to previous BI games. I mean, I'm good at sniping in DayZ, but not anywhere close to as good as I am in Arma. In Arma 3 I can hit shots up to 1400m on still targets, and 700m on moving targets effectively all day. Using my trusty .408, of course. You can actually see the splash when you shoot, unlike DayZ. Like you said. Hopefully future rifles will have less kick, or a more effective bipod.

If you're too lazy to rebind your keys, like I am (yes I'm well aware that's some high level laziness =P) you can use the + - on the numpad to zoom in/out, so you don't have to hold your breath.  Added benefit of being able to zoom in/out in increments rather fully.

Sniping sucks right now though, I'd wait till the patches.  You'll be able to see impacts again, weapon sway will be fixed and bipods will be attachable again.  It'll return to being too easy to snipe probably =P  Though that's still better than just being shitty as it currently stands.

I prefer the magnum for style points as my pistol of choice.  If I were going for pure practicality either the FNX or the CR75 would probably be best, since they have the highest capacities.  All the pistols seem to have shit accuracy.  Go shoot a wall, the spread is absurd.

1911 is stylish too though, for certain.

No that is just a mosin removed of its only benefit.

The mosins only advantage is its ruggedness and ability to take a beating while still working. That's gone with that cheap plastic stock.

I've seen plenty of wooden stocks crack with usage and then its a throw away as it becomes a dangerous weapon to shoot so whats wrong with modernizing it? Where has the ruggedness gone eh, as I'm sure the barrel and action will keep working even if the cross bashed around a bit, will it not work with the stock changed?. Its polymer for starters so not just any old 'plastic', would you consider that a Glock can't take a beating ? or a S&W MP?

But this being said, you're right, it is made by a certain company.....

Edited by Legio23